PDA

View Full Version : is dragon quest 8 better than ff?

tenhitcombo
04-11-2006, 04:16 AM
im a huge ff fan and i have never played a dragon quest game,
dragon quest 8 is coming out and i may bye it, is it worth it why?oh and is it better than finalfantasy>?

Zeromus_X
04-11-2006, 04:29 AM
"Better" is all in someone's opinion, though nothing is superior in all aspects to another thing anyways. If you're used to modern RPGs which spoil you with power-leveling and free items, and are very easy to complete, then I wouldn't get this game. (Although, it wouldn't hurt to get it and try it out to see if you like it at least.) However, if you like old school RPGs and have played the past Dragon Quest games, then I would definitely get it.

Although it will, at least, shave away 60 hours of your life just to get through the main story. ;) :cat:

tenhitcombo
04-11-2006, 04:42 AM
yes i do like games that are hard and take ages to complete but wat i dont like is a cheezy story with dum villians who kill for no good reason

Zeromus_X
04-11-2006, 04:44 AM
The story picks up a little late, but it actually gets pretty dark, without losing it's style. (Although it pretty much shares the same back-story of every other DQ game, it's kinda a trend.)

tenhitcombo
04-11-2006, 04:52 AM
sweet, u rekon its worth 99.95?

FallenAngel411
04-11-2006, 05:28 AM
I'm going to assume you don't mean USD there...

And it's an enjoyable experience to pass the time. You have to be patient and love leveling up a lot. The story isn't the main focus, it's more about the old-school gameplay.

tenhitcombo
04-11-2006, 06:09 AM
ok im not getting it

Zeromus_X
04-11-2006, 06:14 AM
It's about $50 new, in U.S. money anyway.

Not that the story is bad, who got that idea? It sticks to the same DQ story formula, only now character development has rocketed to where that doesn't matter. :cat:

But anyway, why make threads of asking "Is this game good for me?" and then just say "Okay then, I won't get it". Try the game out, and play it. Then make your decision on whether you like it or not. (Although you'll probably hate it anyway.) :cat:

tenhitcombo
04-11-2006, 06:35 AM
well my money dosnt come along all the time so i thought to buy it(i dont like hireing rpgs it makes me rush it) so i was thinking if this game was like finalfantasy (engaging story an dcharacters)that sort of thing.
not a lvl up boss lvl up lvl up boss lvl up lvl up lvl up boss and so on

Zeromus_X
04-11-2006, 06:40 AM
Well, it has a solid story, quite frankly. You just might have to level up if you have trouble with a boss or a new area, you don't have to be a leveling fiend to complete the game, expect to be at late 30s or early 40s by the final boss. 50+ to do the optional super boss(es). :cat:

It just requires somewhat more leveling than modern RPGs where you don't really need to level that much at all. :cat: And you don't get so much money, I find that more tedious than exp. You absolutely will not get enough money to buy the best equipment from a new shop the first time you get there, most money is from battles throughout dungeons and exploring on the next objective. :cat: Though it'll take a little work to get exp and gold, there are of course tricks to get alot of gold and exp, like in most RPGs. And really, power leveling is only for preparing for the super-hard optional bosses, it's just nice for the normal game. :tonberry:

tenhitcombo
04-11-2006, 06:44 AM
ok thanks for the tips.i may get this game on thursday since im dying to play a rpg with modern graphics *(sigh)*

Zeromus_X
04-11-2006, 06:51 AM
I don't think the graphics will dissapoint. Or the music, you see, NA has the orchestrated soundtrack as opposed to the Japanese version's midi soundtrack. Of course, we're missing all the classic sound effects, but I'd say it's a good pay-off. :cat:

Dreddz
04-11-2006, 10:11 AM
its all opinions, me personally, I find FF alot more enjoyable.

crazybayman
04-11-2006, 12:17 PM
its all opinions, me personally, I find FF alot more enjoyable.
ditto. Although this is a good RPG.

There is quite a bit more levelling than FF, but still not a bad story, and some good character development.

The graphics are great. I'm really not a fan of anime, but I found the cartoon graphics in this game to be great.

Just rent it to try it out. You don't have to rush anything. You can probably get through the first dungeon in one night, to see if you like it. Give that a try.

Crossblades
04-11-2006, 02:30 PM
I haven't played DQ VIII yet, but I have played DQ I, II, III and IMO the DQ series is just as good as the FF series. But yeah, like fallen angel said, you must have extreme patience and you must love leveling up your characters.

Markus. D
04-12-2006, 04:11 AM
Its in the eyes of the indavidual.

