PDA

View Full Version : Skipping School (Is Cool?)

Clouded Sky
04-07-2006, 11:07 PM
So today, I had several math assignments and a couple different classes with tests and I really didn't want to do them! So, I skipped. Not something I usually do. But our school has an automated attendence line, and seeing as I've been told I sound like my dad on the phone, I left a message saying my "son" was sick. I then left my cell phone number just in case and changed my voicemail to say "The (My Last Name)" instead of Cory (My Last Name). And it all went off without a hitch. Well, mostly. I forgot about my mom's lunch break. So I had to sit on my bed and not move for about half hour when she came home. Other than that I mostly played computer all day.

Have you ever skipped school? Or is it bad? What'd you do? Why did you do it?

Awesomeman
04-07-2006, 11:10 PM
Nope. I'm a good student :)

tifastrife
04-07-2006, 11:12 PM
yeah i do that all the time!! but i did it for the full day once and got caught soo wont bee doing that again soo i just skip some classes:D

Rye
04-07-2006, 11:13 PM
Haha, owned. xD

I never skipped school because my school is absolutly insane with their attendance policies and they nearly hunt you down if you cut class or skip school and leave like, 20 messages on your answering machine about each period you skipped, etc.

Zell's Fists of Fury
04-07-2006, 11:14 PM
Yes. It was great.

First, I conviced my parents I was dealthy ill. A simple matter, really. Then, I had to convice my over-dramatic best friend to take his controlling father's Ferrarri out of the garage, so we could pick my hot forgien girlfriend up at school. We couldn't use Cameron's car because Rooney wouldn't believe for a second that her dad drove a piece of crap like that.

Anyway, we picker her up and drove to Downtown Chicago, ate at a fancy restaraunt under the guise of Abe Frohman and company, caught a ball game, saw a parade, etc. When it was time to go home we picked the car up at the parking garage and omg! THe attendant had taken it for a joy ride! How dare he!

We brought it back to Cameron's house, where we tried to set the mileage back by putting it on props and driving in reverse for a while unfortunatly that didn't work, and the car went out of control and crashed out the window and fell two stories down into the forest. But it was okay. Cameron realized that this was the time to finally stand up to his father. He became a bigger man that day. And I think we all grew up a little bit.

I've been thinking about making a movie about that day but I can't think fo a good title.

nik0tine
04-07-2006, 11:16 PM
I went to school 2 out of 5 days this week. I just didn't feel like going. Yes I am failing all my classes.

Zell's Fists of Fury
04-07-2006, 11:18 PM
Way to have a great can-do attitude!

Psychotic
04-07-2006, 11:19 PM
YEAH, FIGHT THE POWER, DOPPELGANGER!

Miriel
04-07-2006, 11:20 PM
I thought you were in "uni" Psy-whore?

I skipped school a lot my Senior year in high school. Usually to go to the beach, or eat unlimited pancakes at IHOP or just to stay in and sleep. The only thing my school did was to call the student's house and leave an automated message. But my entire family had cell phones, so the message would always be sent to my voicemail box and I'd just delete it and that was that.

The main reason why I ever skipped school in College was because I needed more time to write an essay or something. And that happens quite a bit. :riiight:

Psychotic
04-07-2006, 11:20 PM
I thought you were in "uni" Psy-whore? I am. :)

When did I say I wasn't? :roll:

McLovin'
04-07-2006, 11:23 PM
I oversleep sometimes "accidently." ;)

Miriel
04-07-2006, 11:26 PM
I thought you were in "uni" Psy-whore? I am. :)

When did I say I wasn't? :roll:
Jesus. I'm all confused and crap. :aimmad:

-Red XIII-
04-07-2006, 11:26 PM
I still do that, and I'm homeschooled. that's what happens when you get kicked outta school... homeshcool. *shudders*

Shlup
04-07-2006, 11:32 PM
I skipped school a lot in high school. A lot.

Now in college I skip classes fairly often, but only if I feel I can get away with it without ending up with a poor grade. I skip a lot, but pull a good GPA.

amratis
04-07-2006, 11:35 PM
Yes. It was great.

