PDA

View Full Version : Bad grammar.

Shaun
03-23-2006, 02:02 PM
Bad grammar seriously annoys me. I have the seventh sense. ;) I can instantly see bad grammar, and it sends a shiver down my spine. Whether it's on a billboard or a shop sign, I want to tear it down, or get a huge marker pen and put an apostrophe in there, for example.

However, I think that there's one group of people who are mainly to blame for bad grammar in today's society... Teachers! I know you're probably thinking "OMG TEACHERS FTW" but seriously, I think teachers are genuinely to blame for bad grammar. When they write stuff like "1960's" or "con's" on the whiteboard, people will automatically assume that this is correct.

Who's with me? I think that all teachers should have some serious improvements with their English skills in general. I mean, I'm seventeen, but I don't make the mistakes that half of these thirty-year-old (or older) teachers make. It's a growing problem, and it's only going to get worse. Whilst - to some of you - it will just seem like a small problem, to Grammar Nazis like me, it will always seem like something big! :D

What are your thoughts?

Chris
03-23-2006, 02:04 PM
It doesn't really bother me, unless it's painfully obvious.

Meat Puppet
03-23-2006, 02:05 PM
If I can understand it, I'm cool with it.

Mirage
03-23-2006, 02:52 PM
I'm a grammar nazi myself. I hate it when things like newspapers, advertisements and other things that are viewed by thousands of people have typing errors or bad grammar. When you're getting paid for writing something, the least you can do is to check the spelling and grammar a few times before you release it.

Shaun
03-23-2006, 02:57 PM
Yeah, I totally agree. I hate it when you get those flyers which say stuff like "New bar open - over 18's only."

At least someone is on my side. :)

Flying Mullet
03-23-2006, 03:00 PM
I like to sneak into your room at night and scribble grammatical nonsense on your ceiling so you see it when you wake up. :yellowkin

Tavrobel
03-23-2006, 03:05 PM
I too am a grammar Nazi, but that's because I have a trained ear. (I don't remember anything besides "yes", and "no" in my first language, even though I know what it was, and I learned English from Sesame Street).

Unfortunately, in our society, grammer isn't really a problem for the general populace. Having an English major means... very little. English skills are seen as something that helps everything else, but not a subject that is to be studied as a main point for your career.

You blame teachers, but students are to blame as well. No one speaks up to challenge a teacher if the need be. If you REALLY wanted to get technical, you would have to blame the gov't for not enforcing good grammar teaching, society for forgetting that English is a language and has rules and throwing it to the wayside, the media for using incorrect grammar the most, and exposing people to it, assuming that just because the media saiod it, it is automatically correct, and for isolation, the one thing that changes a language the most.

And some more stuff.

Languages evolve as dialects of the same language, but when enough isolation has occured over a period of time, the language is different. E.g., Spanish vs. French, both Romance languages, but different.

Shaun
03-23-2006, 03:25 PM
I like to sneak into your room at night and scribble grammatical nonsense on your ceiling so you see it when you wake up. :yellowkin

So it was YOU!? Right, I'm installing a camera in my room now! :D

I too am a grammar Nazi, but that's because I have a trained ear. (I don't remember anything besides "yes", and "no" in my first language, even though I know what it was, and I learned English from Sesame Street).

Unfortunately, in our society, grammer isn't really a problem for the general populace. Having an English major means... very little. English skills are seen as something that helps everything else, but not a subject that is to be studied as a main point for your career.

You blame teachers, but students are to blame as well. No one speaks up to challenge a teacher if the need be. If you REALLY wanted to get technical, you would have to blame the gov't for not enforcing good grammar teaching, society for forgetting that English is a language and has rules and throwing it to the wayside, the media for using incorrect grammar the most, and exposing people to it, assuming that just because the media saiod it, it is automatically correct, and for isolation, the one thing that changes a language the most.

And some more stuff.

Languages evolve as dialects of the same language, but when enough isolation has occured over a period of time, the language is different. E.g., Spanish vs. French, both Romance languages, but different.

Yeah, the government are also to blame. I guess that with the English language - as opposed to phonetic-based languages - spelling mistakes are far easier, as well as grammatical errors - but there is no excuse. Like you said, the media are too to blame. They've actually protrayed it as 'cool' to use this so-called 'txt lnguage' (to teenagers, at least). It just really gets on my nerves. I see 'professional' company buildings, and they can't even spell 'you're' properly. Yet, I can't seem to get a job... No justice.

Anyway, yeah, I get what you're saying. It's just not acceptable. When people have job interviews for anything which actually involves sharing their English skills in some way, they should be given a 'complex' English test. But of course, that's never gonna happen.

Resha
03-23-2006, 03:44 PM
I am a Grammar Nazi sometimes; but I love the semi-colon so much I constantly violate my own laws.

;!!!!!!!!!! ; POWER!

Oh, hyphens are pretty hot too. :love: They look soooo distinguished in the middle of some random sentence -- no?

Old Manus
03-23-2006, 03:45 PM
Shaun leads the crusade against bad grammar in EoFF

A thread in General Chat and Feedback, WHO'S NEXT?

Shaun
03-23-2006, 03:47 PM
I am a Grammar Nazi sometimes; but I love the semi-colon so much I constantly violate my own laws.

;!!!!!!!!!! ; POWER!

Oh, hyphens are pretty hot too. :love: They look soooo distinguished in the middle of some random sentence -- no?

I believe - that in most cases - hyphens should be used like this. No double-hyphen. :D I too love the semi-colon! A couple of years back, I didn't even know what it's used for! However, when you know how to write good English, it's pretty fun (you won't sound like an eejit).

Hah, you're right there. :) I might create a petition against bad grammar at EoFF. :D Well, if you want to know why today in particular I've created this thread...

I've been in Media Studies lesson, and the lack of grammatical knowledge my teacher has really got on my nerves. I felt like getting up and explaining her grammatical errors in the middle of lesson. But of course, I'd look like an idiot, and everyone else (probably) in my class didn't know the difference. She wrote "N.M.T's" for New Media Technologies, and she put "pro's" and "con's" for pros and cons, and... *thinks* I'm SURE she put movies - or a word very similar - as "movie's".

Very annoying. :)

Agent Proto
03-23-2006, 03:50 PM

Writer's Corner of course. :D

Dignified Pauper
03-23-2006, 03:53 PM
Do I smell a revival of the EGG? If so, I can't lead it, it will fail.

Shaun
03-23-2006, 03:53 PM

Writer's Corner of course. :D

That's what my thread in Feedback was about! :D And the "artist's" forums.

