PDA

View Full Version : A half hour at an Apple store

Rye
04-08-2006, 05:29 PM
This... is my story.

So, my iPod broke (it's an old click wheel one and I think it broke because it was old and it was damaged when I was updating the iPod and my computer crashed) and I couldn't fix it, so I decided to go to the Apple store about an hour away to see if they'd give me a new one, since I was still under the year warrenty.

So I go in, and the first thing I noticed was the smell. I was thinking to myself "Hey, this smells kinda nice... What is it... Macintosh..." (PA fans will get it, but here. (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/03/03)) and I was frightened then and there. Then this snooty looking guy comes up to us and asks "Do you have an appointment?" What the hell? Who needs an appointment at a computer store? Oh, but it's an APPLE store. So he led us to an Apple laptop and made us make a reservation in it for 10 minutes later, which just speaks volumes of weirdness and pretentiousness. Then he walked us to the place where they'd help us. It was called the "Genius Bar" and it said so on top of a picture of an atom. And the people behind the "Genius Bar" had shirts that said things like "Blah, Blah, Blog" and "Genius." We had to wait there until being called over by one of the hip mega-nerds.

Then I had an epiphany. You know how in the movies, a guy will think he's badass because he stole his grandma's bag of groceries, and then he goes into an infamous bar with a gang because he thinks he's one of them and then he's like "... Oh /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif. I don't belong here. I'm not THAT bad." I stared down at my iPod. and stared into my soul reflected in that scratched up silver back plate and prayed to Vishnu and Shiva that I'd never go beyond an iPod. I'd never become an Apple-head. I won't buy one of their tiny laptops. I cried silently in my heart as I watched people who came in and were just as confused as we were before, trying to ask the Apple people for help. This one woman didn't have an appointment, and it was like the hip mega-nerds at the "Genius Bar" couldn't see her, like they were robots programmed against those without an appointment. They didn't even look in her direction. Poor woman.

All around me were dancing black silhouettes in jazz bands with white chords coming out from all their bodily orifices and it chilled my heart. I looked everywhere to try to find one shred of something not Macintosh, but I just couldn't. They were closing in on me. Jessica, Jessica, buy this ridiculously tiny laptop. Buuuuy meeeee! Become an Apple Head! No! I won't give in! I won't be a dancing black silhouette!

Then I snap up and a mega-hip "Genius Bar" nerd called me over, and took a look at my iPod. Long story short, my parents actually had to pay 60 dollars even though we were under the 12 month warrenty because we came after 6 months. Which is pretty ridiculous, but I was just glad to be out of there and having a working mp3 player, since they gave me a new click wheel just like mine to replace my old broken one.

And that is how I survived being at an Apple store for a half hour. Any horror stories of Apple stores or any other snobby stores? I never want to go into one again, it's frightening how pretentious they are there. Who walks into a store to make an appointment for 10 minutes later?

Necronopticous
04-08-2006, 05:37 PM
That was genius, but in a way no one in the Genius Bar could ever comprehend.

Dr Unne
04-08-2006, 05:53 PM
If you want cultish fanaticism, try a WalMart. I could tell some stories.

The Apple store is spooky, yes.

Rye
04-08-2006, 05:59 PM
Do tell! And yeah, spooky is a good word for the Apple Store. It's just not right.

Ballistix Man
04-08-2006, 06:01 PM
It was called the "Genius Bar" and it said so on top of a picture of an atom. And the people behind the "Genius Bar" had shirts that said things like "Blah, Blah, Blog" and "Genius." We had to wait there until being called over by one of the hip mega-nerds.

Then I had an epiphany. You know how in the movies, a guy will think he's badass because he stole his grandma's bag of groceries, and then he goes into an infamous bar with a gang because he thinks he's one of them and then he's like "... Oh . I don't belong here. I'm not THAT bad." I stared down at my iPod. and stared into my soul reflected in that scratched up silver back plate and prayed to Vishnu and Shiva that I'd never go beyond an iPod. I'd never become an Apple-head. I won't buy one of their tiny laptops. I cried silently in my heart as I watched people who came in and were just as confused as we were before, trying to ask the Apple people for help. This one woman didn't have an appointment, and it was like the hip mega-nerds at the "Genius Bar" couldn't see her, like they were robots programmed against those without an appointment. They didn't even look in her direction. Poor woman.

