PDA

View Full Version : Are you spoiled or not?

Agent Proto
03-28-2006, 04:01 PM
Well, I know I'm not spoiled, and I would like to thank my parents for not spoiling me. God, spoiled children are the worst kind, they expect everything to be given to them. AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHH. I'm not made of money, so I can't give them want they want. There are these two kids, and they already have a smurfing XBox 360, and not only that, but they sometimes disrespect their father. I am so glad I am not like that. Back when I was younger, I couldn't get what I wanted, so I had to wait for a special occasion to get them, either on my birthday or during Christmas. Well, now that I work, and got some money, I just buy what I want/need rather than asking my parents to get them. Getting spoiled at such a young age isn't a good thing in my opinion. Often times, the kids will expect too much from you, and will become grumpy if not satisfied.
>_<

Anyway, enough about that. Are you or someone (relative or not) you know spoiled?

Parker
03-28-2006, 04:10 PM
I wasn't really spoiled at all, but it's not like my parents gave me nothing.

My brother (of a different mother) is pretty spoiled, and when he comes to visit he can be a little snobby and act up and be rude to my father. It's sad.

He's only 7 though, I hope he grows out of it!

Zeldy
03-28-2006, 04:20 PM
My parents say me and my brother are spoiled because "YOU ALWAYS HAVE FOOD ON THE TABLE, AND A WARM HOUSE"

Im the same as you Proto, I have to wait till Christmas/Birthday until I get anything from my parents except the occaisional T Shirt or things like that. I buy my own CD's, I pay for the cinema myself and things like that.
But how can I buy anything with £4 a week? Yes. £4! And I do Chores for that crappy amount, you can't buy anything with £4 :( So thats why I only own like, 7 albums because I can't afford them and Mum won't let me be a Papergirl ;___; "Your a GIRL. A GIRL, AMY, A GIRL. ITS NOT SAFE"

~SapphireStar~
03-28-2006, 04:26 PM
I was before my brother was born, so I was spoilt rotten for 7 years. Its not having a good effect on me cause I still act spoilt and want my own way of the time and anything I see, I want.

Shoeberto
03-28-2006, 04:32 PM
Yes, I think I have been. Though, over the past few years, I've tried to make myself a bit more independent from my parents, money-wise, so that I don't feel like I'm such a financial burden on them. They're willing to provide a lot for me, but I try not to take too much advantage of it - I don't want to become a leech to them when I have to live on my own.

Chris
03-28-2006, 04:46 PM
No. I wouldn't consider myself spoiled. My sister, however, is very spoiled. I don't envy her for it, simply because I don't think it's a good thing to be spoiled. Most often, spoiled kids grow up to become selfish people who doesn't have a concept of what sharing means. I'm perfectly happy as I am.

Zante
03-28-2006, 04:51 PM
All my friends say I am, so I guess its the truth.

Master Quan
03-28-2006, 05:09 PM
I was before my brother was born, so I was spoilt rotten for 7 years. Its not having a good effect on me cause I still act spoilt and want my own way of the time and anything I see, I want.

I always think of stuff like that. Like, what would my life be like if my brother wasn't born?

I can only assume it would be better.

Shooting Star
03-28-2006, 05:12 PM
i'm not spoilt. no way.

Avarice-ness
03-28-2006, 05:19 PM
I was spoiled.. When we made 6-figures a year back in the 90's.
And now I'm not, because we make barely anything.
I saved myself from being spoiled, by going from rich to poor.
And I have what I want, now all I want are things that are sentimental, Not materialistic. (Omgz0rz! I'm so freakin' greedy and yet I want somthing other then Money-type things?!?1!?!?!??!=OOOOONahahah*L00z3r n00b Mom3nt)

<3.

Jess
03-28-2006, 05:25 PM
Mum won't let me be a Papergirl ;___; "Your a GIRL. A GIRL, AMY, A GIRL. ITS NOT SAFE"
You could always apply for a Saturday job in a hairdressers. :p

No, I'm not spoiled. I've always understood that things don't come for free and I've always really appreciated it when my parents buy me something. I don't get things whenever I want, but I don't expect to either. :bigsmile:

Shauna
03-28-2006, 05:27 PM
But how can I buy anything with £4 a week? Yes. £4! And I do Chores for that crappy amount, you can't buy anything with £4

Shush Amy. I get £10 a month. Don't complain.

