PDA

View Full Version : Zidane's Accent

Captain Maxx Power
04-09-2006, 07:21 PM
I've recently been replaying FF9 and I've noticed something...familiar about the way Zidane speaks. The most glaring of which is his use of the word "nowt". Now this word is almost exclusively used in the north of England, mostly around the Yorkshire area. This may be a long shot here, but is it possible that Zidane has a northern-english accent? Or is obscure translation gone quirky?

Xaven
04-09-2006, 07:25 PM
I don't think so. Maybe it was just the translator(s) had nothing to do and a dictionary at hand.

Vincent, Thunder God
04-09-2006, 07:54 PM
It could be a difference of versions... my version doesn't seem to have him using a wierd accent, and I always have a very high concentration when reading text.

Tavrobel
04-09-2006, 08:28 PM
I have never heard him speak like that, and I have the original non-hacked/non-pirate version for NA. There was a pirated version, and it could've been changed. Although, the European version could be different to make his accent more like whatever region they were releasing the game to.

I don't think so. Maybe it was just the translator(s) had nothing to do and a dictionary at hand.

That's probably what happened. If not, then Cecil in FFIV has an American accent.

WHAT!?

I rest my case.

a nirvana fan
04-09-2006, 09:05 PM
Ive never seen the word "nowt" in any dialogue in FFIX.

vampirepiggyhunter7
04-09-2006, 09:19 PM

Avathar
04-09-2006, 11:42 PM
I've always imagined Zidane with an American English voice, not English English. (:cool: like a Californian surfer^^)

Quindiana Jones
04-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Zidane always has my accent. I also use the word nowt and I'm not from up north.
Though my dad's a Geordie so that might be where I got it from.

Yes...anyway. Zidane always has my voice because he's the first character and I'm too lazy to think of another kind of accent :D

Heero Yuy NWZC
04-10-2006, 04:47 PM

Vivi123
04-10-2006, 05:21 PM

crazybayman
04-10-2006, 05:28 PM
I think he's meant to have an accent like that of a North American. Nothing distinct, just like what you'd hear from a North American actor.

Heero Yuy NWZC
04-10-2006, 07:07 PM
It's not american that he's talking about, it's british.

marc
04-10-2006, 08:22 PM
I don't think Zidane has a mancurian acent, but I've always thought of him having a British accent of some sort.
Also, don't ask me why, but to me, he just looks very British.
Especially in Amanos drawings,
But then again, I am just wierd.

Heero Yuy NWZC
04-10-2006, 08:45 PM
I don't think Zidane has a mancurian acent, but I've always thought of him having a British accent of some sort.
Also, don't ask me why, but to me, he just looks very British.
Especially in Amanos drawings,
But then again, I am just weird.

Must be the frilly cuffs.

Quindiana Jones
04-11-2006, 09:49 AM
Hm.

marc
04-11-2006, 09:27 PM
indeed.
and that little cravat thing he wears around his neck.

Rhi
04-12-2006, 12:24 PM
no idea. i've never seen him say 'nowt' either, and I have the English game...

Quindiana Jones
04-12-2006, 12:35 PM
indeed.
and that little kinky thing he wears around his neck.
what is that called anyway?

It's like a pathetic Ruff. With a lil' ribbon bow thing.

I think one should go through the whole game, giving everyone a Jamaican accent.

crazybayman
04-12-2006, 02:09 PM
It's not american that he's talking about, it's british.
No $hit. And I disagree. In my game, there is no indication that he should have a British accent. I've never seen him say "nowt", or anything like that.

And I said North American, not American :)

Think about when he tries to get Garnet to talk like a commoner. The lingo he tells her to use is that of a common Canadian/American person. Things like "alrighty", and other phrases.

Fantasy Fan
04-12-2006, 02:39 PM
Zidane is a French name.

Heero Yuy NWZC
04-12-2006, 03:58 PM
I know it doesn't show a british accent in your game, but that's not what we are talking about. In his game, it sounds like he has one. We are not talking about yours.

Fantasy Fan
04-12-2006, 04:14 PM
I've always thought Zidane would be great with a British accent.

crazybayman
04-12-2006, 06:07 PM
I know it doesn't show a british accent in your game, but that's not what we are talking about. In his game, it sounds like he has one. We are not talking about yours.
How in the h@ll would his copy of the game be different from mine? :rolleyes:

Quindiana Jones
04-12-2006, 06:47 PM
Things like "alrighty", and other phrases.

He's quoting Vivi. And other people say alrighty.

crazybayman
04-12-2006, 06:51 PM
Yes, true.

However, if he were meant to have a British accent, perhaps they would have inserted words more specific to the UK, like "Mate", for instance, and many others.

Quindiana Jones
04-12-2006, 06:55 PM
*Australian accent* "G'Day mate". That's steriotypical to the word "mate" :D
I think Zidane would be from Somerset. And not in the "oI caan't read, un oI caan't wroite, but thaat dunt ayven ma'er! cos oI do come fram summer!seet! and oI caan droive a tr'er!" kind of way. Just, no real accent...

Druggelz
04-12-2006, 07:34 PM
I think they sometimes use strange (older) words (like nowt) to give the game a certain Mideavel (I don't remeber how to write it, OMG) feeling. I don't think it has anything to do with an accent (I'd given Zidane an American accent...)

crazybayman
04-12-2006, 08:07 PM
*Australian accent* "G'Day mate". That's steriotypical to the word "mate" :D...
I know. I've heard lots of people from the UK use "mate", when referring to a friend, too.

