PDA

View Full Version : V for Vendetta

Ouch!
03-19-2006, 01:53 AM
I found the movie to be a very enjoyable experience. More accurately, it kicked ass. I think that I'm mostly relieved that it didn't turn out to be a bunch of special effects with little substance.

For those of you who have seen it: what'd you think?
For those of you who haven't: do so now.

Death Penalty
03-19-2006, 01:54 AM
I doubt that I am gonna watch it as Alan Moore took his name off because he found it to be innacurate.

escobert
03-19-2006, 01:54 AM
I want to see it soooo bad :(

Dreddz
03-19-2006, 01:55 AM
Oh God Death Penalty, were like twins...

Ouch!
03-19-2006, 01:56 AM
I suppose the inaccuracy doesn't bother me because I've never read the comics it's based off of. I'd like to take a look at them, though.

Lychon
03-19-2006, 01:59 AM
I saw this film last night. I loved the message it portrayed about freedom and the rights of people on this planet, plus the choreography and special effects were excellent. There were moments when the plot was a bit "cheesy," or more accurately, melodramatic.

Overall, this was probably a B+/A- film. Go see it!!!

-LYCHON

P.S. "FREEDOM!! FOREVER!!"- the tagline of "V for Vendetta"

Tifa's Real Lover(really
03-19-2006, 02:01 AM
i aint gonna see tht crap

Death Penalty
03-19-2006, 02:11 AM
I saw this film last night. I loved the message it portrayed about freedom and the rights of people on this planet, plus the choreography and special effects were excellent. There were moments when the plot was a bit "cheesy," or more accurately, melodramatic.

Overall, this was probably a B+/A- film. Go see it!!!

-LYCHON

P.S. "FREEDOM!! FOREVER!!"- the tagline of "V for Vendatta"
I f you like the movie you should read the cmic its guaranteed to be 19X
better.

Vyk
03-19-2006, 04:04 AM
I've been obsessing over the trailers on Yahoo! movies for a good month or so. But I did the same thing with Ultra Violet and was sorely dissappointed with that movie. So this time I decided to wait for opinions before wasting money. Looks to be not so disappointing. So I probably will check it out.

Azure Chrysanthemum
03-19-2006, 05:39 AM
I'm really not sure if I want to see this movie or not. I just completed a Graphic Novel literature class, and V for Vendetta was one of the graphic novels we read and analyzed. The graphic novel itself is very good, and from what I saw of the trailers the movie could POTENTIALLY have the content that makes the graphic novel good. But it easily could not.

Also, the thing to remember about Alan Moore is that he's an uber obsessive control freak. We're talking about the man who wrote 5 pages to describe a single panel. Apparently David Lloyd, the artist of V for Vendetta, thought it was a pretty good graphic novel to screen translation, and Alan Moore wouldn't have been happy unless they'd copied the comic word-for-word down to the last detail.

Death Penalty
03-19-2006, 05:39 AM
If you havent read the comics it will be great. The problem is its not a faithful adaptation of the movie.

Miriel
03-19-2006, 09:56 AM
I watched it tonight with Del Murder and we both thought it was awesome.

Hugo Weaving freakin' rocked it as "V" and he carried the entire movie. How can someone be so amazingly charismatic and passionate and heartfelt while wearing a mask for the entire duration of the film? It was magnificent. Natalie Portman was great when she wasn't talking, but her accent was too distracting for me whenever she opened her mouth to speak.

But yeah, excellent movie. :up:

Raistlin
03-19-2006, 10:00 AM
I haven't seen it yet, but I want to. Especially after reading <a href="http://hammeroftruth.com/2006/03/19/v-for-vendetta/">this</a>.

Cz
03-19-2006, 10:21 AM
It's been getting some terrible reviews over here, but that doesn't make me any less enthusiastic about seeing this movie.

Death Penalty
03-19-2006, 10:24 AM
If you like the comic youll find the movie decent. But remember its not a faithful conversion to movie

Azure Chrysanthemum
03-19-2006, 10:25 AM
It's good to hear that V was charismatic, because he is VERY charismatic in the graphic novel. They actually mention that several times. I am intrigued.

Kirobaito
03-19-2006, 08:44 PM
I thought it was all right, but at times it was over-wordy and for some reason it gave me the impression of being anti-climactic.

