PDA

View Full Version : Atlantica

ehsteve
04-03-2006, 11:31 PM
Did anybody else feel like smashing their head through a wall after playing through that first Atlantica sing-along game? I am really enjoying KH2 so far, but that minigame was unforgivably terrible. Any other opinions?

SeeDRankLou
04-04-2006, 12:03 AM
That was a fun little mini-game, and rather easy at that. Plus, the song was cute.

eternalshiva
04-04-2006, 12:06 AM
lol I agree with seed >.> I loved the Atlantica mini games XD it was dorky AND cute.

DLLS
04-04-2006, 12:18 AM
Yeah i thought those mini games were great. Soras voice actor did better than i thought he would. Ariels voice was the only one that bothered me even a bit but it was only cause that voice actor sounded so much different to me than the one from the movie.

eternalshiva
04-04-2006, 12:26 AM
well it's been like 14 years since the movie >.> she can't keep those high notes. Bothered me in Under the sea. Her voice sounded like it was totally off key.

Behold the Void
04-04-2006, 12:54 AM
I find them to be extremely amusing.

DMKA
04-04-2006, 01:12 AM
I enjoyed it. "Under the Sea" and "Part of Your World" were very nostalgic and heart warming to me. I'm also amazed at how great a singer Haley Joel Osment proves to be.

"Swim This Way" made me laugh out loud though, but I suppose that was partially because it was the first one and I wasn't expecting it, and partially because Donald was singing.

FallenAngel411
04-04-2006, 01:55 AM
Haven't gotten there yet but from what I hear, I'm pretty sure I'll love it :3

ehsteve
04-04-2006, 02:15 AM
I guess that part of my hatred of the minigame is that The Little Mermaid is absolutely my least favorite Disney cartoon ever, and Ariel is easily my least favorite Disney main character. The lyrics weren't exactly Grammy worthy either - "We'll have a lot of finny fun" - Come on, people!

Hambone
04-04-2006, 03:55 AM
When do you get to Atlantica? I'm at Timeless River.

ehsteve
04-04-2006, 05:26 PM
The next world you go to will be a choice between Atlantica and Port Royal.

mooglebunni608
04-04-2006, 05:52 PM
those minigames were fun!! but I haffta get my drive gauge up to 5 so I can do the next song :(

Mercen-X
04-04-2006, 08:33 PM
...and for the next song you'll need Magnera and the song after that Thundaga. It's amazing. They just keep asking you for crap. Atlantica isn't the only world composed of minigames . . . that are cute if not worthless.
The three worlds that you reach by means other than Gummi travel are 100 Acre Wood, the Timeless River, and the Space Paranoids.

eternalshiva
04-04-2006, 10:14 PM
Pfft. Mini-games are fun, gets boring leveling.

Heartless Soul
04-05-2006, 11:53 PM
I guess that part of my hatred of the minigame is that The Little Mermaid is absolutely my least favorite Disney cartoon ever, and Ariel is easily my least favorite Disney main character. The lyrics weren't exactly Grammy worthy either - "We'll have a lot of finny fun" - Come on, people!
The Little Mermaid won some awards back in 1989, go figure. You really didn't have to play the level at all, unless you want to complete everything Jimminy's Journal to get the secert ending. With that, The Little Mermaid is a great Disney movie and can appeal to little kids, teenagers, adults and very old, old, old people. It's not as in the same level as say Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, but just like Aladdin. Ariel is also one of the few female leads that's independent and can take care of herself most of the time. She and the other leads in later films (Belle, Jasmine) pretty much broke the ''damsel in distress'' stereotype.

God damn it, I'm still now out of Twilight Town!

ehsteve
04-06-2006, 12:43 AM
Sorry for going off topic, but I'm going to disagree. Ariel may have been independent, but she was not a heroine like Belle and Jasmine. In fact, I would go so far as to classify Ariel as The Little Mermaid's main villain. She was born to a rich and powerful, albeit benevolent king, who also happened to be a loving and caring father. She has never worked a day in her life, and everything she has has been provided for her. Not only that, but everybody from King Triton down to Sebastian is working tirelessly to ensure her safety, welfare and happiness. But does Ariel care? No! Her attitude is best summised by her own song, "Part of their/your (I can never remember which one it is) world." She begins by singing about all of the wonderful things she has, then goes on to say "No big deal. I WANT MORE!"

