PDA

View Full Version : Identifying DVD hardware

Hawkeye
03-22-2006, 04:47 AM
How do I know who was my manufacture to my DVD rom drive hardware and to know if my firmware needs to be updated, and if so, where can I get these updates?

Samuraid
03-22-2006, 05:43 AM
How do I know who was my manufacture to my DVD rom drive hardware
In Windows, right-click on the drive in the My Computer window, and select "properties" from the popup menu. In the properties window, the "Hardware" tab should list some relevant drive information. For more details, you might need to find a separate program. Most CD curning software, for example, should have a place that lists detailed drive information.

and to know if my firmware needs to be updated,
Check the manufacturers site for a newer firmware revision.

and if so, where can I get these updates?
The manufacturer's website is probably the best place to look.

Hawkeye
03-22-2006, 05:52 AM
Best I got.

Samuraid
03-22-2006, 06:34 AM
Ok, that didn't seem to be of much help.

Is your computer custom built or did you purchase it from a manufacturer such as Dell, HP, etc...? In either case, there must be some place that lists the specific manufacturer/model of the optical drives in your computer. All you really need is that information. With that, you can check the manufacturer's site for software and firmware updates.

Hawkeye
03-22-2006, 01:12 PM
Originally this computer is from Dell, but I upgraded it and took at practically all the Dell hardware (except the DVD/CD drives, HDDD drive, things like that) so I could pretty much just play games on it. But yeah, the DVD ROM drive has always been the same.

crono_logical
03-22-2006, 01:42 PM
I find CD/DVD writing tools are the best for giving you that sort of detailed info on your drive, such as Nero or DVD Decrypter.

Samuraid
03-22-2006, 09:09 PM
First guess would be that it's a Liteon drive, then.

What is the specific model name and number of the original Dell?

Hawkeye
03-23-2006, 01:21 AM
I don't know. When I upgraded it, I got a different MB and case :(

Can I open the case and check my DVD drive possibly?

Samuraid
03-23-2006, 03:39 AM
Yeah. The top of the drive should have a sticker or something along those lines with the model information on it.