Edit: What IS the EGG? I heard of it somewhere... EoFF Grammar Gestapo?

Shoden
03-23-2006, 03:57 PM
I'm the equivilant of semi-literate, I can spell, use basics commas, apostrophes and usually full stops, basically that's all that's needed, but when people type "liek dis lolz" it sucks, as long as people undrstand it you're fine.

Jess
03-23-2006, 03:58 PM
I don't really have a problem with bad grammar, unless I can't understand what the person is saying.

Dignified Pauper
03-23-2006, 03:59 PM
Did someone say EoFF Grammar Gestapo? (EGG)!? Alright, let's start it up.

Resha
03-23-2006, 04:00 PM
I believe - that in most cases - hyphens should be used like this. No double-hyphen. :D I too love the semi-colon! A couple of years back, I didn't even know what it's used for! However, when you know how to write good English, it's pretty fun (you won't sound like an eejit).
-- gives me double the hyphen coolness. :cool: It's like a buy one get one free, a man and wife -- I cannot have one without the other. :(

Shaun
03-23-2006, 04:02 PM
Did someone say EoFF Grammar Gestapo? (EGG)!? Alright, lets start it up.
Hey, sure thing! :D I'm sure that anyone who hates bad grammar would automatically be 'beamed' to this thread, so anyone should just post here if they'd like to sign up. By the way, you forgot the apostrophe from let's. I should make a sig for EGG, and we should correct posts all over EoFF! Bwahaha!

-- gives me double the hyphen coolness. :cool: It's like a buy one get one free, a man and wife -- I cannot have one without the other. :(

Good God. We posted at the exact same time AGAIN (well, almost)! Are we psychically linked? Hey, why type an extra hyphen when you don't have to? I'm just wondering which one is classed as correct.

Zeldy
03-23-2006, 04:04 PM
Aslong as I can understand it, its fine. I love the ; too! I use it all the time!

Shaun
03-23-2006, 04:07 PM
Aslong as I can understand it, its fine. I love the ; too! I use it all the time!

Here comes my first correction. Tee-hee. As long is two words, and it's not its, it's it's! :D

Also, there's a better way to word your last two sentences. A semi-colon is usually used to explain something. So, to improve:

"I love the ; too; I use it all the time."

Sorry Zeldy, but you're my first victim. :)

Resha
03-23-2006, 04:20 PM
Good God. We posted at the exact same time AGAIN (well, almost)! Are we psychically linked? Hey, why type an extra hyphen when you don't have to? I'm just wondering which one is classed as correct.

YES! We MUST be! :p

Double hyphen isn't correct by Grammar Nazi standards, I don't think. It's just one of my silly little....whims.

theundeadhero
03-23-2006, 04:22 PM
The leader of the EOFF Grammer Gestapo has been runnoft, thus achieving victory for us heathens.

Shaun
03-23-2006, 04:27 PM
Well, I'll be sure to revive EGG as soon as I can! I'll probably even be able to design some sigs tomorrow, if I have the time! ...And possibly prepare an English test which I'll PM to users. That'll do the trick! Anyhoo, I've got computing work to take care of now (the deadline is tomorrow), so I'll check back tomorrow. :)

Vyk
03-23-2006, 04:28 PM
Proper grammar isn't always the best choice. For instance, there's a rule dictating that adding posessive tense to anything ending with an S requires merely an apostrophe, just like it were plural. So when you say you have Jesus' blessing. That's like saying there's a group of Jesu, otherwise known as Jesus, and you have their blessing. I think grammar is wrong in this rule. When it's singular, posession should be expressed with an apostrophe + S no matter what it ends in. So I'll take Jesus's blessing. I have similar issues with numbers and letters. When you rave about the 1980s and type it as 1980's. I prefer that. It seperates the numbers from the letter. The only problem is when you get lazy and abbreviate the year(s) like I was born in '82. And you want to talk about the 80s in that manner you get the '80's. Let's face it. English is just stupid. Its not something you learn. Its something you memorize.

I before E except after C. Except that rarely applies to words that you have to wonder on. Theif? Or Thief? Their, neighbor, weigh, leisure, seizure, etc. Stupid rule. It doesn't exist

So when the english language can't even make sense of itself, it seems kind of pointless to go off on people not getting a language's grammar right when the language is broken to begin with.

Old Manus
03-23-2006, 04:31 PM
Did someone say EoFF Grammar Gestapo? (EGG)!? Alright, lets start it up.
Are you sure about this

DK
03-23-2006, 04:39 PM
I don't care. Far more important things to worry about in life than grammar.

Zeldy
03-23-2006, 04:42 PM

Here comes my first correction. Tee-hee. As long is two words, and it's not its, it's it's! :D

Also, there's a better way to word your last two sentences. A semi-colon is usually used to explain something. So, to improve:

"I love the ; too; I use it all the time."

Sorry Zeldy, but you're my first victim. :)
Bah.

Shaun
03-23-2006, 04:49 PM
Proper grammar isn't always the best choice. For instance, there's a rule dictating that adding posessive tense to anything ending with an S requires merely an apostrophe, just like it were plural. So when you say you have Jesus' blessing. That's like saying there's a group of Jesu, otherwise known as Jesus, and you have their blessing. I think grammar is wrong in this rule. When it's singular, posession should be expressed with an apostrophe + S no matter what it ends in. So I'll take Jesus's blessing. I have similar issues with numbers and letters. When you rave about the 1980s and type it as 1980's. I prefer that. It seperates the numbers from the letter. The only problem is when you get lazy and abbreviate the year(s) like I was born in '82. And you want to talk about the 80s in that manner you get the '80's. Let's face it. English is just stupid. Its not something you learn. Its something you memorize.

I before E except after C. Except that rarely applies to words that you have to wonder on. Theif? Or Thief? Their, neighbor, weigh, leisure, seizure, etc. Stupid rule. It doesn't exist

So when the english language can't even make sense of itself, it seems kind of pointless to go off on people not getting a language's grammar right when the language is broken to begin with.

I believe it's just a matter of common sense. Of course, the 'I before E, except after C' rule won't apply to everything. It's not exactly difficult to memorise that you should write '60s and 1960s. The only reason why people don't do this correctly is ignorance.

I don't care. Far more important things to worry about in life than grammar.

Never! :) I just believe people need to learn these basic skills. It's not hard... Hopefully, EGG will help the ignorant improve their grammatical skills. ;) Maybe, we'll reduce the deterioration of the English language...just a little bit.

