PDA

View Full Version : Guild Wars: Factions.

Markus. D
03-27-2006, 12:00 AM
Where does Guild Wars Factions take place?

Guild Wars Factions takes place in Cantha, an Asian-inspired three-nation continent far to the south of the lands of Tyria, the setting for the original Guild Wars campaign.
How do I get to Cantha?

Players who own both Factions and Guild Wars can travel by boat between the two continents through Lion's Arch or Kaineng Center.
What are alliances and how do they work in Guild Wars Factions?

Guilds can join together to form guild alliances. Allied guilds share Alliance chat and can visit each other’s guild halls. Alliances can also gain control of towns and outposts in Cantha by participating in Alliance Battles, which give them the ability to trigger events and gain access to exclusive areas.
What is a faction? Should I join one?

Alliances belong to one of two warring factions, the Kurzick or the Luxon, and being a member of an alliance allows participation in alliance battles. Victory in an alliance battle earns faction points, and members can spend their points individually or they can add them to the alliance bank, which will enable the alliance to acquire control of towns and outposts. The outcome of these battles influences the progress of the war between the two factions. The current battle lines, and indications of the control of cities and towns, are always visible on the world map. Guild membership in Guild Wars Factions is extremely appealing and interesting for both cooperative and PvP players. By joining an alliance and achieving success with Alliance Battles, your guild gains control of high-level towns. With that control, guild members acquire access to elite cooperative content. In Factions, the strongest guilds most likely will not be made up exclusively of PvP or cooperative players. The strongest guilds will be a combination of both types of players, and such a combination will result in benefits for all members.
What are the game types within Guild Wars Factions?

Here are the new game types:
Challenge Missions
Cooperative missions involve specific scoring objectives, such as holding out against progressive waves of enemies. You will see personal bests and high scores displayed within the game.

Elite Missions
The most powerful alliances have access to new areas that are designed to be the ultimate cooperative challenge.

Competitive Missions
Multiple teams compete to control resource points and achieve strategic victory. Victors earn faction points for their alliance which will determine the control of towns and outposts.

Alliance Battles
Alliance Battles are large-scale, strategic PvP battles that allow factions to conquer new territory.

Will I be able to take my existing characters in the new areas of the world? Do they keep their items, their levels, etc?

If you purchase Factions, you will be able to travel to the new land, Cantha, with your Ascended characters from Guild Wars (original Prophecies campaign). Inventory items, skills, and other possessions and attainments from Guild Wars remain yours and remain useable within Guild Wars Factions.
What is the new PvP area?

The majority of PvP encounters take place on a new continent: Battle Isles. All players from Guild Wars and Guild Wars Factions will engage in combat on the Battle Isles, although two lower-level PvP areas—the Ascalon Arena and the Shiverpeak Arena—will remain in Tyria and will be accessible on that continent rather than on Battle Isles.
If I do not purchase Guild Wars Factions, will I be able to create Assassins or Ritualists either as primary or secondary professions?

No. Assassins and Ritualists are exclusive to Guild Wars Factions and will not be accessible to players who have purchased only the original Guild Wars campaign.
Will I be able to team up with Assassin and Ritualist players if I don't buy Factions?

While you will not be able to create an Assassin or Ritualist unless you purchase Guild Wars Factions, you will, of course, be able to interact with those who own Guild Wars Factions when you join cooperative ventures or competitive matches.
Will my core profession characters be able to equip Assassin or Ritualist items?

A Guild Wars character is able to equip any non-customized item. However, because the character lacks the associated Attribute, the character's use of such items will not be particularly adept.
Can I trade my Factions items to those who do not own Factions?

Yes, you may trade items. However, such items cannot be equipped if they are customized items or if they are pieces of armor, which are always customized to an individual character.
Will there be additional character slots on my existing account, if I purchase Guild Wars Factions?

A Factions account offers 4 slots that provide access to the Cantha only, just as Guild Wars (the original Prophecies campaign) offered 4 slots for access to Tyria. If you choose to link your Prophecies and Factions accounts, you will have a total of 6 character slots, and all characters will be able to access to all areas of the map.
How do I link my Guild Wars and Guild Wars Factions accounts?

