PDA

View Full Version : When/how did you start playing ff?

Morgoth_Bauglir
03-23-2006, 03:39 PM
I started to play ff with vii and it is my 2nd best ff...
It goes like this,I was like 11 years old and I paid a visit to a friend of mine (who had lived in Germany and had a bunch of games)and after playing tekken II (THAT old..)he put a game for us to see...It was Final Fantasy VII ,which I had never saw or heard of...He showed us the games in the Gold sausage (the snowboard game) and that was how I was initiated to the ff world..(of course afterwards I got my hands on it and I delved deeper into it..)

how did you get to meet the ff world?

Vyk
03-23-2006, 04:39 PM
My brother bought the first Final Fantasy for NES when I was about 8 I think. He beat it a time or two, then moved out and I inherited his NES and Final Fantasy, along with many others. But that didn't really get me into the series. I later became a die-hard Sega fan and didn't get re-introduced to the series until the Playstation era when a friend short for cash sold me his SNES (which was a dead system by then) along with many games (including the Final Fantasys 2 and 3 [otherwise known as 4 and 6]). I still remember fondly my first moments with FF6. Snow March = best opening ever

Morgoth_Bauglir
03-23-2006, 04:42 PM
Snow March = best opening ever

amen to that

FF VI is the best ff

DMKA
03-23-2006, 04:58 PM
My aunt, who I lived with at the time, bought a Playstation (this was back when they were still $175.00 for the system alone), and she would buy like, four new games for it every month. Well the month after we got it she bought Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha, Nightmare Creatures, Resident Evil 2, and Final Fantasy VII. I had never played a Final Fantasy, or an RPG period...I didn't even know what one was, but I'd seen the commercials for FFVII quite a bit. So anyway my sister was the first and only person in the house to even attempt to play it, and it looked very weird and boring to me, so I had no interest...until she got to Air Buster and couldn't win (LOL). I really loved the boss music, so I asked her to let me try, and I beat him my first try. So finally when she wasn't playing later that month I started a new game...I loved it to death. I got all the way to Demon's Gate, then I wasn't able to play anymore until I lived with my foster parents and bought the game myself like a year later.

That was in like December of 1997, I think.

Dreddz
03-23-2006, 05:49 PM
Nanny had FFVI, I used to visit only to play it. I was pretty young and didnt get too far. Soon later, My bro had gotten FFVII and thats where I really started to get into the series. So after I beat VII, I got VIII, then IX and so on....

Bart's Friend Milhouse
03-23-2006, 05:56 PM
my friend was banging on about how good it was so I just bought it. FFVIII was my first. I gave up because I couldn't defeat Elvoret and half a year later I decided to give it another try. I'm glad I did. The Black Widow chase (and Selphie's short skirt;) ) were the things that got me hooked and I've never stopped playing it since

Tavrobel
03-23-2006, 06:04 PM
2001, when FFX came out. It sounded cool, so I got a PS2 to get it and some other games (which I sold after I was done with them). Played X, KH, and then after I finished IIIj, I played X-2.

But before I actually got the PS2, I found an SNES and NES Emulator and played FFI, IIIj, and IV. (Played FFIIj and V, but never finished them).

Recently, I finished VI and IX (which I just finished this week, 30 hours). I'm currently attempting to steal my cousin's copy of VIII, and awaiting KH2 and XII.

ljkkjlcm9
03-23-2006, 06:21 PM
1991, i think, my mom bought FF for the NES, we played as a family unit, granted I was 5, but I got to hit the buttons, and my older brothers did the map/enemy info stuff, and my mom sort of helped us all

THE JACKEL

Crossblades
03-23-2006, 06:25 PM
I was in 6th Grade in 1998. I just became close friends with someone. I had Chrono Trigger at the time. He wanted to borrow it, so I told him to lend me one of his SNES games. He handed FF IV(known as FF II at the time)to me. At first I was bored with it, then his best file got deleted somehow. I told him I was keep his game for a little while longer until I get the file the way he had it before. As I kept playing the game, I was getting into it. The more I played it, the more fun I had with it. After I finished the game, I returned it to him with a file that was a little better than his. Few weeks later, went to Kmart and I saw a used copy of FF VI(known as FF III at the time)It was cheap too. I thought to myself "Hey look. another FF game. Maybe it will be as good as the other one." So I bought it. I went home to play it and I was very pleased it. From that point on, I started to keep track of every FF game that was released and bought it. In other words, FF IV and VI got me into FFs and those two games will always be my top 2 favorites because of it.

Leucant
03-23-2006, 07:51 PM
My first experience with FF was when i was 4. The SNES was new at the time i beleive and we had some good games like Zelda:A Link To The Past, and Final Fantasy II(or IV really). I saw my dad playing Zelda and one night when i was up and he was gone on business i switched the system on to play Zelda. Somehow the cartridges got switched and i was playing FFIV. I was only 4 so i didn't know how to change games so i just went with it. Took me forever to beat Mist dragon cause i couldn't read all the text yet so i kept on attacking the whole time. I played FFVI back when it was known as FF3(has a moogle with a purple background on the cartridge right???) but i didn't get into it. I know i'd love it now but i can't find a copy. I guess you could say I got lucky to fall in love with FF. If that was Zelda in the SNES(Even though i love Zelda too and own them all) then i could be on some Legend of Zelda forum right now.