Anaisa
03-23-2006, 04:50 PM
I don't care about what I would class to be minor punctuation mistakes. As long as it's legible it doesn't matter to me. I do however care about teachers punctuation mistakes, when they are teaching English. That is their job, if they can't do that job properly then they shouldn't be doing it at all. I used to frequently argue with my teachers about comma's. They would say: "You need a comma there". I would say: Do I? Why is that? They'd say: "Because you need to take a breath there". I would say: "No I don't". An then I'd proceed to read whatever it was I'd written, without stopping for a breath where they said I would need to. I also believe that animal species names should be given capital letters. I don't care who tells me that your not supposed to, I'm still going to do it because I think it's correct! The only time I make a conscious effort to care about my punctuation is when I'm taking a test. It turns out that I'm actually very good at English when I try! Have fun correcting all this Shaun. ;)

Spiffing Cheese
03-23-2006, 04:54 PM
It used to annoy me but now... I don't care. :D

Vyk
03-23-2006, 04:55 PM
Ignorance? I just showed I know the rule. But I also showed grammar rules in the english language are retarded. So I just go with my preference :] As I'm sure most people do

Shaun
03-23-2006, 04:59 PM
I don't care about what I would class to be minor punctuation mistakes. As long as it's legible it doesn't matter to me. I do however care about teachers (teachers') punctuation mistakes, when they are teaching English. That is their job, (possibly semi-colon) if they can't do that job properly then they shouldn't be doing it at all. I used to frequently argue with my teachers about comma's (no apostrophe - it's plural). They would say: "You need a comma there". (invert these) I would say: Do I? Why is that? They'd say: "Because you need to take a breath there". (invert these) I would say: "No I don't". (invert these) And then I'd proceed to read whatever it was I'd written, without stopping for a breath where they said I would need to. I also believe that animal species (species') names should be given capital letters. I don't care who tells me that your (you're!) not supposed to, I'm still going to do it because I think it's correct! The only time I make a conscious effort to care about my punctuation is when I'm taking a test. It turns out that I'm actually very good at English when I try! Have fun correcting all this Shaun. ;)

Hey, no problem. :D

Edit: Tomorrow, I'm going to correct every spelling/grammar error in this thead. :)

Ignorance? I just showed I know the rule. But I also showed grammar rules in the english (requires capital letter) language are retarded. So I just go with my preference :] As I'm sure most people do (no full stop!?)

So what do you suggest? That we all spell words and use grammar like a secondary/high school kid would? It only takes a little bit of effort.

crazybayman
03-23-2006, 05:03 PM
OMG LIEK TYPING BAD GRAMAR ON PURPOSE IS TEH SEXORZ CAUZ ITS TTLY KEWL

theundeadhero
03-23-2006, 05:03 PM
May of those would not be invered because the sentence was started outside of the speech text.

Spiffing Cheese
03-23-2006, 05:04 PM
Oh.

Here comes my first correction.

the government are also to blame.

Here's mine: 'the government' is singular. :)

Anaisa
03-23-2006, 05:16 PM
I don't care about what I would class to be minor punctuation mistakes. As long as it's legible it doesn't matter to me. I do however care about teachers (teachers') punctuation mistakes, when they are teaching English. That is their job, (possibly semi-colon) if they can't do that job properly then they shouldn't be doing it at all. I used to frequently argue with my teachers about comma's (no apostrophe - it's plural). They would say: "You need a comma there". (invert these) I would say: Do I? Why is that? They'd say: "Because you need to take a breath there". (invert these) I would say: "No I don't". (invert these) And then I'd proceed to read whatever it was I'd written, without stopping for a breath where they said I would need to. I also believe that animal species (species') names should be given capital letters. I don't care who tells me that your (you're!) not supposed to, I'm still going to do it because I think it's correct! The only time I make a conscious effort to care about my punctuation is when I'm taking a test. It turns out that I'm actually very good at English when I try! Have fun correcting all this Shaun. ;)

I knew there wasn't supposed to be an apostrophe in commas. But I put it there because I think the word commas looks weird without an apostrophe! An I think your wrong about me having to invert my discussion on commas.

Edit: Tomorrow, I'm going to correct every spelling/grammar error in this thead. :)
That should be "thread". I beat you to that one!

Tavrobel
03-23-2006, 05:18 PM
Persons, try no to be grammer Naxis, okey?

Some rules about hyphens...
-- double hyphen, for when someone is cut off in the middle of a sentence, and does not complete it
- single hyphen, used for certain words. There's no rule to define all of them; you simply have to memorize them.
; "semicolons", used for incomplete thoughts that are connected together without the use of conjunctions. Some words are used a a major hint, such as "however". A very unused grammar "thingy" in English.
: "colon", used for lists
, "comma"; you know how to use them, don't be comma Nazis
' "apostrophe", used to show certain forms of possession and contractions
" "quotation"; I'm sure you know how to use these properly
... "ellipsis", used to denote a sentence that was cut off...

...and completed soon after. Perhaps after when another person said something.

We must also remember that WRITTEN speech is different from SPOKEN speech. I would venture to guess that most people here type as they would. In such cases, certain words that are not stand alone phrases can be used alone. E.g., adverbs to answer a question. I doubt alot of people here know how to use English in its fullest, and most correct manner. Even I don't.

Another problem with English, is that if you spell or pronounce something wrong, it doesn't change the meaning of the word.

Prerogative
Perrogative

Which one is correct?

If you chose the first, you need to get a life because that is the CORRECT form of the word, meaning something similar to descretion. But see? The first form looks wierd, but if you came across either, you would know what it is; written or spoken.

Me: So did you see --
You: STFU!
Me: O RLY!?
You: YA RLY!

Don't try to point out the misspellings, and improper usages in my post. Anything I have, I did it for a reason. It's also really annoying.

Zeldy
03-23-2006, 05:19 PM
Tomorrow, I'm going to correct every spelling/grammar error in this thead.

That is quite sad, actually.

Spiffing Cheese
03-23-2006, 05:24 PM

It's not QUITE sad, it's UNBELIEVABLY sad. Dude, get a life.

Vyk
03-23-2006, 05:33 PM
So what do you suggest? That we all spell words and use grammar like a secondary/high school kid would? It only takes a little bit of effort.
No, there's a general realm of acceptance, and that's all there needs to be. The language itself doesn't put forth any effort towards consistency. Nobody enforced what words, or in what way those words, entered our language. Considering slang as a whole is now completely accepted, its kind of pointless to be a grammar nazi when a good portion of the language is based on accepted laziness. Slang, abbreviation, acronyms, etc. The least accepted form of communication is shorthand. That's the only one I have a problem with. As long as people attempt to spell out words and create whole sentences I've no problem with how they communicate. But U does not equal YOU. U is a letter. As is R. And together they don't equal YOUR/YOU'RE

Shaun
03-23-2006, 05:51 PM
May of those would not be invered because the sentence was started outside of the speech text.

