PDA

View Full Version : Things you hate about FF

zbonks
03-19-2006, 07:12 PM
This is your chance to say what you hate about any FF or all FF. I hate having playable characters that you aren't going to have throughout the whole game and you level them up not knowing like Aeris, Seifer, and the white mage guy in II (i forgot his name)

Evastio
03-19-2006, 07:22 PM
I hate having playable characters that you aren't going to have throughout the whole game and you level them up not knowing like Aeris, Seifer, Mindu

Yeah, me too.

I also don't like how in the remakes of FF1 your characters still don't say anything or have any personalities. Or how you have to name characters yourself in some of the FF's. I've always had trouble with that. And I don't like how you can rename characters in most FFs even though I never rename characters.

Dreddz
03-19-2006, 08:26 PM
The Long Wait Between Each One.

McLovin'
03-19-2006, 08:37 PM
It isn't really a "Final" Fantasy if they have 12 of em.

TheSpoonyBard
03-19-2006, 09:02 PM
But it was Square's final fantasy; their final shot at making money and saving the company.

My least favourite element of the FF games is they give too few clues about secrets. Who, on their first playthrough, knew that reading the Occult Fans would reveal clues about a new GF?

Slothy
03-19-2006, 09:15 PM
My least favourite element of the FF games is they give too few clues about secrets. Who, on their first playthrough, knew that reading the Occult Fans would reveal clues about a new GF?

I've found this to be more of a problem in the more recent FF's. In most of the early ones it wasn't too hard to find sidequests and secrets through normal exploration. Now they seem to try and hide them so well you have to look at Faqs or ask someone half the time to know what to do.

Or how you have to name characters yourself in some of the FF's. I've always had trouble with that. And I don't like how you can rename characters in most FFs even though I never rename characters.

I actually find myself the other way around. I liked being able to rename characters and hated when they started to get away from it for no reason in FFVIII (unless I'm remembering incorrectly and you could rename everyone in that game. It's been awhile since my last playthrough). It makes sense with the newer games since there's voice acting, but when it's just text, give us the option I say.

What I really hate about FF though (at least lately) is random battles. I've played too many FF's too many times to like it that much anymore. It's an archaic system that has no place in a modern RPG if you ask me, which is why I'm glad they're finally ditching this god aweful system in XII.

Trumpet Thief
03-19-2006, 09:22 PM
chaos: I absolutely detest random battles.

Rengori
03-19-2006, 09:47 PM
FFX-2. 'nuff said.

McLovin'
03-19-2006, 09:52 PM
But it was Square's final fantasy; their final shot at making money and saving the company.

I sold them for a helluva lot of money.

FFX-2. 'nuff said.

I loled.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
03-19-2006, 11:34 PM
i don't hate anything but I don't like long and boring dialogue especially when there explaining some sort of mission. But the rest of the game usually compensates for this

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-20-2006, 01:44 AM
Random encounters, for the most part. I'm glad FFXII is doing away with them.

nik0tine
03-20-2006, 01:47 AM
Yuna, Rikku, and Paine.

XxSephirothxX
03-20-2006, 02:57 AM
Too many battles; some are fun, but they should be pretty spaced out. Predictable story segments, or unexplained and weak story segments.

Almighty God of Paper
03-20-2006, 05:02 AM
Hmm... I don't like how the company is making 1,546.2 sequels/prequels to Final Fantasy VII. Frankly, the game was fine on its own. It was a nice game with a nice story, okay characters, and an okay battle system, but come on now... do we really need all these spin-offs? The same goes for FFX. I wasn't particularly fond of that game, but it had an interesting ending, and I think it would have been fine if they left it.

Random encounters can be a pain in the neck sometimes, but I am rather sad that they're doing away with them. It takes away from the traditional feel of Final Fantasy.

FallenAngel411
03-20-2006, 05:11 AM
The fact that Tidus is only known within the game as "Him", "He" and "That Guy". It feels unnatural.

And X-2. And random battles. And--everything everyone else said.

Zeromus_X
03-20-2006, 05:13 AM
The fact that Tidus is only known within the game as "Him", "He" and "That Guy". It feels unnatural.

Well, that's because the voices can't adapt to whatever you name him :cat:

DeathKnight
03-20-2006, 05:14 AM
FFVII fanboys and fangirls, and characters who are just meaningless: Yuffie, Vincent, Aeries(well to me), etc.