"Me 'n' muh mates, yeah, we went out fo' a pint, yeah....."

and so on.

Anyways, I think when reading those text boxes, people read it and sound it in their head the way they're a little more used to hearing it. So UK people would give them a mild UK accent, while us on the other side of the pond would give him a mild Canadian/American accent.

marc
04-12-2006, 08:20 PM
I know. I've heard lots of people from the UK use "mate", when referring to a friend, too.

"Me 'n' muh mates, yeah, we went out fo' a pint, yeah....."

and so on.

Anyways, I think when reading those text boxes, people read it and sound it in their head the way they're a little more used to hearing it. So UK people would give them a mild UK accent, while us on the other side of the pond would give him a mild Canadian/American accent.

tis truth, with it you reading, the words are going through your head, so your thinking it with your accent.

Fantasy Fan
04-12-2006, 08:21 PM

"Alrighty"'s a geek term. Geeks say "Alrighty".

Yes, true.

However, if he were meant to have a British accent, perhaps they would have inserted words more specific to the UK, like "Mate", for instance, and many others. no we just say things too fast and deep. :lol:

Fantasy Fan
04-12-2006, 08:26 PM
*Australian accent* "G'Day mate". That's steriotypical to the word "mate" :D
I think Zidane would be from Somerset. And not in the "oI caan't read, un oI caan't wroite, but thaat dunt ayven ma'er! cos oI do come fram summer!seet! and oI caan droive a tr'er!" kind of way. Just, no real accent...
we do not sound like that :| not even Londoneers talk like that :| you only think that because the American accent is so loud and high it hurts our ears. Canadian accents are okay.

marc
04-12-2006, 08:32 PM
we do not sound like that :| not even Londoneers talk like that :| you only think that because the American accent is so loud and high it hurts our ears. Canadian accents are okay.

I always thought the Americans thought British people were usually quite well spoken, I'm feeling uninspired today so I'll use to examples from something that was just on TV.
Take Buffy the vampire Slayer, and look at the two English characters, both well spoken, and watch any American teen movie with British accents in it and you'll se what I mean.:tonberry:

Heero Yuy NWZC
04-12-2006, 08:35 PM
Calm down Fantasy Fan. I agree with what they're saying. Everyone pretty much has their own idea of how characters would've said things depending on where they're from. And americans do have some stereotypes on how english ppl speak, but we here know it quite well. Take marc's word for it. ANd don't be insulting our way of speech.

Fantasy Fan
04-12-2006, 08:39 PM
Okay, I'll shut up now.

Heero Yuy NWZC
04-12-2006, 08:47 PM
No, no, no. I didn't mean it like that. I just asked you to calm down a bit, ok? We're not dissing anyone here.

Prancing Mad
04-12-2006, 09:28 PM
I think Zidane has a very deep voice. Kinda like Barry White. Can't you just picture it when he says "oooh soft". Zidane's a sex machine, he'd definitely need a deep soothing voice.

crazybayman
04-13-2006, 11:59 AM
"Alrighty"'s a geek term. Geeks say "Alrighty".

no we just say things too fast and deep. :lol:
too fast? you should here Newfounese :p

Darth Cid
04-13-2006, 06:47 PM
I think Zidane has a very deep voice. Kinda like Barry White. Can't you just picture it when he says "oooh soft". Zidane's a sex machine, he'd definitely need a deep soothing voice.

Zidane: *deep Barry White voice* LOL *back to normal voice* No, Zidane was a failed ladies' man;therefore, a soft voice is good.

Ballistix Man
04-13-2006, 06:51 PM
I always thought Zidane sounded like a scrawny geek.Witha squeaky voice.

Darth Cid
04-13-2006, 08:29 PM
Zidane: I'd give him a voice like Travis Tritt the country music singer, when Tritt talks it's a really soft voice, but when he sings it's a deep voice, and a hint of southern accent sounds a little good on him.

Quindiana Jones
04-14-2006, 09:52 PM
Of course, they'd actually all be Japanese...

Avathar
04-15-2006, 12:32 AM
:D LOL, i imagined that Garnet would have the Barry White voice, after losing her voice:D :p

Skyie
04-15-2006, 12:35 AM
I prefer not to think of any FF character pre-X having any kind of voice. It shatters the "Fantasy" part of it, for sure.

Avathar
04-15-2006, 12:38 AM
Ehm..we're just imagining it. Isn't that, like, using fantasy?:eep:

Skyie
04-15-2006, 11:38 AM
Nah, playing FF games is kinda like reading a book, its nice to imagine but to actually play it with sound, it always comes woefully short. Like the Harry Potter books/movies. Nice to read, horrible to watch.

Quindiana Jones
04-15-2006, 11:41 AM
You're spot on there. They fudged Harry Potter in every way a human could.

Fantasy Fan
04-15-2006, 01:11 PM
too fast? you should here Newfounese :p
lololololololololololololololololol

I mean: lmao

Shotgunnova
04-23-2006, 11:38 AM
I typed both the mandatory and NPC dialogue and there's nothing in Zidane's speech indicative of a regional accent. "Nowt," though I doubt it exists in-game, is more likely to be a typo and doesn't reflect anything by itself.

Quindiana Jones
04-23-2006, 02:24 PM
Nowt just means nothing.

<<MiKo BaHaMuT>>
04-23-2006, 02:42 PM
I've never seen 'nowt' in the game dialouges too. O_o