PDA

View Full Version : Anyone read Greek?

*__*)
04-02-2006, 07:32 PM
This is Greek right? Anyone know what it says?

http://www.galbadiax.com/ff8/squalluptower.jpg

Future Esthar
04-02-2006, 07:41 PM
I tried using worldlingo without good results.It is written in an ancient language because it was constructed during the time of the Dollet empire.

McLovin'
04-02-2006, 07:48 PM
I can read it but I don't know what it says. :D

Captain Maxx Power
04-02-2006, 07:58 PM
It's all Greek to me!

Sorry, someone had to say it.

rubah
04-02-2006, 08:04 PM
"Danger, falling spiders may cause death"

*__*)
04-02-2006, 08:09 PM
I looked at it upside down and came up with this phonetic transation:

XKhM;D BFOG..Th

Kore, futadapso

Kore (or core) means Centre in Greek possibly. The others are a mystery to me.

EDIT: I have a hunch that the top letters are actually Greek numbers since they don't even make anything which resembles a word, possibly a date, while the others are the name of a location (hence the difference in caps & lowercase.)
Ergo- 710:4 575..9
Kore, Futadapso

IceAngel
04-03-2006, 02:00 PM
"Danger, falling spiders may cause death"

Yea, thats what I would have thougth it said. :D

Morgoth_Bauglir
04-03-2006, 02:16 PM
I am Greek.
It says absolutely nothing.
Just some Greek letters so that others will say;''ooo that propably means something''
bull/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif.

oh,and who told you kore means core in greek?Whoever told you this has no idea of the Greek language.Kore is not a word in Greek.

edit;you want to look like you know a lot.
Make sure you know something for sure and then play the smart.

IceAngel
04-03-2006, 02:25 PM

People are just curios that's all. To the 'untrained eye' or whatever it does look like it means something. Peeps just want to find out if it does thats all. That's what this thread is about.

Morgoth_Bauglir
04-03-2006, 02:29 PM
i know what this thread is about
i just want the truth.
I prefer not telling the truth than telling a lie

Future Esthar
04-03-2006, 10:11 PM
Itīs not Greek but Dollet ancient language.In the same way that ancient Centra language looks Latin,this one looks Greek.

dante the demon prince
04-03-2006, 10:13 PM
i cant read greek but i can easily learn

McLovin'
04-03-2006, 10:17 PM
I am Greek.
Just some Greek letters so that others will say;''ooo that propably means something''

oh,and who told you kore means core in greek?Whoever told you this has no idea of the Greek language.Kore is not a word in Greek.

Just when I think I've read the stupidest post ever, you go and post another. Clearly, you spend way too much time in darkened rooms in front of your seven-year-old computer turning a whiter shade of pale. Go outside once in a while and breathe, before your brain starts to rot from all that festering stagnation and cognitive dysfunction.

Have you ever noticed that whenever you sit behind a keyboard, some idiot starts typing?

dante the demon prince
04-03-2006, 10:18 PM
I am Greek.

Just when I think I've read the stupidest post ever, you go and post another. Clearly, you spend way too much time in darkened rooms in front of your seven-year-old computer turning a whiter shade of pale. Go outside once in a while and breathe, before your brain starts to rot from all that festering stagnation and cognitive dysfunction.

Have you ever noticed that whenever you sit behind a keyboard, some idiot starts typing?

why should he go into the light wen darkness is so much better

McLovin'
04-03-2006, 10:25 PM
Where did I say light?

dante the demon prince
04-03-2006, 10:26 PM
ok miner glitch why should he go out side when inside in the darkness is so much more fun

Morgoth_Bauglir
04-03-2006, 11:25 PM
Itīs not Greek but Dollet ancient language.In the same way that ancient Centra language looks Latin,this one looks Greek.

XD

Morgoth_Bauglir
04-03-2006, 11:27 PM
I am Greek.

Heh,that's clearly you.
Covering your idiocy behind mere words.
Try facts next time ;)

edit;O God I love this
stupid entities try to say something in order to hide their idiocy.
Yeah!You would have honor if you admitted your mistake,bastard fly.xD

Leeza
04-03-2006, 11:58 PM
Sephiroth's Cage: Morgoth_Bauglir might have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, but that is no excuse for you to start flaming. This is a warning to you and it seems to me that it is not the first one. If you have nothing to post that is constructive to the topic at hand without being rude, do not post.

dante: you're pretty much on your last legs as well.

Morgoth_Bauglir: You can be a bit more pleasant yourself. Two wrongs do not make a right and watch your language.

Leeza
04-04-2006, 04:03 PM
Yes, it does appear to be that I am double-posting, but I am not as I have just deleted posts that where off topic in between my two posts.

Stay on topic!

crazybayman
04-04-2006, 04:33 PM
[!]