It was literally a quick skim, and some copying and pasting. I don't have time to check through everything. People should be able to on their own.

Oh.

Everybody makes a mistake every so often.

I knew there wasn't supposed to be an apostrophe in commas. But I put it there because I think the word commas looks weird without an apostrophe! An I think your wrong about me having to invert my discussion on commas.

I think I'm right in most of the changes I made, but like I said above...

As for that, it's a typo. Not a genuine error. I type pretty fast so I do occasionally make typography errors.

Persons, try no to be grammer Naxis, okey?

Some rules about hyphens...
-- double hyphen, for when someone is cut off in the middle of a sentence, and does not complete it
- single hyphen, used for certain words. There's no rule to define all of them; you simply have to memorize them.
; "semicolons", used for incomplete thoughts that are connected together without the use of conjunctions. Some words are used a a major hint, such as "however". A very unused grammar "thingy" in English.
: "colon", used for lists
, "comma"; you know how to use them, don't be comma Nazis
' "apostrophe", used to show certain forms of possession and contractions
" "quotation"; I'm sure you know how to use these properly
... "ellipsis", used to denote a sentence that was cut off...

...and completed soon after. Perhaps after when another person said something.

We must also remember that WRITTEN speech is different from SPOKEN speech. I would venture to guess that most people here type as they would. In such cases, certain words that are not stand alone phrases can be used alone. E.g., adverbs to answer a question. I doubt alot of people here know how to use English in its fullest, and most correct manner. Even I don't.

Another problem with English, is that if you spell or pronounce something wrong, it doesn't change the meaning of the word.

Prerogative
Perrogative

Which one is correct?

If you chose the first, you need to get a life because that is the CORRECT form of the word, meaning something similar to descretion. But see? The first form looks weird, but if you came across either, you would know what it is; written or spoken.

Me: So did you see --
You: STFU!
Me: O RLY!?
You: YA RLY!

Don't try to point out the misspellings, and improper usages in my post. Anything I have, I did it for a reason. It's also really annoying.

I knew that was what double-hypens were for. About 99% certain - I just had to make sure. Thanks, hopefully some will learn from that.

I think I should rename the group to EGASG. EoFF Grammar and Sarcasm Gestapo.

No, there's a general realm of acceptance, and that's all there needs to be. The language itself doesn't put forth any effort towards consistency. Nobody enforced what words, or in what way those words, entered our language. Considering slang as a whole is now completely accepted, its kind of pointless to be a grammar nazi when a good portion of the language is based on accepted laziness. Slang, abbreviation, acronyms, etc. The least accepted form of communication is shorthand. That's the only one I have a problem with. As long as people attempt to spell out words and create whole sentences I've no problem with how they communicate. But U does not equal YOU. U is a letter. As is R. And together they don't equal YOUR/YOU'RE

Well, that's simply your opinion. I can't stand shorthand either, and I'm surprised at myself for not deleting any shorthand-using online contacts. However, I want people to have perfect English, or I'd like to encourage it. It will help to have perfect English (or near-perfect), especially at a young age. People have their different opinions, and I respect that...but as a Grammar Nazi, even small errors get on my nerves.

Shauna
03-23-2006, 05:54 PM
Oh.

Haha. PWNED. :cool:

Quite so. :)

Anyway, I'm not much of a Grammar Nazi. I'm more of a spelling Nazi. xD I can't resist correcting a spelling mistake, and by correcting I mean picking out the word and questioning the writer on it. :cool:

DK
03-23-2006, 05:54 PM
Oh.

Wales 1 England 0

Shaun
03-23-2006, 05:57 PM
Haha. PWNED. :cool:

Not really. I only get a few hours on the Internet daily, so when I type things, I do it really fast without really thinking about it. Whilst that might seem like an excuse, it isn't. How many errors can you find in all of my posts? Not many.

Anyway, I'm not much of a Grammar Nazi. I'm more of a spelling Nazi. xD I can't resist correcting a spelling mistake, and by correcting I mean picking out the word and questioning the writer on it. :cool:

EGG cover spelling and grammar.

Wales 1 England 0.

What has this got to do with England and Wales? :p But in that case...

England 2 - Wales 1. Not only was that incorrectly structured, but you missed something...

Edit: Hold on, are you from Wales or Cornwall? Sheesh, how am I supposed to memorise so many members' locations? Either way, you're supporting Wales.

darkys
03-23-2006, 05:58 PM
so u all going to love me im a /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gify speller and i usaly do grammar mistakes :P i have dyslexia and im greek.....so i told england very best hahahahahaha

Shauna
03-23-2006, 06:04 PM

EGG cover spelling and grammar.

Meh. I couldn't give a damn about grammar. :D

Shaun
03-23-2006, 06:09 PM
so u all going to love me im a /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gify speller and i usaly do grammar mistakes :P i have dyslexia and im greek.....so i told england very best hahahahahaha

:eek: You've plagued the thread!

Vyk
03-23-2006, 06:09 PM
There's a general rule where we are expected to accept someone's mistakes in English because it's not their native language. If anyone corrects you, I'm sure they mean it in a helpful manner. Though some people can be quite arrogant in how they help

darkys
03-23-2006, 06:10 PM
keeep corecting mi beby i love it plz dont stap....lets get 2gether

Shaun
03-23-2006, 06:16 PM
There's a general rule where we are expected to accept someone's mistakes in English because it's not their native language. If anyone corrects you, I'm sure they mean it in a helpful manner. Though some people can be quite arrogant in how they help

I try to do it in a helpful manner. I'm also fully aware that people make far more errors online as opposed to essays. I just don't think it's very hard to type an extra full stop like you forgot to do - and I'm not saying that in an arrogant way.

keeep corecting mi beby i love it plz dont stap....lets get 2gether

These guys will take good care of you...

http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=81472

darkys
03-23-2006, 06:26 PM
plz im reely crazy when i wright because wrighting is an expresion so.... im realy crazy and lifeless like an ud(undead) the only thing keeping me going is my spelling and ff

Vyk
03-23-2006, 07:09 PM
You keep making assumptions. You should go look at my posts more closely. I never put a full stop at the end of my posts. Or if/when I do it's completely by accident. I usually leave the last sentence open on purpose

Levian
03-23-2006, 07:21 PM
I have only two words to say about this thread. Alot.

theundeadhero
03-23-2006, 08:07 PM
I think Shaun would understand some of our posts better if we put /SARCASM at the end of them, but not this one.