Morgoth_Bauglir
03-23-2006, 09:10 PM
. (and Selphie's short skirt;) )

:love: :tongue:
amen to that

Carmilla
03-23-2006, 09:42 PM
This is like the 10th time ive seen this type of thread... :p

I was about 11 or 12 and some kid was reading the Final Fantasy manual during lunch time. I thought the pictures of the swords and armor looked cool so i had my mom buy the game for Nintendo.

And now its almost 15 years later and im awaiting Final Fantasy 12. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yuffie514
03-24-2006, 03:51 AM
i think it was 1997 (but the PlayStation and Final Fantasy VII) had already come out. my cousins, brother and i were still playing Zelda: A Link To The Past. then we heard of this really cool game and one of my brother's friend let him borrow it. while halfway thru disk 1, my brother decided to get us our own copy and voila - here comes a whole new chapter of my life. this question pops up a lot but i reveal a little more when i make a new post.

Death Penalty
03-24-2006, 04:10 AM
I played FF6 cuz it was in the 5$ bin at Target.

Ramza Beoulve
03-24-2006, 04:29 AM
1996, In a bet that my brother and I did. My brother told me "If you can play and defeat FFVI and SMBRPG before you finish 1st grade, I sware I'll give you a PlayStation without arguing about it".

Now, I have a PS and a PS2, guess who won? :D

Dell
03-24-2006, 04:50 AM
when I'm 12, two years ago, my friend give me FFVII to played then I found it to be fun. So I borrowed FFIX from my friends, my friend FFVIII wa corrupted so I can't play it. This year I bought PS2 and currently playing FFX and FFX-2..........waiting for FFXII.

~SapphireStar~
03-24-2006, 11:29 AM
Seen FFVIII in my grandmas local computer game shop and I bought it. Summer of 1999, played it the whole summer I was in Ireland.

Almighty God of Paper
03-24-2006, 08:23 PM
Well, my older sister played FFI for the NES when it first came out, and I would always watch her. I remember thinking that Black Belt looked like a girl. Anyway, I liked that game, and I loved the music. A few years later, when Mystic Quest came out, my sister would always rent that, and when she wasn't there, I would always play it. Eventually I beat the damned thing, making that the first RPG I beat. Yay. Many, many years later, when my sister would come home from college, she would play FFIX, and I was fascinated by that game, so I bought it, and I loved it. Anyway, I kind of forgot about Final Fantasy for a while... I knew a bit about FFVII from a Legend of Zelda mesage board that I frequently visited, but I never considered playing it. When FFX came out, I was amazed by the revolution in graphics, so I bought it and gave it a try. I didn't like it very much, so I dropped it for a while and moved on to FFVII. After beating that and FFX, I decided to beat every FF game ever made. I'm still working on that goal, but I'm almost finished with it.

Kid X
03-25-2006, 10:28 AM
My parents got me ff9 for christmas 01.
I didn't like the look of it and came thisclose to selling it to a second-hand shop for £3. Thankfully i didn't and last year played it for the first time. I loved it and since then i've bought 7+8 (for 50p each)
Im gonna get another one soon either 10 or 12.

Shooting Star
03-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Wasn't they a thread like this already? Anyway...
It was my friends b-day and she got a PS1 with lots of games. She had FF8 & 9 and she said it was really wierd. A bit later on i asked if she would lend me one and she gave me FF9. Since then i've been hooked on it. i still haven't gave her it back! lol

YTDN
03-25-2006, 04:11 PM
Umm... i saw an ad for X-2 in the teen girls mag Mizz( in England) and I decided to buy it. Me and my sister played it, thought it rocked, and one of my sis's mates had X so we borrowed it, then we borrowed VIII from her, found VII for £10 preowned at GAME, ordered IX off amazon, and just recently bought VI and VIII for Christmas. And I think before getting VII we bought I & II DoS for our GBA.

Chaos Dark
03-25-2006, 09:32 PM
Ahh.I started when my friends asked me to behold them play Final Fantasy X which led to my addiction.:choc2:

Little Blue
03-25-2006, 10:45 PM
My parents bought IX for my birthday about 5 or 6 years ago I think. I thought, "What the hell is this," thinking it was like some crappy game that one of my friends had, so I never played it and left it to gather dust in a drawer. Then, near christmas that year, I was bored, and looking through this drawer to see what games I had, and just to see what it was like, I tried it. Sufficed to say, I loved it and regret not seeing the light sooner. Showed it to another friend, he thought it was cool too, and he went and got VIII and VII (which I then bought off him three years later :p).

Rengori
03-25-2006, 11:13 PM
4th grade, overheard some kids on the playground fighting each other pretending to be FF characters, I inquired what the hell they were doing, and that's how I was introduced to FF.

mooglebunni608
03-26-2006, 12:49 AM
my brother got ffVII when i was 7 or 8... I used to watch him play lots...
after a while i started to play my self....