First, I conviced my parents I was dealthy ill. A simple matter, really. Then, I had to convice my over-dramatic best friend to take his controlling father's Ferrarri out of the garage, so we could pick my hot forgien girlfriend up at school. We couldn't use Cameron's car because Rooney wouldn't believe for a second that her dad drove a piece of crap like that.

Anyway, we picker her up and drove to Downtown Chicago, ate at a fancy restaraunt under the guise of Abe Frohman and company, caught a ball game, saw a parade, etc. When it was time to go home we picked the car up at the parking garage and omg! THe attendant had taken it for a joy ride! How dare he!

We brought it back to Cameron's house, where we tried to set the mileage back by putting it on props and driving in reverse for a while unfortunatly that didn't work, and the car went out of control and crashed out the window and fell two stories down into the forest. But it was okay. Cameron realized that this was the time to finally stand up to his father. He became a bigger man that day. And I think we all grew up a little bit.

I've been thinking about making a movie about that day but I can't think fo a good title.

xD

I dunno, this sounds vaguely familiar.....nah, its just me.

Edit - to be on topic, I skipped pretty badly in Year 12 (thats the first year of my A-levels for you Americans). Not really proud of it though, and I got seriously busted eventually. So I stopped after that, it was that or get kicked out really.

Mittopotahis
04-07-2006, 11:44 PM
No, I never. You see, when you choose subjects, you are supposed to choose subjects you like. I like my subjects, so I go to them all. Apart from English. :( But I would never skip it, that's just being dishonest in my opinion.

theundeadhero
04-08-2006, 12:05 AM
I skipped many days way back when.

Levian
04-08-2006, 12:07 AM
I skipped school way too little, honestly. I could've gotten away with skipping twice as much as I did. In Norway you have to go to school for like 10 years, so I could totally not care about the school those 10 first years, then after that I would have to be in school 80% of the time for the next 3 years. Being gone 20% of the time is a lot. I could've had a wife and two kids by now.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
04-08-2006, 12:07 AM
Nope. I have never done it in my life. Never done it. My principal is so annoying! If he knew I was skipping class he would actually go to my house to see if im sick. Im not even kidding. Wish I was though :)

Lost Number
04-08-2006, 12:09 AM
Ehh...once or twice. Whenever no ones lookin.

Kirobaito
04-08-2006, 01:17 AM
Yes. It was great.

Sexy McAwesome's Day Off.

I skip occassionally. A lot of times my Economics teacher will just tell us not to come to class. It's not really a big deal - I've got 8 unexcused absences to use.

kikimm
04-08-2006, 01:28 AM
I never skipped school because my school is absolutly insane with their attendance policies and they nearly hunt you down if you cut class or skip school and leave like, 20 messages on your answering machine about each period you skipped, etc.

Yeah my school does the same thing. And it does it when you're teacher, somehow, forgets to mark that you're there. I got in loads of trouble one time because of that, when I was actually IN class.

I've never skipped, though. I'd have nowhere to go. My school is over an hour's walk from my house and I can't drive. And I can't convince my parents that I'm "sick" all that often.

agrudis
04-08-2006, 01:29 AM
I did it once ... for a reason I'm ashamed to mention.

XxSephirothxX
04-08-2006, 01:38 AM
I've laid out plenty of days this year, though not as many as I'd like to simply because we have a limit of 8 absences per semester. Honestly, I could go to school one day a week and probably still pass all my classes. My Senior year is such a breeze. :p But I've never skipped without my parents knowing about it. They don't really care, as long as I keep my grades up, which I've never had a problem doing.

xXthedarkestlightXx
04-08-2006, 02:10 AM
I must say that ditching a class is just as easy as skipping school. You just have to be REALLY convincing.

We had to run a mile today in Physical Education and after 14 laps (usually we must run 25) I was getting a leg cramp like no tomorrow but I couldn't tell my gym teacher cuz he'd just make me run. So somehow, I went up to him and asked him if I could go to the bathroom and acted like I was about to puke. Somehow I manage to start crying and tearing up when my partner from gym ran after me in the locker room...I was bawling. I don't even know how I got myself to do that! ..I just wanted to get out -.-.

