PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Machine Software for Windows 98?

ShunNakamura
03-29-2006, 08:39 AM
I am sure some of you are aware of VMWare. Well our college likes it so much that our networking finals are to be done in VMWare. Just a slight problem with that. The Finals can easily be megatime consuming and I really don't want to stay after class any more then I already have(not uncommon for me to miss dog classes because my networking ran over by 2 and half hours or more). So I decided, since it doesn't have to be done up there(as long as you have a way to get it to him) I will just do it on my laptop at home and that will make it much easier.

Too bad my laptop at home can NOT(ok, I just won't try to run it, but I like some functionality from my systems) run XP or the other resource-hogging systems and to my knowledge VMWare does not support 98. So my question is, is there anything out there that is similar to VMWare but will work on win98?

Just for reference the laptop is:
450mhz
128mb ram
crappy video
crappy sound
well actually I ain't sure of much else on it, cept that it ain't very good(old latitude CPx)

the software well run nastily slow on it. But at least I will be at home and able to play video games(or do anything else I want really) while it is doing its thing.

Endless
03-29-2006, 09:11 AM
Just for reference the laptop is:
450mhz
128mb ram
crappy video
crappy sound
well actually I ain't sure of much else on it, cept that it ain't very good(old latitude CPx)

the software well run nastily slow on it. But at least I will be at home and able to play video games(or do anything else I want really) while it is doing its thing.

With 128mb of RAM? xD haha.
Why do you need vmware for the class in the first place? What do they run on it?

ShunNakamura
03-29-2006, 12:08 PM
Well we are in networking. And if we weren't using virutal machines each of us would need at least 2 seperate computers to use, and the college is to cheap to do that when they can tell you to just use VMWare and then to the two machines are on one physical machine. Plus you can house the Virtual ones all you want and no real harm is done. Very popular for any computer course at my college.

I guess at home I could use three of my computers to do the final and then bring them all in(plus a switch, if I can find a free one), but I want do that even less then I want to do the staying over deal.

As for the 128mb of ram, I have ran that computer as a server with Windows Server 2003 enterprise edition and emulated Playstation games with it(that was with win98 installed, not server2003) without out any real issues. A bit slow and not very pretty graphics, but I can make it through that. It isn't like VMWare runs fast at the college anyways, they use at most 1GHZ processor with 256mb ram, but they are also running Windows XP which seems to slow alot of stuff down.

crono_logical
03-29-2006, 12:33 PM
You could try to find an old version of Virtual PC before Microsoft took it over :p