PDA

View Full Version : What is the meaning of your life?

lovehurts
03-23-2006, 02:50 AM
Ok..go with it.:choc2:

theundeadhero
03-23-2006, 02:52 AM
I want to marry a sweet girl, raise some kids, and live to be happy.

Sappy, huh?

Heero Yuy NWZC
03-23-2006, 02:53 AM
The meaning of my life? You mean the one I set for myself or the one God has set for me?

fire_of_avalon
03-23-2006, 02:53 AM
I want pretty much the same thing as theundeadhero, except I want to be the girl. Not theundeadhero's, but somebody else's.

Tempest
03-23-2006, 02:58 AM
The same as foa.

The Captain
03-23-2006, 03:01 AM
I honestly, don't want to find one single meaning to my life but rather, want to have a new meaning perhaps for every day, a new goal for each one achieved and in the end, just to have lived itself might have been good enough.

Take care all.

Miriel
03-23-2006, 03:07 AM
To be in love.

With everything. My family, my future husband, my future kids, my future jobs, my future Oprah-esque empire. My future yorkshire terriers. :)

SammieBabe
03-23-2006, 03:12 AM
To see my children grow into happy, healthy adults...

And nailing Johnny Depp would be nice....:D

Sir Walkie
03-23-2006, 03:12 AM
Simply to exist. I'd set my sights higher than that, but I'd hate to disappoint myself.

Moon Rabbits
03-23-2006, 03:15 AM
To aim low, aim so low no one will notice if i succeed or fail. if you want the butter its under my face.

yay marge.

Trumpet Thief
03-23-2006, 03:18 AM
chaos: To spread the word of split personalities. :)

Albedo: *laughs maniacally*

Vincent, Thunder God
03-23-2006, 03:23 AM
Having a kind and loving wife, being a teacher (when I get out of university, that is, I'm in high school right now), being a writer of sci-fi/fantasy and possibly non-fiction (analysis of major world issues).

Vincent Valentine
03-23-2006, 03:31 AM
To learn, explore, and nurture me mind. To understand the world around me, and experience everything I possibly can before my time in this world runs out.

And hopefully to share those dreams with another man or woman.

XxSephirothxX
03-23-2006, 03:34 AM
I really don't know. I'd like to write for a magazine, find somebody I can live a long life with, and just enjoy living. But everything feels pretty nebulous right now.

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-23-2006, 03:41 AM
To live my life with what I have. Take each day as it comes and follow my heart. I may get hurt on the way, but I will also find happinest that way too.

Evastio
03-23-2006, 04:01 AM
To make sure that my life mattered to someone else.

lovehurts
03-23-2006, 05:12 AM
Wow pretty good ideas. I am still thinking about mine...oh well. I'll figure it out.

nik0tine
03-23-2006, 05:17 AM
PiP

KH-Cloudy
03-23-2006, 05:30 AM
to travel

Yamaneko
03-23-2006, 05:33 AM
To knock out Muhammad Ali.

Yuffie514
03-23-2006, 05:42 AM
to live it and also be able to do the things i like, such as enjoying time with my video-games.

Vincent Valentine
03-23-2006, 05:44 AM
To knock out Muhammad Ali.
You may be a few years late on that one...

Shotgunnova
03-23-2006, 06:26 AM
At the moment, it's to make other people happy and create game guides.

Vyk
03-23-2006, 06:45 AM
I'd just like to be cared about. By one person. Whom I'm scared I may never meet

FallenAngel411
03-23-2006, 06:46 AM
And nailing Johnny Depp would be nice....:D

Amen.

Well, that and finding a bit of happiness before I die. :3

mega_tonberry
03-23-2006, 06:54 AM
To marry a hypello.:p

Drift
03-23-2006, 07:05 AM
living for my friends and being happy would be nice...if i werent so EMO!

Loony BoB
03-23-2006, 08:09 AM
To live.

That doesn't mean to go and do something new every day, that doesn't mean to take up extreme sports or anything like that. It means to live, in the raw sense of the word. To survive. To feel emotions, to know that I am succeeding in reaching my personal goals. To achieve. To gain respect, to gain recognition, to gain love. To love. To earn and gain that special love, to find that person who would want to be by my side 'til the day one of us is no longer needing a meaning to their life as we know it. To never put myself too high above anyone or too far below them, either. To see things in people that nobody else sees, to spend time with people and without people, to get up early on days I don't need to and to skip work so I can do something nice for someone else. To make people smile, to smile myself. To have reasons to laugh. To have reasons to cry. To eat a lot of food that I don't like once, and to eat a lot of food that I do like a whole lot more than that. To struggle with health and healthcare, to fall over on occasion, to learn to pick myself up, to learn in general. To be the best I can be in the circumstances, without pushing myself too hard - long periods of nothing can sometimes be the best you can be in the circumstances. To savour those moments, to savour the business of business. To collapse on my bed after a long day at work, to struggle to get up in the morning, to kiss someone before they've even woken up and feel good for the rest of the day knowing that I had the ability to do just that.