DJZen
04-13-2006, 11:16 PM
DQVIII is pretty much the antithesis of FFVII. Let's compare:

FFVII --- DQVIII

Cyberpunk --- Swords & Sorcery
Bad Translation --- Good Translation
ZOMG TEH UBARL337 KOTR SUMMON MATERIAZ LOLOLOL --- Oh look! I got a new spell that lets me do 30 damage to all enemies! SWEET!
Extremely whiney characters --- Extremely comical characters
Cinematic FMVs --- In game graphics onry!
No voice acting --- Tons of voice acting
Long, drawn out, cinematic attacks --- Brief attack animations with text descriptions
You get money for breathing --- You occasionally get small amounts of money for achieving the impossible
Tifa --- Jessica
You can literally OHK many of the bosses --- The toughest optional boss is immune to magic and only takes about 5 damage per hit

So really, it all comes down to what your preference is in RPGs.

Eiko Guy
04-14-2006, 09:51 PM
you cant blame the graphics and voice acting to a game that is older if you did you might as well say pong shouldnt exist and then no games would exist

Vaprice
04-14-2006, 11:02 PM
I really think that Dragon Quest VIII has died out in America and other places. Only some people like Dragon Quest Games a lot. I think it's viewers are more asian people.

The graphics, voice overs aren't the best either but that won't break a game. It's a fun game, give it a try. But to be honest if you like RPG games, and like wasting your time away this would be the game for you.

I Took the Red Pill
04-15-2006, 12:08 AM
It's a really good game, although the storyline is cliche and predictable. It's going to feel like an old school rpg with bright, modern graphics. And although the game itself is pretty linear, it can be really fun exploring the literally massive world you are given at will. Not to mention this game will take you a very long time to complete, so it's well worth the money in my opinion.

tenhitcombo
04-15-2006, 04:00 AM
so its like a remake of 6?great

Zeromus_X
04-15-2006, 07:00 AM
To comment on voice acting in the game, the Japanese version doesn't have voice acting. Most english voice overs for games are pretty poor in general, at least, compared to their Japanese counterparts. And you can turn the voices off, if it really bothers you that much. So it's not even an issue. :cat:

Eh?

tenhitcombo
04-15-2006, 07:06 AM
hiya

sub zero
04-16-2006, 02:08 AM
the guy was talkin bout ff7 cant you read roman numbers about one of his points most game have obtinal bosses that you cant kill on one hit there are some bosses in everygame that a certain spell can kill em very fast like if you get limit golve for quina on ff9 and use it on gislamuke it kills it in one there are a few bosses that you can kill with items on almost every ff.

DJZen
04-17-2006, 02:54 AM

No :twak:

Zeromus_X
04-17-2006, 03:59 AM
What does he mean by that? Final Fantasy VI? Dragon Quest VI? What 6? :cat:

crazybayman
04-17-2006, 12:24 PM
But to be honest if you like RPG games, and like wasting your time away this would be the game for you.

tenhitcombo
04-18-2006, 01:52 AM
i ment ff6 u kno lvl up lvl up linear story

DJZen
04-18-2006, 01:53 AM
DQVIII is nothing like FFVI.

Zeromus_X
04-18-2006, 06:03 AM
i ment ff8 u kno draw magic draw magic linear story

PontiusPilate
05-08-2006, 02:47 AM
DQ8 is a good game dont get me wrong, but the best FF's are alot better than it

BizzerocitY
05-08-2006, 03:00 AM
I'm just gonna say this: In order to get really strong, you gotta do alot of sidequests, item hunting and alchemy, and leveling. To just play through the game and not really try that hard, is also possible.

Like FFX, You can get all the ultimate weapons, go around the entire sphere grid with every character, max out all their stats, do every side quest, and THEN beat the game. or you can just play through the game's story line and never touch a sidequest. It's all in how you like to beat a game. Me: I like to do all the side quests, get all the best equipment, get as strong as possible, utterly demolish the game, and THEN beat the game's story final boss. But I'm sure you could play DQVIII without any effort, and just go straight through the game, and just stop a little bit to level up here in there, if you die against a boss or something. BTW, if you die you don't lose everything you obtained, just half your gold is gone. That's it. No leveling down, no nothing. You just lose you money. Or half of it. If you keep your money in the bank, literally nothing happens to you at all. And generally the main places are teleportable to, so you can just use a chimera wing, go straight through the dungeon and try again, so it's no big deal anyway.

Leeza
05-08-2006, 03:18 AM
Considering the starter of this thread is banned, this thread can be closed.