PDA

View Full Version : A good C++ Compiler...

Sylvie
03-31-2006, 04:40 PM
I need a good C++ compiler that is free. I am just starting to learn C++ and I need one with a good user interface that is easy to use... I tried Dev-C++ and its ok but when I compile my program and try to run it, the program opens for maybe 1 second before disapearing OR it just doesnt open at all...

Necronopticous
03-31-2006, 05:58 PM
JGRASP is a good multi-language development environment, it supports C++.

bipper
03-31-2006, 07:06 PM
use gcc if you have a spare linux box - for window$ use dev-c++ available at www.bloodshed.net It uses the MingW base libs and is top of the sexyness. Good luck!

Bipper

Flying Mullet
03-31-2006, 07:10 PM
But bipper really loves Java so take whatever he says in regards to C++ with a grain of salt. :p

bipper
03-31-2006, 08:25 PM
string sarcasm = 'Lawl.' ;
string message='
Flying Mullet of Fury had a hint of sarcasm in there. I loathe Java.
With that cleared up, I am currently applying for a Java Gig that pays very well ><

I am a sell out.';

applying sting to object, applying object to object

compileing....
...........................................................................................
..............................................(35 minutes later)
unknown object at line 666

Bipper$ ./rm -rf life

Flying Mullet
03-31-2006, 08:44 PM
I am currently applying for a Java Gig that pays very well ><

I am a sell out.
:cry:

Shoeberto
03-31-2006, 08:55 PM
use gcc if you have a spare linux box - for window$ use dev-c++ available at www.bloodshed.net It uses the MingW base libs and is top of the sexyness. Good luck!

Bipper
I second Dev-C++. I'm a bit fan of it.

Samuraid
03-31-2006, 09:45 PM
I tried Dev-C++ and its ok but when I compile my program and try to run it, the program opens for maybe 1 second before disapearing OR it just doesnt open at all...
The program may be running, but as soon as it finishes, windows closes the terminal window. The best way to test the program is to open a new terminal window (run "cmd"), cd to your the folder where Dev-C++ is compiling your program, and run your program manually in the terminal.

bipper
03-31-2006, 09:59 PM
this simple peice of code will stop that from occouring.

system(“PAUSE”);

The cleaner way would be to asc for user input before terminating (ie "Press any key to contine" Followed by a getchar command

bipper

Samuraid
03-31-2006, 10:23 PM
If you use system(), make sure to include stdlib.h

Endless
03-31-2006, 10:38 PM
As a development environment, get <a href="http://www.eclipse.org/">Eclipse</a>. Seriously. It works for <a href="http://www.eclipse.org/jdt/">Java development</a>, <a href="http://www.eclipse.org/cdt/">C/C++ development</a>, and more.

bipper
03-31-2006, 11:38 PM
Eclipse is good for sure. I have to use it at work, but it can get a little distracting at points. Don't worry about Java development though :) I personally do not like eclipse, but that has to do more with an extreme bias against its creators.

I try to stick with GCC and compliance myself. If you really want to learn c, get a linux box and use GCC as stated above ;)

Bipper

Samuraid
04-01-2006, 01:29 AM
gcc + a good makefile &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; most.

bipper
04-01-2006, 04:18 AM
gcc + a good makefile &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<del> most.</del> all

Dr Unne
04-01-2006, 05:40 AM
Another vote for GCC.

But who needs Eclipse when you can have Vim. :)

Endless
04-01-2006, 08:50 AM
Another vote for GCC.

But who needs Eclipse when you can have Vim. :)

You mean Vi? Personally, I use nano sometimes. :p