Anyway, I don't think I'm spoiled, I hope to think I'm not spoiled. :D If I want something, I have to buy it myself. Unless it's clothes or for school or something. :)

Psychotic
03-28-2006, 05:27 PM
I'm spoiled alright. I'm three weeks past my use-by-date. :D :tongue: :laugh: :chuckle: :spin: :laughing:

I have a long and fruitful career as a joke book writer ahead of me.

Zeldy
03-28-2006, 05:29 PM
Mum won't let me be a Papergirl ;___; "Your a GIRL. A GIRL, AMY, A GIRL. ITS NOT SAFE"
You could always apply for a Saturday job in a hairdressers. :p
And put my hands through people's manky hair? Ew no thanks >_>
Besides, I can hardly plait my own hair nevermind other peoples.

Shauna, do you do chores for it though? I have to do Dishes and cup of tea's throughout the day, every day ;_; and not moan or be cheeky. On weekends I have to tidy my room, its amazing how in 7 days my room goes from spotless to an absoloute mess :p

Captain Maxx Power
03-28-2006, 05:34 PM
I wasn't particularly spoiled, but being an only-child I did tend to get more than most people would.

Old Manus
03-28-2006, 05:39 PM
In my day we had to pay for our parents

Shauna
03-28-2006, 05:50 PM
Shauna, do you do chores for it though? I have to do Dishes and cup of tea's throughout the day, every day ;_; and not moan or be cheeky. On weekends I have to tidy my room, its amazing how in 7 days my room goes from spotless to an absoloute mess :p

Yup yup. :) Except my chores are more like cleaning the house. :)

bipper
03-28-2006, 05:53 PM
Sure - I am not starving and living on the streets. I have a great wife, astrapping young lad for a son, and a beutiful daughter. I get cooked meals, a clean house, and a comfotable bed to lay in at night.

I got it damn good.

Bipper:love:

Ki Ki
03-28-2006, 06:50 PM
I wouldn't call myself spoilt. I work for money and ... I wait for good things!
But I am very sheltered! Which is a not so good thing ...

Ryth
03-28-2006, 07:20 PM
Sometimes I wonder if I'm being spoiled, I don't get an allowance though I do a few chores, taking out the trash and cleaning dog mess out in the backyard. I don't know how to cook or clean dishes, and I feel really really bad about that. I've asked them to teach me to do these things, so I don't feel like such a burden and so I can help them out they do deserve some help, numerous times but they never seem to do it and I forget to remind them all the time. They sometimes get me games for no reason, normally the new game based on a movie based off a comic book, because my dad loves comics (so do my brother and I) and I still feel guilty about them buying it for me.

Same goes for Christmas, though they don't buy me games for no reason very often and I don't have an allowance to buy anything for myself (and being 13 I can't get a job) I sometimes wonder if they're buying me a little much. Materialistically, I've got everything I really need...

There have been times I've acted spoiled, though I've always immediately recognized it and apologized for it and all and I consider myself a generally generous person. So I guess my parents are spoiling me but I'm trying not to let it affect me and I guess I'd say I'm doing an adequate job of it.

War Angel
03-28-2006, 07:38 PM
I have a roof over my head, clothes to wear, plus sufficient food and water to sustain myself. Those are the main foundations for a person's physical well-being. Other than that... I've got everything I need. I've got family, friends, hobbies, enough money for most things, and a generally healthy body and mind.

I do have to deal with certain hardships most people around my age or any age in other places don't have to, do certain things and live in certain conditions many would find un-bearable and generally be better and advance in a very demanding and harsh enviorment.

I've never suffered faminem, though, never had my family wiped out, never had to kill or suffer excruciating pain for my survival and never had to face existence as a true burden. I consider myself lucky because of all that.

So.. I'd probably consider many people spoiled, but if you asked a Holocaust survivor or a starving kid in Africa, they'd tell you I have much more than I need.

Master Quan
03-28-2006, 08:06 PM
I have a roof over my head, clothes to wear, plus sufficient food and water to sustain myself. Those are the main foundations for a person's physical well-being. Other than that... I've got everything I need. I've got family, friends, hobbies, enough money for most things, and a generally healthy body and mind.

I do have to deal with certain hardships most people around my age or any age in other places don't have to, do certain things and live in certain conditions many would find un-bearable and generally be better and advance in a very demanding and harsh enviorment.

