PDA

View Full Version : I'm perfect so I rock lol!

Zell's Fists of Fury
03-25-2006, 10:21 PM
I don't get it.

Why do people think that they're SO MUCH BETTER than everyone else because of the fact that they've never had a drink, or smoke pot, etc etc? For some odd reason, everytime a beer thread or a pot thread or a "omg im dunk rofl" thread pops up, theres about fifteen posts with "I've never had a drink ^__^" and yeah,t hey don't come out and say it, but you know. You can tell. There's that hint of "You're an idiot, you drunkard! I've never had a drink so I'm better than you!" in that stupid little smilie.

My brother has this same mentality. When I asked him why, his only retort was "It's stupid!" Well how the hell do you know if you've never tried it? Yes, you do stupid things, but hey, that's fine. As long as you're responisble beforehand, have yourself a driver, etc, things'll be fine.

Pleanty of people drink. Almost just as many people smoke pot. There's nothing wrong with it, as long as it doesn't become habit forming etc. In many ways marijuana is better than alcohol, but that's my opinion.

The point is, you're not better than anyone. Nobody is going to give you a pat on the back for not drinking or smoking. You are nothing special. So stop acting that way. It bugs me. The end.

Trumpet Thief
03-25-2006, 10:24 PM
Funny, I've actually seen more people who smoke pot/drink/etc. act that way. Either way, whoever does that isn't perfect at all. Everybody's human in the end. :)

Chris
03-25-2006, 10:24 PM
Everybody have faults. If you're not drinking or smoking, you're doing something else that's unhealthy.

Trumpet Thief
03-25-2006, 10:26 PM
*No Schizophrenia in Serious

Everybody have faults. If you're not drinking or smoking, you're doing something else that's unhealthy.

Exactly. In fact, drinking Soda is absolutely horrible for your health, as are a lot of different things, but people pick. out drinking and smoking. I'm not saying I'm a fan of any of that stuff, but hey, if somebody wants to do that, it's their life, and it doesn't make them any worse or better than the rest of us.

Shoeberto
03-25-2006, 10:27 PM
I'm not gonna get down on people who do stuff like that (unless it becomes really bad) but I personally just don't see a need for drugs or alcohol in my own life.

Rye
03-25-2006, 10:28 PM
I'm not gonna get down on people who do stuff like that (unless it becomes really bad) but I personally just don't see a need for drugs or alcohol in my own life.

Yeah, kinda my mentality with it.

Zell's Fists of Fury
03-25-2006, 10:29 PM
And that's fine. It just bugs me when people put themselves on a pedistal because of it and let everybody they know about it.

Despotus
03-25-2006, 10:30 PM
All so true. Let's all try and be less judgemental in the future. It's really impossible to form an opinion about someone's bad (and good) habits unless you really know them well, and in person. I do alot of "bad" things, but I'm one of the most responsible and respectable people you'll never meet. :cool:

Miriel
03-25-2006, 10:30 PM
Why do people who get drunk and do drugs think that they're so cool? You see posts like, "oh yeah like Im totally drunk right now :cool:" and it bugs me. Uh, ok, you're drunk and you're posting about it online. Good for you?

And I agree that marijuana is better than alcohol.

Jess
03-25-2006, 10:56 PM
I've never thought I'm better than somebody just because they do something I don't - I think everybody has the right to choose what they do. I may not agree with some things but I won't think I'm better just because I don't do it.

Personally I dont think that marijuana is better than alcohol. It's better for your body, yes. But I just don't like the effects compared to alcohol. Having done both, that is just my personal opinion. :bigsmile:

Levian
03-25-2006, 11:06 PM
I drink, but I'm still better than you, Spiff. :cool:

Zell's Fists of Fury
03-25-2006, 11:07 PM
I drink, but I'm still better than you, Spiff. :cool:
You wish. :goomba:

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-25-2006, 11:09 PM
Same here

What bugs me is people that do smoke pot or cigarettes and/or drink and they constantly bug me to try it, even after saying no. I do not mind friends doing that because they do not push the issue, but every once and a while you get someone who does.

