PDA

View Full Version : Happiness is so Short Lived...

Jessweeee♪
03-21-2006, 11:01 PM
It's rather unfortunate that after you've been through the game enough times (usually once is good enough) that you know what to do, how to do it, and where, the game is just so much shorter!!! You realize half of that time you were just trying to figure out what you were doing, and that fun of going through the game for the first time is gone...

*~Angel Wing~*
03-21-2006, 11:24 PM
Yeah I know what you mean...:cry: The 1st time playing it is something special. :kaolove2: What really stinks is you already know what's going to happen so all the suspense and surprise is gone...:mad: :kaocry: But nevertheless, I still replay them a lot!!! :grinpink: :kaohappy2

Vyk
03-22-2006, 12:05 AM
Darn, I thought this was going to be an emo thread about how we're not allowed to enjoy contentment because something always goes wrong. No one understands me :(

Jessweeee♪
03-27-2006, 11:14 PM
I'm going through seven again and i'm already at Midgar on Disc2!

Prancing Mad
03-28-2006, 12:03 AM
True, but like a good book, you've just got pick it up and go through it again. And then you find more foreshadowing and symobolisms and such. There's more meaning to it the second time around, I find. And you recall the realy awesome parts you kinda forgot.

DeathKnight
03-28-2006, 05:19 AM
Yeah...all the greatness of the 1st time goes away, but it depends on who's playing it, some people play games quitely in a candle-lit room with the volume up high, trying to pick up new things they didn't pick up the 1st time they played it but still enjoying the moments. Legendary games never loose their greatness

Metal Gear Solid 1
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
FFX/X-2
FFVIII
Gran Turismo2/4
Super Mario Bros.
Animal Crossing
Street Fighter(Most of them =D)
Woooooooh! I could go on forever

Zeromus_X
03-28-2006, 05:41 AM
Yeah, can't enjoy FFVI as much when you constantly abuse Vanish/Doom, Echo-Screen/Joker Doom, and Moogle Charm. Plowed through that sucker in under 20 hours. (My personal best anyway. :cat: )

The first time, it's magical. But if you've played it so many times, it'll never be as fulfilling as when you completed the game the very first time. :cat:

Edit: Okay, I successfully dodged that innuendo that time, thank goodness. :P

Shotgunnova
03-28-2006, 06:48 AM
That's why I like games with deep plots and tons of replay value...none of the cop-out tricks that are available early on (i.e. Tent-ing enemies in FFIX). If a game can make you think through the entire duration, at least it retains some of its original sparkle. Half the reason I play FF7 once every year (at minimum) is because its so entirely easy once you put some work into an Enemy Skill materia. User-made challenges make games a bit more fun, too, like SCCs.

ljkkjlcm9
03-28-2006, 12:40 PM
While you may know a lot about what to do, I enjoy looking for things that weren't so obvious the first time through. Just like in movies with little references here and there. Probably a sad movie to take an example from, but a very easy one... at the begining of the first Agent Cody Banks, the Head of the CIA gets upset that there is ice in his water, because you never know what could be in ice. The first time watching the movie you just sorta laugh at that. The second time when you see that again, you see the huge foreshadowing, because the "bad" guy in the movie plans on releasing his things through ice cubes.

SO yeah, playing through a second time, is for an entirely different purpose, at least for me.

THE JACKEL

Gh["]sT
03-28-2006, 12:47 PM
i agree totally here when i play a brand new ff for the first time i get a big pumping of adernalin going throw me and i love it but the reason i keep replaying them is because to see if you can kill the boss on lower level and finding all the stuff and really fully completeing it you know:D

~SapphireStar~
03-28-2006, 01:14 PM
Yeah I know what you mean... The 1st time playing it is something special. What really stinks is you already know what's going to happen so all the suspense and surprise is gone... But nevertheless, I still replay them a lot!!!

Jessweeee♪
03-29-2006, 11:00 PM
I got a really bad addiction to threads of fate once. After I beat it once with both characters I kept going through it over and over for six months, and if you've played threads of fate, then you know how many times you can beat it in such a period of time...
(personal best: just under 5hrs)