PDA

View Full Version : FFVIII's story related to WWI and WWII?

Doublehex
03-19-2006, 02:28 AM
Source: DarkCerberus from ffwa.org

Anywho, to get to the point, I've been replaying FFVIII lately and some things just seemed to be bugging me about the plot. It semed a bit too familiar, but not because I've played it so much.

It seems to me that a lot of the main plot seems to be closely related to WWI & WWII. Maybe this has been said before, and I'm sorry if it has or if I'm the only one reetarded enough to not have seen it on my first playthrough.

A couple of things just seemed to make sense historically:

Esthar- The most technically advanced country in the FFVIII world cuts itself off from the rest of the world after the end of the first sorceress war.

America- The most technically advanced country of our modern world cut itself off from the rest of the world after WWI

Ultimecia- Wants to compress past, present and future to create a world that she alone controls
- Uses pawns such as Edea to help her to find Ellone which is the only way she can compress time

Hitler- Wants to take over and combine most of Europe and Russia to create a Greater Germany that he alone controls
- Uses pawns such as Mussolini and the Japanese guy who's name I can't remember to help him take over other areas to create Greater Germany

Esthar- Although strictly speaking the first sorceress war was Esthar's fault for having went along with Adel's evil plans for domination (possibly not voluntarily), at the end of the war, a small group of people went against Adel and ultimately got rid of her by blasting her into space. Then Esthar was again at peace with the world and quietly dislodged itself from the happenings of the rest of the world.

Germany*- The first world war was strictly Germany's fault for going along with the Kaiser's evil plans for domination of an overseas empire**. At the end of the war, the Kaiser abdicated and no-one ever heard what happened to him*** Then a small group of German's signed a peace treaty with the rest of the world and it quietly dislodged itself from the rest of the world so as to not draw attention to itself and to start repaying the harsh reparations.

* I am aware that I have already compared Esthar to America, but it kinda fits with the post WWI Germany as well

** Not so sure if he wnted the world as well, could someone clarify?

*** Again not so sure, clarification anyone?

O.K. I'll admit this next one could be seen as a complete shot in the dark, but:

Norg and Cid- Cid had to borrow money from Norg to help to start up Garden. He didn't actually want to borrow the money from Norg because Norg wanted Garden to be making an absolute fortune for him

Germany & America- Germany had to borrow money from America to pay back reparations to the rest of the world. They hated having to do it for they knew that they would lose even more money due to interest on the loans.

Possibly the longest shot that I've ever taken:

The Lunar Cry- It wiped out the Centran civilisation X,000 years ago. It completely destroyed everything there and the country has been nearly completely barren ever since.

The Atomic Bombs- Wiped out Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Completely destroyed everything in the area. Don't know if people live there now. Wouldn't think so though

And the last point that I can think of at this moment in time is in no way linked to either war or the time between them:

Pupu- A rare sight found near Timber, Trabia, Kashkabald Desert and Winhill.

U.F.O.'s- U.F.O.'s are commonly sighted in secluded areas where no-one can check this to be true, such as areas like deserts. The first minor U.F.O. sighting was near a small out of the way town in Southeren Arizona. Others have sighted them near industrial towns and a sighting was discovered at the foot of a large mountain in the Himalayas.

Not really sure how you guys will react to this, but when you read it could you please post your thoughts on the matter? Help Greatly
Appreciated,D.C.

I have never realized this before, probably because I played FFVIII only once since I've bought it in December along with my PS2 (been kinda busy with FFVII and FFX respectively). What do you guys think? Was FFVIII based off of WW I and WW II? Or are these just way too far fetched?

benking27
03-19-2006, 04:59 AM
Those are some good points. Maybe it was based off of that. Hmm. That puts FFXII in a whole new light. Good job.

Acid Raine
03-19-2006, 05:20 AM
Why does it put XII in a new light?

nik0tine
03-19-2006, 05:24 AM
I've always thought there was some connection between FFVIII and the second world war. The last time I thought about that, though, I was probably 11 years old. Good to see that someone else thought the same thing.

The Devourer Of Worlds
03-19-2006, 05:30 AM
I doubt Square consciously intended for FFVIII to resemble WWI/WWII. Any similarities can probably be pinned down to the fact that most wars are fought over the same stupid crap.