She then proceeds to give the metaphorical middle finger to everyone who has worked so hard for her benefit. She disobeys her father's instructions, runs away from home, consults with a powerful witch who has a grudge against the palace, and ultimately puts the lives of the people she loves in mortal peril, all in pursuit of her own selfish desires. Ariel a hero? I think not! She was simply a greedy, self-centered, spoiled brat.

[/rant]

vampirepiggyhunter7
04-06-2006, 12:46 AM
HATE... ANGER..... RAGE.....
But the last one was cool. The lyrics were goofy but it sounded awesome!

Heartless Soul
04-06-2006, 02:24 AM
Ariel a hero? I think not! She was simply a greedy, self-centered, spoiled brat.
No, not really. Jasmine can fall into the same category too. Belle disobeyed the Beast orders. She was being rude and broke her promise. I could go on, but your ''criticisms'' for disliking/hating Ariel aren't that different that can be said for some of Disney's other heroines. However, this is the game we're talking about, not the movies. There's also a lot of symbolism in her character and probably more the ideal teenage girl who wants independence from her father. But it's not like you care any way.

YAY FOR LITTLE MERMAID!!!!!!!!

:D

Edit: Let's get back on topic! I didn't like the Atlantica musical. The way they remade the world was nice, but musical aspect...Ehhh..

ehsteve
04-06-2006, 03:27 AM
I know it's off topic, but I feel that a rebuttal is in order.

Even though it is true that Belle does have her faults, such as when she went into the forbidden west wing, her good aspects far outweigh them. Remember that Belle sacrificed her freedom to save her father's life. Contrast this with Ariel, who's actions turned her father into a little squid-fish thing, and there is no question who is the hero and who is, well, not.

BOO FOR LITTLE MERMAID!!!!!!!!

:mad2:

Acid Raine
04-06-2006, 03:52 AM

Even though it is true that Belle does have her faults, such as when she went into the forbidden west wing, her good aspects far outweigh them. Remember that Belle sacrificed her freedom to save her father's life. Contrast this with Ariel, who's actions turned her father into a little squid-fish thing, and there is no question who is the hero and who is, well, not.

*rudely butts in in a conversation that is not his*

Okay, you justified Belle. What about Jasmine? She did the same thing. She lived in a palace with no wants or needs, yet she wants MORE! So she abandones it all, not even bothering to tell anyone, and runs off on her own.

Anyways, I thought the Atlantica part was cute. The original songs were corny (Swim This Way, Ursula's Revenge, and A New Day is Dawning) but kind of fun. At least they followed the movie plot, unlike the first one. I only wish you could actually FIGHT Ursula

abrojtm
04-06-2006, 03:55 AM
How did Ariel manage to completely forget about Ursula between the course of KH and KHII?

Skyblade
04-06-2006, 04:06 AM

*rudely butts in in a conversation that is not his*

Okay, you justified Belle. What about Jasmine? She did the same thing. She lived in a palace with no wants or needs, yet she wants MORE! So she abandones it all, not even bothering to tell anyone, and runs off on her own.

Anyways, I thought the Atlantica part was cute. The original songs were corny (Swim This Way, Ursula's Revenge, and A New Day is Dawning) but kind of fun. At least they followed the movie plot, unlike the first one. I only wish you could actually FIGHT Ursula

At least she didn't screw the rest of the kingdom over when she ran away. Aladdin was the one who screwed the kingdom over, when he didn't keep his promise to Genie, thus letting Jafar get his hands on the lamp.

One thing I always wondered though. When Aladdin gets the lamp back, they make this big deal about him making the choice between freeing Genie or becoming a prince. Just hand Jasmine the lamp, let her wish Aladdin into a prince, then give it back to Aladdin, so that he can use his final wish to keep his promise.

How did Ariel manage to completely forget about Ursula between the course of KH and KHII?

