PDA

View Full Version : Question about a computer virus I got.

darkchrono
03-18-2006, 11:58 PM
Several days ago I opened up an email from a supposed football site that I am a member of. But it actually wasn't from the board administrators it was infact from somebody who hacked their website and used their email to hack into people's computers. Ever since then my computer has been acting rather buggy and I have been running anti virus scans on it and it still does not seem to totally relieve the problem.

Well just today I got a message that popped onto my computer about a way to fix the registry problems and that wast through a website called fixthereg.net.

So I was wondering is this an actual way that my computer is trying to come up with on how to fix the problem. Or is this another thing I should be suspicious of. I do notice that in order to supposedly fix the problem you have to fork over the fee.

My brother is coming home in about a week and he knows alot about computers and will probably know how to fix it. So should I wait until he comes back or would it be safe to trust that website my computer gave me and pay the $20 to try to fix the registry codes on my computer.

crono_logical
03-19-2006, 01:15 AM
Don't trust the site, especially if you get a popup telling you to go there when you shouldn't be getting such messages in the first place - it's likely whoever made that site has something to do with whatever infection you've got and they're trying to scam money from you, at the same time leaving you infected maybe with something else telling you to go to yet another site, and the process repeats :p The scam must be catching a fair number of people though, for them to go to all this trouble :p You'd be better waiting for your brother.

Antivirus scans isn't enough, you need to be doing spyware scans as well.

Best remedy in these cases is a reformat and reinstall of Windows anyway :D