PDA

View Full Version : I was just wondering...

Vincent, Thunder God
03-25-2006, 04:53 AM
I wrote lol for a PM recently, and for some reason when I sent it (checked afterwards) instead of lol it said "I cried aloud in mirth and merriment." And yes, I am sure I did not write that, and secondly no, I do not use this apparent "new fad" often, if at all. So any ideas why this happened?

I'm sure it wasn't human error.

TheAbominatrix
03-25-2006, 04:56 AM
It's a filter here on the forums. It changes instances of lol (I believe only when followed by a period) to 'i cried aloud with mirth and merriment'. That's why you see it everywhere, it isnt a fad, it's just people being filtered. Same with the swear filter.

Vincent, Thunder God
03-25-2006, 06:36 PM
It's a filter here on the forums. It changes instances of lol (I believe only when followed by a period) to 'i cried aloud with mirth and merriment'. That's why you see it everywhere, it isnt a fad, it's just people being filtered. Same with the swear filter.

Oh, its the period. I just said lol and then put a period, it was the context. And I meant fad as in that a lot of people say that now without the shortcut thing.

(Sorry for double posting, I had to. I know how to edit, but I thought you guys might miss it if I put it above). Instead of starting a new thread, I just wrote another question here.

Are registered members allowed to "bump" threads?

Samuraid
03-25-2006, 09:47 PM
(Sorry for double posting, I had to. I know how to edit, but I thought you guys might miss it if I put it above.
You can always post a second time, then copy the contents of the first post to the second, and delete the first post. That way you have one post, and it's marked as new.

Vincent, Thunder God
03-25-2006, 11:00 PM
(Sorry for double posting, I had to. I know how to edit, but I thought you guys might miss it if I put it above.
You can always post a second time, then copy the contents of the first post to the second, and delete the first post. That way you have one post, and it's marked as new.

Good idea, thanks. The other forum I was on had no deleting...

How about "bumping" ? Can people post a bump on this site?

crono_logical
03-25-2006, 11:33 PM
Why would you want to bump? Either you're being impatient because you're bumping it too soon, or the thread's died/no one is able to add anything useful to it or respond to your post :p

Hawkeye
03-25-2006, 11:42 PM
How about "bumping" ? Can people post a bump on this site? Post something people are gonna wanna read. Bump is lame and will probably just result the thread getting closed. I would say 'no'.

Vincent, Thunder God
03-26-2006, 12:08 AM
Why would you want to bump? Either you're being impatient because you're bumping it too soon, or the thread's died/no one is able to add anything useful to it or respond to your post :p

I was just wondering guys...wasn't really planning to bump. I'd seen it done on other sites and was wondering.

Leeza
03-26-2006, 12:11 AM
Yes, bumping just for the sake of bumping up a thread (especially one of your own) will more than likely just get it closed. If you have some worthwhile to add then it's not </i>bumping</i>. It's just <i>posting</i>.

starseeker
03-26-2006, 11:40 AM
Plus threads linger for a long time so it isn't necessary to keep the thread at the top of the list by constant bumping.

Vincent, Thunder God
03-27-2006, 10:59 PM
Ok, I've got another question. Can people post in older threads that are past the first page (that is, newest to oldest), without getting poeple to say "Don't ressurect old threads?"

Leeza
03-27-2006, 11:58 PM
We can't judge this sort of thing on pages becasue everyone has their pages set differently as it is an option. Mine are set to 100 per page so in some fora, yes, anything past the first page is definitely too old. But I do not judge a thread by which page it is on.

Vincent, Thunder God
03-28-2006, 12:50 AM
We can't judge this sort of thing on pages becasue everyone has their pages set differently as it is an option. Mine are set to 100 per page so in some fora, yes, anything past the first page is definitely too old. But I do not judge a thread by which page it is on.

Ok, let me try to put it another way. Would a thread past 50 other threads be too old?

rubah
03-28-2006, 01:15 AM
It depends on the date.

If it makes us go 'wtp that was like a million years ago' it's too old.

Really though, the best judge is if it gets closed or not. Intuition baby!

Vincent, Thunder God
03-28-2006, 02:08 AM
It depends on the date.

If it makes us go 'wtp that was like a million years ago' it's too old.

Really though, the best judge is if it gets closed or not. Intuition baby!

I have intuition. I can psi-blast too, and levitate!

Joking. But I do have intuition, it's great, so I should be fine. :)