Raistlin
03-25-2006, 11:15 PM
I don't have anything against drinking/drug using. I'll have a drink occasionally. I just don't see a point.

And I think more people consider themselves better for having been drunk/done drugs than people who consider themselves better for not having done it. Though I AM at college, where the former attitude is rather prevalent.

Jess
03-25-2006, 11:16 PM
Back in 1972 drugs and alcohol didn't exist!

:grinpink:

Giga Guess
03-25-2006, 11:38 PM
I heard a quote once.

"Those with no vices tend to have some pretty annoying virtues."

TheAbominatrix
03-25-2006, 11:40 PM
Why do people who get drunk and do drugs think that they're so cool? You see posts like, "oh yeah like Im totally drunk right now :cool:" and it bugs me. Uh, ok, you're drunk and you're posting about it online. Good for you?

And I agree that marijuana is better than alcohol.

Yeah, that's how I feel... and yes, I am one of those people who drink and experiment with mind altering substances.

It annoys me when people brag about anything, really. Drinking doesnt make you cool, not drinking doesnt make you cool. Other stuff makes you cool. Like giving me money.

SoulTaker*
03-25-2006, 11:43 PM
Never trust a person who claims to be perfect.

Ki Ki
03-26-2006, 01:29 AM
I don't think I deserve a pat on the back for never drinking or smoking.
But I also don't think that you deserve a pat on the back for being drunk. :greenie:

Meat Puppet
03-26-2006, 01:38 AM
Spiff for Cid's Knight!

Yamaneko
03-26-2006, 02:47 AM
It's not a <b>big d</b>eal.

escobert
03-26-2006, 03:17 AM
And that's fine. It just bugs me when people put themselves on a pedistal because of it and let everybody they know about it.
Weren't you the one bitching about how people smoke cigs and when they quit everyone is happy and you were all like "I don't smoke! congratulate me ftw!" ;) <3

Oh and I really don't give a fuck about other people so if they don't want my drinking and smoking then they can just stay away from me :p

Vincent, Thunder God
03-26-2006, 03:18 AM
I'll admit it. I don't drink/smoke anything/do other drugs.

And I think I'm pretty cool!

(This statement is to make a point that I see all drugs as...not wrong, they're fine, I just don't like them. And I think anyone who doesn't do more than some drinking sometimes as fine. But if you smoke pot or do heavy drugs...well, just not my kind of lifestyle. But I'll still like you in general... )

FallenAngel411
03-26-2006, 03:41 AM
I ocassionally enjoy being drunk. I'm still just as lame as the Bianca who hated alcohol a year ago.

DK
03-26-2006, 03:43 AM
Other stuff makes you cool. Like giving me money.

I never paid you in money, though. 0:}

Vincent, Thunder God
03-26-2006, 03:52 AM
I ocassionally enjoy being drunk. I'm still just as lame as the Bianca who hated alcohol a year ago.

No big deal, everyone is in some sense a hypocrit. I know I am sometimes.:)

But I still hate drugs, and no, in this case I will not be a hypocrit. :cool:

escobert
03-26-2006, 04:02 AM
I prefer smoking some la over drinking a beer anyday. My familys alcoholics so I try to not drink much. I usually only drink maybe 3 times a month if that. Now smking some herb on the otherhand Is a daily routine for me ;)

Mr. Graves
03-26-2006, 04:58 AM
People will find something about themselves to legitimately put themselves on a pedestal. If they don't, they'll make one up. Even though, in the end, as Trumpet Theif so eloquently put it, <i>everybody's human in the end</i>. That applies to the futility of it all as well as the reason people do it in the first place. We have a need to feel special, even though everyone's on the same imperfect boat of who we are.

As for the whole drugs thing, drugs are a'okay if they're handled properly, much like gambling. If I see people not handling it properly, then it's their business and usually has nothing to do with me.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-26-2006, 05:02 AM
It shouldn't bother you if you know they're full of crap.

Markus. D
03-26-2006, 05:03 AM
its there choice, its our choice.

