PDA

View Full Version : Pronounciation issues

Reine
04-05-2006, 06:26 AM
Im wondering here, how many of you get annoyed with pronounciation issues?

Like someone blatantly says something wrong because its "how he says it" or it sounds wrong compared to what it should sound like, you know, people misprounounce things, and it can be annoying. The most common thing for me is names, especially my own name, which is understandable, as its a mouthful (although my new name makes it a bit easier). My old name Andreil, no one ever got it right, but I didnt care, as it was close enough, but my new name, everyone assumes its pronounced Rain, and when I correct them, they munt it up by dragging it out, its most annoying..

Im kinda a pronounciation freak, and I tend to correct people, although I am unable to say some things properly, for some reason, i cant make the little sound that distinguishes "three" from "free" and my mum always ridicules me for it..

The other night, I was have a voice conversation with this british girl, and she attemptd to pronce my full name, she failed so badly, I almost died of laughter, I couldnt breathe XD

"Reen Mel-keeth-ay Dark-storn"

XD she mananged to get the last name right, but with the accent it sounded hilarious, but the first two name attempts are just silly. My first name is Ree-ayne, but when said normally, sounds a little like Rain, but when I correct people, they start saying it exactly like that, drawn out, and it sounds silly, which is why its really annoying

Anyway, what things to do hate about pronounciation, and such?

Lychon
04-05-2006, 07:19 AM
I don't really have a problem with the way people choose to pronounce their words, as long as it is discernible. When it comes to my avatar name, just take a look at my signature. :D

-LYCHON

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-05-2006, 07:23 AM
I am horrible at pronouciation at times, just ask Lord Xehanort (he corrects me at times). Though there have been times when I have been right. (Very few times...)

Ballistix Man
04-05-2006, 07:29 AM
Hmm aside from people saying chicken niggets where I live I've never encountered it.

Shauna
04-05-2006, 11:27 AM
People just... CAN'T pronounce my name, it used to bother me, but just not anymore. I don't ever let it bother me. As long as I know they're talking to me, whatever. But, if it's people I've known for ages and they STILL pronounce my name wrong... that's when I get annoyed. xD

For the record... it's pronounced like you would pronounce 'Shaun' then 'ah'. (With an 'aw' sound at the 'au'. ...If that makes it any easier to understand?)
NOT pronounced like 'Shona' with an 'oh' sound at the 'au'.

Yeah. :cool:

Captain Maxx Power
04-05-2006, 11:46 AM
It's all about your accent at the end of the day. The number of times I've ordered Chicken in my sandwich when I said Tuna at cafes round London is probably about twelve. It really doesn't bother me. I prefer Chicken over Tuna anyway.

Shauna
04-05-2006, 12:05 PM
It's all about your accent at the end of the day. The number of times I've ordered Chicken in my sandwich when I said Tuna at cafes round London is probably about twelve. It really doesn't bother me. I prefer Chicken over Tuna anyway.

...I guess? But, the people who pronounce my name wrong all have the same, or similar accents to me. So... yeah. :D

Reine
04-05-2006, 12:32 PM
NOT pronounced like 'Shona' with an 'oh' sound at the 'au'.

uh, im probably totally wrong here, but the way you described that, looks a bit like "oh no" but with "sho" instead of oh

Anyway, I thought it was Shaun-ah myself (That is correct right?) (But not dragged out of course)

Shaun
04-05-2006, 12:51 PM
Apparently lots of foreign people get my name wrong. But hah, I don't like pronunciation freaks - especially when they don't spell the word itself correctly, and especially when they sometimes don't say things properly anyway! =D

Ah, I remember back in Year 10. There was this REALLY annoying pseudo-intellectual guy called 'Mat' and we were debating about Golden Sun. We were debating about the word 'Psynergy'.

I kept on telling him that it was pronounced 'psy-ner-gee' but he kept on saying that it was 'sih-ner-gee'. I told him that synergy was pronounced like that, but 'psynergy' is pronounced with 'psy' at the start. I also recall him calling 'Re-no' 'Reeno'. Rofl. What a goon.

Ballistix Man
04-05-2006, 12:54 PM
Sinergy is spelled with an I

Shaun
04-05-2006, 12:57 PM
Um.

http://www.answers.com/synergy&r=67

Ballistix Man
04-05-2006, 12:58 PM
My bad.
Bad Sobe, Bad

Shauna
04-05-2006, 01:01 PM
uh, im probably totally wrong here, but the way you described that, looks a bit like "oh no" but with "sho" instead of oh

Anyway, I thought it was Shaun-ah myself (That is correct right?) (But not dragged out of course)

Yeah, but everyone can say a 'sh' sound. xD It is 'sho', but it's only the 'au' part that people seem to have a problem with saying.

