PDA

View Full Version : Your job interview tips

EverVine
03-30-2006, 10:31 PM
I am getting ready to go to my first job interview ever in about half an hour, so, I was just wondering, what are your tips for a job interview? It would be interesting to know. ^^'

Flying Mullet
03-30-2006, 10:33 PM
Don't pick your nose and then shake the interviewers hand.

bipper
03-30-2006, 10:36 PM
What is the nature of the Job.

No matter what, do not be negative to anything, be polite, and dress accordingly. Ask questions, and have a firm handshake ready! DON'T GET NERVOUS! THIS WILL DECIDE YOUR FISCAL FUTURE AND IF YOU FAIL PPL WILL DIE!!!!

Bipper

EverVine
03-30-2006, 10:36 PM
Really? That is strange... I will have to keep that in mind then...

Oh, and its a job at Subway. ^^'

Dreddz
03-30-2006, 10:39 PM
Turn Up.
I reckon thats pretty essential....

Dr Unne
03-30-2006, 10:47 PM
I find it helpful to remember that interviewers are often as nervous as the people they're interviewing. I've had to interview people, and it shows you another side of things. Think of it as meeting a new person and having a discussion about business.

It's a good idea to try to make the interview a DISCUSSION (a polite and professional discussion), rather than a question-answer session. It's easy to think of it like you're being quizzed; unfortunately a lot of places set the interview up exactly like that. But having a discussion is something everyone is good at. Ask questions of your own when they come to mind. Ask about the company. Ask what it's like to work there. Ask for the interviewer's opinions of things.

Remember that an interview isn't just to convince a company to hire you, it's for a company to convince you that you should accept the job. Try to learn enough about the company so you can tell if you want to work there.

Also, be yourself and be honest. Don't pretend to be a brainless optimism machine. No one is and it looks fake. Better to be calm, confident and honest than to sound like a liar.

anacacia
03-30-2006, 10:49 PM
Don't snease on the interviewers face. May the force be with you my kind man.

bipper
03-30-2006, 10:52 PM
Even though it is only subway, treat your it with ultra respect, and do not burn bridges. Ever. Unless your a good PC BS swimmer, i guess.

Roto13
03-30-2006, 10:54 PM
Yes, I took a class that had a lot to do with this recently. Have a question prepared to ask at the end (have several, just in case it's answered during the interview), and do some research about the company, so when they say "What do you know about our company?" you can actually say something. Dr. Unne has it right.

Don't fold your arms. You'll look like an ass. Shake the interviewer's hand. If it's done panel style, always answer the question towards whoever asked it. They will probably ask you to tell them a little about yourself. I haven't checked your age, but if you've graduated high school or college, don't tell them when. Naming the school is fine, but don't give a date. BE ON TIME! Yes, that's a big one. Punctuality is a huge plus for employers, so be on time. In fact, throw that into the "Tell us about yourself" response. Speak clearly. Don't mumble. Dress well, nothing too flashy, no piercings that aren't in your ear, not too much makeup, no makeup at all if you're male. I know there's more...

anacacia
03-30-2006, 10:56 PM
Yes there is more.

Make sure to be really nice. But dont sound like you absolutely need the job. Compliment the interviewer.

VorpalCyberWolf
03-30-2006, 10:58 PM
Simply be yourself, but dont give them too much of yourself for a first time meeting. Good luck. ;)

Roto13
03-30-2006, 11:02 PM
Compliment the interviewer.
Don't do that, you'll sound like a suck hole.

Ask around and see what other people in similar positions are making, because the issue of salary might come up. You don't want to over/undersell yourself. Then again, it's Subway, so it's probably standardized :p

Tempest
03-30-2006, 11:07 PM
Don't pick your nose and then shake the interviewers hand.
So that's why I didn't get that job. *notes that for future reference*

I'm sure this has been said, but make yourself presentable, of course, and have questions ready to ask.

eestlinc
03-31-2006, 02:49 AM
always dress well.