Omnislash07
03-23-2006, 08:21 PM
I'm 18 and I'm bad when it comes to punctuation. For example, I often write essays that are 5 pages or longer and i dont put in a single form of punctuation other than periods and quotation marks (for quotes obviusly). So I agree with most people that as long as people understand you and it doesn't look competly retarded then it's no big deal.

Although I am a pronunciation Nazi. I hate it when people mispronounce words and I always correct them.

Miriel
03-23-2006, 08:21 PM
Oh god.

I thought Shaun was a girl this whole time.

Rye
03-23-2006, 08:22 PM
I have pretty good grammar and spelling. :D

Shauna
03-23-2006, 08:24 PM
Oh god.

You may have been thinking about me? :D He changed his name to spite me and confuse everyone! :p

Vincent, Thunder God
03-23-2006, 08:26 PM
Yeah, I'm annoyed by poor grammar, and always use good grammar. But I dissagree that teachers are to blame. You must have some pretty crappy teachers if you think that; I've always found my teachers to be the best people at writing grammar that I know.

Leeza
03-23-2006, 08:32 PM
There will be no EGG at EoFF. If you want perfect grammar, join a grammar site. There are members here from all over the world and from all walks of life and some do not have a full understanding of English. You do not know who these people are and they do not need to be critisized for their shortcomings in this area. They are posting at an FF site.

No, I do not like to see a bunch of jumbled text from someone who I <i>think</i> should be able to do better, but I really don't know if they can do better. At any rate, correcting someone's grammar on this site is not necessary because it usually comes off as member moderating or being rude, so it's best to just leave it alone.

Spiffing Cheese
03-23-2006, 09:03 PM
Wales 1 England 0.

What has this got to do with England and Wales? :p But in that case...

England 2 - Wales 1. Not only was that incorrectly structured, but you missed something...

Edit: Hold on, are you from Wales or Cornwall? Sheesh, how am I supposed to memorise so many members' locations? Either way, you're supporting Wales.

You're English. I'm Welsh. He was suggesting that I owned you there, but, of course, 'everyone makes mistakes', and you type 'without thinking about it'. And, also, I don't believe he was trying to make a point about his grammar, he was trying to make a point that I clearly showed you up. xD

Yeah; I think you're over the top with the obsession with grammar. So somebody doesn't have perfect English... does it really matter all that much?

Ouch!
03-23-2006, 09:27 PM
I'm affectionately called the grammar Nazi of my high school paper. Despite my intense interest in making the world a more grammatically sound place, I would never be able to support a revival of the EGG.

I am bummed out that I missed it the first time around, though.

By the way, it's a throw back to much earlier in the thread, but Jesus' is the correct possessive form of Jesus. Biblical names and other wellknown ancient historical figures with names ending in s just take the apostrophe.

Luara
03-23-2006, 09:33 PM
I like grammer... a book of grammer for tables :)
but English itsnt my tipe..Lol

Spiffing Cheese
03-23-2006, 09:35 PM
I like grammer... a book of grammer for tables :)
but English itsnt my tipe..Lol

You win. :)

Shotgunnova
03-23-2006, 09:48 PM
I'm only finnicky about my own grammar. Correcting other people for the sake of correcting them is petty, and probably my number-one pet peeve at the moment.

Vincent, Thunder God
03-23-2006, 09:50 PM
There will be no EGG at EoFF. If you want perfect grammar, join a grammar site. There are members here from all over the world and from all walks of life and some do not have a full understanding of English. You do not know who these people are and they do not need to be critisized for their shortcomings in this area. They are posting at an FF site.

No, I do not like to see a bunch of jumbled text from someone who I <i>think</i> should be able to do better, but I really don't know if they can do better. At any rate, correcting someone's grammar on this site is not necessary because it usually comes off as member moderating or being rude, so it's best to just leave it alone.

Excellent point.

Reles
03-23-2006, 10:08 PM

No, you're right Anaisa, there's no need for you to invert those. In America we do quotes differently, but since you're not from America then you shouldn't have to do it our way. :o

I'm not a grammar nazi because I'm absolutely horrible at grammar. :D I'd say if it sounds correct when reading it out loud, then that's all that matters to me.

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-23-2006, 10:38 PM
I am pretty sure you cannot invert the quotation marks on here, maybe I am wrong.

Ironically, some members have been calling themselves grammar freaks, yet they have errors in their spelling. I know vocabulary and grammar are not the same, but there is a tendancy for grammar freaks to have an obsession with spelling also.

Also, I noticed that when describing the usage of a semi-colon, that there was an important factor excluded: independent clauses. A semi-colon has the same effect as a co-ordinating conjunction, which connects two related independent clauses. Sometimes a semi-colon is coupled with a co-ordinating conjunction, though it is not necessary.

Please ignore any comma splices. I have a love for comma's; sometimes that love gets out of hand.

Samuraid
03-23-2006, 10:43 PM
Wut rly bothrs me is wen ppl dun type wel lik this.

Dignified Pauper
03-24-2006, 01:47 AM

Um, excuse me, but by limiting my option to restart EGG aren't you being more like Shinra and rude!? I'm offended. It's probably because I'm gay. I should sue.

Further, I shall also add that if you can't speak English well, then don't. I can't speak German well, so I don't. I can manage, but I find it disrespectful to try to communicate with people without knowing how. Luckily, we don't have anyone completely illiterate at English, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Miriel
03-24-2006, 02:07 AM
Um, excuse me, but by limiting my option to restart EGG aren't you being more like Shinra and rude!? I'm offended. It's probably because I'm gay. I should sue.

Further, I shall also add that if you can't speak English well, then don't. I can't speak German well, so I don't. I can manage, but I find it disrespectful to try to communicate with people without knowing how. Luckily, we don't have anyone completely illiterate at English, so this shouldn't be a problem.
With you, I'm never quite sure whether you're joking or not.

Dignified Pauper
03-24-2006, 02:09 AM
Isn't that why I am so loved here?

Hambone
03-24-2006, 02:16 AM
My mom is an editor for People's Publishing Group. She is obsessed with grammar as am I.

Shoeberto
03-24-2006, 02:19 AM
as a gamer i hav exp a lot of predujizzes

XxSephirothxX
03-24-2006, 02:24 AM
Sure, I dislike bad grammar, and I do my best to spell things correctly and all that jazz. But I've gotten tired of complaining about it, because everyone makes mistakes eventually--I don't want to make a big deal about something and then eat my own words a few days later. School-wise, I don't make many grammatical errors, and usually can instinctively tell where commas need to go, etc. But I'm horrible at the grammar work itself--identify what's an adverb phrase, an adjective phrase, and so on. I wish now that I'd actually worked hard last year and could still remember that stuff, because I feel like I'm missing an important part of my English education.

