PDA

View Full Version : The Lion King

DMKA
03-27-2006, 05:52 AM
I have so many memories with this film. I remember seeing it in the theater when I was like seven or eight years old. I remember getting it on video from my grandma. I remember it being the single movie I watched more often than any of the others we had...even to this day I've seen it more than any other movie. I watched it again today for the first time in about four years, due to my recent discovery that it will be a world in Kingdom Hearts II, and it was just as amazing as I remember. It even made me shed a few tears without feeling like a pansy, because it's just that great. The music, the animation, the script, the voice acting...all just seamlessly flawless. I say it's one of the best, if not the best animated film ever made, hell, one of the best films ever made period, and certainly the Disney's finest film.

So what are your thoughts on the cinematic animated excellence that is, The Lion King?

~SapphireStar~
03-27-2006, 11:15 AM
I loved it, just one of those Disney movies I can quote nonstop and sing along to everytime I see it. The next 2 movies were aload of rubbish and shouldnt have been made. Lion Kings OST is one of the best Disney have created, specially with Elton John's "Can You Feel the Love Tonight", such a sexy and romantic song.

I also thought the voice acting was perfect and the cast was chosen well, Jeremy Irons as Scar is so cool and James Earl Jones as King Mufasa was amazing. Such a great animated classic for children and adults.

Rye
03-27-2006, 11:26 AM
The Lion King rocks, but it's not my favourite Disney movie. :)

The Captain
03-27-2006, 11:28 AM
I didn't even know they made two sequels to the Lion King. Tis a waste since the first and original really said everything that needed to be said. It really was one of the best Disney movies, a throw-back to the more adventurous, more colorful, more imaginative films that so rarely get made in the more recent times, especially in the US.

Take care all.

The Devourer Of Worlds
03-27-2006, 11:32 AM
Definitely one of the better Disney movies. Scar is definitely one of the best Disney antagonists.

While on the subject, was all of that talk of the movie being a social commentary ever confirmed by the creators?

EDIT: Oh and yes, the sequel is truely terrible.

The Captain
03-27-2006, 11:36 AM
I'm not quite sure I'm aware of the social commentary in discussion. Perhaps you could elaborate?

Take care all.

The Devourer Of Worlds
03-27-2006, 11:50 AM
Something to do with Africa during WWII. Can't really remember much more than that though, it's been 4 years since I've thought of it...

Leucant
03-27-2006, 12:14 PM
The Lion King was just an awesome compilation of animation. It's a shame it came out when i was younger because i really didn't fully appreciate the film as much as i do now looking back on it. Jeremy Irons is the ultimate villian as Scar and ne one who played in Die Hard With A Vengance is a bad ass (aka Simon). I got lucky the other day looking through some of my empty game cases for my Tiger Woods game and i found the Lion King DVD my ex left at my house...:p

Epiphany
03-27-2006, 12:16 PM
The Lion King is my favourite Disney movie, ever. I've probably seen it in excess of 200 times and it never gets boring.
I actually liked the sequels, even though they weren't really needed, they were still cute and above all, entertaining. Atleast, to me they were.
The games spawned from the movie were excellent as well, even if they were damned hard to beat. Stupid stampede level. >:\

Chris
03-27-2006, 01:11 PM
I loved it up until I saw the second movie (which pretty much screwed everything up for me). I still love the first movie, but not nearly as much as I did before I watched Simba's Pride.

~SapphireStar~
03-27-2006, 01:56 PM
The games spawned from the movie were excellent as well, even if they were damned hard to beat. Stupid stampede level. >:\
Totally! I had it for the Sega Master System and it took me 3 days to complete it, I was only 9 or so at the time and I did a lap of honour round my room when I completed it! Memories :D

FallenAngel411
03-27-2006, 04:39 PM
I loved it up until I saw the second movie (which pretty much screwed everything up for me). I still love the first movie, but not nearly as much as I did before I watched Simba's Pride.

I just treat it like the Matrix trilogy--the sequels never happened. ;)

Though I do adore Timon and Pumbaa's spinoff show. They're such an odd couple. Nothing can top the original, of course. :3

Kirobaito
03-27-2006, 07:40 PM
The Lion King is the best Disney movie ever, and it's not even close.

