PDA

View Full Version : File Hosting servers

Shoden
03-20-2006, 10:33 PM
Does anyone have a link to a useful and free file hosting server that supports WMA and MP3? File Lodge is down for me and 1asp wont support these formats either.

Flying Mullet
03-20-2006, 10:46 PM
If you don't need a lot of space (15-20 megs) you can always host the files on a free account/web space with someone like Geocities.

Shoden
03-20-2006, 10:47 PM
Is tha 15-20 Meg a file or maximum?

Flying Mullet
03-20-2006, 10:49 PM
Is tha 15-20 Meg a file or maximum?
Max space. I have a free account with Geocities right now that I use to upload pictures to link to at places like this, but you can upload and link to just about any file type there. The only down side is that I only get 15 megs of space. But hey, it's free. :)

Shoden
03-20-2006, 10:55 PM
Yeah but I usually use these servers for MP3s to embed in my website and forum.

Flying Mullet
03-20-2006, 10:59 PM
Well as long as you only use 3-4 you'll be okay. xD

Samuraid
03-21-2006, 07:26 AM
Nooooooo. Please, for the love of all that is holy, don't embed MP3s in any webpages. :eek:

If you need file hosting, there are likely a number of free sites available. If you want lots of good bandwidth all to yourself, it may be worth paying a little bit each month for a shared hosting account somewhere, or find someone with a lot of extra bandwidth to loan you some space.

bipper
03-21-2006, 11:36 AM
Nooooooo. Please, for the love of all that is holy, don't embed MP3s in any webpages. :eek:

If you need file hosting, there are likely a number of free sites available. If you want lots of good bandwidth all to yourself, it may be worth paying a little bit each month for a shared hosting account somewhere, or find someone with a lot of extra bandwidth to loan you some space.

I Lawled. Anyways, I agree with this. Never embed music into a website, unless it is specifically implied that the site you are linking to (before you load the page) that music or sound is needed.

Also, you can get hosting for 5 dollars a month pretty much anywhwere. Read the agreements though. Many hold you liable (as they should) for any copyright infrigment held up on thier servers.

Bipper

Flying Mullet
03-21-2006, 12:50 PM
I didn't even catch what he was implying when I responsed earlier. xD

Yeah, like Samuraid and bipper have said, embedding mp3's is pure evil.

rubah
03-27-2006, 06:35 PM
It's better than embedding WAVE files at least.