PDA

View Full Version : Ever had that perfect moment in a game completely ruined?

Vincent, Thunder God
03-31-2006, 04:56 PM
This is for posting that moment where you had just beaten part of a game amid almost impossible odds, only to die at that very moment. Alternatively you could tell us the moment where, with a great stroke of luck, and by accident, you won, even though you weren't expecting to.

I've had a lot of those moments, but the worst time that I had beaten a part of a game only to lose the progress was: I was playing FF1, and had just invested about 2 and a half hours into a difficult cave, and I had just finished it with only my Red Mage still alive. At this point I had not used memo much, simply because I find it annoying; you always have to remember that the save is NOT permanent. Now, just to skip some random battles (I was on Normal difficulty on FF Origins), I went straight to the Western Keep to give my hard-earned Crown to the King. I only use walkthroughs when I have to, so I had no idea the supposed "King" was really a deadly boss in disguise!!! And so, my poor Red Mage died, and I was yelling various heavy curses, livid.

So basically share your various game experiences where A. You died just as you had beaten a really tricky part of the game, miraculously or B. You somehow managed to beat a really tricky part by accident. You don't have to give as much detail as I did, and you can give more than one example if you want.

black orb
03-31-2006, 05:03 PM
>>> Game freezing, not saving and then someone turning off the console.. :mad:

Ramza Beoulve
03-31-2006, 06:36 PM
Well, it was not console's fault, but...

Me and a cousin were playing Sunset Rides once, and we were with the last boss, when my father come and say: "I can beat him in one move" and cut off the energy.

Lost Number
03-31-2006, 06:41 PM
I was playing Timesplitters when I just got to this bit where ya fight about 20 zombies. My revolver ran out. My shotgun ran out. My flamethrower ran out. My health was at bugger all. The last zombie was about to kill me...and A PERFECT HIT with a baseball bat sent his head flyin.

ljkkjlcm9
03-31-2006, 06:56 PM
I've had the game actually freeze while playing Time Splitters Future Perfect

THE JACKEL

anacacia
03-31-2006, 07:56 PM
Yes... I have one.

Playing Final Fantasy 7 way back in the day... got through sephoroth in the last disc... then... I didn't know there would be battles after it. So I have no potions or anything. Then... Sephoroth fights me 2 more times, on the 3 fight... he turned me into a frog... and used that one move that no-one can live through.

DAMN GAME!

Then... I wonder why the PS1 was broken after... No clue... *whistles to cover up what happend*

Medi
03-31-2006, 08:00 PM
Well, I beat Quadraxis with about 3 hit points left, and was really excited about getting the Annihilator Beam. Those of you who've played Metroid Prime 2 know why I died shortly afterwards. Though, I am much better at fighting that boss now. Easy :)

Spammerman
03-31-2006, 08:44 PM
I was on the last lvl of killzone with Lugar(spy/ninja person). I was clearin out rooms "stealthily" and when I say that I mean throwin grenades all over and runiin and gunnin.Then i do the objective I was tryin to do thats really really hard. I have a clip of ammo left. I also have very little health. A squad of super troopers come in and start firing at me. I try to evade and kill with my knife and I get to the one i thought was the last one, and get shot by another one.

Yuffie514
04-01-2006, 03:13 AM
Final Fantasy VIII
i enabled a Game Shark code that allowed Edea to be a permanent character. things were fine for the most except when i'm climbing ladders, i appear to be "stuck" and the game may sometimes freeze or cause a glitch while fighting Ultimecia (usually in her final form).

Final Fantasy X
i used to think i could ruin my Final Fantasy VIII for good if i failed at Lunatic Pandora. guess i was proven wrong, but i just happened to stumble on one i cannot rewind for Final Fantasy X regarding Bahamut's Break Damge Limit.

Final Fantasy XI
i didn't download nVidia for my pc so i experienced a lot of random d/c, freezing, lagging, and fuzzy graphics during gameplay - until i fixed it.

