PDA

View Full Version : Monty Python: A trivial thread

Despotus
03-25-2006, 06:08 AM
The rules are simple. All trivia questions, and answers, should come from Python movies. So as not to be tooo difficult, please don't post questions about the members of the troop themselves (i.e. What's Eric Idle's middle name?), or questions from other Terry G. movies (i.e. In which century did Baron Munchausen live?), no questions from Monty Python's Flying Circus episodes, either. M'kay, so, whoever gets the question right posts the next question. The person who posts an answer can either wait for confirmation from the person who posted the question, wait for a resounding "oh, yes, that's right. very good. wasn't that good?" from the other participants in the thread, or (if you're really sure of your answer) just post his, or her, new question. Now in the event of a virtual tie...

*shouts* Just get on with it! *shouts*

Right.

1st question. And it's about one of my favorite characters in The Holy Grail. *points to sigs* He's a lovely character, with a real keen mind for political discussion. However, many people just don't seem to listen to him, or they mistake him for a woman, which is just another way of keeping down the masses, if you ask me...

*shouts* Get on with it! *shouts*

Right.

What's the first name of the Anarcho-syndicalist that King Arthur meets on his quest for knights to join camelot?

The Captain
03-25-2006, 06:20 AM
Why Dennis of course. Not "old woman" or "Man" though.

What is the name of Launcelot's companion who takes a message in the chest?

Take care all.

Despotus
03-25-2006, 06:25 AM
Concorde. :) Or brave, brave, Concorde, who shall not have (almost) died in vain.

Name at least 3 snacks you could buy at the Forum in Life of Brian

The Captain
03-25-2006, 07:47 AM
Larks' tongues, Wrens' livers, Chaffinch brains, Jaguars' earlobes, Wolf nipple chips are what I can recall.

Hopefully, I'm recalling correctly.

Name at least 3 of the weapons used by... the Spanish Inquisition!

Take care all.

Despotus
03-25-2006, 08:20 AM
How about a bag of otters' noses? :D

Dang, that was the one I was going to post next! :D In honor of Spanish Inquisition Day! Funny coincidence. Anywho, the answer is fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.:p Not to mention the soft pillows and comfy chair...

What's Biggs' punishment for laughing in Prof. Humphrey's class in the Meaning of Life?

mooglebunni608
03-25-2006, 04:23 PM
um.... he had to play rugby? (or however it's spelled....)

Despotus
03-25-2006, 09:40 PM
Rugby against the 'Masters'. That's right! You're up mooglegirl.;)

mooglebunni608
03-25-2006, 09:42 PM
ok..... hmmm......
I don't have a good one. I pass.......

Despotus
03-25-2006, 09:48 PM
Awww.. that's no fun! Just put down an easy one, eh. Like: 'What was Brian's last name? (Life of Brian, in case ya didino.) :p

The Captain
03-26-2006, 07:37 AM
Brian Cohen I believe.

What is the correct pronunciation of the name "Raymond Luxury Yacht"?

Take care all.

Despotus
03-29-2006, 02:27 AM
It's something like Throatwobbler Mangrove, or Throatwarbler Mangrove... isn't that it? It's in a Flying Circus episode I don't own, so I don't recall exactly.

Doesn't anybody else love Monty Python?!!?!

W.t.F. Here's another question:

Back and forth, back and forth between the Captain and I. This looks like the tennis match between which "extraterrestrial desserts".

Jebus
03-29-2006, 03:02 AM
The blancmanges, or however it's spelled?

I know what you mean, I just can't spell it.

The Captain
03-29-2006, 03:16 AM
Indeed!

You're up then Jebus. Give us a question.

Take care all.

Jebus
03-29-2006, 03:19 AM
I can't think of any better ones, so here's this one to buy me more time for the next one.

What aptly named service can people call on if their cat happens to be in a rut?

Azure Chrysanthemum
03-29-2006, 03:21 AM
Man I really need to brush up on my Python. I wish I had noticed this thread while you were still on the Holy Grail questions.

The Captain
03-29-2006, 03:22 AM
Get the most recent question right and you can ask a Holy Grail one good sir.

Take care all.