FallenAngel411
03-20-2006, 06:20 AM
Well, that's because the voices can't adapt to whatever you name him

I know....it still felt strange. After a while, I just started laughing everytime somebody went, "Hi, I'm Wakka, and this guy is my friend." And the only introduction Yuna ever got to the man of her life was "Oh, and he's here too." I get the technological limits, but I still find it awkward storywise. Add neverending final boss battles to my list of things I don't love about FF. Those evil people take hours to kill. :eep:

Crossblades
03-20-2006, 02:30 PM
Weak story segments and random battles

Rengori
03-20-2006, 04:12 PM
FFVII fanboys and fangirls, and characters who are just meaningless: Yuffie, Vincent, Aeries(well to me), etc.
Aeris kinda was the only thing keeping Meteor and Gaia from colliding.

Morgoth_Bauglir
03-20-2006, 08:17 PM
i don't hate,just find quite troublesome,the loading times of ffvi.
Also ,the difficulty of it.But,it is one of the reasons it is my best ff (not the loading times:D )
Also,the Tidus thing with the voice.I know it is a tech problem,but it is a bit annoying (but doesn't blacken the whole image of the masterpiece ffx)
Moreover,the never-ending FFCC.I have filled the chalice like,28 times?And it still won't end.xD i know i should do something but i have long since i last played it..

~SapphireStar~
03-20-2006, 08:18 PM
The Long Wait Between Each One.

FFVII fanboys and fangirls
Amen brothers.
Also when you get a hell load of random battles?! Bugger off dammit!?!?!?!

Fynn
03-20-2006, 08:50 PM
The fanboys and -girls who think that they know which parts are *good* and keep writing threads like "OMG!!! THIS GAME SUX!!!".

Shin Gouken
03-20-2006, 09:02 PM
I rather like random battles o_0

Dreddz
03-20-2006, 09:32 PM
Me too :confused:

Chris
03-20-2006, 10:52 PM
I didn't enjoy all of the random battles, but I didn't loathe it enough to hate any of the games. :)

Shiny
03-20-2006, 11:09 PM
Unwanted randomized battles. I would rather choose when I want to get into minor battles, or have the battles be speard out more so they aren't every 5 seconds I move the character.

Rengori
03-20-2006, 11:11 PM
Unwanted randomized battles. I would rather choose when I want to get into minor battles, or have the battles be speard out more so they aren't every 5 seconds I move the character.
If you don't like that you'll loathe FFIV.

zbonks
03-21-2006, 01:12 AM
I don't really hate this about Final fantasy, but why did squaresoft change their name to square enix?....off subject i know :)

Rengori
03-21-2006, 01:15 AM
They merged with Enix. Have you been living in a cave or something?

The Devourer Of Worlds
03-21-2006, 01:39 AM
For the record, FFX-2 fans can be pretty terrible as well. FFVI fans are a different kind of terrible.

The worst thing about FF games, and turn based RPGs in general, is the lack of difficulty. Even the hardest FF game, FFIIIj, becomes a walk in the park if you actually bother to level up.

Rengori
03-21-2006, 01:43 AM
So... don't bother to level up.

The Devourer Of Worlds
03-21-2006, 02:12 AM
You're missing the point. You don't need any skill to complete RPGs; you only need to be willing to spend a whole heap of time on them. I shouldn't have to make the game harder for myself by trying less.

Evastio
03-21-2006, 03:14 AM
Oh yeah, I also don't like how in FFV you don't get any Exp from the enemies in the Cleft of Dimension.

The Devourer Of Worlds
03-21-2006, 03:23 AM
That one makes sense though, since in FFV is much more important to level up jobs than it is to actually level up.

DMKA
03-21-2006, 04:28 AM
The fans that bitch about everything in the rest of the FFs that isn't analogue to another FF title they happen to favor.

zbonks
03-21-2006, 04:29 AM
you do need some skill in RPgs though, like to decide what to do during a battle and kind of a sense of stategy

Vyk
03-21-2006, 04:42 AM
They're going too pastel. I want darker, moodier, more mature atmosphere.

DeathKnight
03-21-2006, 07:24 AM
For the record, FFX-2 fans can be pretty terrible as well. FFVI fans are a different kind of terrible.

The worst thing about FF games, and turn based RPGs in general, is the lack of difficulty. Even the hardest FF game, FFIIIj, becomes a walk in the park if you actually bother to level up.

That's what I've ALWAYS said, FFs are NOT meant to be battle based games, their strong points lie within the story. To me all of them were easy.

Now if we talk 'bout the Shin-Megami Tensei series that's a dirfferent story:evilking:

black orb
03-21-2006, 07:31 AM
>>> Random battles, they were alright in the 8 and 16-bit era but right now random battles are stupid.