Rase
04-01-2006, 03:57 AM
I'm currently playing Deathmatch in Worms Armageddon, and I've gotten up to the rank of Hero. Basically, this mean it's four of my guys against twelve CPU's. Twice I've almost beaten it and died trying to kill the last guy, and then getting knocked back two ranks.So yeah, it's frustrating as heck. :mad:

Markus. D
04-01-2006, 05:35 AM
On Conquer Online 2, Massacreing 2 ghost kings in 1 overdrive, then.... forgetting to heal and getting killed by a lesser Poltergiest.

:(

DudeSon2004
04-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Final Fantasy VII,
I defeated the first part of Sephiroth at the end of the game.
I celebrated until I heard One Winged Angel,
again I was gripping the controller & lost the fight!!!
I was so disappointed.....

Then I decided to level up my characters, I defeated both Sephiroths after that.
I was very happy, until I met Sephiroth for a showdown of fate!!!
After using omnislash & watching the ending, I cried!!!

Memories are sure good!!!

Dreddz
04-01-2006, 09:45 PM
When I was playing Kurushi, I was right at the edge but somehow kept on getting through all the blocks......when I neared the end, I needed a drink, so I tried to pres start but accidentally pressed select, in which I died :(
Happened recently, thats why I remember, theres loads of other similier stories...

Raistlin
04-01-2006, 10:00 PM
The perfect moment is tough to get. :(

Ballistix Man
04-01-2006, 10:34 PM
I had one more man to kill while playing Golden Eye with my friends. I hadnt lost all day and we had been playing since that morning. I had full health. This was the last game of the day. I was shot. I ran and began firing like a madman in all directoins. Then out of nowhere my friend got back in the game and sniped me from afar. The bastard.

Fire_Emblem776
04-03-2006, 11:55 PM
The ending FMV of FF VIII froze on me -_-

KH-Cloudy
04-04-2006, 05:55 AM
kh2 gummi...misson 3...kill boss...got 500000...BLACK OUT@

Mo-Nercy
04-04-2006, 12:30 PM
In Need For Speed: Most Wanted, I had spent half an hour fleeing the cops in order to complete the nominated challenge of evading two spike strips. After that was done, all I needed to do was successfully lose the fuzz, which should've been as easy as getting on the highway and NOS-ing away (I had a pretty speedy car) but instead I decided to go into the more tight, twisty roads to try and find a cooldown spot, just for a bit of a change. As I hit the Speedbreaker button (slow down time so that you can make precision turning manuevers), I generate a little too much oversteer in my car and half-spin her out into a wall. The cops jump on me and I use a full tank to NOS to try and barge through them, but alas, I failed.

Reine
04-05-2006, 08:45 AM
This morning, on GTA San Andreas, i completed the Taxi missions (Easy but tedious and time consuming, the Paramedic Missions and quit a feq other normal missions and had gained a lot of stats and maxed out quite a few in the process, only to have the game randomly jam at a random moment.

Ive now lost all interest in games for a while, a just cant be bothered trying to do it all again, and the others are boring or too hard

a nirvana fan
04-05-2006, 10:28 AM
Tomb Raider 2: I was at the end of a really hard level near the end of the game and hadn't saved it in a while and then suddenly I fallen 100ft to the ground and died and had to start the whole freekin level again.

Pheesh
04-05-2006, 11:27 AM
Counter Strike: source. Me vs. 5 guys. Me going eco, the other 5 using god knows what. Me=OWNING! the other guys=DYING! I was very proud.

Stay Essential
EE

Shaun
04-05-2006, 12:33 PM
I think it could be whilst playing Advance Wars: Dual Strike for the Nintendo DS. It was one of the final missions, and I had been playing on it for like, two hours, and had reached over 100 days on it. Things were getting tough. I had severely damaged their defence with my Megatank, but they had managed to slip through my defence. I suddenly bought loads of units and surrounded them around the base, and said to myself: "They don't stand a chance!" Days passed, they continued to blast away at my units, but I kept a tight defence.

