PDA

View Full Version : Friend is having some PSU issues.

Shoeberto
03-24-2006, 02:20 AM
Figured I'd check here for help

Here's a problem. I got a slight funny smell from my case tonight. I checked the voltage on my power supply and the +5V line is running at 4.81 in idle. The 5VSB is running at 4.80 to 4.82. Under stress, those numbers drop to 4.63 and 4.68. Not good, and I just bought this thing a couple of months ago. Should I cash in on the warranty or just ignore it?

Samuraid
03-24-2006, 08:33 PM
My brother had a power supply that did the same. In his case, the 3.3V and 5V rails were a bit low. As a result, his computer would often hang, especially if the video card started drawing a lot of extra power (using the external molex connection).
After replacing the power supply, his computer hasn't hung since.

If your friend is having strange computer problems, or forsees using hardware with high power requirements, I would suggest returning the power supply and getting something more stable if possible.

Yamaneko
03-24-2006, 09:07 PM
You have to check the amperage too. If it's too low you'll get stability issues. Last summer I went from BSOD on a 18A PSU, to a stable 30A with another PSU I purchased off newegg. I've only crashed a few times since.

Shoeberto
03-24-2006, 09:50 PM
Aight, his manufacturer guarantees like ~30% power range stability or something, so I'll just tell him to return it. It's under warranty anyway.