What makes you think she did?

ehsteve
04-06-2006, 04:11 AM
OK, I'll admit - Jasmine is guilty of a lot of the same things that Ariel is guilty of. She did leave the palace against her father's wishes, and she did fall in love with Aladdin, who wasn't a prince. However, there are a few things that distinguish Jasmine from Ariel. First off, Jasmine didn't leave home to seek help from the bad guy of the story, so her actions didn't put anybody in danger. Second, Jasmine was brave, whereas Ariel was a coward. When Jafar took power, Jasmine did everything she could to put things right. Frankly, Ariel didn't do crap to help out when Ursula took over. Third, Jasmine was a good person. Even though she was esteemed royalty, she cared for the common, poor people of Agrabah. Fourth, and most important, Jasmine wasn't the main character of the story! The movie Aladdin is Aladdin's story, not Jasmine's story. Even though the princess is very important, she still plays second fiddle to the Diamond in the Rough.

Every character has faults, and Disney characters are no exception. As much as I like Aladdin, Jasmine, Belle, et al, I realize that they are not perfect, and that they make mistakes. What I hate about Ariel is that, even though she is the "Hero" of the story, she has no good qualities of any value to her name. None. Zero. Well, she is pretty cute, but that doesn't exactly count.

DMKA
04-06-2006, 09:23 AM
The Little Mermaid was one of Disney's best, heathens. Certainly not om par with The Lion King though.

SeeDRankLou
04-06-2006, 07:53 PM
Sorry for going off topic, but I'm going to disagree. Ariel may have been independent, but she was not a heroine like Belle and Jasmine. In fact, I would go so far as to classify Ariel as The Little Mermaid's main villain. She was born to a rich and powerful, albeit benevolent king, who also happened to be a loving and caring father. She has never worked a day in her life, and everything she has has been provided for her. Not only that, but everybody from King Triton down to Sebastian is working tirelessly to ensure her safety, welfare and happiness. But does Ariel care? No! Her attitude is best summised by her own song, "Part of their/your (I can never remember which one it is) world." She begins by singing about all of the wonderful things she has, then goes on to say "No big deal. I WANT MORE!"

She then proceeds to give the metaphorical middle finger to everyone who has worked so hard for her benefit. She disobeys her father's instructions, runs away from home, consults with a powerful witch who has a grudge against the palace, and ultimately puts the lives of the people she loves in mortal peril, all in pursuit of her own selfish desires. Ariel a hero? I think not! She was simply a greedy, self-centered, spoiled brat.

[/rant]

Oh talk about taking stuff out of context and only watching half of the movie. If you are honestly going to bring Ariel's class in this movie as a way of making her look bad then you obviously have no idea what it's about. Ariel being a princess and having everything provided for her and not having to work or anything is just the way the story was written, that doesn't make her spoiled that just makes her a princess, that's what happens when you're a princess. Since this was her life however, she has never been given the chance to know anything of responsibilty or worry, which is not her fault, it's her father's. And this is coupled with Triton being, in typical father-daughter fashion, very overly protective of her. Being confined to just the palace, when there's are vast seas and oceans to see, and everything else made Ariel feel isolated and trapped. When she expressed this to her father, her father, in typical father-daughter fashion, just yelled and said that she needs to listen to him "because he said so." This pushed Ariel away and made her feel alone, and coupled with her life not know of responsibility, she had no idea the repercussions of her actions in the movie. To say that Ariel did this of selfish reasons is one of the more ridiculous things I've ever heard in my life.

This story is about a father being too overprotective and pushing his daughter away, when if he had just been honest with her and honest with himself about the fact that she was growing up then maybe none of this would have happened. If anyone could be considered the villain it could be Triton, not Ariel. (not that either of those two are, seriously)

Oh and by the way, when Ariel is singing Part of Your World, and she say "No big deal, I want more," she is referring to all of the stuff that she had collected in her little grove, not her life. And you say Triton on down to Sebastian....well Sebastian was Triton's right hand man so to say, so that's....two characters. Way to watch the movie.

Back on Topic
I thought the first song was the best. Did anyone else get like three times the required score for the last song?

Heartless Soul
04-06-2006, 08:21 PM
The Little Mermaid was one of Disney's best, heathens. Certainly not om par with The Lion King though.
And Beauty and the Beast. Little Mermaid and Aladdin are two Disney's best, but don't compare to probably two of the most critically acclaimed of the 1990s. Good thing about Disney is a lot of their movies, although can be considered crap, have their own charm. Hercules isn't anything special, but to me, James Wood as Hades, DeVito as Phil + a sarcastic heroine given somewhat of a sexy, seductive personality is A++. *sighs* Disney after Lion King didn't make box-office smashes like that, but at least some concepts used were interesting and original. Now it's almost crap.