XxSephirothxX
03-26-2006, 05:07 AM
I don't see any problem at all with social drinking, and even though I don't drink, it annoys me to see people condemn alcohol completely. If handled responsibly, it's nothing to worry about. Some drugs are different, though--drinking a glass of wine is certainly not going to kill your or really have that much of an impact on your body, but injecting/snorting something into your body is a different story. Some drugs are pretty harmful, but pot isn't one of those, so I don't have a problem with it. People who are prudish enough to act superior just because they don't drink are just annoying, really. Not much more to it than that.

Reles
03-26-2006, 05:15 AM
These people that say they're better than you because they don't drink or do drugs, well, most likely some day in their lifetime they're going to drink. I don't drink, but I know that someday I probably will. And it's just silly to say that anyone's better than anyone else. I mean I can understand them saying, "dude, your excessive drinking isn't cool..." The only reason why they'd put anyone down for that is because they feel sorry for themselves and have a low self-esteem, that or they're insanely rude. So it really shouldn't bother you, you're no worse of a person because of what they say.

Zell's Fists of Fury
03-26-2006, 11:48 AM
Weren't you the one bitching about how people smoke cigs and when they quit everyone is happy and you were all like "I don't smoke! congratulate me ftw!" ;) <3

Well, I was trying to make a point. I think it's dumb that people congratulate others when they QUIT smoking, when a bunch of other people never started. This was after a girl at my work quit smoking and some of my other co-workers bought her a cake. Where the hell is my cake I never even started :aimmad:.

And what the hell is ftw

Levian
03-26-2006, 01:05 PM
There's probably a logical explanation as to why you didn't get a cake.

Alcohol ftw.

Psychotic
03-26-2006, 01:39 PM
I'm better than you regardless of whether I smoke or drink or kill puppies.

amratis
03-26-2006, 02:08 PM
I suppose it can be annoying if someone was acting superior because they don't drink or use drugs. But if ppl did come across like that online it doesn't bother me much. It'd bother me if someone was like that IRL, you know? To my face. That would be annoying.
I drink socially but I hate smoking, have done pot once and hated it, never touched it since. I've also never taken any other kind of drug in my life, but practically everyone I know has/does, and I'd never think that that somehow makes me better then them. My brother smokes pot quite alot, does that make me think he's an idiot? No, it just makes me think 'well, its his life, his choice'.

Strider
03-26-2006, 06:36 PM
It's really just a sense of self-righteousness in some people, I think. I've never drank or smoked myself, but everyone else I've known where I've lived usually does one or the other and I respect it. In turn, they all respect that I don't.

Spiffing Cheese
03-26-2006, 06:50 PM
I don't know why anybody preaches at another person for doing drugs or drinking. It does them no good and it isn't like the other person is going to listen. Drinking and taking drugs often isn't as bad as it's made out to be, so let it go - stop going on about it. So you're someone who has never done drugs or drank - you're not a perfect being. Get over yourself.

I have no problem with drinking, unless it's the kind of drinking where you get so hammered that you can't function. What is the point of that? It gets you no pleasure to be so out of it, so why do it? As for me, I drink rarely. I'm fifteen, so y'know. I think I've been properly drunk once, and I know I'm likely to drink more as I'm older, but I honestly don't think I'll be over the top or an alcoholic. I like to think I have more control than that; but who knows, really?

As for drugs, I dunno. I've never tried anything and I never will. But I'm going to preach to people about it; it's their choice, and if they want to do it, let them.

escobert
03-26-2006, 07:57 PM

Well, I was trying to make a point. I think it's dumb that people congratulate others when they QUIT smoking, when a bunch of other people never started. This was after a girl at my work quit smoking and some of my other co-workers bought her a cake. Where the hell is my cake I never even started :aimmad:.

And what the hell is ftw

for the win ;)

cloud_doll
03-26-2006, 08:10 PM

And what the hell is ftw

for the win ;)

seriously? I always thought it was F*** the world

I hate it when people smoke and then go around bragging about it or come to school high and show off. its stupid. I have smoked before but in the comfort of my friends bedroom where we could be stupid together. (im not saying we're stupid cuz we smoked were stupid cuz thats the way you act, duh) and yes it does bug me when ill tell a friend about when im high then some nosey prep comes up and says that I'm a moron and they're clean and blah blah blah.