Meanwhile, some of my other units were attempting to invade the enemy base. I was SO close to capturing their base. Then - all of a sudden...the enemy got a Tag CO power! At first, I wasn't so bothered as my defence was tight, but one of the CO powers was the one that lets them capture my base in one turn. "Ooohhhh, Jeeeesuuuss CHRIST!" I shouted (slow that down by about five times) as I fell to my knees and slumped against the wall, and dropped my DS in disbelief... I fell out with Advance Wars, and we didn't make up for a few days.

Polaris
04-05-2006, 12:49 PM
It happened three times when I defeated Ultimecia, the disk just stucked and I never see the end with my game... I saw it with my cousin though :p Anyway is really bad to fight Ultimecia and be praying not to beat her but for the end don't stuck!

It happened when I was playing FF7 and I was almost at the end, I was so excited, I had defeated Sephiroth (I think) I was celebrating and thinking, "Man that was easy", then the other boss came and within 3 minutes it was game over! I was pissed off!

In Tomb Raider 3 I also got like that millions of times, but there was one that was a perfect moment, I was at the 3 level, i was ridding the moto really fast and suddenly in a corner was a cobra and I screamed so much when I saw it. Lara Croft was poisoned so I just cured her, killed the cobra, put in pause and I lay at my bed coz my heart was beating very fast! I never scared so much in a game...

Shaun
04-05-2006, 12:55 PM
Why did you all find Sephiroth so hard? Though, I guess I was nine when I completed it and I didn't know how to run away from battles until like, the second disc, so that explains a lot. I could defeat Sephiroth's final form in a few hits.

Meet_Sue_Be_She
04-05-2006, 06:41 PM
Final Fantasy VIII - When I was defeating Ultimecia, I had just killed her and the ending was starting to play when all of the power went off in my house. =(

Final Fantasy IX - I fell asleep when I was battling Garland [maybe cause he was so easy] and I woke up and had a game over so I had to do the whole diologe thing again >_<

Final Fantasy X - I was on the cute cut scene where Tidus kisses Yuna and my mom walks in and was like, "WOW THAT GUY IS A HUNK! He looks like Jacob!" [my boyfriend]

Legend of Dragoon - My game kept freezing towards the end and I haven't been able to finish it. ;_;

DudeSon2004
04-05-2006, 06:56 PM
I can kick Sephiroth's ass now & but when I was 10 or 11 I couldn't.
The first time I beat him I had about 5000 hp on each character.

McLovin'
04-05-2006, 07:32 PM
Final Fantasy 9. Had just gotten over 10,000 jumps on the jump rope. My mom was cleaning.
Cleaning + Wires=Unplugged
Now you share my sadness. :(

Project G
04-05-2006, 07:50 PM
Usually, it's when I've just killed the last boss, it's on the final FMV, I'm shaking cos it was hard, and it crashes!

xtreme112
04-13-2006, 12:29 AM
It used to happen to me a lot on my ps (thanks to our chip) so i'd go through a lot of bosses only to have it crash moments before the final blow was struck (it happened on suikoden 2 a lot, the boss before you get your castle in s1 was one scene, the other was the vampire dude (whose name i've forgotten) that you fight for the final time in that town (which i've also forgotten))

I also had one of the saddest scenes in Suikoden 2 ruined.I was playing at the point when nanami dies, while my two brothers just sat there making fun of the game in every way possible...that really does spoil a good moment

fantasyjunkie
04-13-2006, 04:12 AM
Well, it was not console's fault, but...