Back on topic:

It would've been better had they hired the original voice actor for Sebastian. Think of the wonders!

Skyblade
04-06-2006, 09:24 PM

[/rant]

Oh talk about taking stuff out of context and only watching half of the movie. If you are honestly going to bring Ariel's class in this movie as a way of making her look bad then you obviously have no idea what it's about. Ariel being a princess and having everything provided for her and not having to work or anything is just the way the story was written, that doesn't make her spoiled that just makes her a princess, that's what happens when you're a princess. Since this was her life however, she has never been given the chance to know anything of responsibilty or worry, which is not her fault, it's her father's. And this is coupled with Triton being, in typical father-daughter fashion, very overly protective of her. Being confined to just the palace, when there's are vast seas and oceans to see, and everything else made Ariel feel isolated and trapped. When she expressed this to her father, her father, in typical father-daughter fashion, just yelled and said that she needs to listen to him "because he said so." This pushed Ariel away and made her feel alone, and coupled with her life not know of responsibility, she had no idea the repercussions of her actions in the movie. To say that Ariel did this of selfish reasons is one of the more ridiculous things I've ever heard in my life.

This story is about a father being too overprotective and pushing his daughter away, when if he had just been honest with her and honest with himself about the fact that she was growing up then maybe none of this would have happened. If anyone could be considered the villain it could be Triton, not Ariel. (not that either of those two are, seriously)

Oh and by the way, when Ariel is singing Part of Your World, and she say "No big deal, I want more," she is referring to all of the stuff that she had collected in her little grove, not her life. And you say Triton on down to Sebastian....well Sebastian was Triton's right hand man so to say, so that's....two characters. Way to watch the movie.

Back on Topic
I thought the first song was the best. Did anyone else get like three times the required score for the last song?

The interesting thing is, the situation that Ariel is in is almost the exact same situation as Jasmine is in. Yet look at the way the two of them handle it. Sure, Jasmine runs away from home and upsets a lot of people, but that's it. Ariel goes and basically makes a pact with the devil. Sorry, but even ignoring their situation, Ariel clearly doesn't make the best decisions. Hell, at least Jasmine talked to Aladdin before she decided she was in love with him. Ariel just looked at Eric, went all ga-ga, and decided to screw over everyone else just to be with him.

SeeDRankLou
04-06-2006, 09:37 PM
The interesting thing is, the situation that Ariel is in is almost the exact same situation as Jasmine is in. Yet look at the way the two of them handle it. Sure, Jasmine runs away from home and upsets a lot of people, but that's it. Ariel goes and basically makes a pact with the devil. Sorry, but even ignoring their situation, Ariel clearly doesn't make the best decisions. Hell, at least Jasmine talked to Aladdin before she decided she was in love with him. Ariel just looked at Eric, went all ga-ga, and decided to screw over everyone else just to be with him.
I never meant to imply the Ariel's decision was a smart one, far from it. It wasn't what she did, it was what drove her to do it. And though their situations were strikingly similar, their reasons for running away were very different. And Ariel didn't decide to screw everyone else over, just as Jasmine didn't. They were both feeling isolated and alone, and doubtfully thought that their abscence would disturb anyone.

Acid Raine
04-06-2006, 09:40 PM
0_0 wow. These are excellent opinions. So good, I have changed my opinion on Ariel. Sure she is hot, but in the end, she is just a selfish 16 year old. But keep in mind, Ursula was out to get Ariel. She sent Flotsam and Jetsam to get her when she's down, make Ursula sound like a savior, and Ursula tricked her into thinking that the agreement would work (which it would have, if Ursula hadnt have sabotaged it.) But, Ariel is still to blame because she chose Eric over her kingdom, which is smurfed up.

ehsteve
04-06-2006, 10:06 PM

Which brings me to my next point. Triton was overprotective of Ariel, and he limited her freedoms. However, Triton was RIGHT! If Ariel had obeyed her father, none of the terrible things that happened in the movie would have occured. Sure, it is natural for a girl of Ariel's age to want to get out and be free, but it would have behooved everybody around her to have listened to the king, who had more experience and had seen much more of life, and was therefore more wise.

Also, the main character of the story usually learns from their mistakes and is a better person by the end of the film than they were at the beginning. Ariel, however, did just the opposite. Instead of realizing that not everything is about her, she adopts an "I told you so" attitude.

