PDA

View Full Version : I am persuing a dream.

Sylvie
03-20-2006, 02:28 AM
I guess this belongs here...

Anyhow, If you play runescape, you might be pissed that they removed RuneScape Classic from F2P. Well, I miss it so much that I am going to make a single player Runescape Classic. I realize how long this game will take to make, and I realize how complicated it might be, as it will have almost exact graphics to RSC and the features such as fishing, cooking, smithing, etc. I am making this game for myself, and for those people who have been playing RSC but were let down when it was made P2P. So my question is...

I know that RuneScape was made with Java. I was wondering if it is POSSIBLE to create a game like this with BASIC programming language. I hear that BASIC is easier to learn and use than Java, and I want to go the easiest way possible. I do not know much about BASIC so uh dont like flame at me for asking this question. Runescape is a very very personal game to me. A lot of my favorite memories lie with RSC, and if anyone can help me, you would be fulfilling my dream.

Blitz Ace
03-20-2006, 03:19 AM
wow, that is an ambitious dream...

I dont know much about RuneScape, but i do know quite a bit about Java, though i am no expert. I did a search on RuneScape, and found the wikipedia page on it, which told me the following:

Was originally a one-man creation - called DeviousMUD, made in 2D
Became more 3D when released for net as RuneScape. Made by a team of 3, and is now maintained and extended by Jagex Ltd.

creating a game similar to this (3D graphics etc.), with no previous programming experience, will be quite a complicated and time consuming task, however, it is definately not out of reach.

now, i know you just want to get into it and start making the game and all, but i would suggest that perhaps a better place to start would be learning a programming language from the start. The language itself doesnt matter that much, but, in order to achieve your goal, you need to start with the basics - you cant just dive in and expect to be able to program with 3D graphics.

i started programming with BASIC (and variations of it) and then Java, which i enjoy a lot. imo Java is very useful, and is a good language to learn - not that much more difficult than BASIC and with greater capabilities...

i dont actually know if you could create a game like RuneScape in BASIC, but as i said before, all that matters is that you start with the basics of programming, otherwise, you might not get very far...

still, i encourage you in your ambition.

Elite Lord Sigma
03-20-2006, 03:22 AM
I really can't help you here, I just wish you luck, and hope you don't get flamed by RS haters.

Leeza
03-20-2006, 05:20 PM
I think this should be either in Help or General Gaming.

*moves to Help*

I really can't help you here, I just wish you luck, and hope you don't get flamed by RS haters.
There shall be no flaming as flaming is prohibited on this site. :cat:

bipper
03-20-2006, 08:11 PM
Well - to say it quite frankly - JAVA SUCKS and is a tirdshell on the programming world - right with anything MS craps out.

Taht said - if you want to work on a game, learn C. As Blitz said, Runescape started as a style of MUD called a VMUD. Now, to make a mud - you should learn C, and get a small crappy computer (even a 100 megahertz pentium pro would work great). You can look for a precopized mud program called SMAUG at www.SMAUG.org and study that up. Slap that on a linux box (which should be run on your machine) and bam - you have a serverd online TEXT game...

What Is this mud? MUD is MULI user Dundgeon or Dimension. The are all text based and offer a sort of advanced chat room to play in. The game comes stock with a load of features, and offers a very rich gaming experience. First, get to know smaug, and how to administer it. There is a load of info to google on it. This will get you familiar with the processes you will need to handle players. Here you will learn a LOT of the design aspects and how much of a pain in that ass it is to administer an online game.

After you learn the C coding that is used in SMAUG, go ahead and start learning openGL. USing this language you can make killer 3d apps, and make a workable enviroment. Using you knowlage that you have learned between all this, you can apply to making a 3d on line game. It takes a lot of work, but is doable... I think.

This is the path I chose, and have been on for about 6 years. My game is just starting to get to the point where it may be testable in 6 months. IT is hard to say, but its a long and patience testing - but is by no means unacheivable. By the way, my game is looking up to commercial quality, and with this effort, you can find yourself on the same path.

If you do want to make the simple turdbomb Java title, learn Java 3D and use Photoshop or www.gimp.org to create the graphics. ITs not hard in Java, but it is not pretty (or worth it imo). I know from experience, that Java is not a good gaming language. If you ever heard of NHAVEN2d, that was my baby 4 years ago.

Bipper

Sylvie
03-20-2006, 08:50 PM
Thank you all...

And to bipper, I am actually aiming to make it single player first. I MIGHT make it multiplayer later. I have a few more questions...

