PDA

View Full Version : Is it WORTH it?

Schala Kidd Zeal
03-19-2006, 07:25 AM
Okay, you may all dislike me for this, but I have to ask.

I played Chrono Cross and NEVER played Chrono Trigger, and I've been hearing how Chrono Trigger is better, and yada, yada, yada.

I would LIKE to play Trigger, but thing is, I watched so much Dragon Ball Z, I just can't stand it anymore.

The art looks completely the same. (I know, I know, same artist blah.)

And, I was just wondering if toleratin the art, and just playin the game was all worth it. I know they say don't judge a book by its cover, which is why I want to ask people who actually played the game.

Is it really all good, as everyone is saying? Should I just ignore the art, and get it? Decisions, Decisions, Decisions. :rolleyes2

Stayin Dizzy
03-19-2006, 07:36 AM
I'm not the biggest CT fan, but in the world you cold count me in the top 50. CC rules all yes but CT makes CC worth playing period. Game, storyline battle system. its all good. Play it just to appreciate CC if anything

Schala Kidd Zeal
03-19-2006, 07:38 AM
Alright, thats true, thanks for the help!

cloud_doll
03-19-2006, 02:48 PM
PLAY CHRONO TRIGGER. that's my advice. See, the game is like FF7, the graphics aren't all as great as the other final fantasies(new generation) but the story is the best. CT was the first (i think) RPG i ever played and it got me into all the others I've played. it's fun, trust me.

NeoCracker
03-19-2006, 05:48 PM
Its one of the best RPG's ever made. Great characters and story for all of them, also some of teh best Video game songs I have ever heard in my life.

XxSephirothxX
03-19-2006, 06:19 PM
Definitely worth it, yes. Besides, it's a sprite-based game; you won't be looking at the artwork all that much.

Vyk
03-19-2006, 08:13 PM
You may find the game falling a bit short of the hype. I certainly did. The in-game look isn't very DBZ'esque though. And its got some great music. The storyline is unique and weird. But I wouldn't call it stellar. And you have your typical old-school non-talking hero with no personality. Very repetitive battle-wise too. And even though you can see enemies on screen, doesn't really mean you don't have to fight. A) you need the levels. B) they'll chase you down or block your way or do something to annoy you regardless. And the overworld map is putrid xD

I don't think it's nearly as great a game as people give it credit for. Not saying its horrible, or even bad, really. Just playing devil's advocate. It certainly has its share of flaws. To me anyway. But if you don't want to play it just because of Akira Toriyama, then you're probably being too shallow and missing it. I'm just saying judge it for itself, you might like it, or you might find reasonable quirps to rag on it for. But don't rag on it for its art

Schala Kidd Zeal
03-20-2006, 12:38 AM
Okay, first off, you got it ALL wrong. xD

I was NOT "ragging" it (as you put it) because of its art. It's something that simply everyone has, dislikes and likes in art.

To be called shallow for that reason in itself, is really offensive. :/ REALLY!

I just wanted that to be cleared, so ya don't get it wrong, I am NOT "shallow" and I don't judge games mainly on the art.

Trust me, I've played many RPG's before, some that I found that I disliked and some that I liked. And some of those RPG's I played had art that I did not like, but I still played it.

As you said, don't judge the game entirly on the art, yeah I understand that, but I SIMPLY wanted to know if the game was good. I don't want to go through a game with characteristics that I dislike, and the story line is not even good, Ya know?

So yeaaah. ;D Now that my side is explained, I hope that you understand what I mean a little more.

And thank you all for your responds, and opinions on the game. ^^

DMKA
03-21-2006, 08:18 PM
I've never finished Chrono Trigger. I tried to play it again this morning and quit after about 20 minutes. I find it really hard to get into.

Dreddz
03-21-2006, 10:55 PM
I say you should tolerate the artwork to play the game. Its good enough for these circumstances to pass. Its an overrated game IMO though. CC is better.

cloud_doll
03-21-2006, 11:13 PM
sorry if i misunderstood you. I'll try again

first of all, what kind of games do you like? chrono trigger is simple, like someone said up their the main character doesnt talk and yu dont really know much about him, but you still fall in love with him. I think the best part of the game was its story, its mostly about time travel. which is cool.(I've never played Chrono Cross but I'm assuming its bout time travel as well) The music is great, you'll be humming along with it as you play, and it gets right to the point. you play it and right away you get into the story. but there are many myteries to slove, so it keeps you going.

Its a really great game. Hope I helped more than I did before

Schala Kidd Zeal
03-21-2006, 11:54 PM
To Cloud_Doll- No no no, that wasnt directed to you, I'm sorry!!

theundeadhero
03-22-2006, 12:25 AM
I highly prefer Chrono Trigger over Cross and would chose to play it over many other games.

ehsteve
03-22-2006, 12:28 AM
I played CT on SNES, so I didn't have to put up with any anime. That being said, both CT and CC are on my "Top five games of all time" list.

Ramza Beoulve
03-22-2006, 06:55 AM
Just play it, if you like CC, you'll understand a lot of things, and just love the game n.n