Me and a cousin were playing Sunset Rides once, and we were with the last boss, when my father come and say: "I can beat him in one move" and cut off the energy.
ROFL!! Man, I'm crying right now. I'm sorry Ramza, that's just too funny :D

Ramza Beoulve
04-13-2006, 04:26 AM
ROFL!! Man, I'm crying right now. I'm sorry Ramza, that's just too funny :D
Yup, It is funny now n.n, but then, it was pretty lame :mad:

Avarice-ness
04-13-2006, 05:13 AM
Oh.. the horrid memory returns..
In FF5.. fighting the dragon in the floating ruin thing.. You see... I was winning, I really really was... and that b**** king dude revived the dragon.. and........
OH GOD IT WAS HORRIBLE, MY GAME HAD A GLITCH AND I WAS ALL "YEAAAAH! MAN I'M GOING TO WIN!!! THIS HAS GONE ON FOREVER"
Reina: *attacks dragon* -Not even a number of damage.
Bartz: *attacks dragon* -Yet again the invisible number-
Me: .... What...
Faris: *Attacks dragon* -Blank yet again-
Me: *stares at Tv.*
Dragon: *Attacks and knocks off Reina*
Me: NO!
Galuf: *attacks* -Blank-
Me: NOO!!!
Dragon: AHAHAHAH PWNED LEWZER!!! *KILLS EVERYONE*
Me: ... .... ..... *Ties self a noose*

o o.... The numbers didn't even register zero.. they registered invisible... then.. I went to my friends house.... and he fought the dragon... infront of me.... and... killed it.... ... .... the way I would have... if the game didn't glitch.. and.. the dragon didn't tell me... 'AHAHAHHA PWNED LEWZER!!!'

Ramza Beoulve
04-13-2006, 08:00 AM
Oh.. the horrid memory returns..
In FF5.. fighting the dragon in the floating ruin thing.. You see... I was winning, I really really was... and that b**** king dude revived the dragon.. and........
OH GOD IT WAS HORRIBLE, MY GAME HAD A GLITCH AND I WAS ALL "YEAAAAH! MAN I'M GOING TO WIN!!! THIS HAS GONE ON FOREVER"
Reina: *attacks dragon* -Not even a number of damage.
Bartz: *attacks dragon* -Yet again the invisible number-
Me: .... What...
Faris: *Attacks dragon* -Blank yet again-
Me: *stares at Tv.*
Dragon: *Attacks and knocks off Reina*
Me: NO!
Galuf: *attacks* -Blank-
Me: NOO!!!
Dragon: AHAHAHAH PWNED LEWZER!!! *KILLS EVERYONE*
Me: ... .... ..... *Ties self a noose*

o o.... The numbers didn't even register zero.. they registered invisible... then.. I went to my friends house.... and he fought the dragon... infront of me.... and... killed it.... ... .... the way I would have... if the game didn't glitch.. and.. the dragon didn't tell me... 'AHAHAHHA PWNED LEWZER!!!'
I know your suffering, the same happened with me fighting Galamoth in Castlevania SotN, in Megaman X6 with High Max and in Marvel vs Capcom fighting the last boss

With Galamoth, I was fighting him in a time challenge, and I was dealing him 2550 per second, but when I was thinking I was going to kill it, the game glitched and healed him fully and I couldn't deal him damage! I stayed fighting him one hour, until the game deglitched, since then I hate fully Galamoth, he is my nemesis.

In Megaman X6, I was using Zero, and get to fight High Max nearly the end. I don't really remembered if the game actually glitched, but the fight was 2 hours long, he never touched me, but I never could never damage him, only a few times, even when he was completely undefended.

In Marvel vs Capcom, when I try to finish the game with Strider, the game glitches and I need to deal the final boss the double of damage! the battle was long enough to kill me the first time, but the next times I really love to destroy him with that glitch n.n.

leon123
04-19-2006, 11:51 PM
beating mgs 2 on extream...turning of the xbox and realizing i had not saved!!!!!!!!!:mad2:

dirkdirden
04-20-2006, 06:49 AM
just got to the last level in Ninja Gaiden for the Old school NES.

Damn electrisity went out, happend all the time in my town of 1000 people.

