PDA

View Full Version : David Gilmour's: On An Island

Mythra
03-18-2006, 02:44 PM
Just bought this cd last night, and while I still prefer his work with Pink Floyd better, I thought that this was still a really good cd in its own right. The title track is just a grea song. So has anyone here listened to the cd and if so what are your thoughts on it.

Crushed Hope
03-18-2006, 03:43 PM
This is actually a very good album, and I was impressed by it. It is alot better than that boring crap in Pink Floyd, and I actually had a chance to listen to all of it on the radio during a shower back last week.

Very calm and soothing.

Mythra
03-18-2006, 06:03 PM
Everyone has their own opinion, but I'm just curious as to which Pink Floyd songs you think are boring??? I mean the pure greatness of Comfortably Numb, Brain Damage, Us and Them, hell the entire Dark Side of the Moon album, and High Hopes (among many, many others) are certaintly not boring songs. But I guess everyone has their own tastes. Which ones have you listened to, maybe you just listened to something that wasn't very good.

Crushed Hope
03-18-2006, 06:41 PM
Everyone has their own opinion, but I'm just curious as to which Pink Floyd songs you think are boring??? I mean the pure greatness of Comfortably Numb, Brain Damage, Us and Them, hell the entire Dark Side of the Moon album, and High Hopes (among many, many others) are certaintly not boring songs. But I guess everyone has their own tastes. Which ones have you listened to, maybe you just listened to something that wasn't very good.

Well, I've heard The Wall, Wish You Were Here, Animals, Dark Side of The Moon, and Meddle.

I do admit though, that I absolutely adore the song Comfortably Numb.

Mythra
03-20-2006, 08:34 PM
Ok as long as you like Comfortably Numb you're good in my book. How about Wish You Were Here (song, not the album) though?

Crushed Hope
03-20-2006, 08:45 PM
I don't really remember that song too much, but I will have to check it out again.

Vincent, Thunder God
03-22-2006, 06:48 PM
-EDIT:Ok nevermind about me requesting the songs, I found them on Limewire-

Oh, and for the record, to some Pink Floyd may seem long-winded and boring, but to me the length is there to properly build the song. Some may see it as self-indulgent, but IMO it is there for the artistic quality of bulding a song up to magnificence.

Brian The Pink Shark
03-22-2006, 08:56 PM
I aint heard it yet is it anything like his other albums? :choc:

Mythra
03-22-2006, 09:03 PM
I haven't listened to much of his other stuff, but On An Island is similar to his later stuff with Pink Floyd. The melodic songs mainly. If you've listened to the title track thats pretty much what the rest of the songs sound like. A little different perhaps, but the overall tone and mood of the song is basically the same.

Vincent, Thunder God
03-23-2006, 01:21 AM
Ok, I just got the album off Limewire, and I must say I am not impressed. Granted, it's listenable, but overall it's a tired collection of half-baked songs IMO. Doesn't touch his Pink Floyd stuff at all. But I will say this: he is undoubtedly still the King of the Strat Guitar!

Mythra
03-23-2006, 01:50 AM
Sadly i would have to agree. Besides the song, On An Island, the other ones just don't touch his Floyd stuff like you said Vincent

Vincent, Thunder God
03-23-2006, 03:15 AM
I listened to Take a Breath again, it's not too bad. It's my fave so far. On an Island (the song) is ok. The start of Take a Breath sounds like Syd Barret on guitar - if you haven't listened to Piper at the Gates of Dawn yet Thanatos189, you should try it just to get a feel for their first album. It's so different! And at first I hated it... but eventually I started to like Syd. It's an aquired taste for sure.

Mythra
03-23-2006, 12:55 PM
Yeah I\'ll have to take a look at some of their old stuff. I think the oldest music I have by them is Dark Side of the Moon. I\'ve listened to the older songs on Echoes, like See Emily Play, Jugband Blues, Arnold Layne and its actually grown on me quite a bit.

Vincent, Thunder God
03-23-2006, 08:21 PM
Yeah I\'ll have to take a look at some of their old stuff. I think the oldest music I have by them is Dark Side of the Moon. I\'ve listened to the older songs on Echoes, like See Emily Play, Jugband Blues, Arnold Layne and its actually grown on me quite a bit.

These are some good old albums: Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Atom Heart Mother, Meddle, Obscured by Clouds.

These are some average old albums (good but non-essential): A Saucerful of Secrets, More, Ummagumma (double-album).

These are some good albums past Dark Side of the Moon: Wish you Were Here, Animals, the Wall.

These albums do not feature Roger Waters, but are still fairly good: A Momentary Lapse of Reason (only so-so) and the Division Bell (quite good).

Mythra
03-23-2006, 09:09 PM
Yeah I have pretty much everything by them after The Wall except for the Final Cut and Relics I think. Pink Floyd is one of my favorite bands of all time so I know quite a bit about them.

Vincent, Thunder God
03-23-2006, 11:12 PM
Yeah I have pretty much everything by them after The Wall except for the Final Cut and Relics I think. Pink Floyd is one of my favorite bands of all time so I know quite a bit about them.

The final cut was awful. I downloaded that as well (I'm in no way a huge downloader, the Floyd albums I like I bought all as CDs, I just want to test out some of the other Floyd CDs I don't have). Roger Waters takes over wholly and completely, only one song isn't sung by him, everything is written by him, and it doesn't sound like Floyd at all.