PDA

View Full Version : Why is nudity embarrassing?

agrudis
03-29-2006, 09:52 PM
Just some random thing I've been thinking today, and I haven't been able to figure it out. Can anyone give some sort of sensible answer to such a stupid question?

Chris
03-29-2006, 09:55 PM
Everybody have something they're ashamed of concerning their body. Why expose your most vulnerable spot for the world to laugh at?

Psychotic
03-29-2006, 09:56 PM
Why don't you walk up a busy street naked, and find out for yourself?

Shiny
03-29-2006, 09:57 PM
Because people stare and it gets awkard... and stuff may jiggle in odd places. Alot of people don't like that.

Anaisa
03-29-2006, 09:58 PM
People find nudity embarassing, because its supposed to be embarassing.

~SapphireStar~
03-29-2006, 09:59 PM
Because people stare and it gets awkard... and stuff may jiggle in odd places. Alot of people don't like that.
Yeap. But I read the Japanese arent meant to be as embrassed cause they see the body as something to be admired, not ashamed of. Hence the reason for lots of nudity in anime and manga. That and nudes sell! Thats what Ive read anyhoo.

-N-
03-29-2006, 10:14 PM
If everyone saw each other naked, no one would want to do each other anymore.

Boosk
03-29-2006, 10:21 PM
I have too many jiggly bits for anyone to admire...they'd all run away.

Kagga:love:

Ballistix Man
03-29-2006, 10:22 PM
Too much jigle

Jebus
03-29-2006, 10:22 PM
Because it's ingrained into your mind by society.

Stayin Dizzy
03-29-2006, 10:28 PM
I disagree with everyone but Jebus really. It's a complete cultural thing. We are raised in society to believe that naked=bad or should only be shared in intimacy. But in Miami, FL for instance (the only personal experience I can give), you'll go to a nude beach and se people from infantcy to their late 80's walking about. I went the first time with my sister, a bunch of her friends, my nephew, and my g/f. At first it was weird being naked in front of so many strangers (and my family+g/f) but once you go you realize it's not a sexual thing. I even played nude volleyball. It's very liberating, and can make you feel more comfortable with your own body

Miriel
03-29-2006, 10:40 PM
Wobbly bits.

fire_of_avalon
03-29-2006, 10:42 PM
I disagree with everyone but Jebus really. It's a complete cultural thing. We are raised in society to believe that naked=bad or should only be shared in intimacy. But in Miami, FL for instance (the only personal experience I can give), you'll go to a nude beach and se people from infantcy to their late 80's walking about. I went the first time with my sister, a bunch of her friends, my nephew, and my g/f. At first it was weird being naked in front of so many strangers (and my family+g/f) but once you go you realize it's not a sexual thing. I even played nude volleyball. It's very liberating, and can make you feel more comfortable with your own body

and

Wobbly bits.

Hambone
03-29-2006, 10:44 PM
That's shocking. Anyway, being nude is only weird if u are in an environment full of people that aren't naked. If u were in an environment full of people that are nude, they would consider u weird. It has a lot to do with conformality. (If that's a word)

Rye
03-29-2006, 10:44 PM
Wobbly bits.

Yes. xD

Seifer
03-29-2006, 10:46 PM
Jiggle? Wobble? I don't jiggle or wobble. I flap. In the wind.

Nudity is embarassing because depending on your culture, nudity is associated with sex, and if you're ever seen naked, and you haven't planned it, you feel like you're being raped. It's even weirder when a family member sees you naked. :(

Dr Unne
03-29-2006, 10:49 PM
One day about 6500 years ago, in the Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve ate the fruit of the forbidden Tree of Knowledge, even though God (PBUH) had told them to stay away. This fruit gave them knowledge of good and evil, and this is the first point at which mankind became ashamed of their nakedness. For lo, it is written:

6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

7And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.

JackNapier
03-29-2006, 10:49 PM
Jebus and Stayin Dizzy are dead on. We are told right from when we can understand that nudity is bad and clothes are good. It's even a law to stay clothed right? But look in some countries they either are naked or wearing very little because clothes are not a custom in their country. But who knows, in the next 100 years half the people could be naked. About 100 years if someone walked by in a bikini or the like, everyone would've stared. It's not a big deal now.

Twisted Tinkerbell
03-29-2006, 10:54 PM
It's because we have been brought up to believe it is embarresing and socially unacceptable.

bipper
03-30-2006, 12:25 AM
Dr. Unne has this one. We stay dressed cause some fruit told us to do such.

Also, so I do not outshine everyone.

Bipper

Giga Guess
03-30-2006, 12:43 AM
It's embarassing? THAT'S why those people were running and screaming!

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
03-30-2006, 12:46 AM
Well I wouldn't want people to see me naked. Thats the point of clothes. Nobody want to be seen naked.(Well except those who ar naked for a living of course) Anyways my wobbly bits will not be seen till marriage xDD!

Hawkeye
03-30-2006, 12:48 AM
If everyone saw each other naked, no one would want to do each other anymore.
ahahahahahahaha

Zeromus_X
03-30-2006, 01:22 AM
It's because we have been brought up to believe it is embarresing and socially unacceptable.

And, I like clothes :cat:

RSL
03-30-2006, 01:29 AM
I'm not physically attractive, and it only gets worse if I am not wearing any clothes. I would definitely be embarassed if I ended up naked in public.

rubah
03-30-2006, 01:43 AM
Because clothes are pretty

VorpalCyberWolf
03-30-2006, 02:15 AM
I see both ways in this, and you have to keep your mind open to other peoples sensitivities and taboos, like being naked. Personally, I wouldn't mind being in a Nudist Colony aside from the fact I would probably catch a sickness in the colder weather and die ><.

