PDA

View Full Version : is it just me?

yunashuyin
03-28-2006, 03:40 PM
is it just me or is square enix,
making the same looking final fantasy characters in the final fantasy after?,
like i know ffvii tifa was the frist girl that had black hair, then riona came after her she looked like tifa, then garnet
and there are other final fantasy characters but you say and i want a reason why too, cause they need to make there own character instead of copy there other characters if if it just me :confused:

The Devourer Of Worlds
03-28-2006, 03:44 PM
I seriously hope you’re basing this one something more than the fact that the female leads in FFVII, VIII and IX had black hair…

DeathKnight
03-28-2006, 03:52 PM
I could argue that square-enix is kissing white people's ass by making all characters from FFVII and on blonde (except in VIII *miracles do happen*).

Avathar
03-28-2006, 08:57 PM
I actually made a whole thread on another forum about this. I know what you're trying to say: it's all about stock characters: characters that return in every game, which look exactlyt the same like a previous one, if not by appearance, than by role in the story, or the way of fighting. I'll type out the example of stock character-lists:

- Dark And Mysterious

Shadow-Vincent-(Seifer)-Amarant-Auron

- Brave and Heroic

Locke-Cloud-Squall-Zidane-Tidus

- Cute and Comical

Relm-Yuffie-Selphie-Eiko-Rikku

- Healing and Loving

Terra-Aeris-Rinoa-Garnet-Yuna

- Strong and Courageous

Sabin-Barret-Zell-(Amarant)-Wakka

- Odd but Great

Gogo-Cait Sith-Quina

- Guarding and Fighting

Celes-Tifa-Quistis-Freya-Lulu

Those are some stock characters (not to mention the return of a Cid in each game^^)

Plus, anyone noticed that these names end all with -a?

FF6: Terra
FF7: Tifa
FF8: Rinoa
FF9: Sarah (Garnet)
FF10: Yuna

:D Yeah

Leucant
03-28-2006, 09:07 PM
I actually made a whole thread on another forum about this. I know what you're trying to say: it's all about stock characters: characters that return in every game, which look exactlyt the same like a previous one, if not by appearance, than by role in the story, or the way of fighting. I'll type out the example of stock character-lists:

- Dark And Mysterious

Shadow-Vincent-(Seifer)-Amarant-Auron

- Brave and Heroic

Locke-Cloud-Squall-Zidane-Tidus

- Cute and Comical

Relm-Yuffie-Selphie-Eiko-Rikku

- Healing and Loving

Terra-Aeris-Rinoa-Garnet-Yuna

- Strong and Courageous

Sabin-Barret-Zell-(Amarant)-Wakka

- Odd but Great

Gogo-Cait Sith-Quina

- Guarding and Fighting

Celes-Tifa-Quistis-Freya-Lulu

Those are some stock characters (not to mention the return of a Cid in each game^^)

Plus, anyone noticed that these names end all with -a?

FF6: Terra
FF7: Tifa
FF8: Rinoa
FF9: Sarah (Garnet)
FF10: Yuna

:D Yeah

Just so you know... Sarah doesn't end in -a. Unless your going by sound. Which isn't spelling. And as far as catagorizing the characters, what do you want square to do??? Yeah ok in FF13 there is going to be some bright optimistic villian who loves butterflies and is a home decorator on the weekends. Beat that Square-Enix

DJZen
03-28-2006, 09:29 PM
They did that already. His name is Kefka.

TheAbominatrix
03-28-2006, 10:54 PM
I agree about the stock characters as far as personality and the roles they play... but I dont think the characters look alike at all. Rinoa and Tifa look nothing alike, especially with Rinoa's chubby face. Garnet looks so different from them I dont see how anyone could think they look alike.

Leucant
03-28-2006, 11:11 PM
Lol, well then DJZen i would like to formally apologize... I had no idea Kefka was a home decorator. I have heard of his supreme evilness but i have not had the privalege of playing that FF as of yet.

However, i do think you have a point Yunashuyin. The basic appearance and feel of Tifa, Rinoa, and the few hours i have played on IX with Garnet/Dagger seem to be connected. But I think this may just be Square running with a good thing. I'm not complaining about it though cause without Tifa and Rinoa I think Cloud and Squall might have tried to off themselves...or just become emotionally unstable.

Tavrobel
03-28-2006, 11:13 PM
Kefka is also the best one. As far as characters and similaritiy goes, you'll find the same cliches in most stories.

The only way to get someone different, is to have a fat, sadistic, marijuana smoking and crack addict, who is blatantly homosexual at first sight, purple hair, plays Dungeons and Dragons, fights evil with a giant, oversized Spanish Textbook, is afraid of guns and tools, who speaks only with quotes from the Bible, dies multiple times during the game, has a Jesus complex, rides a quarterstaff as his airship, cusses when talking normally, has an Asian accent, speaks his quotes in leetspeak, fights the ubernewber secret hidden boss, known only as C-huck N-orris, kills Jack Bauer with sentox nerve gas, posts at EoFF regularly throughout the game, political idiot who thinks George Bush is God, is not a hypocrite, always right, missing a leg, has a permanently broken arm, never cries, dies from cancer, is randomly removed from the game every five minutes, including during a battle, glitches when he is in the party when the game saves, is named a random name without vowels in it, has a best friend who does nothing but lie on the ground and tries to listen to dead people talk under the ground, smiles all the time, is emo beyond words, is actually female, and kills God.

Any questions?

Leucant
03-29-2006, 12:09 AM
Kefka is also the best one. As far as characters and similaritiy goes, you'll find the same cliches in most stories.

The only way to get someone different, is to have a fat, sadistic, marijuana smoking and crack addict, who is blatantly homosexual at first sight, purple hair, plays Dungeons and Dragons, fights evil with a giant, oversized Spanish Textbook, is afraid of guns and tools, who speaks only with quotes from the Bible, dies multiple times during the game, has a Jesus complex, rides a quarterstaff as his airship, cusses when talking normally, has an Asian accent, speaks his quotes in leetspeak, fights the ubernewber secret hidden boss, known only as C-huck N-orris, kills Jack Bauer with sentox nerve gas, posts at EoFF regularly throughout the game, political idiot who thinks George Bush is God, is not a hypocrite, always right, missing a leg, has a permanently broken arm, never cries, dies from cancer, is randomly removed from the game every five minutes, including during a battle, glitches when he is in the party when the game saves, is named a random name without vowels in it, has a best friend who does nothing but lie on the ground and tries to listen to dead people talk under the ground, smiles all the time, is emo beyond words, is actually female, and kills God.

Any questions?

I like the way this guy thinks. When the aliens come, I'll be the guy hiding in his shadow.