I've never suffered faminem, though, never had my family wiped out, never had to kill or suffer excruciating pain for my survival and never had to face existence as a true burden. I consider myself lucky because of all that.

So.. I'd probably consider many people spoiled, but if you asked a Holocaust survivor or a starving kid in Africa, they'd tell you I have much more than I need.

Well, if that ain't the most politically correct post ever, I don't know what is.

Anaisa
03-28-2006, 08:21 PM
I'm not spoiled, but I'd love to be. Although I actually could be, since I've had the opportunity to amass a large amount of money, but I've turned it all down because there were certain circumstances that were in the way. I know I could handle being rich an spoilt without turning into a brat, so that certainly doesn't worry me.

Miriel
03-28-2006, 08:31 PM
I don't know how to explain this exactly...

Well, I got a lot of things I wanted while growing up. But I always was extremely grateful for everything my parents did for me and I knew that I was lucky in comparision to other people. My parents installed in me the idea that if you want something, you have to earn it. And so in exchange for a cell phone, I had to maintain a 4.0 GPA, and stuff like that. So I was given plenty of stuff growing up but I don't think that I'm too spoiled, maybe moderately so, but I've always acknowledged that it was a priviledge for me to have certain luxuries and not a right.

I think truely spoiled people are the ones who demand things and expect the world to cater specifically to them.

Having toys and gaming systems does not automatically make someone spoiled. Being spoiled is based on mentality and behaivor, not so much how many toys a kid has in his closet. Although that sorta thing does play a factor.

Rye
03-28-2006, 08:33 PM
I'd say I am spoilt, somewhat. I won't deny it. But not in a way where I get everything I want and whine. It's more that my parents are just well off and we're all fortunate.

EDIT: EXACTLY what Miriel said. I have a lot of stuff, but I don't have the spoilt mentality.

Yamaneko
03-28-2006, 08:38 PM
No, Mom, you idiot! I have Bloodstorm, and Bone Squad, and Bloodstorm II, stupid.

War Angel
03-28-2006, 08:41 PM
Well, if that ain't the most politically correct post ever, I don't know what is.
?!

How is it politcally correct, exactly?

Some people would think I'm really misreable because I have to sit in a guard post at night and have to bear freezing temperatures and staying awake for hours on end. But I have a girlfriend to call after my guard duty is over, and some food to munch on, and a semi-comfortable bed to crash in.

Some would think my shoulder injuries are a serious bummer, but at least I haven't got cancer, and I can walk on my own two feet. Some would think it sucks that my parents are divorced and that my relationship with my mother is extremely troubled, but at least I have both of my parents alive and fairly well.

It's all relative to the observer.

I think truely spoiled people are the ones who demand things and expect the world to cater specifically to them.
Aye, and people that think they have it worst, and can't seem to deal with life even when it's really not that bad, people who whine all the time and lack proportion.

It's all in your head. You have got to remember what good fortunes you have, and how to make the best of things. Sulk and feel misreable for a while and over serious matters, but don't let it consume you. Don't think you deserve everything to go your own way just because, and don't expect others to fit your standards either.

EverVine
03-28-2006, 08:43 PM
I was spoilt when I was younger. My mum used to give me and my brother everything we wanted and she would do everything for us, the cleaning and everything, so I didn't really get to learn how to do anything up until I was around sixteen (I'm 19 now). And when I was younger I used to throw tantrums when my mum said no to me, and still I get angry when I hear no, no matter what it is about.

So, when I was younger I acted spoilt, but I only acted like that at home. Everywhere else I was sweet, kind and generous. But yeah, nowadays it isn't like that for me. When I was sixteen my mother started needing my help around the house because of her work (she was a single working mother). So, she started to teach me to clean and things like that.

So yeah, I used to be spoilt, but now I am not. I eventually started to feel bad and wanted to get my own money, which I am trying to do now. But I have had some bad effects from being that way when I was younger, like, extreme stubborness, I have too much pride, I can be quite materialistic and want everything.

And yeah, I used to be spoilt, but I wasn't a spoilt brat. I still grew up with having very high morals and being a nice person.

Master Quan
03-28-2006, 09:52 PM
How is it politcally correct, exactly?

I just, I- wow.

War Angel
03-28-2006, 10:20 PM
I just, I- wow.
Oh, I understand completely, now that you've conveyed your point so elaborately. :rolleyes2

Want me to tell you some good Holocaust Dead Baby Pedpohile jokes, so you do not mistake by for a politically-correct supporter?

fire_of_avalon
03-28-2006, 10:41 PM
Stay on topic, Master Quan.