I am Greek.

why should he go into the light wen darkness is so much better
OMG its the prince of darkness!![/!]*snip*

This was spam. Please do not do that. ~ Leeza

Moon Rabbits
04-06-2006, 12:08 AM

:O FE. I actually agree with you. It probably was meant to just excite gamers and try adn get them to decipher it, as it has done...Square probably didn't think too much on it, but yeah...the best explanation is a Dollet language.

Morgoth_Bauglir
04-06-2006, 11:04 AM
My opinion is that it is quite stupid,concerning square's act.
It's like me ,putting some japanese letters which I like but don't know their mening,just to show I know Japanese or something.I think this act disgraces Square.I really lowered my ''admiration'' towards square after that.I am not fanatic anymore,I just like final fantasy.After all,there are still Greeks dwelling on this planet.Even if there weren't,some respect is obligatory,i believe.

Future Esthar
04-06-2006, 11:54 AM
My friend, it is there not to show that they know greek.
They explain to the players that there was an ancient empire which has Dollet as the capital.
It was the Dollet emperor who ordered the construction of the tower.

Itīs a little like the writings on the Tomb of the Unknown king.
Why canīt we read them?
The answer is obvious.

starseeker
04-06-2006, 03:09 PM
The writing's just there to look cool

Morgoth_Bauglir
04-06-2006, 03:13 PM
The writing's just there to look cool

answer given

Lost Number
04-06-2006, 07:59 PM
There are methods to deduce entirely new languages.

Morgoth_Bauglir
04-06-2006, 09:08 PM
My friend, it is there not to show that they know greek.
They explain to the players that there was an ancient empire which has Dollet as the capital.
It was the Dollet emperor who ordered the construction of the tower.

Itīs a little like the writings on the Tomb of the Unknown king.
Why canīt we read them?
The answer is obvious.

it is obvious to you,and to you only.Why?For you have a false estimation.I am not being selfish,nor am I assuming as correct something because it is my opinion.I just know this answer.

These carvings MEAN NOTHING AT ALL.
What Dollet emperor and stuff?If something was written there in manifestation of something,it would-in terms of human logic-mean
something.It does not.

Do you think this is a common act?
Well,people get killed at car accidents every day.But that does not make it a logical way of acting.

A manifestation,eh?
Okay,using your way,I will state that I am a human below;
dfdfdkfj--090((**/////____)) lkkdshjs .. . = ... 09 ..//}}|||\\

Was that clear?Heh,yes of course!It means that I wrote something stupid because I wanted to prove something.I assume that,it being a used techique,it is ok for me to use it . WRONG

These carvings mean absolutely nothing.Square,assuming that Greeks just can't interfere with the profit of the game (and why would they?10 millions can't ruin a market of 100millions)wrote something,which is propably meant to ''mean'' something.I don't know if it is Dollet or a green horse.

I know that grammaticaly,it means nothing.If now,this nothing is passed on to actually manifest something,it is none of my buisness.Like , it is none of my buisness to say ''^*%*HDHF'' means ''black cow''.But yeah,I guess everyone does that,so the answer is obvious.

Skyblade
04-06-2006, 09:32 PM
Before this degenerates into yet another flame-fest, I'll point out the obvious.

Why does using Greek letters mean that it has to mean anything?! Fraternity names have been using Greek letters for years, yet none of them actually spell any actual Greek words.

Also, since the symbols are repeated on both pieces (insofar as we can see on the second one), my guess is that they are a model/part number. And anyone who's looked at one of those in English knows that they don't make sense to anyone who isn't familiar with the coding patterns they've used.

Future Esthar
04-06-2006, 09:51 PM
The guy who opened this thread told me that he thinks Kore means Core=Middle=Center=Centre=Centra.

Interesting,hun?

*__*)
04-06-2006, 09:54 PM
Yes, Κορε= Centra

with model/part numbers and where it was made, i think... (it stands to reason, right?)

Of course I'm not saying that that is our modern Greek, but mearly that it is phesable that within the realm of FFVIII the same letters were once used for writing. I find it more that a coincidence that they were written as they were, the top ones consisting of capitals which cannot be words since they are nearly all consanants, they are more likely to be numbers; the others are more word-like with a consanant-vowel-consanant-vowel order, leading any intelligent person to assume that these must be words which are spoken.

One must think outside the box at this point. What sort of graphic designer/artist would purposly configure the letters like that in such a way, only to make them void of any meaning? Such a time consuming task as that only for nothing purposeful is ludicrous to say the least. Thus, we must understand that they do have meaning, of course this isn't the easiest thing to figure out; although we can understand what it might propose to tell using common sense (see above).

Future Esthar
04-06-2006, 10:06 PM
Sorry if you donīt want me to tell.

Morgoth_Bauglir
04-07-2006, 03:59 PM
guys,you are right. i don't care anymore.You're right. i can't pass a thick rope inside a little nail's opening (or what the heck it is called )