PDA

View Full Version : This is the "me" generation?

Monster Hunt
03-23-2006, 09:28 AM
Well, it's my debating topic and i'm affirmative. It's supposed to mean- Are/How selfish are people these days? I'm the second speaker. I'm asking for a bit of help for a speech. It'd be great if you could help me write one or talk about-Are/How selfish are people these days.

So can you help? I'd be eternally grateful if you could.

Vyk
03-23-2006, 01:28 PM
I just had a horrible time with someone else's selfishness. But I don't think that has anything to do with generation. And I don't want to drag it in here as an example even if it were. But really, I suppose it's human nature to want to further yourself. Selflessness seems to be the exception, not the rule. I know I'm not helping. Sorry.. Maybe someone will counter-point me and you'll get stuff from a debate ^_^

fire_of_avalon
03-23-2006, 02:05 PM
Well, it depends on which set of people you're talking about. Many feel selfishness is a commn attribute of the baby boomers and gen Xers, but also feel that the current generation (of which we're a part of) is not as self centered as the former. However, this also happens to be one generation that has pretty much defied labeling, so I really don't know.

I will say that, over all, everyone is out for themselves, but I don't believe that's necessarily selfish.

Rye
03-23-2006, 08:08 PM
Isn't out generation the Materialistic Generation? I dunno. Our generation is pretty cool.

theundeadhero
03-23-2006, 08:28 PM
It's the MTV Generation, man :pimp:

Master Quan
03-23-2006, 09:14 PM
Isn't out generation the Materialistic Generation? I dunno. Our generation is pretty cool.

I imagine that the two things sort of go hand in hand. But I sort of agree with both anyway.

I'd probably have classed this generation as the "asshole" generation though. It brought rise to yob culture, which, in turn, brought about a "Hey buddy, I'm going to /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif on your driveway, what are you gonna do about it?" and to a lesser extent, "Why should I do /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif for you?" kind of attitudes to the world.

I'd say it's partly (I say partly because I don't want to sound cliché) due to music, and the offensive nature there of. I'd also say it's partly down to human nature. People need "something" to single out, or a particular behaviour to define themselves.

I can remember back when I was in secondary school, I remember how things were back then. How you were meant to act to teachers, older years, etc. You just didn't fuck with them. Then when I got into the senior years, the little punks were as cheeky as hell. If I were a teacher and some kid to me to "fuck myself" I'd screw my job and punch him in the face.

In my honest opinion we need a good long World War Three to sort /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif out.

Trumpet Thief
03-23-2006, 09:17 PM
chaos: Well, I certainly don't think we're the best of the generations. Peer pressure is at an all time high, with drugs being labelled as "cool". I'm really surprised how stupid/mean some of the 12+ kids are. Basically, I think the above poster is pretty much right, except I thought the WW3 part was a lil' extreme.

Rubedo: Whoops, we thought this EOEO.

Rye
03-23-2006, 09:22 PM

Uck, definitely. It's really upsetting how MTV has warped people's ideals of life. Now, every girl in the world expects to have some gigantic freaking Sweet 16 party because everyone on MTV spends enough money to buy a small county on their Sweet 16s. It's ridiculous. I'm not having a Sweet 16 at all.

I think what I'm doing for my 16th birthday is much better. I'm getting a laptop and going on a cruise with my family to the East Carribeans. Well, the cruise wasn't planned as a birthday present (it just fell onto my birthday), but since I'm not a MTV brainwashed gluttony kid, I'm more than happy with what I'm getting for my birthday and I wouldn't ask for anything more because a cruise and a laptop because my parents are spending so much money on the cruise that it'd be downright terrible to ask for anything more. I wasn't even going to ask for a laptop, I was happy with just the cruise. xD

I do like this generation, though it does have it's extreme flaws, like all generations do.

Trumpet Thief
03-23-2006, 09:25 PM

Uck, definitely. It's really upsetting how MTV has warped people's ideals of life. Now, every girl in the world expects to have some gigantic freaking Sweet 16 party because everyone on MTV spends enough money to buy a small county on their Sweet 16's. It's ridiculous. I'm not having a Sweet 16 at all.

I think what I'm doing for my 16th birthday is much better. I'm getting a laptop and going on a cruise with my family to the East Carribeans. Well, the cruise wasn't planned as a birthday present, but I'm not a MTV brainwashed gluttony kid, I'm more than happy with what I'm getting for my birthday and I wouldn't ask for anything more because a cruise and a laptop are freaking expensive. I wasn't even going to ask for a laptop, I was happy with just the cruise. xD

I do like this generation, though it does have it's extreme flaws, like all generations do.

chaos: Yeah, what's that stupid show's name again? All I remember is some really bratty teen goin' like "C'mon gurlz, ya know my sweet 16 is the best!" and her dad's just kind of standing there spending thousands of dollars on her stupid party. She got Beyonce to come and sing at her birthday, or somethin' like that.

Rubedo: And plus, with all these "punks" emerging, it's getting annoying. It seems like these guys are trying to go out of their way to be ***holes.

Anaisa
03-23-2006, 10:40 PM
I can't stand my generation. An things are only going to get worse. I base this prediction on the fact that most little kids nowadays are total assholes.

SoulTaker*
03-23-2006, 10:40 PM
If this truly is the "me" generation, then we should see the biggest economic boom in history pretty soon. Capitalism is all based on selfishness, greed and individualism.

I personally dont watch MTV unless there actually showing music or Im over a friends house and they're watchin it. It just makes me angry.

Monster Hunt
03-24-2006, 08:07 AM
thanks for some help, guys