When you purchase Guild Wars Factions, you will receive an access key. Simply open the Guild Wars log-in screen and follow the prompts to add the Factions access key to your Guild Wars Prophecies account. Then you will have access to all Prophecies and Factions content.
Will the character level ceiling of 20 be raised with Factions?

No, the maximum character level will remain at 20 for Factions. The level cap of 20 is a fundamental balance mechanism for the Guild Wars series, which offers games that revolve around player skill. The leveling system allows you to track your progress as you start a character. But by Level 20, your character is fully trained and is ready to experience the most exciting content in the game.
What kind of new content will I find in Guild Wars Factions?

A total of 300 new skills, including 90 new elite skills, for the two new Factions professions and the six core professions from Guild Wars

More than 50 new locales, including story missions, combat arenas, and explorable areas

More than 100 new creatures

New guild halls

New faces, hair styles, and armor sets for both Factions and the core professions

New pets

Hundreds of new weapons and items

I have tried the preview event, I had loads of fun with my Ritualist/Monk.

and I have seen the opening cinematic in perfect view (official site) and I was blown away!

this game will be awesome.

Shoeberto
03-27-2006, 12:09 AM
Yeah, I played some in the preview event with an Assassin/Ritualist and was blown away. The Faction system seems like it's going to rock - I played in one of those big PVP things they had and it was a ton of fun. The overall environment looks more fun, too. Kinda wish I'd waited a year for this to come out instead of getting GW when it first came out. Cantha seems like a much neater place than Tyria.

In all likeliness, I'll end up getting it, but not until after a price drop or something. It's really not in my budget to be plopping down $50 right now, regardless of how worth good it might be.

Markus. D
03-27-2006, 12:25 AM
Hsu, dont forget to watch the Opening Cinematic <3

NM
03-27-2006, 10:31 AM
I had a go with the assasin, and didn't think they where particularly good. But i'll still be getting the game. The game world does look alot more interesting that the first game. I especially liked the Chrono Cross esque, frozen sea area.

Markus. D
03-27-2006, 02:55 PM
The most appealing thing to me about this game is the Classic Asia inspired enviroment.

and free for all PvP will be a blessing (also officially stated to be added in).

so far my favorite Main Characters are Mhenlo (I think he will just be known as Mhenlo this time and not Brother Mhenlo), and Nika (or Nikita) the ever quick assassin from the intro... seeing as that was set around.... 300 or so years ago, I am wondering how she is in this time and state unchanched, thats another reason why I want to buy it.

Vyk
03-27-2006, 11:43 PM
I got bored of GW. I doubt I'll get the expansion. I don't like the game's set-up. A dungeon crawler without the leet loot. All you do is run around and whack stuff. And you don't get any redeemable rewards from it. It takes forever to collect enough crap to MAKE decent armor (enemies are supposed to drop this crap in these kinds of games >.< Its 3D Diablo for cryin' out loud). Not to mention you always get varied parts. And wind up with one of a ton of different things and run out of inventory space before you can make anything. Not liking the shared gold and experience either. Nor the henchmen being stuck at a certain level and then suddenly jumping 3 levels. They need to grow gradually, so they don't get owned by later enemies in a zone. Its all just wrong. So yeah. This series isn't for me, I think

Markus. D
03-27-2006, 11:57 PM
perhaps itd be wise to do the outside quests and get a smack of the story.

I honestly didnt find anything diabloey about it at all.... considering you can die on this one.

but well :(...

Vyk
03-28-2006, 12:07 AM
It controls like a 3D Diablo. You run around and whack things aimlessly as you travel. Except you don't get much for whacking things. Especially if you're in a group x_x; Which I don't like. Games like this should make it really easy to pimp out your character. But you have to pay for everything. And splitting the gold with a party doesn't help it build up fast enough. But that's just to balance it out, because there's not really anything to pimp out your character with anyway. I've advanced the plot a little. But the vast majority of quests are the same. Delivering messages and herding people around. The whole time you're whacking stuff and not getting anything out of it ;_; 'Cept when you complete a quest you get a weapon or spell. Which honestly isn't as helpful as it could be. Sorry for focusing on its faults though. Its not a bad game. Just not my cup of tea :D And it doesn't like this is the kinda stuff they want to work on in Factions :/

Markus. D
03-28-2006, 12:18 AM
:)

okay.

I have never been one to farm, im in it for the adventure, maybe thats still a reason im a fan of it -_-...