And no, I wasn't spoiled, but one of my cousins sure as heck was, and still is to a certain extent.

rubah
03-29-2006, 12:50 AM
I'd say I was pretty spoiled.

Rusty
03-29-2006, 11:46 AM
I'm not spoiled by my Dad, but I don't go without either. If I go to the movies, my Dad will give me $10 or $20 bucks, depending on how much he's got at the time to give. But I don't ask for things I know we can't afford and throw tantrums when I don't get my way, because I wasn't raised like that. I do my share of work around the house and my Dad knows that, he's at work long hours so I take care of the house mainly. We have a good balance.

I admit to be spoiled by my Uncle not that I live where I do, I'm his favourite neice and love it. But that don't mean I'm a brat and have always had the things I do now. I know what it's like to go without.

Boosk
03-29-2006, 11:56 AM
I kinda wish we'd had the money to afford to be spoilt.
I have never been spoilt. Even at Xmas and birthdays I'd not get things other kids saw as cool or anything I wanted. Heh, I remember the best present me and boris got was a box of felt tips and crayons and paper. That's the kind of presents we got.
And I'm glad. It taught me to be grateful for everthing I have. Everything I own at the moment is what I've saved up and bought myself.
It kinda makes me feel a little sorry for these kids who get given iPods and Xboxs and such. If they get a gift they won't apreciate it as much. To them it'll be just another gift to put on the pile.

Kagga:love:

xX.Silver.Wings.Xx
03-29-2006, 01:30 PM
I always get something if I need it but otherwise I just have to save my allowance..

Shaun
03-29-2006, 03:45 PM
Hey, great timing with this topic.

No, I'm not, and I'll leave it at that.

ScottNUMBERS
03-29-2006, 04:23 PM
I always get what I want, yet I'm not a brat. I'm grateful for everything I have.

Yuffie514
03-30-2006, 01:39 AM
absolutely. like a Princess. my parents don't provide money when i'm working though. i will try to pay those who are kind enough to lend me money every cent i can.

RSL
03-30-2006, 01:47 AM
I was the oldest of five kids and my parents struggle financially for a long time, so I wasn't spoiled at all. I'm fine with that though, they did their best and I'm happy to see that they are getting along good now financially. It helps that three of us five have moved out!

Zeromus_X
03-30-2006, 02:11 AM
Not anymore, thank goodness. :cat:

DMKA
03-30-2006, 02:36 AM
Until I was about seven, yes. After that my parents didn't have the means to spoil me, and then when I was eight till I was about sixteen I was in foster care, so when I came back to my parents I was at an age where I was used to doing without and old enough to understand simple yes and no answers.

friedpork
03-30-2006, 02:56 AM
I was never spoiled, i had to do all my chores and all my homework or else i will get in big trouble. However, my sister who is 22 is very spoiled. She gets everything she wants, she doesnt have a job or anything. She just freeloads of our parents 24/7.

T-MaN
03-30-2006, 03:03 AM
I wasn't spoiled, I was disciplined in the field of proper ethics.

Ballistix Man
03-30-2006, 03:24 AM
I have nice things but I spoiled I dont think so.

VorpalCyberWolf
03-30-2006, 03:31 AM
Im really not spoiled either... I have awesome parents. My parents are the kind that wont give you stuff you don't earn, but if you are in a jam they will always help you out, as long as you are willing to pay them back.

Del Murder
03-30-2006, 04:07 AM
I am very much spoiled. You have problem?

'eMeRaLdFaYe'
03-30-2006, 04:44 AM
NOoOo.. Im not spoiled! Well, I don't consider myself as one, because as you can see, I really dont ask much of any materialistic things to my parents. When I want something, I just tell them, "Dad, when you have enough money, can you buy this for me?" So yeah... but my little brother is soooooooo spoiled, and its sooo irritating!!

When he wants something, he wants it original and expensive. If dad buys him one but its cheaper than what he wanted, he gets soo angry and naturally goes berserk...What he wants, he gets, its soo irritating... and when he doesn't get what he wants, we would fight my mother for it...goodness!

:mad:

Shlup
03-30-2006, 05:08 AM
I'm given a lot, but I'm very appreciative for everything I get.