Darknite
05-17-2006, 06:00 PM
mine was gran trismo 3. i was doing an endurance race that has a 2 hour time limit (and kicking ass) and 8 minutes left on the clock and OUR HOUSE HAS A BLACKOUT!!:mad2:

FFX-facing the rainbow dragon (i cant remember its name) before bevelle.i couldn't beat it for the longest time. i finally beat it but had so little health and no potions i died facing the soldiers!:(

Peter_20
05-17-2006, 06:12 PM
I was running around in Gold Saucer in FF7, fighting in the Battle Square.
Then, after getting about 100 000 Battle Points or something, I decided to fool around in the Wonder Square.
Then I re-visit the Battle Square - MY BATTLE POINTS WERE ALL GONE! :mad2::mad2::mad2:

jjjjjat
05-17-2006, 08:07 PM
Grandia 3's ending. What a total waste of a game.

HolYuna
05-18-2006, 08:53 PM
Halo -

Me and my cousin spent a good 3 hours or so doing this one level, then along came my cousin's older brother.. and turned the damn Xbox off!! I seriously, nearly cried then. We hadn't saved it and we had to do the whole level over again, didn't take so long since we knew what we were doing.

Final Fantasy X -
After spending a good half an hour fighting Evrae, I finally defeated it. Then along came those damn soliders at Bevelle, at that time. I had no potions, no al bhed potions, no elixers(sp?) no nothing. I was so dead. and indeed I was. Had to defeat Evrae all over again.

Final Fantasy VIII -
OWN3D M3. I was fighting that Raijin dude, who always goes ''ya know?'' and I had just defeated him and I was so ready to take on Fujin, by herself. But little did I know.. Raijin came to help too! I couldn't heal my characters before the battle, cause, FFVIII is just EVIL like that.. ;o; I was so sure I was gonna beat her too.. Happiest moment playing that game.. then.. then.. ~___~

bipper
05-18-2006, 09:43 PM
I remember when I was finally to the part where Aries died. I felt so bitter-sweet when I seen it comming. A tear began to swell in my eye and I had the feeling like everything was about to be ripped away from me and yet I felt like I had so many feelings inside of me I was going to burst..
... then I realised it was gas.

Rengori
05-18-2006, 10:19 PM
FFV freezing right after getting Samurai.

SeeDRankLou
05-18-2006, 10:19 PM
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes: It was my first time playing, and I was fight the last Dark Samus. I think I was getting too close to its phazon shell and I didn't realize it, whenever I would collect the little phazon blasts into my charge beam I kept getting hit by something. So I beat Dark Samus with half a second remaining. I think I might have actually been sweating. I won, I was excitedly happy, Dark Aether was fading away, POWER CUTS OFF. I was peaved.

Final Fantasy IX: Jump Rope mini-game. I was at 970ish. I'm just in this zone, my thumb is about to give out, I've been hearing the same repeating noise for about 5 minutes and nothing else, and I'm on my way to King of Jump Rope for the first time. And then my little brother suddenly materializes behind me, "watcha doin?" Startled the hell out of me, and I lost my pace. My brother saw the look in my face and quickly ran away.

Resident Evil 4: I was fighting the second El Gigante, the one that's optional. But I wanted the treasure in that area, so I did it. It was hard because it was down a narrow path, but I finally beat him. I was like YES!....and then it fell on top of Leon, crushing him, killing him. I was all like "what the hell, I just won?" The first didn't have a reaction command to dodge the fall, but this one as I would see later did.

Slothy
05-19-2006, 12:47 AM
A few years back while playing a round of Counter-Strike, I was a terrorist on aztec using god knows what for weapons (likely an AK which I would have ditched for the first M4 I found). I hadn't run into any CT's for about a minute or so, or even heard any gunfire, yet when I hit tab I noticed that my entire team was dead and it was me vs. 8 guys. The only good news for me, every last one of them split up to look for me. After taking six of them down one at a time, one of them finally managed to take me out.