Yuffie514
03-24-2006, 06:10 AM
i don't really mind someone using bad grammar (online) so long as i can make out what they're trying to say.

Despotus
03-24-2006, 06:39 AM
However, I think that there's one group of people who are mainly to blame for bad grammar in today's society... Teachers! I know you're probably thinking "OMG TEACHERS FTW" but seriously, I think teachers are genuinely to blame for bad grammar. When they write stuff like "1960's" or "con's" on the whiteboard, people will automatically assume that this is correct.

Who's with me? I think that all teachers should have some serious improvements with their English skills in general. I mean, I'm seventeen, but I don't make the mistakes that half of these thirty-year-old (or older) teachers make. It's a growing problem, and it's only going to get worse.
As I am, myself, an over-30-year-old English teacher, I would like to point out that not all of us (nor even half of us) have poor grammar skills. I teach English as a second language here in South Korea, and I feel that correct grammar is the most difficult skill to master. It is not the most important aspect of language, though. Communication is. I do try to point out the serious grammar mistakes that my students make, but would never get as nit-picky as the "Grammar Nazis" that have posted in this thread. Have some sympathy for those international members of EoFF who bravely post here despite their grammatical shortcomings. ;)

How many errors can you find in all of my posts? Not many.
After the first half-dozen that I found, I stopped looking. Don't feel poorly, though. Like you said, "Everybody makes a mistake once in a while." :D

Dignified Pauper
03-24-2006, 12:30 PM
Further, with as much as RPH gamers read, there is absolutely no excuse to classify games (mainly RPG games) as a reason for bad grammar.

lovehurts
03-24-2006, 12:35 PM
None of these post are horrible. If you are such a grammar nazi though then why aren't you annoyed by these posts? Why haven't you shown the correct exact spelling of evetyhing?
You seem to keep posting here....

I thought the thought made sense atleast....

Levian
03-24-2006, 12:41 PM
as a gamer i hav exp a lot of predujizzes

*alot

Dignified Pauper
03-24-2006, 12:52 PM
I would propose that EGG should not be affiliated with accidental typos that are bound to occur. Rather, I would propose it be structured to attack those who blatantly mispell words for sheer convenience. Further, it should work to correct those grammar mistakes most often made and educate them.

*Not to mention concentration camps.*

Shaun
03-24-2006, 01:55 PM
Okay, I'm going to answer as much as I can right now. There's a lot to answer, so sorry if I couldn't reply to your comment.

Oh god.

What on Earth made you think that!? ;)

Yikes! Leeza's gone insane! :) Okay, just for our favourite member, Leeza, I will enforce a new policy for EGG. :D

We will check a member's location before we correct anything. If they happen to be from a non-English location, then fair enough. However, there is no excuse for bad spelling and/or grammar otherwise. Being in a forum, we're entitled to have our opinions. We are not violating any rules. We're just doing what's best for the English language. Like I said, we will not correct any who don't speak English as their primary language.

You're English. I'm Welsh. He was suggesting that I owned you there, but, of course, 'everyone makes mistakes', and you type 'without thinking about it'. And, also, I don't believe he was trying to make a point about his grammar, he was trying to make a point that I clearly showed you up. xD

Yeah; I think you're over the top with the obsession with grammar. So somebody doesn't have perfect English... does it really matter all that much?

Yeah, maybe you did show me up. Fair enough. But like I mentioned, it was only a typographical error, like most of my errors. To EGG, it does matter. Shorthand, and bad spelling/grammar is slowly but surely damaging the English language. We're helping. Not much, but just a little bit.

I'm affectionately called the grammar Nazi of my high school paper. Despite my intense interest in making the world a more grammatically sound place, I would never be able to support a revival of the EGG.

I am bummed out that I missed it the first time around, though.

By the way, it's a throw back to much earlier in the thread, but Jesus' is the correct possessive form of Jesus. Biblical names and other wellknown ancient historical figures with names ending in s just take the apostrophe.

I don't remember mentioning anything about Jesus' spelling. Or was that someone else? Anyway, it's a shame you can't help. You certainly seem skilled enough. I am sure there are plenty of other members with the sufficient skills who'd like to help.

Wut rly bothrs me is wen ppl dun type wel lik this.

Agreed. In fact, there's one exception to the rule of not correcting non-English speakers. If anyone writes in total shorthand, it shall be corrected. We aren't ridiculing people. We're helping them.

Too right. :) As mentioned above, however, we'll change the rules a little. Yes, I don't believe many members of EoFF are completely illiterate, but we'd focus on those who are (and speak English as their primary language).

As I am, myself, an over-30-year-old English teacher, I would like to point out that not all of us (nor even half of us) have poor grammar skills. I teach English as a second language here in South Korea, and I feel that correct grammar is the most difficult skill to master. It is not the most important aspect of language, though. Communication is. I do try to point out the serious grammar mistakes that my students make, but would never get as nit-picky as the "Grammar Nazis" that have posted in this thread. Have some sympathy for those international members of EoFF who bravely post here despite their grammatical shortcomings. ;)

How many errors can you find in all of my posts? Not many.
After the first half-dozen that I found, I stopped looking. Don't feel poorly, though. Like you said, "Everybody makes a mistake once in a while." :D

You must have a sharp eye, Despotus. I'm not saying that all teachers make grammatical errors. English teachers obviously excel at English. Many others though - in England at least - don't. I've experienced being handed a paper with numerous grammatical errors too many times. As for international members, of course I feel sympathy. Like I mentioned before, we'll go easy on 'em. I just forgot to mention this earlier.

I would propose that EGG should not be affiliated with accidental typos that are bound to occur. Rather, I would propose it be structured to attack those who blatantly mispell words for sheer convenience. Further, it should work to correct those grammar mistakes most often made and educate them.

*Not to mention concentration camps.*

Accidental typos are fine; we all make them. I just truly believe that for English speakers, there is no excuse for bad grammar. Also, yes, the main focus is to educate any who make grammar mistakes, simple or complex. Leeza and co.: we're not trying to harm anyone at EoFF. We just want to make it a better experience for everyone.

I will make some sigs for EGG soon, provided that enough people want to help out.

DK
03-24-2006, 02:25 PM
Marick makes me happy in the pants.