To live.

Captain Maxx Power
03-23-2006, 09:33 AM
To live it and have a damn good time while I'm at it.

Shaun
03-23-2006, 10:56 AM
I think you all misunderstand this a bit. :p

You're stating your own hopes and ambitions, yet, just like all other life, we have no truly significant meaning. We're just supposed to continue human life, that's all. :) Cool, huh!? No, I thought not. Then again, I'm just stating the obvious.

xX.Silver.Wings.Xx
03-23-2006, 11:36 AM
Meet someone I could live with happily for my whole life.. and not scare them off... and become a nurse and be good at it...

To live it and have a damn good time while I'm at it.
and this on the weekends... :D

smittenkitten
03-23-2006, 11:40 AM
Helping people putting them before me I love to help it use to be having has much fun as possible but I don't know I changed well I still have fun but If my mum was not here I would have no reason to live -_-

Resha
03-23-2006, 02:17 PM
PiP
None other !!!!!1111

Loony BoB
03-23-2006, 02:32 PM

You're stating your own hopes and ambitions, yet, just like all other life, we have no truly significant meaning. We're just supposed to continue human life, that's all. :) Cool, huh!? No, I thought not. Then again, I'm just stating the obvious.
That's a matter of opinion, I believe, so no, nobody is missing the point. =P

Shaun
03-23-2006, 02:39 PM

That's a matter of opinion, I believe, so no, nobody is missing the point. =P

Maybe so. But is it us who define our meaning?

Chris
03-23-2006, 02:47 PM
I hope the meaning is to live without any regrets. To accept the things I can not change and have courage to change the things I can. :)

Loony BoB
03-23-2006, 02:52 PM
Maybe so. But is it us who define our meaning?
That's inevitably an unanswerable question. The only way you can possibly understand any meaning of life is to die.

Shaun
03-23-2006, 03:14 PM
That's inevitably an unanswerable question. The only way you can possibly understand any meaning of life is to die.

But isn't that one of our purposes anyway? :p To give life, and then die. Who says there's something that awaits us in death anyway, good or bad?

smittenkitten
03-23-2006, 03:22 PM
A Peaceful Sleep that is what death give's us a life of dreaming without war or pain and nothing can hurt you :)

Loony BoB
03-23-2006, 03:26 PM
But isn't that one of our purposes anyway? :p To give life, and then die. Who says there's something that awaits us in death anyway, good or bad?

Going in circles, Shaun! Whether our purpose is to give life or to praise the Lord or whatever, nobody will ever know for sure unless they die, or have some kind of religious experience that allows them to "know" (ie, a miracle of sorts or a visit to their house by Jesus or something, I dunno). So to say something is one of our purposes, or to say that we have no purpose, is purely speculation.

Resha
03-23-2006, 03:35 PM
Maybe, as Shaun says, the meaning of life is not defined by anything other than ourselves -- but perhaps it's a human being's exercise of volition that makes our purpose in life valid? We are given the ability to think, the capacity to gain knowledge and learn and the capability of making decisions, after all -- maybe all of these are tools in aiding us to find out the meaning of our life.

I won't say either that everyone has the same meaning in life; I think it differs from person to person, so while death is the end we all achieve (like Shaun says), the way we live our life will give it more meaning than the end result.

Shaun
03-23-2006, 03:35 PM
I can see what you mean. I can understand why anyone who's religious would think that there is something waiting after death. As this post suggests...

The concept of life in the first person is the collection of data and sending of electrochemical signals to the body to react to that data. When a person dies, the nervous system shuts down, precluding any input, output, or interaction of nervous cells.

Therefore when a person dies, she or he ceases to function as an organism and feels nothing because there is no way for anything to be felt. That's all.

You don't feel. You don't think. Nothingness.

Maybe, as Shaun says, the meaning of life is not defined by anything other than ourselves -- but perhaps it's a human being's exercise of volition that makes our purpose in life valid? We are given the ability to think, the capacity to gain knowledge and learn and the capability of making decisions, after all -- maybe all of these are tools in aiding us to find out the meaning of our life.

I won't say either that everyone has the same meaning in life; I think it differs from person to person, so while death is the end we all achieve (like Shaun says), and the way we live our life will give it more meaning than the end result.