Shauna
04-08-2006, 02:24 AM
Nope. I'm a good girl! :D

Pike
04-08-2006, 02:38 AM
I never used to skip school until about... ohh... this semester actually. Well okay, last semester I started skipping school on occasion, but this semester... I don't think a week has gone by where I haven't skipped a class or two. But, admittedly, I only skip the huge lecture hall classes where they can't tell if you're gone or not :p

It's not really hurting me much (I can do the reading and be just as informed as I would be if I'd gone to lecture) and it gives me more chances to play Nintendo. *coughs* :choc2:

theundeadhero
04-08-2006, 02:41 AM
When the next school year starts and they ask for your parents work number tell them that your parents can't be gotten ahold of at work. Then when you skip unplug the answering machine. The school has no way to get ahold of your parents. Only you and them know. I thought of that right before my Senior year and it works wonderfully.

marc
04-08-2006, 02:41 AM
Goddamn I hate Cricket.

Raistlin
04-08-2006, 02:46 AM
I skipped school occasionally in high school.

I'll also somewhat more often skip classes in college, but only unimportant ones that don't matter (say, we're watching a movie or just talking about the reading or something).

I skip mostly because I feel like crap or I'm tired. Or, in the case of my Liberal Propaganda 101 class, I just can't handle anymore stupid that day.

Yuffie514
04-08-2006, 03:44 AM
i used to skip a few times. being late to class would earn you a trip to a place called Sweep. just rows of chairs in the front for those who came in late to sit and do nothing all hour. some abused this program as a place to nap or catch up on homework deadlines. in the back there were desks for Study Hall students (those w/out a class).

Mo-Nercy
04-08-2006, 04:04 AM
My high school wasn't in the suburbs like most other schools in Sydney, mine was right in the city so the temptation to 'jig' (Aussie term) was much greater for us because there'd be a lot more to do. With Fox Studios right across the street, I think every student was guilty of sneaking out for a few periods to catch a movie, some lunch, shoot some pool etc.

As for skipping entire days of school, that's been done too. But usually only I really need to do an assignment or something.

I've skipped about a weeks worth of uni since I started a month ago. xD

EDIT: Oh yeah. It's neither cool nor uncool. I jig when I feel like I have something better to do. xD

Peegee
04-08-2006, 04:11 AM
That's an elaborate and well-planned plan!

Skipping school is bad.

And you skipped school but didn't do your homework...what's the point?

ceros
04-08-2006, 04:13 AM
For those of you going through college, time is money now. Don't waste it.

Despotus
04-08-2006, 05:10 AM
Never did in high school, because I actually loved being there. I had great teachers and friends. And I'm a nerd who loves to take tests and answer questions in class. In university I attended the classes that I needed to and only skipped a couple of courses when I figured that I could learn more on my own because the prof was a dip/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif. Then I would spend class time reading the text and doing additional research at the library. I did very well in almost all of my classes.;)

I had a required Calculus class that counted attendance as a major part of your grade, (can't believe they'd think attendance was so important for learning Calc, but they did). I'd sit at the back and play Tetris on my GameBoy because I'd already taken Calculus in high school and aced it. The dudes next to me couldn't figure out why I could play games all the time and yet get the highest score on each of the first 3 exams. Then in the last couple of weeks of class, I hadn't had any absences yet; so I had a few days I could miss without the absences affecting my grade in the class.:cool:

Now here's the moral lesson for those who have been paying attention: On the 4th exam in that Calc class I got a C (74%) because I wasn't there or wasn't paying much attention when the prof actually taught some things I hadn't seen in high school. That brought my grade for the semester down from an A to a B/A, and gave me pause for thought. If you skip class, or sleep, or play games or whatever, you are not getting away with it. You're screwing yourself over without realizing.:(

-N-
04-08-2006, 05:13 AM
Once I got to college my class attendance dropped dramatically. My grades were still unaffected, so it's not really a big deal. Out here in NZ, I can't be bothered to go to more than half of my classes.

-N-
04-08-2006, 05:19 AM
Once I got to college my class attendance dropped dramatically. My grades were still unaffected, so it's not really a big deal. Out here in NZ, I can't be bothered to go to more than half of my classes.

escobert
04-08-2006, 05:59 AM
I use to skip to go fishing and drink beer. It was fun.

Markus. D
04-08-2006, 06:06 AM
only if I was awe-sickened with say... the flu.

I did skip once, when I had a friends birthday party thing.