And, yes, it is said like that. ^_^ People in other countries seem to be able to say my name right, just not people here. :cool:

Shaun
04-05-2006, 01:02 PM
It's 'sho' with a Scottish accent. With an English accent, it's more like 'shau' - how it should be said. So, you would say my name like Shoan? O.o'

Shauna
04-05-2006, 01:08 PM
Who said anything about accents? People can pronounce my name right if they are told how it's said. xD It's just that the name 'Shona' and the way it is pronounced is way more common than 'Shauna' and the way it's pronounced. So, people look at my name and think it's just an odd way of spelling 'Shona' and it's pronounced the same way as 'Shona'.
People would say your name... as it's meant to be pronounced. How else can you pronounce Shaun?

Shaun
04-05-2006, 01:12 PM
...You don't wanna know.

Reine
04-05-2006, 01:14 PM
You keep out of this Shauna clone! XD

Anyway, I would hate it if people called me something like "shono/shauno" depending on what kind of accent you have (shauno, ha, thats what I called myself in those #eoff Shauna spiting wars)

Anyway, regarding accents, I know what you mean, im used to New Zealand accents(Which I assure you, is NOT that "fush and chups" thing I keep seeing)

Meat Puppet
04-05-2006, 01:16 PM
I just can't do it.

Shaun
04-05-2006, 01:20 PM
You keep out of this Shauna clone! XD

Technically, I am NOT the clone. ;) The name Shaun came first. The girls' version, Shauna, came after.

Shaun > Shauna

As I have said hundreds (almost) of times, I'm entitled to use my name on a forum. ;) Especially given the fact it's the real, valid name.

Reine
04-05-2006, 01:25 PM
I know, I mean, I use my name too.

Its just a joke going on around here as you know

Giga Guess
04-05-2006, 01:26 PM
Bad spellingirks me more than bad pronnciation....mainly cuz i have a habit of making up words.....especially if I'm tired.

Ballistix Man
04-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Bad spellingirks me more than bad pronnciation....mainly cuz i have a habit of making up words.....especially if I'm tired.
<!--I cunfunderstand.-->

Don't spam, especially just to mock others.

~Void

Mo-Nercy
04-05-2006, 02:36 PM
My surname 'Huang' is pronounced hwah-ng not hoo-wang.

Polaris
04-05-2006, 02:49 PM
I odn't get upset with the pronounciations, I even play with them! ^^ We have to keep the good mood and I use to play with almost everything so if somenone spells smth wrong or has a different pronounciation I always play with it...

Shaun
04-05-2006, 03:36 PM
My surname 'Huang' is pronounced hwah-ng not hoo-wang.

I knew that. ;) My pronunciation surely ain't too shabby then.

starseeker
04-05-2006, 03:51 PM
I also pronounce 'three' as 'free'. My mum mocks me so often. I also find short 'a' sounds in 'can't' and 'fast' annoying. The difficulties of being a Londoner.

boris no no
04-05-2006, 04:00 PM
During a mass drinking event I met my friends American friend. She was very nice but we all ended up having a massive arguement about American pronouciation
She said we said bananna wrong because we draw out the ahhhh in the middle.
We were also saying about how crazy the UK is about accents, you only have to travel about 15 miles and the accents start to change. I mean nearly every friend of mine pronounces things differently to me

mad

escobert
04-05-2006, 04:24 PM
We were also saying about how crazy the UK is about accents, you only have to travel about 15 miles and the accents start to change. I mean nearly every friend of mine pronounces things differently to me

mad
it's similar in the US, I can tell the difference between someone form mass or New York compared to someone form Vermont or New Hampshire. and all of our states are nwxt to eachother.

Raistlin
04-05-2006, 05:04 PM
I also recall him calling 'Re-no' 'Reeno'. Rofl. What a goon.
That actually is how it's pronounced.

I'm horrible at pronunciations. Back in grade school, the vast majority of my vocabularly came from reading, so I never actually heard the word used. This resulted in such amusing phonetic pronunciations as "ep-ih-tome" for epitome and fah-cade (for facade).

Shaun
04-05-2006, 05:20 PM

I don't think so. In Japan, the 'Re' would be pronounced 'Reh'. Hence how the vowels sound. There's no stretch sound in Reno in Japanese either, so it wouldn't sound different.

