PDA

View Full Version : Roleplay Rules - Please read before posting in roleplays

Behold the Void
04-07-2006, 06:20 AM
Greetings ladies and gents! Today's topic will be roleplays. Specifically, the dos and don'ts of posting RPs in this forum. Please read and remember all of the rules, for if you do not follow them, bad things will happen. And we don't want that.

Rules for Players:

1. Be courteous to the RP's creator (Game Master) and respect their wishes. The creator of an RP has the final say in what does and does not go in their RP. If you have been asked not to post, please do so and find another RP. This also applies to following the rules that the thread creator has set down to make sure that everybody is playing on the same level and playing fairly.

2. Do not control another player's character or a non-player character (characters who aren't necessarily major characters but are controlled by the GM) unless explicitly given permission to do so. Unless you are told you may do otherwise, you do not have control over any character other than your own, and it is very rude to control another person's character.

3. Do not auto-hit/auto dodge. This rule can be bypassed by an RP maker's own rules, but as a general rule do not assume that any attack you have made against another character, be they a player or not, actually hits the target. Again, it is very rude to decide that the character is suddenly stabbed or struck blind or killed or whatever because you just did it to them without giving them a chance to block, evade, or counter. Likewise, don't assume that you are impervious to being damaged. Your character cannot dodge or block every attack thrown at you, so don't so say they can.

4. Do not god-mod. This includes things like pulling out powerful weapons that you never had before, blocking or dodging attacks in ways that shouldn't be possible, and using attacks that exceed the limits of your character's power.

5. Do not metagame. If you know something your character does not, your character doesn't suddenly gain this advantage. He or she has to find out whatever it is in-game before they may use the knowledge.

6. Stick to your original sign-up sheet. After you've established what your character has, don't go modifying that without the permission of your Game Master.

7. Post more than just 1-line mini-conversations. A roleplay is about playing a part in a story, and if you're just using the thread to spam you shouldn't be roleplaying.

8. Use appropriate grammar and spelling. Nobody expects you to be perfect, but if you type completely unintelligible posts, it slows the game down dramatically because nobody can understand you. Try to type legibly and use appropriate grammar as a courtesy to other players. This doesn't forbid you from doing things like accents and the like to further your character, that is encouraged. However, when posting strictly informatively, your posts should always be readable.

Rules for Game Masters:

1. You may only have one active thread that you have created at a time. If you wish to make another RP, request that a mod (preferably myself) close your old RP. Also, out of courtesy, warn your players before you do so.

2. Submit a clear sign-up sheet for players to go by. This should include things such as physical descriptions (hair and eye color, flesh tones, build, typical garments), some sort of history or backstory (family, friends, past. Also note that "dark and mysterious" histories should not be permitted as they allow players to make up whatever they want whenever it suits them), some kind of personality entry (motivations, goals, hopes, dreams, behavior), and, if specified in the rules, equipment and abilities.

3. Establish enough of a story and situation for a roleplay. Roleplays that have little or no story and plot will be closed. If you include statistics and other figures, also include rules as to how the numbers function and interact with each other.

4. Do not make a roleplay with a storyline that closely mirrors or outright copies a preexisting roleplay. We do not need several threads of the same roleplay at a time.

5. If your RP is closed, DO NOT MAKE IT AGAIN. It was closed for a reason, and closed it will remain. You may make another RP if you so wish, but consider the closed RP to be finished.

Pheesh
04-07-2006, 08:16 AM
maybe you should have something about not using a pre-existing idea just because you think it would be too hard to join that thread. Otherwise you may end up having 5 rp's with the same basic plot.

Stay Esential
EE

Heero Yuy NWZC
04-07-2006, 08:59 AM
*salutes with all seriousness* I shall do my best sir, and thank you.

Black Angel
04-07-2006, 02:14 PM
:D :up: Got it!

Behold the Void
04-07-2006, 02:52 PM
maybe you should have something about not using a pre-existing idea just because you think it would be too hard to join that thread. Otherwise you may end up having 5 rp's with the same basic plot.

Stay Esential
EE

Good idea, I'll add that now.

*salutes with all seriousness* I shall do my best ma'am, and thank you.

"Ma'am?" Last I checked I was quite far from female.

Twilight Edge
04-07-2006, 04:14 PM
Hey,I read the GM rules and it said that there could only be one active RP at a time.So does that mean I have to close one of my RPs?