XxSephirothxX
03-19-2006, 09:58 PM
I didn't get a chance to see it this weekend, but I'm definitely going to before it leaves theatres. Well done comic book movies are <3.

SoulTaker*
03-19-2006, 09:59 PM
I will see it, I believe Hugo stole the show in the Matrix movies, and Im sure he is gonna be good in this.

Winter Nights
03-20-2006, 06:29 PM
As for Alan Moore, he's refusing to have his name on ANY movie adaption of ANY of his works. And based on the movie and his interviews, I doubt the script he read was even the final shooting script.

All in all, I loved the film. I've not finished reading the graphic novel, but from what I can tell, the spirit of novel is definately there, even if it's not a direct adaption. Most news sites are stating to see the movie as an "Inspired By" feature, rather than a "Based On" feature.

Necronopticous
03-20-2006, 07:09 PM
I saw it last night and honestly I wasn't looking forward to it at all... I've never read the graphic novel and I pretty much hate the Wachowskis so I really didn't expect to care for it. I have to say that I was genuinely blown away, I really really liked it. Definately the best "comic-book" movie so far, surpassing even Sin City in my mind, and probably the best film I've seen yet this year.

I'd have paid the $12.50 just to see Natalie Portman dressed up in rorikon.

Rengori
03-20-2006, 07:22 PM
I want to see it soooo bad :(

Winter Nights
03-20-2006, 07:24 PM
I'd have paid the $12.50 just to see Natalie Portman dressed up in rorikon.
Who wouldn't? :p

Del Murder
03-21-2006, 02:39 AM
I saw it and it was awesome. Miriel is right that Hugo Weaving definitely stole the show. He is so articulate that it's amazing. The story was very good, the way it was put together was good, everything was good. Best movie I have seen all year. I think I would like to read the graphic novel some day.

Madame Adequate
03-22-2006, 01:27 AM
Yeah, I'm having great difficulty understanding how a man in a mask could be one of the most charismatic, likable characters I've seen on celluloid, but he is. Hugo Weaving deserves something special for this. It was quite wonderful.

Excellent movie, all things considered. Makes me want to start setting up anarchistic plots, to be frank :p

Sephex
03-22-2006, 02:03 AM
My dad and I saw the movie on Sunday. We both have read the comic, and we thought the movie version was real good despite some changes. I had my expectations around "moderate" and they were blown away.

Reles
03-23-2006, 06:19 AM
I agree with Necro. I came into the theatres thinking I was going to hate it and found out it was from a comic and decided right then and there it would be stupid. I have to agree that this is probably my favorite movie I have seen this year and I enjoyed every moment of it. I didn't want it to end.

FallenAngel411
03-23-2006, 06:25 AM
This movie wasn't even on my radar until a minute ago. You people make a convincing case. If only I had cash in my wallet. :/

Seifer
03-25-2006, 04:20 AM
Classical orchestra + destruction = instant win in my book. I might even go as far to say that the combination of those two things are better than sex. =P

Aside from the action and the actual intrique of V, the overall message was also quite something.

Now, I haven't read the comic, but I doubt I'd enjoy it as much since it lacks the orchestral soundtrack and motion of the movie, so I'm just going to take a zero on that and say this movie satifies me to the point where I won't ever have to read it. Heh...

Vincent, Thunder God
03-25-2006, 04:22 AM
Never heard of it, probably don't want to see it, no offense. I find Hollywood to be a huge mass-marketed load of stereotyped-ridden sh*t. IMO.

Mythra
03-25-2006, 04:29 AM
Thought it was a great movie. Easily the best movie I have seen this year or in the months to come. Went into the theatres thinking "how in the hell is a guy in a mask with no changing facial expression gonna make me get into the movie?" Really glad I was wrong, easily the best performance of Hugo Weaving imo, although he did play a great Agent Smith in the Matrix trilogy. "Mr. Anderson" is as simple as they get, but the way Weaving does it is just brilliant. Truely a great actor

SoulTaker*
03-25-2006, 06:47 AM
Just saw it, and I must say it was brilliant. One of the best films I have had the pleasure of seeing in a long time. The acting and characters were incredible. Hugo is at the top of his class in terms of acting. And Natalie Portman was good as well. V rising from the fire, and the girls letters were very powerful scenes.

Despotus
03-25-2006, 07:02 AM
Yeah, I'm having great difficulty understanding how a man in a mask could be one of the most charismatic, likable characters I've seen on celluloid, but he is. I felt the same way about Jason, didn't you?

