PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy Growth and Advancement systems. Which do you like best?

feioncastor
03-26-2006, 03:39 PM
Final Fantasy 1's system was very plain for growth and advancement. You just fought, got exp, and gained levels and recieved a predetermined increase in stats. Spells must be bought from shops in cities.

Final Fantasy 2 brought in the leveling of individual stats. The strategies you used in battle reflected the areas in which your characters would grow after each fight.

Final Fantasy 3? I don't know what their advancement system was like because I haven't played it. I believe there were job classes, but I don't know for sure.

Then we see 4. Simple leveling again, only throw in the predetermined levels on which you learn spells.

Ah, yes, good old Final Fantasy 5. Simple leveling system, but this time, with some fancy job classes, and I am fairly certain that whatever job you are when you level up affects which stats increase at level up. But I could mistaken there...

And then, glorious Final Fantasy VI. A simple, basic exp leveling system, but with the help of Espers to increase certain stats more than others at level up.

Final Fantasy VII was just a basic exp leveling system. The Materia system did not affect the stat increase at level, if I remember correctly.

Final Fantasy VIII featured the junction system. People tell me that it was excellent and fun to work with. I just don't see it, but yeah, there it is.

And someone will have to fill on 9 for me. I only played it once, and I don't remember what the advancement system was like.

Final Fantasy X.... Sphere Grid... *shudder* Probably my least favorite. Seriously, I'd take straight exp leveling over this thing any day.

And I haven't played 11 yet, so I don't know how it works. Anyone care to explain that one?

So which do you like best? Which system was the most fun to use? Keep in mind that I'm not asking which game is your favorite, but only based on the advancement and leveling system. For example, Final Fantasy VI is my favorite FF numbered series game, but I like the idea of individual stats featured in FF2. It allows you to more precisely construct your party over the course of the game. Plus, it had the weapon proficiency stats which helped solidify each character's place in battle.

Tavrobel
03-26-2006, 04:14 PM
To be completely concise...
FFI: Fight and get exp. Stats based on class. All items and spells are purchased. No AP.
FFIIj: Fight to increase stats. Most items and spells purchased, except pre-determined characters. No AP.
FFIIIj: Fight and get exp. Most items and spells are purchased. Stats based on job class system. AP used for job-change. Invisible AP for job mastery, based on battles fought, survived, and class. Everyone KNOWS this is the best.
FFIV: Fight and get exp. Pre-determined levels for stats and spells.
FFV: Fight and get exp. Stats based on job class system. AP used for Job mastery.
FFVI: Fight and get exp. Magic pre-determined for levels with Terra and Celes. All other magic learned by Esper. AP used for Esper/Magic learnage.
FFVII: Fight and get exp. Magic usage based on Materia, all stats are static per level except HP growth. AP used for Materia.
FFVIII: Fight and get exp. Junction/Draw system for magic.
FFIX: Fight and get exp. Stats are static over all levels. AP used for support and other magic abilities.
FFX: Fight and get AP. Stats are static until Sphere level 45/extra spheres. Magic based on level, non-static. No EXP.
FFXI: I assume... fight and get exp. AP used for learning stuff.

Little Blue
03-26-2006, 04:45 PM
IX, you fight, gain EXP for levelling and AP for learning abilities (both attack and support abilities), which you then equip using magic stones, whose number depends on your level.

That and X are probably my favourite advancing system. I couldn't stand Junctioning. Materia, Dress spheres, and IV's system are about as good as each other, but I don't really care about them enough to say I like or hate any of them.

Tavrobel
03-26-2006, 04:51 PM
Ok, people please read this before saying anything about FFIX's system. Based on order of post...

And someone will have to fill on 9 for me. I only played it once, and I don't remember what the advancement system was like.

FFIX: Fight and get exp. Stats are static over all levels. AP used for support and other magic abilities.

IX, you fight, gain EXP for levelling and AP for learning abilities (both attack and support abilities), which you then equip using magic stones, whose number depends on your level.

Mirage
03-26-2006, 04:52 PM
FFXI: Fight and get exp.

Little Blue
03-26-2006, 05:02 PM
Ok, people please read this before saying anything about FFIX's system. Based on order of post...

In all fairness, I did include the magic stones, which I noticed you had not, and whic I feel are relevant to the advancement system...

tailz
03-26-2006, 05:02 PM
i like the sphere grid best

Tavrobel
03-26-2006, 05:08 PM

In all fairness, I did include the magic stones, which I noticed you had not, and whic I feel are relevant to the advancement system...

It's to prevent other people from posting about FFIX. But yes, it was fair that you posted it... I'll give you that.

I didn't include magic stones, because they are a gimmick; just a reason to set a limit on AP usage (like in KH). If I wanted to include the stones, I would've included alot of other stuff too, especially ALOt more detail about FFVI's espers.

There's no need to get into the hardcore aspects of naming things correctly, because it would just confuse people who hadn't played the game. There's no need to rub it in that if you haven't played FFIX, then you need to shoot yourself in the foot.

Azure Chrysanthemum
03-26-2006, 06:39 PM
My favorite is the Tactics system, which rewards experience and job points (equivalent of AP) for successful actions.

silentenigma
03-27-2006, 01:04 AM
Final Fantasy V's is the best in my oppinion. unlike FFIIIj, you actually gain new definite abilities with the AP.

DJZen
03-27-2006, 02:12 AM
FFXI: I assume... fight and get exp. AP used for learning stuff.

No. Fight and get EXP, use weapons, shields and magic to get weapon, shield and magic experience which result in learning new abilities and becoming better at using magic and blocking. Spells are bought just like in FFI, III and V.

Shotgunnova
03-27-2006, 02:58 AM
FFIX and FFT are my favorites, although I think the former's may be slightly better as far as ability-learning goes, just because it cultivates the hunt for newer items and can't be spammed to a high degree. Finding rare and useful items is one of the high points of the game, actually.

Ramza Beoulve
03-27-2006, 03:11 AM
FFVIII and FFT systems.

feioncastor
03-27-2006, 03:59 PM
FFIX and FFT are my favorites, although I think the former's may be slightly better as far as ability-learning goes, just because it cultivates the hunt for newer items and can't be spammed to a high degree. Finding rare and useful items is one of the high points of the game, actually.
So, is the game any different from Everquest, or did Square-Enix just copy the junk out of EQ?

rubah
03-27-2006, 07:30 PM
I love the ones I get a direct hand in.

Which means I love ff2, ff5, ff8, and ff10's.

I don't like the ones where you learn stuff as it comes to you. Which is a good reason I don't like ff4 8)

ff6 got better when you got the espers, as that allayed some of it. Basic levelling in ff7 and ffx-2 doesn't entirely appeal to me. But of course there was the dresspheres (why I have put them separate from job classes is beyond me at the moment) which were fun.

I hate learning stuff from equipment. screw you ff9 and TA.

starseeker
03-27-2006, 09:13 PM
I liked VI and X because you could get everyone to permanently know all the spells (transferring materia and junctions was annoying).

Avathar
03-29-2006, 05:45 PM
The Sphere-Grid system in FFX is one of the best things Square came up to use in a FF game.

Rengori
03-29-2006, 08:07 PM
I loved IV's for simplicity.

Markus. D
03-30-2006, 08:38 AM
I like FFX-2's growth and advancement system, pick a job for all your party mates, then choose what skill you want to first master, master it then choose the next one, slowly expanding out till its all mastered.

alternitively FFX, I love the customization.