Azure Chrysanthemum
03-29-2006, 03:24 AM
Problem is I knew the Grail ones. I don't know this one >_<

The Captain
03-29-2006, 03:29 AM
They can call on 'Confuse-A-Cat Limited'.

BtV, take my turn and ask away!

Take care all.

Elite Lord Sigma
03-29-2006, 03:30 AM
Problem is I knew the Grail ones. I don't know this one >_<

I have the same problem, I'm only good with Holy Grail and Life of Brian.

Despotus
03-29-2006, 03:33 AM
Confuse-a-cat, Ltd.

This one's for B.t.V.:

Which "# scene" in the 'Grail is described as "a smashing scene, with some lovely acting, in which arthur discovers a vital clue, and in which there aren't any swallows, although I think you can hear a starling..." Ouch!

Ohhh that was fast, Captain!

Azure Chrysanthemum
03-29-2006, 04:16 AM
I want to say scene 42. Grar! I'm ashamed at my own lack of word-for-word memorization of the movie.

Despotus
03-29-2006, 04:37 AM
Dyslexia can be a bigger problem than amnesia. :D

Azure Chrysanthemum
03-29-2006, 04:49 AM
24 then!

Despotus
03-29-2006, 04:53 AM
!.V.t.B ,tsop ot nrut ruoY ;)

Azure Chrysanthemum
03-29-2006, 05:37 AM
What is the name of the opening sequence of Meaning of Life and what are "they" on?

Despotus
03-29-2006, 05:53 AM
:confused: The first part is called "the Miracle of Birth", but by 'what are they on' do you mean y'know the birth is available on Beta, VHS, or Super 8?:confused:

oh, god, wait... I almost forgot about the fish guys talking about what lifes all about. I don't know the name of that scene... so I'll just call it the Introduction... poor Howard.

Azure Chrysanthemum
03-29-2006, 05:57 AM
You're forgetting a sketch even earlier than that. It's the very first sketch in the entire movie.

Despotus
03-29-2006, 06:05 AM
The Crimson Permanent Assurance company? eerrrrm...that's a different film...:rolleyes2

Still don't know if I understand the 'what are they on' part of your question. They're on a sort of mission of piracy to raid large, wealthy conglomerates...

Azure Chrysanthemum
03-29-2006, 06:08 AM
Ah, but it is connected to the "Meaning of Life" and tied into a final sketch. The "what are they on" refers to something they say, that they're "On the ___________"

It's a bit of a pun.

Despotus
03-29-2006, 06:18 AM
Ah, but it is connected to the "Meaning of Life" and tied into a final sketch. The "what are they on" refers to something they say, that they're "On the ___________"

It's a bit of a pun.
Aaaaaah, okie dokie.... They're sailing on the wide accountancy!! :tongue:

Which 5 of Arthur's knights are killed by the 'Killer Rabbit'? (Trick ?)

Azure Chrysanthemum
03-29-2006, 06:29 AM
Boris, Gawain, and Hector I believe it is. That's five (three sir!) three knights.

Raven Nox
03-29-2006, 06:31 AM
Now I know I need to rewatch Monty Python soon. I can remember parts of the knights names, but not fully. xD Nor would I know how to spell them. *goes and searches for all her Monty Python DVDs* About time I watched it again anyway.

EDIT: I know BTV is correct, I can hear that part of the movie in my head now. xD

Despotus
03-29-2006, 06:36 AM
Boris, Gawain, and Hector I believe it is. That's five (three sir!) three knights.
Bors, but close enough! :D Your turn again 'Void!

Azure Chrysanthemum
03-29-2006, 06:52 AM
OK, let's think for a moment.

Complete this phrase!

And suddenly, the animator ________ _ _____ _____ ______. ___ _______ ______ ___ __ ____.

Despotus
03-29-2006, 07:44 AM
And suddenly the animator suffered a fatal heart attack. The cartoon peril was no more.

What was the name of the other revolutionary group that fought the People's Front of Judea in Pilate's palace during the raid to kidnap Pilate's wife?