Hugo Weaving deserves something special for this. It was quite wonderful.
Can you say, Oscar?

Favorite line: "Now, it's my turn.":cool:

Miriel
03-25-2006, 07:06 AM
If the Academy could turn their nose on Andy Serkis for his performance as Gollum, there's no way they would give Hugo Weaving a chance for this role.

But the general public seems to be in agreement that he was wonderful, and I think it's enough that he has the appreciation of the fans.

Despotus
03-25-2006, 07:27 AM
Well, Gollum was a C.G.I. character. They can't give a best actor award to a "cartoon". I think a man in a mask, though, maybe fits in the parameters of eligibility.

Raven Nox
03-25-2006, 07:49 AM
I saw it a few days ago, I didn't even really know what it was when I went it, but I really enjoyed the movie anyway. Now that I know there's a comic, I might go looking for it. It's it's better than the movie, then I'll love the comic.

And yes, Hugo does deserve something for his performance. He was wonderful.

Miriel
03-25-2006, 08:43 AM
Well, Gollum was a C.G.I. character. They can't give a best actor award to a "cartoon". I think a man in a mask, though, maybe fits in the parameters of eligibility.
Andy Serkis was eligable for the award, and actually had a chance (albeit a small one) of getting nominated. Moreso than Hugo Weaving for a part that was carried mostly by magnicient voice acting. Body movements and such come into play of course, but Gollum was a full-bodied and more importantly, a fully facial performance in addition to the voice acting. Weaving does not have that to his credit.

I'm sure he'll be awarded by various fan awards, and deservedly so, but the Academy will not show him any consideration.

DeathKnight
03-25-2006, 10:18 AM
This movie is one of the lamest thing I've ever seen.......well it goes alongside that other movie with the guy turning into a dog.

Hollywood's going down the drain, those bastards are just a bunch of rich dogs without imagination nor a good sense of majority of the people. A lot of the actors they hire are lame and keep making the same kind of movies.

Hollywood's getting old, there's nothing fresh there anymore. I hope it rots to death.

Death Penalty
03-25-2006, 10:28 AM
This comes from the guy who describes Cyclops of the X-Men as a cool military looking dude. Its good. My problem is hat it isnt a faithful translation. Thats all.

DeathKnight
03-25-2006, 11:22 AM
This comes from the guy who describes Cyclops of the X-Men as a cool military looking dude. Its good. My problem is hat it isnt a faithful translation. Thats all.

whoa! hold it kid. Just because Cyclops was portrayed as young dumbass in the X-Men movies doesn't mean that he wasn't a kick ass leader in the comic/tv(cartoon) series:irked: :irked: :irked:

Death Penalty
03-25-2006, 09:28 PM
Are you trippin. Did you even ever read the comics? He was a horrible lil boy scout in the comics and tv show.

Despotus
03-25-2006, 09:55 PM
Yeah, too true. If you're looking for 'military dude', check out Bishop. Anyway, let's get back to V for Vendetta, ok? I frickin' about lost it when that lil girl got wasted. It was one of the most enfuriating moments of the whole flick. So glad to see her dad and bro in the final ensemble. You can't keep good people down. :cool:

SoulTaker*
03-25-2006, 10:16 PM
Yeah, too true. If you're looking for 'military dude', check out Bishop. Anyway, let's get back to V for Vendetta, ok? I frickin' about lost it when that lil girl got wasted. It was one of the most enfuriating moments of the whole flick. So glad to see her dad and bro in the final ensemble. You can't keep good people down. :cool:
Ha! When the fingerman or whatever that shot her tries to show his badge to the mob like it was gonna do any good. The fight in the sewer was awesome. :shoot:

Madame Adequate
03-26-2006, 02:35 AM

Uhhh... Moore's a complete control freak. He has written essays five pages long to describe single panels he has done in the past. I don't know many people who consider his opinion on the matter to actually be valid - and nobody who saw the thing thinks so. Take the chance, it's only a few bucks and a couple of hours. I very sincerely doubt you will be disappointed.

Tidus Andronicus
03-26-2006, 04:56 AM
I'm hearing a LOT of good things about this movie!
And I'm very interested in what I've heard of the plot so far...

So, I think tomorrow I'm gonna go to the IMAX theater to see it in 3D!

:p hey for $8 I can't pass up seeing a good movie in 3D. ^_~