Dreddz
03-27-2006, 07:42 PM
First and only time Ive cried in a film was during the Lion King, oh you lot know what scene im talking about.....

Necronopticous
03-27-2006, 07:46 PM
I remember seeing The Lion King for the first time in theatres against my will, I wanted to see some R rated movie that was playing and I went in with this snotty attitude. Within 20 minutes I think I was completely engrossed and probably crying. Definately one of the best experiences I have ever had in a Disney film. Unfortunately I don't get the same strong emotional feelings when I watch it now, which is true for just about every Disney movie. It's really a shame, but I certainly respect the Lion King to a great degree.

Miriel
03-27-2006, 08:00 PM
I saw Lion King over 9 times in the theater when it first came out. :greenie:

Sephex
03-27-2006, 11:35 PM
Good movie. I watched it all the time back in the day.

http://www.geocities.com/crapity2001/vadfasa.txt

Tavrobel
03-27-2006, 11:47 PM
Really? I still watch it. It's a godly movie, made before when Disney actually cared what people thought.

Darth Vader on Mufasa's head is awesome.

Sephex
03-27-2006, 11:57 PM
Really? I still watch it. It's a godly movie, made before when Disney actually cared what people thought.

Darth Vader on Mufasa's head is awesome.

I just have way too much time on my hands. But thank you.

Winter Nights
03-28-2006, 12:13 AM
Meh.. It's decent, but I didn't really care for it. Quite overrated, in my opinion.

Shoden
03-28-2006, 12:27 AM
Timon and Puumba rocked the whole movie, without them it'd be ghey.

Del Murder
03-28-2006, 05:09 AM
Thus making it the best animated film of all time.

Ouch!
03-28-2006, 05:23 AM
The Lion King is definitely my favorite Disney movie.

Just wait until Lionx finds out about this thread. >_>

The Devourer Of Worlds
03-28-2006, 05:28 AM
Thus making it the best animated film of all time.
O rly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akira_%28film%29)

Del Murder
03-28-2006, 06:10 AM
I don't like foreign films.

Slade
03-28-2006, 09:56 AM
I absolutely loved and love the Lion King. The sequel was also very awsome. Everything from the characters to the music was just breath-taking :)

goku
03-28-2006, 10:12 AM
the lion king was kool :D but i got a question whos stronger simba or mustafa (his father) i think simba would kill him

Shauna
03-28-2006, 11:32 AM
I love this film, like Beauty and the Beast, it's up there topping my favourite Disney films.
I never cried at this film. I was a tough little girl when I was young, I refused to cry over films. :cool: But yeah, this film rocked. :D

Spiffing Cheese
03-28-2006, 11:56 AM
Best Disney film ever, without a doubt. :D

If I remember right, I think I cried when Zazoo got sat on when I saw it for the first time. xD

DMKA
03-28-2006, 05:14 PM
O rly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akira_%28film%29)
Akira doesn't even come close to the brilliance that is The Lion King and it's blasphemous to even suggest such. Certainly a good film, but it fails in it's origin base (it was based off a multi-volume manga), and character depth. Comparing it to The Lion King is like comparing Final Fantasy X-2 to Xenogears.

It is however one of the greatest, if not the greatest animated film of all time in sole terms of animation, given that it was made in 1987.

Rikku_Yuffie_girl
03-28-2006, 05:51 PM
I loved the lion king, i liked the 1st the best, i didnt like the lion king 1 and a half or the 2 but its not my fav disney movie

~SapphireStar~
03-28-2006, 08:29 PM
i didnt like the lion king 1 and a half or the 2 but its not my fav disney movie
The second movie, Simba's Pride:

Simba and Nala have a daughter, Kiara. Timon and Pumbaa are assigned to be her babysitters, but she easily escapes their care and ventures into the forbidden lands. There she meets a lion cub named Kovu and they become friends. What she and her parents do not know is that Kovu is the son of Zira - a banished follower of the now-dead Scar. She plans to raise Kovu to overthrow Simba and become the king of the Pride Lands. This tests not only Kiara and Kovu's relationship as they mature, but Simba's relationship with his daughter.
The Lion King 1½ followed after Simbas Pride.

Avathar
03-29-2006, 06:59 PM
The Lion King IS a classic.

O_o That song that Scar sings keeps giving me the goosebumps ("Be prepared":eek: .......)