PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever noticed...

Master Quan
03-22-2006, 10:17 PM
..the general outline for a thread here tends towards people posting very short answers without any actually discussion of the previous persons answers? I mean, it's not everyone. But still, you get hoardes of random users (you know the kind, "cloudXXX" or "iloveff213", or whatever) entering the thread, and routinely going: "yes this is my favorit movie i hav watched it million times" or something like that.

Does anyone else get annoyed by that? You know, when you've spent considerable thought and/or time on your reply, only to have it pushed back three pages, and ultimately ignored, by tonnes of mindless posts.

Trumpet Thief
03-22-2006, 10:18 PM
chaos: I agree. Although in some cases, people really do note every single post, and reply back. Doesn't happen a lot though.

Rubedo: *waits for thread to be flooded with replies without any care of the other people who posted*

Flying Mullet
03-22-2006, 10:21 PM
It's always been like that. 95% of the threads here aren't discussions, they're people talking to hear (see) themselves talk.

Evastio
03-22-2006, 10:28 PM
Yeah, I have to agree that it sucks. Unless you get a negative response to your reply. Which is even worse than not getting a reply at all.

Shoeberto
03-22-2006, 10:38 PM
I don't really care about the majority of what's being discussed anyway, so it's no big deal to me.

Psychotic
03-22-2006, 10:39 PM
If I do that, I, and my partner-in-crime, usually get told to "Take it to IM!"

Or our posts are deleted by sucky moderators. Yes, kikimm. I'm talking to you.

:D

Rye
03-22-2006, 10:40 PM
If only the GOOD administratars like CrashNUMBERS were here.

Master Quan
03-22-2006, 11:29 PM
It's always been like that. 95% of the threads here aren't discussions, they're people talking to hear (see) themselves talk.

I suppose it's just one of those things that comes with being on an internet forum.

Vyk
03-22-2006, 11:35 PM
Its because you make a statement to start the thread. People tend to reply to you specifically. Not the whole thread. Once in a while people will say something in reply to spark a debate. But usually they're replying to a specific post. Which for the first page is usually the first post.

Chris
03-22-2006, 11:39 PM
Does anyone else get annoyed by that? You know, when you've spent considerable thought and/or time on your reply, only to have it pushed back three pages, and ultimately ignored, by tonnes of mindless posts.
I used to get annoyed by that, but now, I know better. You can't expect a serious respond from anyone. :(

Doomie
03-22-2006, 11:41 PM
Sometimes I'm just too lazy.

Master Quan
03-22-2006, 11:43 PM
Its because you make a statement to start the thread. People tend to reply to you specifically. Not the whole thread. Once in a while people will say something in reply to spark a debate. But usually they're replying to a specific post. Which for the first page is usually the first post.

But they aren't really replying to you, are they? They're just telling you something. I'd, if I were talking to real people, expect, if I told and asked people about their favourite movies, them to comment on the answer I gave.

theundeadhero
03-22-2006, 11:47 PM
That's exactly why when I make threads these days I try to have them be interactive in some way. Useful threads, not just simple reply and your done.

Vincent Valentine
03-22-2006, 11:49 PM
Well, you need to consider that the current gereration of teenagers are largely known for their almost completely non-existant attention spans, due to the their inability to think for themselves or use their imagination ,thanks to years of exposure to retarded telivision, computer games, drugs, and general parental stupidity.

You're expecting too much if you actually expect even half of them to have something coherent to say. :tongue:

FallenAngel411
03-22-2006, 11:49 PM
I think there are some thoughtful people here. I wouldn't be here if I thought no one had anything intelligent to say. They're around, lurking among all those "cloudxxx"s and such. You just have to sift through all those pages of posts and dig them out. That is, unless you're too lazy.

I also feel that video games, contrary to what most people would say, have enriched my mind rather than hindering my attention span and making me incoherent.

Master Quan
03-22-2006, 11:55 PM
I think there are some thoughtful people here. I wouldn't be here if I thought no one had anything intelligent to say. They're around, lurking among all those "cloudxxx"s and such. You just have to sift through all those pages of posts and dig them out. That is, unless you're too lazy.

I did say I didn't think it was everyone that was like that. This thread is, rather conveniently, evidence of that. It's just really started to get to me. I really wish there was an EoFF back room, that people could apply to to get away from it.

Vyk
03-23-2006, 12:09 AM
I agree to that. I don't mind so much the one-sentence replies. If they're from an intelligent person that knows how to form their sentences. But when a post is littered with exclamation points and smilies and LOL's it sorta loses any of its prospective meaning. There should be a section of EoFF for mature people (and I'm not talking about mature discussion, per se. So EoEO doesn't count).

kikimm
03-23-2006, 12:45 AM
If I do that, I, and my partner-in-crime, usually get told to "Take it to IM!"

Or our posts are deleted by sucky moderators. Yes, kikimm. I'm talking to you.

:D

:aimkiss:

A lot of people's posts in threads don't exactly promote a whole lot of discussion between us. And people are lazy. Some don't even read the first post in a thread!

I don't really remember where I wanted to go with this. I...kay.

boris no no
03-23-2006, 12:49 AM
THIS IS MY VOICE ON TEEEEEVEEEEEE

^^
I havn't been about recently, so I dunno xD I think that mainly younger people new to forums wanna be noticed ;)

Giga Guess
03-23-2006, 12:50 AM
If I see something I want to reply to, I will. If not, I ignore it. It's me, like it, deal with it, or bugger off....:p

Slade
03-23-2006, 07:33 AM
Sometimes theres nothing really else to say. So I don't have any problem with it. Also, if a post is too long quite often I get bored with reading it, unless of course its something I'm really, really interested in. I mean, who wants to read a three paragraph long explanation of what FF girl is the hottest? Not me. (The 'hottest FF girl' thing was just an example btw :) )

For the record, I do both. Sometimes I reply in a huge sentence if I feel strongly, but if its just something that requires a one wrod answer, then thats what I'll give it.

Captain Maxx Power
03-23-2006, 09:33 AM
How is adding your opinion, no matter how concise, not contributing to the discussion? I'll often scan down and if someone has said something that I agree with/wish to use as one of my main points I'll quote/reply it.

xX.Silver.Wings.Xx
03-23-2006, 11:40 AM
And if it's something like... " What are your shoes like?" you post and not really pay any attention to the previous posts at all... i rarely ever bother to read the whole thing....

Giga Guess
03-23-2006, 01:43 PM
How is adding your opinion, no matter how concise, not contributing to the discussion? I'll often scan down and if someone has said something that I agree with/wish to use as one of my main points I'll quote/reply it.

Exactly.

Vincent, Thunder God
03-23-2006, 11:19 PM
Its true. I sort of wish more people would reply to what I say...but I am getting some replies. I also try to put some really long posts in too (like my psychonauts review). But sometimes short answers can be useful-like now.