Meat Puppet
03-30-2006, 02:15 AM
Because I have three nipples. People call me a circus freak. :(

'eMeRaLdFaYe'
03-30-2006, 03:57 AM
hahaha...nice...

Anyways, to us, its very embarrassing to walk up in a street all naked up, you know..? Some might take it as an insult, and some might see it differently...gets? I mean,some might mistaken you as a pok-pok, a famous term in Filipino teenagers that means prostitute. And yeah, it does feel awkward to have SOoOo many people stare at you in an odd way. And, it is also embarrassing to let people see the parts of your body which you don't want them to see, and some people get conscious of themselves.

ArGghh..i don't know.. I'm not making any sense...:eep:

NeoCracker
03-30-2006, 04:09 AM
I say we should all make a statement and show up at the white house naked, for people in other countries, come here and show up in front of the white house anyway. I'll bring the Camera. He'll have old Manus bring the signs, he's bound to come up with some witty slogen to sell the Idea.

lovehurts
03-30-2006, 04:16 AM
In "The man with the golden gun"....The bad guy had 3 nipples too.
An unserious response for what I hope is an unserious post....:tongue:

Despotus
03-30-2006, 08:42 AM
Jebus and Stayin Dizzy are dead on. We are told right from when we can understand that nudity is bad and clothes are good. It's even a law to stay clothed right? But look in some countries they either are naked or wearing very little because clothes are not a custom in their country. But who knows, in the next 100 years half the people could be naked. About 100 years if someone walked by in a bikini or the like, everyone would've stared. It's not a big deal now.
Amen to what the 3 of you said. I like to be naked, and to be around others who do as well. Many cultures are not as hung up about nudity as most people in the U.S. are. At home, (in the U.S.) I was brought up to feel that nudity was shameful, and sexual; and nude beaches were places that only dirty old men hung out hoping to catch a glimpse of some naughty bits. But, thankfully, my experiences at clothing-optional beaches in other countries have changed my perception of the human body for the better.

Teek
03-30-2006, 10:08 AM
I'm not physically attractive, and it only gets worse if I am not wearing any clothes. I would definitely be embarassed if I ended up naked in public.
I'd like it.

boris no no
03-30-2006, 10:41 AM
I speant too much on my clothes.
Not going to let them go to waste on someone elses body

Captain Maxx Power
03-30-2006, 10:53 AM
Everybody have something they're ashamed of concerning their body. Why expose your most vulnerable spot for the world to laugh at?

I don't have a vulnerable spot, so I'm more than happy to go starkers. I tihnk it's learned behaviour more than anything else. I've never really been taught that nudity is something evil or rude (not that I was brought up a naturist or anything), so the sight of people naked usually doesn't bother me.

Renmiri
03-30-2006, 02:30 PM
Because it's ingrained into your mind by society.
I have to agree. My kids had to be thaught not to run around naked in the neighborhood. My 5 year old still does it every once in a while :eek:

Zell's Fists of Fury
03-30-2006, 05:13 PM
Because women wouldn't have anything to shop for, otherwise.

Zeldy
03-30-2006, 05:20 PM
It just is >_< People are paranoid.

KentaRawr!
03-30-2006, 06:09 PM
Nudity is embarrasing because you get pictures of yourself all over the internet.

>_> Integrated into society.

bipper
03-30-2006, 06:30 PM
I have a third nipple. IT is actually a suggestive mole, but yea - I can cough up a picture if yall need - it is sexy.

Bip

Evastio
03-30-2006, 11:15 PM
Because it's like walking around in a banana suit with a pink umbrella. No one else is doing it.

However, it probably wouldn't be so embarassing if everyone else went naked.

fantasyjunkie
03-31-2006, 04:45 AM
I have never been embarrassed by nudity. I just could never understand why people make such a big deal out of it.

Shaun
03-31-2006, 11:07 AM
We've been brought up wearing clothes for all of our lives (or most of us have, I hope). Of course we're going to find it embarrassing; it's natural.

black orb
04-01-2006, 08:02 AM
>>> I cried aloud with mirth and merriment..

>>> I think its embarrassing when you are ashamed of your body, like being fat or something..
You know, if i had the perfect body I always wanted I would be running naked through the streets right now..

GhandiOwnsYou
04-01-2006, 08:20 AM
I got no problems being naked. It's all a matter of self image, If you don't like what you got, or constantly compare it to what everyone else thinks about it or to other people's own bodies, thats when you get self concious and embarrassed

Or you could go with seinfeld theory. Your uncomfortable naked, because you got nothing to adjust. no pockets, wasitlines, ties, hats, etc. you can't adjust to make yourself feel just slightly better than before.

On a slight sidenote, does anyone else agree that it's slightly ridiculous that women tend to feel more embarrassed naked than men do? The female body is so much more... artistic than a mans body. we got stuff thats just like... stuck on there. females are very... fluid? i suppose thats a good word. smooth curves and whatnot, as opposed to having a large thing just kinda stuck between our legs, almost like it was an afterthought.

Avathar
04-01-2006, 05:36 PM
Q: Why is nudity embarassing.

Simple:

A: Society teaches us to be ashamed. :/ Hm. Shame is a thing that's been teached. O_-

DarkLadyNyara
04-01-2006, 09:29 PM
Control of sexuality. You'll notice that, in general, socioties with the most negative attitudes about sex also have the strongest nudity taboos.