PDA

View Full Version : mp3 diffrence?

Tifa's Real Lover(really
04-05-2006, 10:03 PM
whats the diffrence between 128 kbps and 320 kbps? and VBR

does it sound better in WMA or MP3 file?

Samuraid
04-05-2006, 10:18 PM
In general, MP3 takes the original uncompressed audio source (such as a CD) and removes information to make the size of the file smaller. The process with which it does this is somewhat complex to describe, but it basically degrades the audio quality slightly from the original audio source. The higher the bitrate, the closer to the original the MP3 file is.

Thus, 320kbps sounds closer to the original (better) than a 128kbps file. Generally, with anything 192kbps and above, it's hard for most people to distinguish the difference between the original audio and the MP3. (although some people can)

VBR means variable bitrate. Normally, MP3 files are encoded at a constant bitrate (CBR), a certain number of bits per second. Variable bitrate allows the MP3 encoder to vary the bitrate depending on how complex the audio waveform is, which can allow certain MP3 files to get encoded more efficiently.

Yamaneko
04-05-2006, 10:49 PM
I find I can distinguish up to 256kbps, which is why I try to encode all my uncompressed audio at that bitrate or in OGG format. I've been waiting for OGG to catch on for years now. Great format.

Good thing to note is that there's no point in reencoding a compressed audio track (for example when you split a track up) to a bitrate higher than the original. You'll just end up with a bigger file with lots of useless data. I generally frown upon reencoding compressed audio in general.

Samuraid
04-06-2006, 08:02 AM
I find I can distinguish up to 256kbps
That's one of the advantages to having a great pair of speakers. :D

rubah
04-07-2006, 12:01 AM
Even if it is a high bitrate, if you re-encode it several times the quality will still go down.

I generally go for 196. I don't have a fancy stereo system of any sort, so that's good enough for me.

starseeker
04-07-2006, 01:49 PM
I don't notice the quality unless it's down at 16 or 32kbps