Tavrobel
03-24-2006, 03:20 PM

Accidental typos are fine; we all make them. I just truly believe that for English speakers, there is no excuse for bad grammar. Also, yes, the main focus is to educate any who make grammar mistakes, simple or complex. Leeza and co.: we're not trying to harm anyone at EoFF. We just want to make it a better experience for everyone.

I will make some sigs for EGG soon, provided that enough people want to help out.

I'll help with the "education" process. We also have to remember that there are several different dialects of English, so that should be a deciding factor on when to correct, w/e. Education is the important part. I suppose we should PM Shaun if we want to help, provided that the Mods/Admins will let us form the EGG.

Yummy EGG centers. Full of cholesterol and nerve gas.

Spiffing Cheese
03-24-2006, 03:50 PM
Oh, good GOD, shoot me now.

Tavrobel
03-24-2006, 03:53 PM
*bam*

All that was left was his blood on my hands.

An a r34l b4d c4se 0f pour grammur, 101.

Shaun
03-24-2006, 03:58 PM
Haha, glad you're having fun. :p Sure, feel free to help, Tavrobel. Just provided that Leeza's okay with it (she should read what I said above).

Tavrobel
03-24-2006, 04:10 PM
3ye wil sho 3v3ry1 teh awws0men3ss of g00d grammur!

goku
03-24-2006, 04:18 PM
im new to this website and i was wondering these lil :choc: some are black what does that mean? :D

Dignified Pauper
03-24-2006, 04:44 PM

I'll help with the "education" process. We also have to remember that there are several different dialects of English, so that should be a deciding factor on when to correct, w/e. Education is the important part. I suppose we should PM Shaun if we want to help, provided that the Mods/Admins will let us form the EGG.

Yummy EGG centers. Full of cholesterol and nerve gas.

We will not be using dialects, but rather, a pure form of English that is spoken among those types of people in the Great Lake states (since this is where News Reporters go to learn the pure dialect [if one can call it pure]). Further, dialects can't be taught so much as just picked up.

Tavrobel
03-24-2006, 04:58 PM
I said it should be a factor in scolding (pardon my unclear-ness), not a teaching of (which would be impossible, as you said; dialects are picked up more than taught). There is no PURE English anymore, unless we all bothered to learn ye olde English with the A that are attached to Es and have the properties of the letter W.

Reine
03-24-2006, 05:26 PM
Now this is pathetic. Sure enough, I CANT STAND when people write like "thnx" and stuff, it just makes them look a lot less intelligent, as I can imagine the actual person speaking like that. Sentences that are normal, like what I am writing, are good enough for me, in fact, it is what I expect from others.

But when people go so far as too correct normal sentences, just because some little marks are missing, that REALLY annoys, pure arrogance.

My spelling has for some reason deteriotated, which sucks, considering I can spell pretty much anything, and also, this is the internet, with typing and so on, and I make many typing errors.

I only use "netspeak" to get a point across, or in a joke.

Tavrobel
03-24-2006, 06:57 PM
I focus more on the major grammatical errors. Speeling and mitake error i5 every1 3lse cn handl. It's also bad when ALOT of people see what you type, and assume that whatever you type is correct. 1337speaking is fine, as long as it's used for sattire of newbs. But what gets me is the media makes mistakes too (which is INSANO BAD, ROFLCOPTER). I'm here to set a good example, or at least, I try to.

I refer back to my example:

Prerogative <-- correct, but sounds wierd (to native speakers...)
Perrogative <-- not correct, but no one cares because it's easier to say

Something small like that, I couldn't care less, because it's still the same meaning. I'd have to find a different example for what I would try to correct. Can't think of one off the top of my head.

crazybayman
03-24-2006, 07:23 PM
This is sad.

:cry:

Spiffing Cheese
03-24-2006, 07:26 PM
Now this is pathetic.

I completely agree. :)

Evastio
03-24-2006, 07:30 PM
Waht's su wong wit spaewing misteks?

Just joking. Very little spelling mistakes I can take. Miserably spelled sentences do annoy me a little though. Also I don't know when I should use : or ;.

Spiffing Cheese
03-24-2006, 07:31 PM

Just joking. Very little spelling mistakes I can take. Miserably spelled sentences do annoy me a little though. Also I don't know when I should use : or ;.

: introduces a statement or a list, and ; splits up a statement or a list. I think. I could well be wrong! :)

ehsteve
03-24-2006, 07:40 PM
Bad grammar seriously annoys me. I have the seventh sense. ;) I can instantly see bad grammar, and it sends a shiver down my spine. Whether it's on a billboard or a shop sign, I want to tear it down, or get a huge marker pen and put an apostrophe in there, for example.

Who's with me? I think that all teachers should have some serious improvements with their English skills in general. I mean, I'm seventeen, but I don't make the mistakes that half of these thirty-year-old (or older) teachers make. It's a growing problem, and it's only going to get worse. Whilst - to some of you - it will just seem like a small problem, to Grammar Nazis like me, it will always seem like something big! :D

What are your thoughts?

Hear, hear! I am a hardcore grammarian to the last. It has always annoyed me that people, including teachers, always seem to unwittingly split their infinitives. Wait...

Tavrobel
03-24-2006, 07:58 PM

: introduces a statement or a list, and ; splits up a statement or a list. I think. I could well be wrong! :)

Pretty much. Semicolons only split up statements (primarily clauses not connected with conjunctions). Certain lists are split up by semicolons, depending on circumstance. All you missed was a detail, nothing to scold you about.

Top left, red; top right, blue

Red refers to the top left corner, to avoid confusion, primarily.

Hear, hear! I am a hardcore grammarian to the last. It has always annoyed me that people, including teachers, always seem to unwittingly split their infinitives. Wait...

Certain infinitives can be split up, including several tenses that require that infinitives be split up. Certain times, spoken speech also sounds better with split up infinitives.

Miriel
03-24-2006, 09:03 PM
I just thought I'd let you guys know, that whatever the intentions of EGG actually are, you guys are all still coming off as asshats. Pompous ones to boot.

Although, I gotta say it's rather brave of you to keep plowing ahead despite Leeza's obvious disapproval. I know I wouldn't. :)

Tavrobel
03-24-2006, 10:43 PM
I just thought I'd let you guys know, that whatever the intentions of EGG actually are, you guys are all still coming off as asshats. Pompous ones to boot.

Although, I gotta say it's rather brave of you to keep plowing ahead despite Leeza's obvious disapproval. I know I wouldn't. :)

My intentions are not that of a pompous asshat. Can't speak for any others, but I'm here to make sure you know what you're talking about. Don't you hate it when ppl tlk liek th15 n witout periuds or punctu4ctutuation s0 tha u d0nt g3t nderst4nd whatheir sayin or someone who doesn't understand English, so we help them?