We could say that for any living creature. Many creatures can think, and they can gain knowledge. And of course, they can make decisions. The only reason why we - as humans - are this far in life in general, is because we evolved in a way unlike how any other creature has evolved. All creatures on Earth have their own advantages. We have ours. But that doesn't make us distinctly different. We still share the same purpose as anything else. That is, to continue life so evolution can continue, and die. :)

Resha
03-23-2006, 03:39 PM
I don't understand why people think that death holds the answer to the "meaning of life", whether you receive religious enlightenment or rot away as an unfeeling corpse. Why does death have to pertain to life? Death, in my opinion, won't give anyone any meaning in life (or that of life) except in retrospection. It makes more sense to live and learn (through living).

Shaun
03-23-2006, 03:43 PM
Do we always post at the exact same second? :D I agree, death won't tell us anything. Religiously, people believe it will. I personally believe it's just a myth. There's no point in worrying about the meaning of life. I already know that there is no meaning other than what I have just stated. We'll be worrying for nothing as we'll never know anything different.

Resha
03-23-2006, 03:47 PM
I dunno but it's pretty cool to have a psychic connection :D

The meaning of life is 42 and that is that.\

EDIT: Oh, I see. I didn't see your sneaky little edit up there. :nonono: True other animals can learn and choose and think, but you must admit that we're kinda advanced to them? I don't think their capabilities afford them volition on the scale it does us. They're more concerned with eating and sleeping (although I have my doubts about those dolphins :() while we bother ourselves with politics and hiiiigh art daaarlin'.

Jess
03-23-2006, 04:02 PM
To live a happy and fufilling life. :bigsmile:

Shaun
03-23-2006, 04:12 PM
I dunno but it's pretty cool to have a psychic connection :D

The meaning of life is 42 and that is that.\

EDIT: Oh, I see. I didn't see your sneaky little edit up there. :nonono: True other animals can learn and choose and think, but you must admit that we're kinda advanced to them? I don't think their capabilities afford them volition on the scale it does us. They're more concerned with eating and sleeping (although I have my doubts about those dolphins :() while we bother ourselves with politics and hiiiigh art daaarlin'.

Like I said, we evolved differently to them. Besides, in the world we live in, we have no idea on how other animals truly behave. We're just in a world of our own, oblivious to the outside. Sure, they're intelligent. Predators can swiftly hunt prey. What do we do? Oh wait, we buy our food from Tesco. I thought you were an animal lover! :D Yet, you're making them seem braindead. They have to do plenty of things.

Resha
03-23-2006, 05:48 PM
I thought you were an animal lover! :D Yet, you're making them seem braindead. They have to do plenty of things.
Nooo! Hardly brain-dead. Just concerned about other things! ...animal-lover, eh? No connotations? :mad2:

EDIT: Oh; who said animals can't have meanings to their lives too? :(

Social Moon Firesky
03-23-2006, 05:58 PM
- To make as many friends as possible.
- To travel all over the world.
- To adopt kids/have my own.

Shaun
03-23-2006, 06:12 PM
Nooo! Hardly brain-dead. Just concerned about other things! ...animal-lover, eh? No connotations? :mad2

Ahah! :D Maybe.

EDIT: Oh; who said animals can't have meanings to their lives too? :(

Like I said, all life shares the same purpose.

darkys
03-23-2006, 06:21 PM
thats easy...u must kneel before me and praise me as ur only god

Lost Number
03-23-2006, 06:54 PM
To cause pain and misery to all that I meet. And I aint joking.

Project G
03-23-2006, 06:59 PM
Major emoness!

There is no meaning of my life!

Levian
03-23-2006, 07:03 PM
To reproduce and die, making sure your jeans are passed forward. Levi's preferrably.

Loony BoB
03-23-2006, 07:05 PM
If you guys honestly think that the meaning of life is to reproduce and all that, why don't you guys go start making babies. >=o

Lost Number
03-23-2006, 07:07 PM
They are.

Heero Yuy NWZC
03-23-2006, 07:11 PM
chaos: To spread the word of split personalities. :)

Albedo: *laughs maniacally*
Tyler: Mission accomplished.

Heero: that's my line.

Levian
03-23-2006, 07:15 PM
If you guys honestly think that the meaning of life is to reproduce and all that, why don't you guys go start making babies. >=o

I'm a rebel.

Natira
03-23-2006, 09:02 PM
I already did...Twice
By the way, once you start having kids it really does become the meaning of your life. Mostly because you don't have time to have any other purpose! ;)

NeoCracker
03-23-2006, 09:25 PM