Jebus
03-29-2006, 02:51 PM
Was that the Judean People's Front? I haven't seen Life of Brian in forever. *ashamed*

Azure Chrysanthemum
03-29-2006, 02:56 PM
I don't think it was the Judean People's Front, when they were arguing Brian said to focus on the real enemy and both groups yelled "THE JUDEAN PEOPLE'S FRONT!"

I can't remember the other group though.

Despotus
03-29-2006, 06:44 PM
Not the Judean People's Front. Wankers. Nor is it the Popular People's Front.

HINT: Cam----- f-- Fr-- Ga-----

Avathar
03-29-2006, 06:47 PM
People's Front of Judea: The rebels in Jeruzalem.
Popular People's Front: One sad old man:D
Judean People's Front: Manic rebels in Jeruzalem, mostly consisting out of suicide squads:D :p

EDIT: The guys in the sewers: Campaign for Free Galilea^^

Despotus
03-29-2006, 07:20 PM
The guys in the sewers: Campaign for Free Galilea^^
Your turn Avathar!

Avathar
03-29-2006, 07:25 PM
^_^i'm gonna go for an easy one:

What's the conclusion for deciding if a woman is a witch or not?

Despotus
03-29-2006, 07:44 PM
"What do you do with witches?"
"Burn them!" "Burn 'em up!"
"And what do you burn apart from witches"
"More witches!" "Wood!"
"So, why do witches burn?"
"Because they're made of wood?"
"Goood. Now, how do you tell whether she is made of wood."
"Build a bridge out of her?"
"Ahh, but can you not also build bridges out of stone?"
"Oh, yeah."
"Does wood sink in water?"
"No, no, it floats." "Throw her into the pond!"
"No. Now what else floats in water"
"Bread?" "Apples?" "Cider?" "Gra- gravy?" "Small rocks?" "Churches?" "Lead?"
"A duck."
"Exactly. So, logically..."
"If she weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood."
"And, therefore..."
"A witch!"

Totally bullet-proof logic if you ask me. :roll:

Question: What question does the old man from scene 24 (the keeper of the bridge of death) ask to Sir Robin that gets Robin cast into the Gorge of Eternal Peril?

Jebus
03-29-2006, 08:24 PM
What is the capital of Assyria?

Also, are we just sticking to movie questions, or can I ask more from the series?

Despotus
03-29-2006, 08:33 PM
What is the capital of Assyria?

Also, are we just sticking to movie questions, or can I ask more from the series?
Correct answer Jebus! And, as per the rules stated in the first post on the thread, of course you can ask questions from the Flying Circus. :cool:

DynasticJam
03-29-2006, 08:35 PM
WOW! I did not realise this thread existed! Ive seen all the episodes and all the movies! I love Monty Python! I wanna play!

Jebus
03-29-2006, 08:36 PM
Sweet.

What kind of flower did Dennis Moore steal from the rich to bring to the poor?

Despotus
03-30-2006, 07:54 AM
*tries to sound like Eric Idle*
"Do you mean the flower, lupines?":confused:

Question:
How did Arthur Jarrett die?

DynasticJam
03-30-2006, 03:19 PM
Oh bother! I could have answered that one! Yes it is lupins...

Jebus
03-30-2006, 05:07 PM
Wasn't it a request from some family on that show hosted by Mozart?

Despotus
03-30-2006, 05:16 PM
Nossir. But I'll give you a small hint. If I were going to die, I'd die like Arthur did. Well, maybe that's a big hint. :D

Jebus
03-30-2006, 05:28 PM
Oh, right. He was chased off a cliff by a bunch of topless women on rollerskates.

Despotus
03-30-2006, 06:39 PM
Oh, right. He was chased off a cliff by a bunch of topless women on rollerskates.
They were running, but wore helmets and pads so... close enough! I pass the gauntlet to you, Jebus.:D

Jebus
03-31-2006, 01:32 AM
I can't think of anything else, so I'll just ask this:

Whizzo brand butter contains 10% more what?

Despotus
03-31-2006, 04:26 AM
10% more...or less. I can't tell the difference between Whizzo and a dead crab!:D

I've been doing too many of these so I'll put up a very easy one, in the hopes that somewhere out there there must be someone who...*prepares to sing*
CUT that out, cut that out!

What's the name of the princess that prince Herbert of Swamp Castle was supposed to marry for her huuuuuge tracts of land?