I have heard of OpenGL, but is that a language i can learn? If so, I may go with that...

Would I have to learn MUD? I know that RuneScape started as DeviousMUD but was that really made with MUD? So my question is, would I have to learn MUD and OpenGL to make the game?

I already have sketches of the game on paper like the user-interface and stuff...

bipper
03-20-2006, 09:01 PM
Thank you all...

And to bipper, I am actually aiming to make it single player first. I MIGHT make it multiplayer later. I have a few more questions...

I have heard of OpenGL, but is that a language i can learn? If so, I may go with that...

Would I have to learn MUD? I know that RuneScape started as DeviousMUD but was that really made with MUD? So my question is, would I have to learn MUD and OpenGL to make the game?

I already have sketches of the game on paper like the user-interface and stuff...

OpenGL is not a language, it is a Library that a C compiler may look to for commands and functions (basically). Learn C++ first. (Smaug is written in C though There is a C++ version, but I do not know it off the top of my head)

Basically, the mud takes care of a lot of NETWORK PROGRAMMING - which is no real treat in c. The experience in it would be worth it alone. Admin, and organisation is key. For a single player game, Java would be easier, but C would be better. IT is your choice, really. I am just really pushing C for functionality.

I may release my development webpage to the public soon, in which you would find a lot of information and answers to a lot of your questions.

Sylvie
03-20-2006, 09:08 PM
Thanks. So should I learn C#, C++, or what?

Death Penalty
03-20-2006, 10:05 PM
I think this should be either in Help or General Gaming.

*moves to Help*

There shall be no flaming as flaming is prohibited on this site. :cat:
Leeza made a typo its supposed to say not prohibited.

bipper
03-20-2006, 10:47 PM
Thanks. So should I learn C#, C++, or what?

Learn C++. C# is CRAP (period) Learning C is not a bad move either (yes, C and C++ are different)

Bipper

Sylvie
03-20-2006, 11:00 PM
So when I learn C++, I can make games with that?

Flying Mullet
03-20-2006, 11:19 PM
Yes, you can.

I'm going to suggest going the other way though, and at least try to make a rudementary game in Java. Why? Java is free, there are 1001 tutorials on how to learn Java and Java game programming on the web, and it's easier to learn.

I agree with bipper that C++ would eventually be the way to go for what you want to do, but it's not feasible for you at this point from reading your posts. Java is easier to learn and it's much more available. You will learn the basics of OOP (Object Orianted Programming - a fundamental design principle championed by Java that originated in C++ and you will NEED to understand this concept if you are to develop a half-way decent game) in a much more controlled environment and once you learn the basics I think that you can then see if you want to move to game over to C++.

Sylvie
03-20-2006, 11:29 PM
Thank you! Now, I think this may be my last question......

Is there a good website for learning Java? I could always go buy one but, I really want to get started now. I will go with Java and then maybe move over to C++.

Flying Mullet
03-21-2006, 02:21 AM
<a href="http://java.sun.com/">Main Java site</a>
<a href="http://java.sun.com/learning/tutorial/index.html">Java tutorials</a>

bipper
03-21-2006, 11:17 AM
While I would agree with you mullet, I must dissagree on the simple fact that java sucks. The opproach to programming is that of taking something 'simple' and making it easy by making it more complex. Ya following me?

I simply compare it to visual basic, and call it more of a scripting language, than a programming language (Which is arguably true). The reasoning resists on the fact that you write a program that needs an externally existing engine to run (Windows OS for VB, Class Interpetur for Java). I see this as being particularily troublesome when used to 'teach' students. When the student gets particularily far, they will go to C and see it wrongfully as 'primative' and not beable to appriciate the control and speed it really gives you. Coorps made the same mistake, and jumped on the Java bandwagon, and many are switching back to C for a huge list of reasons. Even I fell for it, and loved JAVA at one point.

I compare it to linux. If you want to learn Ubuntu, learn Ubuntu. IF you want to learn Red Hat, learn Redhat. If you want to learn linux - learn Slackware. This is not just a clich'e - its true! :)

The point really persists - learning C++ from the ground up may not be as easy to get complex things done as Java - but it really does not properly enforce (in a constructive universal format) propper programming principles and structure. If you want to learn Java, learn Java - if you want to learn to program - learn C(c++) :cool:

It would be a little longer of a road, as I had mentioned, but the results will be astronomically better, and more commercialable.

www.cprogramming.com

Use dev-C++ located @ www.bloodshed.net

Bipper