Heero Yuy NWZC
04-07-2006, 04:14 PM
Oh, sorry. My mind was stuck in something else and I accidentally put that.

Behold the Void
04-07-2006, 06:05 PM
Hey,I read the GM rules and it said that there could only be one active RP at a time.So does that mean I have to close one of my RPs?

Yes it does. PMs should be going out today and all GMs who are running multiple RPs will have to pick one that will remain open.

Mercen-X
04-08-2006, 12:10 AM
A startling coincidence, Void-maestro. I had drawn up a list of Text-RP gaming "sins" of which I had in mind a total of seven. Not just because of the "Seven Deadly Sins" but because I had seven topics of interest when it came to rules. However, I spent so much time on the first six . . . I forgot what the seventh was. It's funny, now, to see that you have a total of seven rules for players.
Rules for Players:

2. Do not control another player's character or an non-player character (characters who aren't necessarily major characters but are controlled by the GM) unless explicitly given permission to do so. Unless you are told you may do otherwise, you do not have control over any character other than your own, and it is very rude to control another person's character.
To elaborate, this can mean something as important as dictating what another character does in the game or it could be something as simple as discerning their personal reactions to your characters actions.

3. Do not auto-hit. This rule can be bypassed by an RP maker's own rules, but as a general rule, do not assume that any attack you have made against another characte (be they a player or not) actually hits the target. Again, it is very rude to decide that the character is suddenly stabbed or struck blind or killed or whatever because you just did it to them without giving them a chance to block, evade, or counter.
This can also be considered taking control of a character other than your own. However, it also means that you cannot assume what happens to your character.

4. Do not god-mod. This includes things like pulling out powerful weapons that you never had before, blocking or dodging attacks in ways that shouldn't be possible, and using attacks that exceed the limits of your character's power.
I refer to it as "the Marry Poppins Magic Bag" rule. Just because you think of something that would be cool, doesn't mean you should do it. At the least, you should get permission from the Game Master first.

6. Stick to your original sign-up sheet. After you've established what your character has, don't go modifying that without the permission of your Game Master.
Depending on the RP, your Game Master may modify your characters according to the flow of the story or . . . you may not be able to change at all. It's up to them.

7. Post more than just 1-line mini-conversations. A roleplay is about playing a part in a story, and if you're just using the thread to spam you shouldn't be roleplaying.
These are actually all right few and far between. However, you should only need a 1-liner if you are asked a question or need to ask a question . . . but even then, be realistic. Try to at least think of how your character would physically react in a conversation, even a short one.

Rules for Game Masters:

1. You may only have one active thread that you have created at a time. If you wish to make another RP, request that a mod (preferably myself) close your old RP. Also, out of courtesy, warn your players before you do so.
It's rude to be missing from an RP because your ruling over another.

2. Submit a clear sign-up sheet for players to go by. This should include things such as physical descriptions (hair and eye color, flesh tones, build, typical garments), some sort of history or backstory (family, friends, past. Also note that "dark and mysterious" histories should not be permitted as they allow players to make up whatever they want whenever it suits them), some kind of personality entry (motivations, goals, hopes, dreams, behavior), and, if specified in the rules, equipment and abilities.
"Dark and mysterious" is fine as a personality attribute. However, a character's backstory should include at least a week's worth of events that lead up to their current situation. Any skills or attributes or weapon knowledge should be conveyed in the backstory. It doesn't matter if the character is amnesiac. Just because they don't remember doesn't mean that their past didn't happen. The Game Master can include NCPs that have connections to the character if he so chooses. The player does not dictate the story, no matter how cool he thinks his character is.

3. Establish enough of a story and situation for a roleplay. Roleplays that have little or no story and plot will be closed.
History
Current Events
Immediate Situation
Plot
Conclusion - only if you want to close an RP in a respectable way.

Behold the Void
04-08-2006, 07:45 AM
Further discussion has warranted a decision that all existing RPs will be left open unless they are in violation of the rules, even if there are multiple RPs under the same GM.

TheAbominatrix
04-09-2006, 11:55 AM
Would it be okay if you added the need to put the [RP] key in the title? To stress it at least. I know those of us going to the writers forum to read stories or whatever dont wanna have to sift through RPs, cause those not labeled do have similar titles to what a story would have.

Behold the Void
04-09-2006, 09:47 PM
Added.