Evastio
03-21-2006, 06:48 PM
That one makes sense though, since in FFV is much more important to level up jobs than it is to actually level up.
I guess you're right. Still, it didn't help at all when I was levelling up in the Cleft of Dimension to beat Omega and Shinryuu though. :mad:

Ramza Beoulve
03-22-2006, 07:23 AM
Well, I hate fans that tries to get the others the idea that one FF is better than other, being so different, with different characters, music, stories, philosophies, minigames (except for FFX-2, but is not my point).

Just live with it, every FF is marvelous (except for that crappy random battles, that get you really mad when you're new to the series ¬¬ )

DJZen
03-23-2006, 03:08 AM
I hate the fans, I hate the gratuitous 10 hour summons, and the flagrant lack of swordchucks.

dragoonknight_kain
03-24-2006, 03:43 AM
I guess you're right. Still, it didn't help at all when I was levelling up in the Cleft of Dimension to beat Omega and Shinryuu though. :mad:
Yes, people say FF5 is all about getting the right job against the right boss, but Omega and Shinryu are the only ones strong enough that would require a bit of strategy, and guess what, you need a high level party to beat them.:mad2:

The Devourer Of Worlds
03-24-2006, 04:04 AM
Not really. As long as your party's level is in the mid-to-high 40s you should be fine. As I said, it's all about the jobs.

Ramza Beoulve
03-24-2006, 04:50 AM
lack of swordchucks.

Thats it! :D

YTDN
03-25-2006, 04:20 PM
Random encounters can be a pain in the neck sometimes, but I am rather sad that they're doing away with them. It takes away from the traditional feel of Final Fantasy.

I believe that. And if we didn't have seperate battles, there wouldn't be a need for the victory fanfare of victory dances!:( :(

and the flagrant lack of swordchucks

Yes! I demand more swordchucks!

Evastio
03-25-2006, 04:45 PM
Yes, people say FF5 is all about getting the right job against the right boss, but Omega and Shinryu are the only ones strong enough that would require a bit of strategy, and guess what, you need a high level party to beat them.:mad2:
Hah. I beat both at around level 50. I basically used Kiss of Blessing, casted Carbunkle, then double casted Bolt 3 on my characters and Golem for Omega. Shinryuu I did the same except I switched Bolt 3 with Flare.

Another thing I don't like about FF is how they use the same weapons over and over again. (swords, spears, etc) I'd really want to see a FF Game with the main character having a chainsaw, scythe, mallet, jackhammer, drill, or something crazy like that. :D

Angel Heart
03-25-2006, 08:49 PM
FF7 enemy's alway's getting first attack. I mean they alway's get first attack no-matter who's against them. It's so annoying:mad:

dragoonknight_kain
03-26-2006, 05:55 PM
Not really. As long as your party's level is in the mid-to-high 40s you should be fine. As I said, it's all about the jobs.
I was in level 40, actually. Omega still killed me in two attacks or something close to that. As for Shinryu I didn't have the accessory to absorb water attacks, so he finished me off in 2 seconds...:mad:

feioncastor
03-26-2006, 11:58 PM
i don't hate,just find quite troublesome,the loading times of ffvi.
Also ,the difficulty of it.But,it is one of the reasons it is my best ff (not the loading times:D )

I'd first like to state that you're right, FFVI is the best of the numbered series (I personally FFT more than 6, but meh).

However, you should note that FF6 didn't always have those horrendous loading times. You see, way back in the 90's, FF6 was actually a Super Nintendo game called "Final Fantasy III". On the SNES, the game had very quick load times. I'm guessing the load times were similar if you played the game on the Super Famicom, perhaps even identical.

I do own Final Fantasy Anthology (the one that 5 and 6), but I don't play it much. I beat 6 once just to get the bonus features unlocked, but I haven't even bothered beating 5. I got very far in it, I think, but I haven't played in about 2 or 3 years.

So what you should do is get a copy of Final Fantasy III for the Super Nintendo (if you own a Super Nintendo, that is).

Oh, and if you don't own a Super Nintendo, get one of those. It is seriously a way cooler system than the PS2, the Xbox (360 or otherwise) and the GameCube.

Now, on topic:

Hmmmmmm.... Things I hate about FF games... Well, I hate that they continue making them when they don't have a good game to work with. Seriously, the gameplay of 1-7 was catchy and fun, but after that, I think they stopped trying to make cool gameplay, and focused solely on pretty graphics.