Captain Maxx Power
03-26-2006, 08:25 PM
The point is, you're not better than anyone. Nobody is going to give you a pat on the back for not drinking or smoking. You are nothing special. So stop acting that way. It bugs me. The end.

Let me let you in on something : Sobriety sucks ass. Big time. I'm constantly belittled by those around me, my sexuality brought into question, and my integrity as a fully-grown adult berated and questioned on a daily basis. In this country in particular (England) drinking is a big part of social culture. If you don't drink there's not an awful lot you do do. I didn't strictly choose to be like this, though I do have a very long list of reasons why I personally don't drink. In the past I may have had a go at people occasionally, but over the years I've learned to just deal with these people and let them have their fun, even if I don't personally agree with it.

If you feel like people are always having a go at you for drinking/taking drugs, spare a thought for why their doing it. Yes, some are self-righteous assholes who want nothing more than to force their opinion on you. For those you can give them the finger and be on your merry way. But there are a few people who will address these things with a serious concern for their friend(s), and those people you need to give leway to, even if you don't like this attention. Case in point my many Christian friends. I hang around with them, I go to their church, I listen to their advice (Christians may disagree with my personal opinions on some points, but they do have a lot of good ideas), but I'm not a believer of Christ or God. Often I'll be accosted with questions from my friends as to why I don't convert. But I certainly don't go off on some wild tagent about "You think you're better than me? You are nothing special. So stop acting that way. It bugs me. The End". Then you become the self-righteous jerk also. Just on the other side of the fence.

I guess my point is that you're more than entitled to your opinion, but so is everyone else. Telling everyone to stop mentioning that they don't like alcohol is as bad as them telling you to stop using it. Think carefully before you say things such as this. Chances are you've probably upset someone with this. Take a deep breath, put yourself in their shoes, re-evaluate and deal with accordingly.

Zell's Fists of Fury
03-26-2006, 09:00 PM
Oh shush now. You're making out like I insulted somebody's baby. And missed the point entirely. Your religion analogy has nothing to do with anything. If you friend ask you why you don't convert, you say "nah, here's why", and that's that. If they come up to you and hint at "Athiests are stupid and are wasting thier lives ^____^" every time you even think at the possibility of the consideration of the topic of God, THAT'S what I'm talking about. It's the self-righteous assholes I don't like.

I don't care WHY you don't drink. And I don't care if you tell me you don't drink in the right context. But if I'm discussing drinking or whatever and somebody comes up with "I don't drink cause it's dumb ^____^", that's what I don't like.

Also: If I've upset someone, it's probably the people I'm talking about and in that case, I'd consider this thread a success.

Captain Maxx Power
03-26-2006, 09:10 PM
Oh shush now. You're making out like I insulted somebody's baby. And missed the point entirely. Your religion analogy has nothing to do with anything. If you friend ask you why you don't convert, you say "nah, here's why", and that's that. If they come up to you and hint at "Athiests are stupid and are wasting thier lives ^____^" every time you even think at the possibility of the consideration of the topic of God, THAT'S what I'm talking about. It's the self-righteous assholes I don't like.

I don't care WHY you don't drink. And I don't care if you tell me you don't drink in the right context. But if I'm discussing drinking or whatever and somebody comes up with "I don't drink cause it's dumb ^____^", that's what I don't like.

And if you don't care then that's fine. But in all seriousness the attitude you have is pretty rotten. Yes, I can understand you're upset. Yes, I can understand you want people to stop doing it. But really being abusive in this way isn't the mature way of going about things. Like I said, I experience this a lot, but getting ratty about it doesn't change anything. I'm not disagreeing with your dislike of these people, I'm disagreeing with your attitude toward the subject.

Zell's Fists of Fury
03-26-2006, 09:12 PM
You obviously don't know me at all.

Case in point: Lighten up. That's who I am. Different personalities for different people. You like to hold people's hand and ask them nicely, I'd rather be blunt and to the point.