TheAbominatrix
04-09-2006, 09:51 PM
Danke <3

Elite Lord Sigma
04-18-2006, 01:16 AM
If you make it so you can't assume every attack hits, shouldn't it also state that you can't always say that you dodge everything thrown at you?

Behold the Void
04-18-2006, 03:58 PM
If you make it so you can't assume every attack hits, shouldn't it also state that you can't always say that you dodge everything thrown at you?

Got it covered.

Mercen-X
04-19-2006, 12:34 AM
Well, that certainly applies to rapid, consecutive, or massive or explosive attacks, but . . . what about a player who is dodging every attack of another character (who's like punching or something of this simplicity) and never assumes so much as a scratch or bruise or loss of balance?
It's my opinion all of this should be left to the GM . . . but that's for the GM to decide to take responsibility.

Izzo.For.Real
06-26-2006, 05:18 PM
Hmmmm...personally, I think the rules stink, because that's not the way I RP. But, I'll let you keep them. I'll just roleplay on Gaia or something. ::sigh:: Oh, well. I'll stick with the GC.

Eiko Guy
07-07-2006, 12:03 AM
you should add that you cant dodge all attacks

Owen Macwere
08-27-2006, 02:08 PM
While role playing I noticed somepeople who are using an impossible to understand language, they explain things in a very confusing way, maybe you can add that as well or may be no, but its really making people confused, and sometimes they just pull things fast without giving the other palyers a chance to do anything.

great rules, thanks for them.

Jimmy Dark Aeons Slayer
09-01-2006, 09:24 PM
I also have a litle sugestion i think that all the RP should actually have a type of moderator which would present challenges to the characters and such...also i think that all the characters sheet should have skills and stats determined by points like you´re own RP.

The reason i say this is because most people only care about making a history in which everyone wants to be the hero or heroine and tend to find miracolous ways to dodge atack just to avoid their characters defeat.

That´s just my opinion anyway...peace.

YTDN
09-02-2006, 07:38 AM
I don't really like the idea of stats, because I can never work out how their going to work. And sometimes the GM puts in stats and then ignores them. I think, if you know what your doing, stats is fine, but for me I'll stick with the basics.

Behold the Void
09-02-2006, 07:42 AM
I leave the concept of stats open-ended because some GMs don't want to deal with them. I'll add dodging every attack and the like to the auto-hit rules, and add something about proper grammar and spelling. But enforcing a stat rule just makes certain RPs more complex than they need to be.

Lestis
09-16-2006, 09:29 AM
Like I said, that's a lot of demands! I mean I don't really mind them, it's just that it's a lot. Meh, anyway, at least you answered multiple questions and restricted limitations to which the RPs are fair. Anyway, thanks for posting this up.

Behold the Void
09-16-2006, 10:25 AM
You'll note that aside from basic common courtesies, most everything is "at the discretion of the GM" and not mandatory.

Laddy
11-05-2006, 07:08 AM
If you're running something big, like a Survivor, can you have another RP? Because I had to start the Survivor, but it wasn't my idea, I'm just a host!

Savern Volaco
11-17-2006, 03:34 AM
ooooooops Ill go take care of it now. *taps and heads to key board*

TyphoonThaReapa
01-29-2007, 06:05 PM
A'yo, how do I submit a character to play?

NeoCracker
01-29-2007, 07:45 PM
Just REad the RP's themselves. Most of the time you just post a character in the thread, just make sure you give the DM everything they ask for.

TyphoonThaReapa
01-30-2007, 02:57 PM
Just REad the RP's themselves. Most of the time you just post a character in the thread, just make sure you give the DM everything they ask for.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Hazzard
02-09-2007, 09:09 AM
i never read this before i attempted to make a RP thread, so would you please close it down because the thread is set out all wrong.

The Majestic
03-19-2007, 06:30 PM
Hey can you close the thread titled to the people who where in the blades of hope thread I did a wrong thing and I know I make alot of mistakes but I will start following the rules

leader of mortals
04-10-2007, 09:54 PM
do I need to pm anyone to start an RP thread or do I just start it and hope to god its not closed

Hazzard
04-10-2007, 10:04 PM
Just start it up freely, and keep it running smoothly. That's all you gotta do, and you don't need any permission.

leader of mortals
04-11-2007, 01:36 AM
Thank you very much. I think I will go with a clasic tournament RP. maybe not... I dont know.

Psychokitty
10-20-2007, 01:39 AM
Hmm. Can someone post a simple sign-up sheet so that others can have an idea on what to base theirs on?