PDA

View Full Version : Different Cultural food!

Luther X-Rated
03-20-2006, 01:30 AM
I am interested in your different culture!!!
Please tell me your different food(s) in your country!
Even if your in a different state in the USA different places
have different food!

Here in South Texas we have Pico de Gallo!!!
Which is a special blend of a variety of vegetables and salsa.

My family used to make Tripas!!!
Tripas is cow intestine, which sounds gross but taste good!
That was before the threat of mad cow disease.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
03-20-2006, 01:35 AM
There are way too many..let me think.

In Dominican Republic we eat Cow feet. They eat frog, rabbit, and many more. But I dont eat that. Maybe my dad would be not me! xD :D

nik0tine
03-20-2006, 01:41 AM
I'm pretty American so my culture is McDonalds. (Not that I'd ever eat it, or anything)

I'll wait for Neel to come here and tell you about the Indian food though.

Trumpet Thief
03-20-2006, 02:43 AM
Rubedo: Well I'm Canadian, which is basically the same as American... so yeah. I almost never eat fast food (I find it gross as times), and prefer meat.

chaos: When we went to Bosnea though, we enjoyed a lot of the food there. This blend of rice and chicken, called Biryani, was really good. I was surprised how similar foods in England are to Canada when I went there, though. :eek:

Sing the Sorrow
03-20-2006, 03:26 AM
Man im from south texas too and i cant really get enough of some good 'ol pice de gallo. And tripas!!!....dont get me started on tripas lol:-p

Miriel
03-20-2006, 04:01 AM
I've lived around Los Angeles my entire life, and Los Angeles has... everything. Thai, Indian, Vietnamese, Mediterranean, Brazilian, you name it, LA has it. A local favorite of Californians of course is In-N-Out Burger which has got to be the best fast food burger joint in the country.

Also, Koreatown in Los Angeles has the best Korean food in the world. Better than Korea itself. Korean BBQ in Ktown is unparalled.

Meat Puppet
03-20-2006, 04:04 AM
Lamb and potato.

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-20-2006, 04:12 AM
Canadian too, but I guess the only thing I would have to say is Poutine. So good, yet killer on the arteries. Curds/cheese, gravy and fries. Besides that I have nothing else. I can't think of any Acadian dishes, because I haven't been around too much Acadian foods. When I wnt to High School on Treaty Day (Sometime in October) people of the Mic-Maq nation would come and do presentations and they would bring food too. I never tried any though, but I know they had moose in it. (Moose is good, well not bad to say the least)

nik0tine
03-20-2006, 04:49 AM
I also enjoy Ethiopian food quite a bit. Everyone should try that out sometime.

FallenAngel411
03-20-2006, 04:55 AM
In New Jersey, we like anything that's greasy and cheap. And doesn't require any time to cook.

Shlup
03-20-2006, 05:20 AM
In Southern California the main cusines are Mexican, sushi, health food, and fast food.

fire_of_avalon
03-20-2006, 05:27 AM
I live in the south. We eat grease and sugar. With lemon.

Despotus
03-20-2006, 05:40 AM
I'm from northern Michigan, and I love 'Pasties' (pronounced PASS-tees)! They came over with miners from Cornwall, U.K., and they are usually ground beef, carrots, potatoes, and rutabega (s.p.?) baked in a handy pie. We also have yummy smoked whitefish.:goofy:

nik0tine
03-20-2006, 05:44 AM
In Southern California the main cusines are Mexican, sushi, health food, and fast food.
They could probably do away with both of those if they'd just stop eating fast food.

Miriel
03-20-2006, 06:00 AM
They could probably do away with both of those if they'd just stop eating fast food.
So... people shouldn't eat healthy food just because they're also not eating unhealthy food? :confused:

nik0tine
03-20-2006, 06:32 AM
I find that people tend to eat healthy food because they are fat from all of the unhealthy food that they eat. At least, that's how it is in my experience.

Yuffie514
03-20-2006, 06:38 AM
my family and relatives like to dine out mostly Chinese or Vietnamese style. i don't like Vietnamese food - too much garlic and greens in their "pho" or noodles. yeah, we eat a lot of noodles, but not like anything similar to what you'll find in little plastic bags.

many different types of vermicelli - flat, round, thin, dark, white, etc. weekend specials are often noodle days at home. yesterday was noodles with fish, a cow or pig's organ cut into small strips, and chicken meat. noodles can be customized just like hot-dogs, but i'm very plain. the noodles were just like long macaroni types where the middle is hollow like a straw *slurp*...

Miriel
03-20-2006, 06:42 AM
I find that people tend to eat healthy food because they are fat from all of the unhealthy food that they eat. At least, that's how it is in my experience.
Most of the people who populate the SoCal health food scene are very fit and healthy people. The kind of people who look forward to eating an overpriced vegan meal in West Hollywood and having a green tea or soy milk smoothie everyday.

SammieBabe
03-20-2006, 12:48 PM

With a side of something unrecognizeable and deep fried. :D

In Florida, we eat similiar things to most Americans, although I've never seen Conch or Gator meat anywhere else...