The Captain
03-31-2006, 07:10 AM
Why, Princess Lucky, who survived a kick in the chest which will cost Prince Herbert's father a fortune.

Here's a fun one:

Coventry City last won the FA Cup in what year?

Take care all.

DynasticJam
03-31-2006, 07:35 AM
That's a trick question, Coventry City have never won the FA Cup! :D

Now it's my turn. I'll start off with something quite easy as its my first go... Okay...

Who wrote the funniest joke in the world?

Despotus
04-01-2006, 12:13 AM
Ernest Scribbler... also the deadliest joke in the world!

Another one: Who was the winner of Upper-Class-Twit-of-the-Year?

DynasticJam
04-01-2006, 12:17 AM
I would answer this one, but its probably unfair as I answerd the previous.

Despotus
04-01-2006, 12:45 AM
Dude, not unfair at all. I've answered something like 10 of them (so far). If you know it, show it! I never put that stipulation in the rules. ;)

Jebus
04-01-2006, 01:42 AM
Yeah, I know this, but I've already answered a ton of them, so I'll just let it go for awhile.

DynasticJam
04-01-2006, 01:48 AM
Right the answer is...Gervaise Brook-Hampster

Despotus
04-01-2006, 01:59 AM
You know you got it, Tommy. Post the next question. And, honestly guys, there are only about 5 of us even answering on this thread. So, if we all piss off and wait for someone else to come and post, the thread will just sit (Eric) idle and sink into oblivion. Be greedy selfish pigs, like me. :D

DynasticJam
04-01-2006, 02:48 AM
Okay, right, next question. A bit tougher this time... Name the three members of the spanish inquisition!

The Captain
04-01-2006, 06:04 AM
Cardinals Ximinez, Fang, and Biggles!

What was St. John Limbo an expert of?

Take care all.

Avathar
04-01-2006, 01:48 PM
:DST. JOHN LIMBO - POETRY EXPERT:D

How many times did the Swamp Castle sank into the swamp?^_^

DynasticJam
04-01-2006, 07:27 PM
3 times?

Avathar
04-01-2006, 08:25 PM
:D Indeed (the third time it even first fell over, THAN sank into the swamp:p )

What's the name of the castle in Cornwall, which sir Bedevere believes its name is St. Aaaaaaaaarrrrggghh's? ^_^

Despotus
04-01-2006, 09:43 PM
Indeed, it's St. Ives. But Avathar, since Tommy guessed the answer to your last riddle, it is his turn to post the next one. Never post two questions in a row!!!! The person who answers your question correctly has the priveledge of posting the next question! Go Tommy!

DynasticJam
04-01-2006, 09:54 PM
Very well...Erm... Im afrad Im no good with questions, so bare with me. Erm... Okay how many different cheeses does John Cleese name in the cheese shop sketch? That'll give you a bit of a challange hopefully.

Despotus
04-03-2006, 04:26 PM
Very well...Erm... Im afrad Im no good with questions, so bare with me. Erm... Okay how many different cheeses does John Cleese name in the cheese shop sketch? That'll give you a bit of a challange hopefully.
A bit of a challenge? Yikes! But, thank you anyway for making me watch that skit 3 times! I counted 43 different cheeses, but I will wait for confirmation.

EDIT: Eh, Tommy? Anybody else know for sure?

EDIT2: Ah, smurf it. If I'm wrong, I'll pass it back over to you. I don't want the thread to get all moldy.

What are some of the "signs" of the Apocalypse according to the three "prophets" you see on stage in the Life of Brian? List at least 4 of them!!

Despotus
04-07-2006, 04:43 AM
I notice there are a lot of Monty Python fans on this forum, but few of them seem to be able to answer questions from the t.v. series, so let's change the rules a bit. From now on only questions from the Python movies, okay? Hopefully, that'll let more people participate. I'll edit the first post on the thread to reflect the change, too.

The current riddle as stated above, asks you to name at least 4 signs of the apocolyptic prophecies that the 3 bizarre prophets in Life of Brian were going on about before Brian fell onto one of them. Hell, I'll even give you one of them to start off:
1. The whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent...

3 more plz...:D