PDA

View Full Version : Hollow Sanctuary?

Moon Rabbits
04-01-2006, 03:18 AM
Kingdom Hearts had 2 theme songs, Simple and Clean and Hikari. Both sounded good (but I think Hikari was a bit better) and went well with the background music...but there's something strange about Passion and Sanctuary.

Passion was good, the music and lyrics/singing fit together really well, but Sanctuary seems really forced and hollow sounding...like it was rushed.

But for some reason this song has grown on me, even though it sounds like there's a strange echo or something in the voice.

Did anyone else find Sanctuary strangely good? I mean, when I first heard it i hated it...but now...

Rostum
04-01-2006, 04:02 AM
Sounds good to me. *shrug* You are talking about the ending theme, right?

Edit: I've only ever heard the Japanese OST.

mooglebunni608
04-01-2006, 04:05 AM
sanctuary was good, not hollow, exactly, but, mebbe a leetle bit forced... i think they should have stuck with passion myself.
But before i got KH2, I didn't get to hear santuary, so I listened to passion a lot. Then, I start up the game... it's all good till she starts singing then I was all "wtf??!"
yeah...

Ouch!
04-01-2006, 04:39 AM
I'm going to assume Sanctuary is what they're calling the English translation of Passion. I like Passion more, seems to flow better, but the English translation doesn't bother me that much. The syllables are stretched a bit too much in places in the English translation. That's about it.

Madonna
04-01-2006, 04:50 AM
Sanctuary is to Passion what Simple and Clean was to Hikari; same melody, different lyrics. Both Simple and Clean and Sanctuary were done for the sake of hearing some English in the theme songs 'cause goddamn a better sounding song for some understandable, if trite, lyrics. They aren't translations, not by far.

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-01-2006, 08:04 AM
Melodies are identical but I find the lyrics completly change the feel of the song. For me Passion was deep and touching, moving with a strong undercurrent. Sanctuary was more upbeat while it Japanese counter was slow and soft. Sanctuary seemed more of a battle sort of music to protect something dear. Passion was inner strength (a passion) to reach something dear. Or that is how they contrasted in my mind.

DMKA
04-01-2006, 08:18 AM
Actually, "Sanctuary" was written before "Passion", interestingly enough. I love it.

Also, what is it you're reffering to as "Hikari"? There's the Original "Simple and Clean", which was used in the ending, and then the Planit B remix which was used in the intro. I know of no song titled "Hikari".

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-01-2006, 08:20 AM
Hikari is the Japanese counterpart to Simple and Clean. Though where it would be played in KH, Simple and Clean was played in its stead. I believe that it is still called Hikari when refering to the instrumental versions on the OST, though I would have to check.

Azure Chrysanthemum
04-01-2006, 09:01 AM
I actually didn't like Sanctuary all that much, her voice sounds a lot worse. It seems almost as if she didn't try, which is ironic given that, as DMKA mentioned, she wrote it first.

Moon Rabbits
04-01-2006, 04:37 PM
Yeah, Sanctuary came first...I like it too, but something in her voice is strange and it doesn't sound like her.

Hambone
04-01-2006, 05:04 PM
I like Passion better.

Marluxiaswife
04-01-2006, 05:37 PM
I like Sanctuary and Passion both songs are very pretty :D

IceAngel
04-01-2006, 10:46 PM
Passion was better but... I guess I'm still getting used to Sanctuary. Yea passion did seem to flow but the way it is worded in japanese seems to make it flow. That might be why I like it a bit better.

Slothy
04-02-2006, 12:22 AM
Yea passion did seem to flow but the way it is worded in japanese seems to make it flow. That might be why I like it a bit better.

Agreed on that. I do like Sanctuary although I want to go back and listen to it a few more times so I can better form an opinion on it, but Passion did have lyrics that flowed better with the music. Sanctuary seemed like the lyrics were being rushed to fit them where they needed to go sometimes. Maybe I'm just a little to used to Passion though. I listened to it a lot while studying for exams back in December.

FallenAngel411
04-02-2006, 01:44 AM
I like Sanctuary quite a bit :3

The only part that bothers me is....

"La-ha-ha-aaaaaaaaaa-aayayayaayaaa-AAAAAAAAAA-nd"

Land is only one syllable, thank you.

IceAngel
04-02-2006, 11:03 AM
I like Sanctuary quite a bit :3

The only part that bothers me is....

"La-ha-ha-aaaaaaaaaa-aayayayaayaaa-AAAAAAAAAA-nd"

Land is only one syllable, thank you.

Yea and another bit in the song makes it seem like she's trying to fit the lyrics in the notes. O well, I still like to listen to it.