Did the people at the store look like this.21396
Wow just wow :lol: :laugh:
Did they look at the person without an appoitment like this.
http://lightsout.onestop.net/getout.jpg

Clouded Sky
04-08-2006, 07:11 PM
Ha. That seems to mirror an experience I had. Except we had to wait like an hour for our appointment, so we walked around the mall (Yay Mall of America.) Then we go back and I felt like AHHHHHHH APPLE. And they were all, "we can fix it, for lots of $$$". And we were like no. That's what warranty is for. So we sold it on ebay and bought a new one for about the same price. Take that apple crack heads.

Zeldy
04-08-2006, 07:12 PM
Thats why I stay away from Apple.
I took my Zen back to Currys and got a refund straight away :cool:

Miriel
04-08-2006, 07:32 PM
Wow. That's weird.

I walked into an Apple store (with no appointment) with my best friend when her Ipod Mini broke, and they looked at it, said it wasn't fixable, and then offered a brand new Ipod Mini for free which my friend happily took.

Yamaneko
04-08-2006, 07:35 PM
The people working at the Apple store don't know anything. They've been sucked into the image and hype of Apple products much like everyone else has, so all they can do is hype it up even more.

Cid
04-08-2006, 07:37 PM
I like this.

Parker
04-08-2006, 07:38 PM
I've never been to an Apple store but for some reason I imagine everything in there is dazzling white and clinical, with the staff wearing white suits with white dyed hair.

Dreddz
04-08-2006, 08:02 PM
Yep, I have one. I walked into an Apple store, bought a new G5 Macintosh. Set it up, then wondered why I wanted a Windows.

KoShiatar
04-08-2006, 09:50 PM
I hope there are no such apple stores in Italy.

Xaven
04-08-2006, 10:20 PM
What kind of Apple Store did you go to? :(

I've been to the Apple Store in the Victoria Gardens mall just north of me and it was just fine. I sorta liked how everything was white and sleek and clean and stuff and how they let people look through their computers and other stuff on display. There were lots of people watching music videos, or playing computer games and the sort. I have no idea what you are talking about concerning the appointment thing though. My dad and I just walked in and in a few moments an employee asked if he could help us. I've never heard of that "Genius Bar" thing either. We just walked to the counter in the front and bought my iPod after listening and checking out the ones on display and we were done. I like my Apple Store.

Rye
04-08-2006, 10:53 PM
I've never been to an Apple store but for some reason I imagine everything in there is dazzling white and clinical, with the staff wearing white suits with white dyed hair.

I'm not going to lie, if the store was any more Apple-y, it probably would have been just that. xD

Jess
04-08-2006, 11:30 PM
This explains why I don't want an iPod. Actually, that isn't the real reason but let's just pretend it is.

Chaos
04-08-2006, 11:59 PM
I had a mac once, about 7 or 8 years ago...the Mac itself was about 10 years old. I broke it. I think I loaded its hard drive onto a catz 1 cd-rom. For some reason it refused to function unless it had the cd in the cd drive. I click on word to do some typing, and a popup window appears saying 'Insert Catz 1 disk'. I insert disk, type away, take disk out and go to save....."Insert Catz1 disk".

Bizarrely the only thing I didn't need the cd for was Catz 1.

Anyway, yeah, Apple stores = scary.

Yes.

Madame Adequate
04-09-2006, 12:00 AM

I'm not going to lie, if the store was any more Apple-y, it probably would have been just that. xD

That is exactly the way the Apple store I walked past was.

And really now, have people still not realized that Zen and iRiver >>> iPod?

Further, I should have thought we have by this point amassed enough evidence to conclusively prove that banana is simply better than apple.

Rye
04-09-2006, 12:52 PM

That is exactly the way the Apple store I walked past was.

And really now, have people still not realized that Zen and iRiver >>> iPod?

Further, I should have thought we have by this point amassed enough evidence to conclusively prove that banana is simply better than apple.

Well, you've always had something against apples, since the first day you joined here. Remember? You bit into the skull of the apple that bore seedlings?

Giga Guess
04-09-2006, 04:32 PM
Rogers, my cellphone provider. Ugh.

I've always maintained, Rogers is a GREAT provider. So long as nothing ever, ever, ever goes wrong with your cell. Or plan. Or anything else. I swear, they have a maximum IQ requirement, which is likely in the low double digits.