PDA

View Full Version : Laptop question

Newbie7
04-05-2006, 07:11 PM
Hi, I've been a big FF fan for years but only recently I've decided to give FFXI a go. The only problem is that with my current PC I have next to no chance of it working, not very well anyway. Since I'm going to uni in September I thought I'd buy a new laptop so I could commute and also play computer games. After looking around I found this laptop:

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/572_287903.html

I was wondering if all you FFXI veterans could tell me if it was up to scratch, as far as I can tell it meets all system requirements but I've heard some complaints about FFXI on laptops before and just wanted to make sure.

Cheers

PS: I know there's a topic telling us not to post asking these sorts of questions and instead telling us to download the program that checks how compatable the computer is, but I've obviously not bought the laptop yet and this seemed the only other way.

PPS: Please don't hit me for it :cry:

Flying Mullet
04-05-2006, 07:22 PM
You should be fine with that laptop. You won't be able to do the highest graphics settings but it will play the game just fine. I played FFXI on a laptop with a 2 Ghz processor, 1 Gig of RAM and a 32MB dedicated graphics card and as long as I didn't go overboard on particle effects and such it ran just fine.

Miriel
04-05-2006, 08:36 PM
The only problems I have playing on a laptop is that mine overheats a lot. And also my graphics card is so bad that sometimes I'm absolutely bewildered when I see screenshots from other people and I think, "FFXI looks like THAT??"

But these are problems that are more specific to my laptop than laptops in general. I hate Dells. The other thing that is bothersome is the fact that my laptop doesn't have a seperate keypad, so I'm always having to press the fn key in order to run around and such.

Rostum
04-05-2006, 10:56 PM
You can get a lot of high-end notebooks. Sager make them, as do VoodooPC and Hypersonic. Of course they are pretty expensive, but they are very good (I'm getting a Sager 5720 dual core once it comes). There are a few 15.4" notebooks with numpads if you can find them, but nearly all 17" and 19" ones have them.

I think you should be able to play FFXI with this notebook you've shown us. But if you're willing to spend a bit extra, you can get better ones.

escobert
04-06-2006, 06:17 PM
I play on a laptop with 1GB RAM, 2.8 Pentium 4 witha Radeon mobility 9600 128 mb video card and it runs just fine. except in the middle of Sandy in peek hours I have a bit of lag.

Rostum
04-06-2006, 11:45 PM
Ewww, P4 in a laptop? >.<;

escobert
04-07-2006, 03:26 PM
I know :( I hate it.

Varthavis__Sam
04-23-2006, 05:49 AM
I played on a laptop for a while... BUt now i got the 360 and it blows it away..