It is true that I am looking at the problem from only one perspective. Ariel may have some compelling reasons to justify her vain and foolish actions. However, since I have never been a bratty teenage girl, I naturally have a difficult time seeing things from her point of view.

In fact, here's a challenge: Point out one time when Ariel did something selfless. I doubt that you will find anything significant. Throughout the entire movie, her only concern was "ME! ME! ME! I! I! I!"

I know what you're saying - "That's not true! That's impossible!"
Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

DMKA
04-06-2006, 10:10 PM
Little Mermaid and Aladdin are two Disney's best, but don't compare to probably two of the most critically acclaimed of the 1990s.
You actually give a flying crap about critical acclaim? I certainly don't.

ehsteve
04-06-2006, 10:39 PM
Hear, hear! However, even though the critics raved over Beauty and the Beast, it is still my favorite Disney cartoon, hands down.

Acid Raine
04-06-2006, 10:42 PM
Hm......I'd have to go for Aladdin. Mainly because the lead male isnt some guy who just kinda hangs around clueless for most of the movie and has the girl do all the work to get to him. (i.e. Little Mermaid or Cinderella)

Heartless Soul
04-06-2006, 10:59 PM
Little Mermaid and Aladdin are two Disney's best, but don't compare to probably two of the most critically acclaimed of the 1990s.
Lion King is one of those ''critically acclaimed'' movies that you refer as crap. And no, I don't care because if that were true, I would've never said Disney movies after Lion King (which is considered the ''downfall') still were good and have their own charm. I'll say that ALL Disney movies from 1989-1999 were ALL great IMHO.

As for the issue of Ariel, I think disobeying her father probably shows her what some teenage girls are like. At least back then with all the ''rebels''. Ariel may have not thought of her kingdom, but SHE did think about her sisters. Problem is the movie didn't go too much into detail about, as it would take up time and such. I could say that NONE of it would've never happend if Ursula didn't scheme against Triton to begin with. Something like that could be said for Jasmine.

And last time I remember, I thought it was the oceans that were threatened, not the world or Atlantica. Hell, the only people that were in ''risk'' were the merpeople Ursula TRICKED to make deals with her. Yeah, let's all agree Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and Lion King are all great classics EVEN if some don't like them all. I do, but then again, I like Disney in general.

;)

BTW, great opinions and thoughts everybody! It seems that out of the 3, Belle is the most mature of them all.

ehsteve
04-07-2006, 02:31 AM
I could say that NONE of it would've never happend if Ursula didn't scheme against Triton to begin with.
Ursula is bad news, there's no doubt about that. However, one very interesting aspect of the movie is that Ursula never hurt anybody without getting their permission first. Sure, she would offer, tempt, and entice, but she never went in for the kill (so to speak) until the victims willingly agreed to her terms. Random, I know, but I thought it seemed relevant to the conversation.

Zeromus_X
04-07-2006, 03:07 AM
Anyway...yeah, I thought the Little Mermaid was a pretty good flick. :cat:

But yeah, I may not go back to Atlantica any time soon. Unless the rewards for those songs are good (other than completion and the secret ending.). I suck at them for whatever reason, and if I suck at something, I don't really care for it that much. Not that the songs are kinda cute. :love: :cat:

I do have a question (since I skimmed through all the film arguements, don't know if it was answered.)

Do you get to fight Ursula and co. and Heartless in Atlantica? Or is there any fighting at all? I watched the beginning scene and keep trying the first musical, but I just left Atlantica alone to go to Kitty Land.:cat:

Although it looks like the worlds will follow more or less the story in the movies, albeit super-condensed and not really able to capture that much emotion since the game is kinda easy. :p

Skyblade
04-07-2006, 07:47 AM
If you suck at the music mini-games, then the battle against Ursula will be fairly difficult. That's right, the battle against Ursula is there, but it is another musical minigame.

Anyway, you can't get Curaga without completing Atlantica, so...

DMKA
04-07-2006, 10:37 AM
Lion King is one of those ''critically acclaimed'' movies that you refer as crap. And no, I don't care because if that were true, I would've never said Disney movies after Lion King (which is considered the ''downfall') still were good and have their own charm. I'll say that ALL Disney movies from 1989-1999 were ALL great IMHO.
I never said any movie was crap. I said I don't give a crap about what critics say.