Venom
03-26-2006, 01:02 AM
I started playing FF when I bought FF7 at the age of about 9 or 10.

Ashley Schovitz
03-26-2006, 01:35 AM
I was 18 and I discovered IX when this guy who was selling bootleg stuff in the back of his car for cheap prices. He offered me a deal of 6 games for $30 so I took it and FFIX was one of them. I played it and it slowly amazed me, i played nothing like it and once X came out i decided to try that and the ff addiction started.

Evastio
03-26-2006, 03:32 AM
I first started with FF2 SNES. That was my first SNES game along with Super Mario World. (one of my favourite games. I'm still playng it as of now) I remember playing it and finding the concept of selecting your actions in battle on a menu fun for some reason. I also couldn't find out why Kain could jump on SwordRats without sustaining damage.

Rase
03-26-2006, 09:05 AM
My dad bought Final Fantasy IV for the SNES back when I was five. I don't think there was really a reason behind the purchase, except that we had a shiny new SNES and only one game for it at the time. Whatever the reason, it was the game the introduced and got me hooked on RPG's.

Jiro
03-27-2006, 10:47 AM
My sister showed me at her new flat when i was 4 or 5 (i don't remember whether it was 6 or 7). After that i found a copy of 7, played it to death (several times) then found cheap copy of 8 and so on. My sister still tells me she never owned a FF in her life o.O ( maybe i'm crazy)

Shiny
03-29-2006, 01:42 AM
I was walking around the toy store (It was the 90's or so) and I saw some FF games then studied them until I decided that I would purchase some FF games. I have this odd radar for games that I would like. Even if I've never played them before.

silentenigma
03-29-2006, 02:13 AM
I got to the point in my life where Crash Bandicoot games just weren't doing it for me anymore and decided to get some serious games for a change. I had heard about the FF series before (on the box of my old Playstation box and maybe from a friend) and the name sorta stood out more than other titles. since at the time I thought that the games went in sequential order, I went up looking to see if Final Fantasy I was on the Playstation, because that was the only system I had. Luckily, Final Fantasy Origins had been released not too long before and I got one for myself.

Zeromus_X
03-29-2006, 04:08 AM
When I was seven or so, I discovered all of my uncle's RPGs for the SNES. I started by playing FFVI (as 'III'), and FFIV (as 'II'), and went on to other SNES RPGs like Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, Seiken Densetsu II, etc. When I developed the patience to fight battles, instead of running from every battle because it was "too hard" :p, I played the original Final Fantasy on my NES. In fact, it's the only NES game I play. I don't know if it's possible to remove it from the NES anymore...:eep:

I went on to play PS1 and 2 RPGs, and the later FFs of course. I even influenced my friends to enjoy the classics. (Go me!)

And of course, using money on PS1 remakes of the games :p :cat:

Avathar
03-29-2006, 11:42 AM
-The year 2001. 15 years old. Just bought a Playstation.-

First thing i did was borrowing (not buying:p ) FFIX from my cousin. And so on it continued.........:choc2: :choc2: :choc2:

Twilight Edge
03-29-2006, 12:40 PM
I first saww my cousin play X on his PS2.Then,I came across a cheap copy of IX in a local game store November two years ago,and since that I don't have a PS2,I bought it.Then,I also bought VIII.It took me a while to get VII though,because it was very old.FF was the first RPG I ever played,and ever will be.Planning on buying a PS3.

The Void
04-09-2006, 04:03 PM
This is how it kind of went with me and Final Fantasy

Saw it
Liked it
Wanted it
Bought it
Played it
Loved it

:love: :love: :love:

Ballistix Man
04-09-2006, 04:25 PM
I killed a man as he was walking out of Gamestop with a copy of FF7.
True Story.

Yuna-Lenne
04-16-2006, 10:39 AM
I got introduced to Final Fantasy about a year ago. I was looking for a good game to try out and asked a friend of a friend, who's basically the only person I know around here who likes games, and they recommended Final Fantasy! :cool:

DudeSon2004
04-16-2006, 06:15 PM
It all began 26th December 1997.
I got Final Fantasy VII for Xmas & played it the next day.
I had no idea what to do, then I learned how to play it.
My fasciation with Final Fantasy still grows.

zbonks
04-16-2006, 06:24 PM
My mom bought me ff8 when i was like 10 or 11 and i was like ff "8"? that means there is about 7 more but then i found out there was way more than 7 more and now it has been my goal to try to play them all! :)

Alex151
04-17-2006, 05:03 PM
My dad used to burn games for the old playstation and he burnt Final Fantasy 8 for someone and had me test it out and I was hooked instantly.

InuYashaON
04-26-2006, 04:37 AM
I bought FFVII since I wanted to find out what it was about, because the commercials that had aired for it were a bit vague for me.

Cid Vicious
04-26-2006, 02:57 PM
I bought FFIX from a second-hand store about September last year.

FFIX is the only one i've completed. I've just started playing FFVII and have VIII waiting to play once i've done that.