Miriel
03-27-2006, 10:12 AM
Dude, why do you even care? If someone thinks that drinking is dumb, that should be fine as long as they're not trying to impose that idea on you. "I don't drink cause it's dumb ^_^" is different from "You shouldn't drink cause it's dumb ^_^"

Who cares if someone on the internet thinks that they're better than you? I wouldn't think that you would give a damn.

Shaun
03-27-2006, 10:22 AM
Too many people whine about giving up smoking though. If they started smoking in the first place, it's their own goddamn fault, and they shouldn't expect help in quitting. They should suffer for it. People with genuine forms of cancer should be treated instead.

As for alcohol, I don't agree with it. But if people do it, it's their life - not mine.

nik0tine
03-27-2006, 03:50 PM
Give me one reason not to get pissed and act like a moron?

Spiffing Cheese
03-27-2006, 04:59 PM
Too many people whine about giving up smoking though. If they started smoking in the first place, it's their own goddamn fault, and they shouldn't expect help in quitting. They should suffer for it. People with genuine forms of cancer should be treated instead.

So you think that if people have the poor judgement, or the simple stupidity, to start smoking and then decide to better themselves and quit, they should recieve no help whatsoever? That they should be left to die if they get cancer? Well, you're a compassionate soul, I see.

That's a pretty stupid thing to say, really. Sure, people who've never smoked should be treated first - that I agree with. But if smokers who develop smoking-related diseases are not treated, a lot of people are going to die. :)

Shaun
03-27-2006, 05:17 PM
It's not really stupid. If someone gulped down poison, it's a similar thing. If you decide to smoke, you decide to kill yourself (despite the fact it wouldn't seem like that at first, people know the risks). So, you suggest that we put the fools who damage their body in front of those who are genuinely in danger?

Wow, you majorly hate me! You argue back to everything I say! :D

EDIT: Oh wait, I just saw that you said that smokers shouldn't be put in front. Oops. :p But they often are put in front, and that's what annoys me.

fire_of_avalon
03-27-2006, 05:47 PM
You obviously don't know me at all.

Case in point: Lighten up. That's who I am. Different personalities for different people. You like to hold people's hand and ask them nicely, I'd rather be blunt and to the point.
It just seems to me this same argument can be used against you. They say it's dumb because that's who they are and want to be blunt and to the point.

And I agree with Kishi.

Vincent, Thunder God
03-27-2006, 10:57 PM
I don't see any problem at all with social drinking, and even though I don't drink, it annoys me to see people condemn alcohol completely. If handled responsibly, it's nothing to worry about. Some drugs are different, though--drinking a glass of wine is certainly not going to kill your or really have that much of an impact on your body, but injecting/snorting something into your body is a different story. Some drugs are pretty harmful, but pot isn't one of those, so I don't have a problem with it. People who are prudish enough to act superior just because they don't drink are just annoying, really. Not much more to it than that.

In case anyone was wondering...I don't condemn alchohol. :) I just don't drink, never will. See my previous posts for further info on this.

Sephex
03-27-2006, 11:19 PM
I don't really do any of the stuff listed int he original post, but I don't look down on others if they do. The only problem I have is when people abuse substances, and let them control their lives.

Vyk
03-27-2006, 11:31 PM
I'll admit I used to think less of people that get drunk. But I dont really think it's my fault. I can't help how I precieve people. And my brother gave alcoholism as a whole a really bad rep. to me. For the longest time I had a huge vendetta against any alcohol. I abhored it. And anyone that partook of it had to be some immature irrespectable something or other. I got over that part. I won't think less of people. But that doesn't mean I approve of their idea of fun. I can't have that kinda fun. I wouldn't if I could though. But alcohol just isn't for me. I hate the taste. I get sick before even getting a buzz. Even if it's only like 3%. I had a daiquiri where I could taste it. Took me forever to sip that crap down. Can't stand it. And even if I did like the taste. I just hate what it's done to some people's lives. I think people are idiots for indulging it. But to each their own. I'm more against smoking. People trying to give me lung cancer...