Raistlin
04-05-2006, 05:35 PM

I don't think so. In Japan, the 'Re' would be pronounced 'Reh'. Hence how the vowels sound. There's no stretch sound in Reno in Japanese either, so it wouldn't sound different.
Quite possibly. But that actually is a name in English and it's pronounced Ree-no, so the mistake (if it is one) is quite plausible.

starseeker
04-05-2006, 06:10 PM
I pronounce it ree-no. I wasn't aware there was any other way of saying it.

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-05-2006, 06:47 PM
I'm horrible at pronunciations. Back in grade school, the vast majority of my vocabularly came from reading, so I never actually heard the word used. This resulted in such amusing phonetic pronunciations as "ep-ih-tome" for epitome and fah-cade (for facade).

That happened to me at times to. Like "piety" and other words.

Also in grade 9 our English teacher used to put our vocabulary words in the chalkboard. That day I came into class and saw the word "bellyache". I never clued into the word, so I broke it in my mind as "bell-yache" (bel-ya-chee) instead of "belly-ache" (bel-lee-ah-khe). I was so embaressed afterwards. The class had a good laugh too, because I just had to say it out loud when I asked the teacher what a "bel-ya-chee" was.

Reine
04-05-2006, 06:51 PM
So someone else cant say the three/free thing either? Yay, im not alone!

Raistlin, thats EXACTLY how I used to think they were pronounced..XD

Zeldy
04-05-2006, 06:56 PM
Yes. This lad from my school says my name as "Airr-meh". He's got the full St Helens accent =P

But yeah, its all accents. I find some words difficult to say due to my accent, like Better. I say Better like the "t's" don't exist. "Beh'er" :(
Shauna knows how bad my accent is xD

Shauna
04-05-2006, 07:05 PM
As I have said hundreds (almost) of times, I'm entitled to use my name on a forum. Especially given the fact it's the real, valid name.

Yeah, I can use me own name too, which I AM in fact doing. It's also a real, valid name! So yeah, stop saying that. :) :rolleyes2

Yes. Well, actually no. I just know how terrifying your laugh is! :cool:

Zeldy
04-05-2006, 07:06 PM
As I have said hundreds (almost) of times, I'm entitled to use my name on a forum. Especially given the fact it's the real, valid name.

Yeah, I can use me own name too, which I AM in fact doing. It's also a real, valid name! So yeah, stop saying that. :) :rolleyes2

xD I don't laugh like that anymore.

Your the one who said "AY"

Shauna
04-05-2006, 07:07 PM

SURE YOU DON'T! :greenie: Well, 'AYE' isn't that funny a word. I don't see why you had to laugh for 5 minutes! :p

Reine
04-05-2006, 07:08 PM
When i was about 7, one of my best friends was a girl named Amy, so i have no trouble at all with that name, im surprised that anyone can O_o

EDIT: Aye? My friend says that all the time now, its like he thinks hes a pirate (Well, thats what I asociate Aye with, go figure)

Zeldy
04-05-2006, 07:10 PM

SURE YOU DON'T! :greenie: Well, 'AYE' isn't that funny a word. I don't see why you had to laugh for 5 minutes! :p
I'd never heard anyone say "Aye" before! >_<
IT SOUNDED SO SCOTTISH

Yeah, he said it right, kinda, as best he can. I tried to make him say it properly, it was impossible xD

Reine
04-05-2006, 07:16 PM
XDD I can imagine it now, in a scottish accent

ROFL LMAO

Oh man, xDDD

Shoden
04-05-2006, 07:26 PM
Try a difference between Geordie and Cockney accents, the pronounciations are different, very different.

Shauna
04-05-2006, 07:38 PM
I'd never heard anyone say "Aye" before! >_<
IT SOUNDED SO SCOTTISH

Well, SORRY I'm from Scotland. :mad2:

Reine
04-05-2006, 07:42 PM
Aye! how true! XDDD

*makes a joke about scottish*

Rye
04-05-2006, 08:13 PM
I pronounce things very differently from a lot of people here since I have a cool Queens accent and they had dumb this area of NY accents. They say dog with the vowels pure, but kind of whiny, but I say "Daaaawg" and other words like coffee, Harry, orange, etc. :)

Spiffing Cheese
04-05-2006, 09:27 PM
When I was younger I had quite a big problem with pronunciation. I don't know that was, but it was FUNNY. I once said to my mother, "What's a fishmonger?" and I actually said the 'mong' as MONG. :(

Since I'm Welsh, I say a lot of things differently to how others would say them. 'Pouffe' (as in the fluffy stool thing) is 'puffy'. :cool:

Giga Guess
04-06-2006, 01:00 AM
<!--I cunfunderstand.-->

Don't spam, especially just to mock others.

~Void

I can imagine what was written here, and bearing in mind it was written early morning, bear with me. No coffee was consumed at this point.