There was another time I was playing Team Fortress Classic on Dustbowl as a Sniper. I was on the defending force and the attackers had pushed all the way to our last capture point and were trying their darndest to cap it. I was staying near it sniping anyone who tried to get near. Anyway, this one spy tried four times to nade jump over to our cap point disguised as a demoman on our team so he could knife us in the back and cause general havoc. All four times he tried it, I shot him right out of the air. He complained that I was hacking, and an admin banned me with no proof. It was a shame because it was a fun server with some good regulars, but on the plus side, I shot a noob spy out of the air 4 times. They were actually easy shots since he was flying right at me each time, but it was still satisfying.

cloud20747
05-19-2006, 04:29 AM
Super Smash Bro. Melee - Event 50....Fighting Crazy hand and Master Hand with Donkey Kong. I kill Crazy Hand got Master down to like 40. I was at maybe 250% and then all of a sudden SMACK! I go flying and then I hear it FAILURE! I got up and punched my wall. the dent is still there...

RyanML
05-19-2006, 04:49 AM
watching the ending of final fantasy 8 and getting the /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gifs is really bad

Elite Lord Sigma
05-19-2006, 10:05 PM
I had gotten to the final boss fights in FFTA, but while I was saving my brother's progress on the game, I accidentally overwrote my near-end-game data. :mad2:

Also, when I was playing SoA:L for my GCN, I started a new file, intending to 100% beat the game. For some reason, when I saved on the second slot, I ended up with a copy of the game which overwrote my first file. I have never found out why.

Craig
05-19-2006, 10:14 PM
Super Smash Bro. Melee - Event 50....Fighting Crazy hand and Master Hand with Donkey Kong. I kill Crazy Hand got Master down to like 40. I was at maybe 250% and then all of a sudden SMACK! I go flying and then I hear it FAILURE! I got up and punched my wall. the dent is still there...

That happened to me plenty of times, just without the wall punching bit.

Oh, and the time I was fighting Melfice (Is that his name?) In Grandia II, and I kept dieing. Then one time I got him to 2hp and died.

Lynx
05-23-2006, 11:33 PM
its happened to me a lot in final fantasy tactics just gaining levels and jp only to die and lose it all.

Summoner Yuna
05-24-2006, 04:28 PM
Final Fantasy X -
After spending a good half an hour fighting Evrae, I finally defeated it. Then along came those damn soliders at Bevelle, at that time. I had no potions, no al bhed potions, no elixers(sp?) no nothing. I was so dead. and indeed I was. Had to defeat Evrae all over again.

I was lucky with the soldiers. Got to the ones that has the machina that ejects your people. Ended up with just Tidus after a while. Everytime it attacked I healed until realising I would run out of high potions soon (he wouldn't have lasted two of the attacks without healing.) So I threw an item at it (forgot which one) and to my complete supprise it went down.

Madame Adequate
05-24-2006, 05:07 PM
Final Fantasy 9. Had just gotten over 10,000 jumps on the jump rope. My mom was cleaning.
Cleaning + Wires=Unplugged
Now you share my sadness. :(

That is the worst thing I have ever read. :( :(

I can't recall one which got ruined - usually if I do something uber-swish it goes right. One of these was in the original Halo. My friend and I were heading up that huge tunnel to the surface in Assault on the Control Room, and there was a Jackal way way way the hell up at the far end. I had a sniper rifle, so I said to my friend "Bet I can bounce this off his shield and through his skull." - he started to laugh at me, just as I lined up the shot and bounced the bullet off his shield and through his chin, out the top of his head. It felt gooooood.

LunarWeaver
05-24-2006, 05:10 PM
Dodging lightning bolts and getting hit in X is all I have to say... I am disgusted with the weather forever.

Avarice-ness
05-25-2006, 05:41 AM
When I spent 1234567890765432 days in FF4 and for some reason I couldn't beat the dark elf.... I don't think I'll ever know why..
then... months later I pick it up, fight him and beat him not even trying.

I'm not sure if I'm mad at it because I couldn't beat it, or if i'm mad because I did beat it. x X