It's not fun to see someone make a mistake between its and it's. They are two different words, and have completely different meansings/usage. But if Leeza says she still doesn't like it, I'll drop the subject matter.

I'm more concerned with grammar, than with speeling mistkes. Everyone hits the wrong key sometimes. Why do you think we have pwned? It doesn't mean "perfectly owned", it's just "owned" with a mistake.

Miriel
03-24-2006, 11:19 PM
Yes, but how will you go about correcting people?

I can't see of any way that you could correct people without it coming off as rude. Are you EGG people going to up and down the forum finding threads with poor grammar in them and correct everything?

It's one thing if a CK tells someone to stop posting liek dis lolollol okeeee?? But it's a different thing when someone posts in a thread simply to inform someone, "Y-o-u-apostrophe-r-e means 'you are.' Y-o-u-r means 'YOUR'!"

Also, I don't think you're an asshat. :)

Vincent, Thunder God
03-24-2006, 11:23 PM

btw Is that a picture of Syd Barret on your sig Spiffing Cheese? Been wondering that for a while now. Also (if you don't mind me asking - that's fine if you don't want to answer this) what is the meaning of the words on your sig? I'm intrigued.

Rye
03-24-2006, 11:30 PM
The only good grammar Nazi is Strong Bad. And you all know it. I actually learned better grammar from one of his songs:

"Ohhhhh... If you want it to be possessive,
It's just "I-T-S."
But if it's supposed to be a contraction,
Then it's "I-T-apostrophe-S,"
Scalawag."

Now if EGG were to sing Strong Bad's educational CD, "Strong Bad's Rhythm 'n' Grammar" to the people who messed up, I'd be all for it, but unfortunatly, it'd be a oldbie thing. "HEY REMEMBER THAT JOKE FROM 2000 NOPE YOU DON'T SINCE WEREN'T AROUND AT THE TIME EZBOARD GRAMMAR CORRECT'D!"

lovehurts
03-24-2006, 11:43 PM
The only good grammar Nazi is Strong Bad. And you all know it. I actually learned better grammar from one of his songs:

"Ohhhhh... If you want it to be possessive,
It's just "I-T-S."
But if it's supposed to be a contraction,
Then it's "I-T-apostrophe-S,"
Scalawag."

Now if EGG were to sing Strong Bad's educational CD, "Strong Bad's Rhythm 'n' Grammar" to the people who messed up, I'd be all for it, but unfortunatly, it'd be a oldbie thing. "HEY REMEMBER THAT JOKE FROM 2000 NOPE YOU DON'T SINCE WEREN'T AROUND AT THE TIME EZBOARD GRAMMAR CORRECT'D!"

THAT'S HOT!

Tavrobel
03-25-2006, 12:38 AM

I can't see of any way that you could correct people without it coming off as rude. Are you EGG people going to up and down the forum finding threads with poor grammar in them and correct everything?

It's one thing if a CK tells someone to stop posting liek dis lolollol okeeee?? But it's a different thing when someone posts in a thread simply to inform someone, "Y-o-u-apostrophe-r-e means 'you are.' Y-o-u-r means 'YOUR'!"

I'd formally introduce myself, and use PM. I'd tell him what he did, and why it's wrong. I would give an example of how it's properly used, and what he used in a different example. I would no way attempt to insult or degrade his intellegence level. Of course, I can't say anything without seem like a jackass, but at least he learns something. I couldn't care less if I come off as a jackass, but I would try not to.

StrongBad is teh awesome. I remember that SB e-mail. My favorite is the Japanese cartoon and the Trogdor e-mail. Whoever sent those two e-mails should keep smoking whatever it is they smoke.

Miriel
03-25-2006, 12:42 AM
I'd formally introduce myself, and use PM. I'd tell him what he did, and why it's wrong. I would give an example of how it's properly used, and what he used in a different example. I would no way attempt to insult or degrade his intellegence level. Of course, I can't say anything without seem like a jackass, but at least he learns something. I couldn't care less if I come off as a jackass, but I would try not to.

StrongBad is teh awesome. I remember that SB e-mail. My favorite is the Japanese cartoon and the Trogdor e-mail. Whoever sent those two e-mails should keep smoking whatever it is they smoke.
That seems pretty pompous to me. My gammar sucks, but please don't PM me about it.

Shauna
03-25-2006, 12:46 AM
It's not fun to see someone make a mistake between its and it's. They are two different words, and have completely different meansings/usage.

Fun? Wtf?
Also, even if they do miss out the apostrophe, you can tell what they mean, by using the context they are in. Anyway, I don't think a lot of people saying 'OH LOOK YOU MISSED AN APOSTROPHE. YOU FAIL AT GRAMMAR! YAY!' is actually gonna change how people type on this forum.

This idea is just becoming pathetic, really. :p

theundeadhero
03-25-2006, 12:46 AM
I would forward any such PM as flaming, or something.

I had the Illitorate Brigade thread closed because people confuse spam and leet with the true purpose.

Tavrobel
03-25-2006, 12:49 AM
Meh. It was an alright idea while it lasted.
But I forgot the first rule of life:

Caring only leads to broken arms and legs.

Dignified Pauper
03-25-2006, 08:00 AM

Lots of SPAM of course.

Shaun
03-25-2006, 12:42 PM
I think we have had most of the bomb shells hit us already. The likes of Spiffing Cheese just try and nitpick any quotes they can scavenge and use them against us, without any concrete arguments.

We can't back down now. If you were considering being a member of EGG, and you decided it might be a bad idea, you may as well quit now. Like I've said many times, our goal is not to offend, but to educate. We have a right to our own opinion on this forum. Also, correcting words does not count as flaming.

If you don't like the sound of EGG, just simply don't post in this thread. :p We're not trying to look like pompous asshats. It's just that some people believe bad grammar is perfectly acceptable. They're trying to attack us for trying to change that. What we're doing is good. Honestly, where's the harm in educating people?

GMSR
03-25-2006, 12:45 PM
fuck teh bad grammer

Levian
03-25-2006, 12:47 PM
Oh my god. Stop making long posts. This is General Chat ffs. :(

Spiffing Cheese
03-25-2006, 12:48 PM

btw Is that a picture of Syd Barret on your sig Spiffing Cheese? Been wondering that for a while now. Also (if you don't mind me asking - that's fine if you don't want to answer this) what is the meaning of the words on your sig? I'm intrigued.

Kind of off topic, but it's Robert Smith of The Cure. xD And the words are lyrics from the song 'Pictures of You' by The Cure.