PresZidane
03-19-2006, 05:38 AM
Good List never thought of it before

Zeromus_X
03-19-2006, 06:00 AM
So I guess FFII, IV, VI, VII, IX, and X are all related to WWII as well? :) :cat:

PresZidane
03-19-2006, 06:44 AM
So I guess FFII, IV, VI, VII, IX, and X are all related to WWII as well? :) :cat:
Someone could find some way they are I bet

Zeromus_X
03-19-2006, 06:50 AM
Well, comparing FFs to a major world war is kinda silly, most of them are about a war/ evil empire trying to take over the world/ both anyway. And the rest of those reasons are just desperate comparisons. :cat:

darkchrono
03-19-2006, 10:02 PM
Yeah even though you think it might resemble it it would probably also resemble many other wars that have been fought throughout history as well.

Most wars in general are fought for two basic reasons. Land and power.

Trumpet Thief
03-19-2006, 10:04 PM
chaos: There sure are some good points there, but I think tons of things could fit the description of "are similar to WWI/WWII".

Rubedo: Besides, I doubt Square really wanted anybody going so in depth into the story of FFVIII. But hey, that's just me. :D

Zeromus_X
03-19-2006, 10:48 PM
Rubedo: Besides, I doubt Square really wanted anybody going so in depth into the story of FFVIII. But hey, that's just me. :D

Square's never met Future Esthar. :cat:

Trumpet Thief
03-19-2006, 10:50 PM
chaos: Haha. I think I've read a few of those threads about theories. They are very believable though, but then I calm myself down and remember it's just a game. :)

IpwnUthisMuch|------|
03-20-2006, 07:03 AM
America cant really be compared to esthar that way because at the time of WWII it was not the most technologically advanced country... only after the war was it... America and Russia stole some space travel plans n stuff from germany.

People live in Hiroshima and nagasaki... i saw a video on it and people are still born with mutations that are attributed to radiation or something... furthermore the a bombs actually saved more lives than they put to end because had they not been dropped the casualties generated by a prolonged war would have far exceeded those created by the dropping of the bombs... (interesting side fact the inventor of A-bombs created them as a means of generating energy and went crazy after they were used as tools of war, he died of insanity)

CStrife
03-20-2006, 03:42 PM
I´m always learning....................:D :D :D :D

Ishikawa Minoru
03-22-2006, 05:49 PM
America cant really be compared to esthar that way because at the time of WWII it was not the most technologically advanced country... only after the war was it... America and Russia stole some space travel plans n stuff from germany.

People live in Hiroshima and nagasaki... i saw a video on it and people are still born with mutations that are attributed to radiation or something... furthermore the a bombs actually saved more lives than they put to end because had they not been dropped the casualties generated by a prolonged war would have far exceeded those created by the dropping of the bombs... (interesting side fact the inventor of A-bombs created them as a means of generating energy and went crazy after they were used as tools of war, he died of insanity)

America certainly wasn't the most technologically advanced country at the time.USAF's jet planes were a joke while Hitler sought to turn the tide with his powerful Me262 and Me163 jet planes.The Japanese also developed some neat models,like the Ohka suicide plane and the Kikka,which unfortunately never got to enter the conlifct as it was tested three days before the atomic bombing of Hiroshima on August 3,1945.
As for people not living in Hiroshima and Nagasaki,whoever wrote that didn't really know is a bloody asshole.Hiroshima was rebuilt after the war and became a very prosperous city.Today,march 22 marks the first anniversary of the death of the man who was put in charge of rebuilding the city and who build the Peace Memorial,near one of the only remaining buildings referred to as gembaku domu,or the A-Bomb Dome;his name was Kenzo Tange was he was also responsable for the Yoyogi Gymnasium in Tokyo or Fuji TV HQ in Odaiba.

Tavrobel
03-22-2006, 06:16 PM
Esthar- The most technically advanced country in the FFVIII world cuts itself off from the rest of the world after the end of the first sorceress war.
America- The most technically advanced country of our modern world cut itself off from the rest of the world after WWI

Ultimecia- Wants to compress past, present and future to create a world that she alone controls
- Uses pawns such as Edea to help her to find Ellone which is the only way she can compress time

Hitler- Wants to take over and combine most of Europe and Russia to create a Greater Germany that he alone controls
- Uses pawns such as Mussolini and the Japanese guy who's name I can't remember to help him take over other areas to create Greater Germany

Esthar- Although strictly speaking the first sorceress war was Esthar's fault for having went along with Adel's evil plans for domination (possibly not voluntarily), at the end of the war, a small group of people went against Adel and ultimately got rid of her by blasting her into space. Then Esthar was again at peace with the world and quietly dislodged itself from the happenings of the rest of the world.