Fonzie
03-20-2006, 01:29 PM
In the south of Texas we have TexMex Foods :love:. Mmmm tacos and steak...

Jess
03-20-2006, 01:39 PM
Here in the UK I don't think we really have any traditional food that no other countries have. I suppose the food we are most recognised for are our Chippy Takeaways. They aren't all that special though, in my opinion.

Oooh, in Newcastle where I used to live we had Stottie Bread and Pease pudding. Stottie bread is a big round squashy bread and it is the yummiest bread ever! :bigsmile: Pease pudding is what most people put into the Stottie bread with ham, but I didn't like it - it's made of chickpeas all squished up into a kind of spread. :barf:

Stottie bread is gorgeous though. :grinpink:

Resha
03-20-2006, 03:07 PM
In Malaysia we get Malay, Chinese, Indian, Korean, Japanese and Italian -- mainly. Lots of nice local specialities which I can't be bothered to name! :)

Oh, and McDonalds. KFC. Y'get the picture.

mooglebunni608
03-20-2006, 05:24 PM
in mass, we got chowda and lobsta :O
lol

Lost Number
03-20-2006, 08:52 PM
Irish stew - Everything from the rest of the week that was not eaten, and a potato added.

Shoeberto
03-20-2006, 08:56 PM
I'm in Ohio.

Who wants hamburgers.

Fonzie
03-21-2006, 01:41 AM
I want one with pickels.

Rye
03-21-2006, 01:45 AM
I live in a magical place called NY. In NYC, we specialize in a magical food named a "hot dog." We add all sorts of MAGICAL toppings like "ketchup" and even "mustard." Wooooo~

DK
03-21-2006, 01:47 AM
Pastie, boyo. Medium steak. Proper job.

Rye
03-21-2006, 01:47 AM
Pastie, boyo. Medium steak. Proper job.

With extra emo tears!

DK
03-21-2006, 01:49 AM
If that what it takes to make pasties taste like they do then so be it.

lordblazer
03-21-2006, 01:52 AM
I love Turkish food and mediterranean foods.

fire_of_avalon
03-21-2006, 03:06 AM

With a side of something unrecognizeable and deep fried. :D

In Florida, we eat similiar things to most Americans, although I've never seen Conch or Gator meat anywhere else...
We also smoke tobacco straight out of the field (at least my grandma did one time xD) and live for hundreds of years.

Also, corn on the cob. :)

PS: Pasties are things strippers wear. :/

Miriel
03-21-2006, 03:21 AM
The South has Paula Dean. Paula's home cooking!

I plan on taking the Paula Dean Tour in Savannah one day.

fire_of_avalon
03-21-2006, 03:29 AM
Savannah is an awesome city and you will enjoy it. This is my prediction. I am also psychic.

-N-
03-21-2006, 03:48 AM
Savannah is a beautiful city and has great beaches and warm ocean water. :D

I'll wait for Neel to come here and tell you about the Indian food though.I was hoping for more anticipation to build up.
Such are the trappings of being a narcisstic jackass. :p

First things first:
Draw distinction between North and South Indian food.
South Indian food is mushy grainy stuff like dhosa and idli, and are thus inferior. You can get sambhar though, which is a spicy lentil soup and would be the best soup in the history of mankind if it didn't come from South India.

Now that's out of the way, we can talk about how awesome North Indian cuisine is. This is the stuff you're most likely to try in a restaurant, because everyone knows you can't make money off of South Indian food, because it's terrible.
Unfortunately, most people try the meat dishes, which although are excellent, really require little more effort than throwing spices together in a tomato based concotion and dropping chunks of meat in it.
The better side of Indian food lies in the infinite ways they make vegetarian food interesting and delicious. Dishes range from the spicy (bengan bhartha - something about eggplant) to the sweet (navratran korma - oh my god it's so good) to the filling (stuffed okra!) to stuff I can make (aloo bhaji - simple and tasty).
In fact, if you want some cheap and easy Indian food to make, I can give you a starter. The only thing that may be difficult is gathering the spices. Ask your local Indian female where to find them. You'll need:

turmeric powder
coarse ground cumin
coarse ground coriander
fine ground red chilli (not that weak sauce crushed red pepper crap)
mustard seeds

and of course salt, black pepper, whatever else you want, etc.

Yeah, you could get more, but you really don't need to. So, put a pot on the stove and put a bit of oil in it. Throw on some mustard seeds and flame the pot around med-high until the seeds start popping. Throw in some chopped onion, some garlic and ginger paste, and lightly brown the onions. If you're feeling adventurous, add chopped tomatoes. Then throw in ANY (yes, that's right, ANY) chopped vegetable and the spices. If it's a dry-type vegetable, add water. Then stir every once in a while and keep covered. Done.

:monster:

DK
03-21-2006, 04:23 AM
PS: Pasties are things strippers wear. :/

Don't you go warping my mind any more than you already have. You've done quite enough damage in #tot, thankyou very much Megan. :mad2: