PDA

View Full Version : Let's discuss art.

Agent Proto
03-31-2006, 03:26 AM
Optical Illusion is artwork designed to trick the viewer's eyes. There are many types of such art. I would like to start this thread off in such manner by first introducing M.C. Escher and several of his famous artwork. M.C. Escher was a Dutch Illustrator who lived from 1898 to 1972. He is known for his artworks featuring realistic structures that seem impossible to construct. He also created art using a certain pattern.

Here are several images of his famous works.

black orb
03-31-2006, 09:47 AM
>>> I dont know about optical illusions but that art you posted is neat..

BG-57
03-31-2006, 12:10 PM
The man was genuis, pure and simple. He was very self-critical and felt that no one shared his interest in tesselation with recognizable objects.

The pictures of the three windows is neat in showing three prespectives of the same landscape at the same time. Seal was inspired to use a computer generated version of the archways in his music video of Killer. Seal also wears some cool fractal armor.

Which makes me wonder what Escher would have made of fractals. He stated that he preferred order to chaos, but fractals have definate pattern to them.

http://www.phy.bg.ac.yu/web_projects/escher/Castrovalva.jpg

This one is Castrovalva, which inspired an episode of Doctor Who of all things! They set an episode in this town (see the second image below).

Rye
03-31-2006, 04:26 PM
I love his work, especially the hands drawing themselves, that's my favourite. :)

Chris
03-31-2006, 05:22 PM
Is this thread about M.C. Escher only, or can we introduce an artist ourselves?

Agent Proto
03-31-2006, 05:31 PM
Week one, M.C. Escher. Next week, a new artist.