Germany*- The first world war was strictly Germany's fault for going along with the Kaiser's evil plans for domination of an overseas empire**. At the end of the war, the Kaiser abdicated and no-one ever heard what happened to him*** Then a small group of German's signed a peace treaty with the rest of the world and it quietly dislodged itself from the rest of the world so as to not draw attention to itself and to start repaying the harsh reparations.

* I am aware that I have already compared Esthar to America, but it kinda fits with the post WWI Germany as well

** Not so sure if he wnted the world as well, could someone clarify?

*** Again not so sure, clarification anyone?

O.K. I'll admit this next one could be seen as a complete shot in the dark, but:

Norg and Cid- Cid had to borrow money from Norg to help to start up Garden. He didn't actually want to borrow the money from Norg because Norg wanted Garden to be making an absolute fortune for him

Germany & America- Germany had to borrow money from America to pay back reparations to the rest of the world. They hated having to do it for they knew that they would lose even more money due to interest on the loans.

Possibly the longest shot that I've ever taken:

The Lunar Cry- It wiped out the Centran civilisation X,000 years ago. It completely destroyed everything there and the country has been nearly completely barren ever since.

The Atomic Bombs- Wiped out Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Completely destroyed everything in the area. Don't know if people live there now. Wouldn't think so though

And the last point that I can think of at this moment in time is in no way linked to either war or the time between them:

Pupu- A rare sight found near Timber, Trabia, Kashkabald Desert and Winhill.

U.F.O.'s- U.F.O.'s are commonly sighted in secluded areas where no-one can check this to be true, such as areas like deserts. The first minor U.F.O. sighting was near a small out of the way town in Southeren Arizona. Others have sighted them near industrial towns and a sighting was discovered at the foot of a large mountain in the Himalayas.

America did have a policy of Isolationism before and after WWI, but for different reasons. America was in no way the most technologicaly advanced during WWI, until AFTER WWII. The States did nearly nothing in WWI, until the Zimmermann Telegram, because we had to deal with Mexico. Mexico still refused to help Germany.

Ultimecea wants to disrupt the Time Continnum for selfish reasons/power. Hitler wanted to RESTORE the glory of Germany to its pre-WWI days. He in no way originally desired to control the Japanese, nor did he take any action to do so. He simply had them on his side, because their goals were similar, and he even thought lowly of them, stating in his book Mein Kampf (My Life/Story), that the only allies of Germany are Italy (Fascism) and England (same origin and descent).

Germany was forced to borrow money from nearly ALL countries, because of the massive damage done by WWI. Only two representatives were absent from the ngotiations, Germany, and Russia, which was having its own problems at the time. When Germany received the "agreement", little could be done by the States, as the 14 Points were completely ignored by French and English government, despite the President's promise for fairness in exchange for an end to the war. Once the Depression broke out, all the countries forgave each other's debts, because it would only worsen the global predicament that was being suffered in Europe and the States.
The German Kaiser wanted revenge for a previous war (a small one before WWI), which forced Germany to give up parts of its land to the French, and large debt incurring.

The Lunar Cry was Genocide. The Atomic Bomb was a man-made way to save American lives, because the President did not want to send troops directly to Japan, putting the States in a two front-land war. Note the word LAND. It was not FDR, but his successor who decided to use the A-Bomb. Nagasaki and Hiroshima were rebuilt after the war. If it is not Genocide, then the civilization will survive. No A-Bombs (only normal ones) were dropped over Tokyo, and the Islands of Japan were not sunken into the ground. The civilization was not completely erased from history.

The closest anyone can come to comparing any of the FFs to a major World War, is the concept of power and revenge by one nation and its allies. In the FFs, the agressor nation is usually also attacked by an outside influence, causing a slight decline. The only other comparison that is reasonable enough to be made is that new technology was made to surpass the other combatants. But this is true of all wars. Even the Hyskos had advantage of Cavalry and Chariots over the Egyptians. It is not a new concept that the advancement of technology (warlike, or non) is acheived mostly through war.