Graphics don't make the game. Britney's Dance Beat has excellent graphics, but it is a terrible game. Graphics are suppposed to support the gameplay, you know? Tetris is a fine example. It's fun and catchy, and the graphics haven't changed much over the last 20 years. But it's still fun and catchy. It's because of the gameplay. The graphics are simply there to support the gameplay.

Recently, it seems that manufacturers have focused more on graphics than on gameplay because good graphics tend to sell games these days. I couldn't tell you why, though.

FFX would've made a fine movie. I would've seen it in a movie theater a few times before it was out, and then, I'd buy it on DVD. However, it did NOT make a good game because the game play was obscure. Originality is cool, but come on, the freaking Sphere Grid? Seriously, who the hell smoked a huge bag of weed and then was like, "Hey, guys, how about instead of giving exp to gain stats... What if we gave them balls? What if we gave them balls they had to put in this big ugly thing that we'll call a grid even though the word grid doesn't effectively describe the pattern we'll form? What if we did that? Yeah, but then we'll totally hire a few guys to make Lulu have big boobs, and then everyone will like it."

They were right, by the way.

Lulu does, in fact, have big boobs. And I like them.

lovehurts
03-27-2006, 01:55 AM
this pisses me off a bit...
http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=81682

Ive never had a problem with the games personaly but looking at them over all I dsiagree with some of the ideas square comes up with to make these games....

Like 7 was a futuristic final fantasy and 9 went back to the traditional final fantasy and then in turn 10 threw it all off track again.....and now we are making sequels of older stories how original...what is next are they going to make sequels of 1-6's storylines!? I want ff-13 and ff-14 not clouds return and galuf rides again.....

feioncastor
03-27-2006, 04:02 PM

Ive never had a problem with the games personaly but looking at them over all I dsiagree with some of the ideas square comes up with to make these games....

Like 7 was a futuristic final fantasy and 9 went back to the traditional final fantasy and then in turn 10 threw it all off track again.....and now we are making sequels of older stories how original...what is next are they going to make sequels of 1-6's storylines!? I want ff-13 and ff-14 not clouds return and galuf rides again.....
The people who run Square-Enix aren't too concerned with making good video games... They're more worried about making video games that sell.

I think that FFX-2 was a fair seller. It probably turned quite a profit for them.

And I think FFXII will be out soon. Chances are they're working on 13 shortly thereafter.

DeathKnight
03-27-2006, 04:29 PM

The people who run Square-Enix aren't too concerned with making good video games... They're more worried about making video games that sell.

I think that FFX-2 was a fair seller. It probably turned quite a profit for them.

And I think FFXII will be out soon. Chances are they're working on 13 shortly thereafter.

Sadly, the selling out stuff started with FFVII:ty:

And yes, they're working on FFXIII. And who's making the game? THe Final Fantasy X team (harr harr :tonberry:)

Wuggly Blight
03-27-2006, 06:11 PM
Things I hate:
* Obvious attempts at turning it a action game
* The awful noob magnet FF-X series. (If XII turns out anything like it Im never buying anew Final Fantasy, The noob action fan horde can have it.)
* No PC's over 20 year old, if they are there old, or gray or disfigured.
* Typical weak lovey dovy Princessesque female lead
* Rikku, I hate her so much she deserves her own point.
* The towns are generally 3 houses and a Inn. Cities have never been epic, FF9 made a attempt though and ff11 expanded on it (Only due to it being MMORPG) (If your thinking of Midgar you never actually get free roame around it so it doesnt count)

feioncastor
03-27-2006, 08:04 PM
* The towns are generally 3 houses and a Inn. Cities have never been epic, FF9 made a attempt though and ff11 expanded on it (Only due to it being MMORPG) (If your thinking of Midgar you never actually get free roame around it so it doesnt count)
*cough* Midgar*cough

Wuggly Blight
03-27-2006, 08:28 PM
Midgar isnt epic, you get refrences and get to go up one road of it. If they put in more of of the city, even 10% then I would consider it more epic. Lindblum was far larger then the areas you got to go in.

Avathar
03-29-2006, 01:10 PM
Things i hate about FF:

FF1: The lack of A decent story and characters:mad2:
FF2: The irritating gameplay.
FF7: The very first time i played FF7 i really hated the graphics.
FF8: First time i played i really hated the junction system. And i hate the slow-going story of FF8.
FF9: The reversed opinion i have for FF1: i adore the story and the characters, but the gameplay hasn't any challenge at all:mad: