PDA

View Full Version : Ways not to Defeat Cecil Dark Knight

Evastio
04-12-2006, 12:26 AM
So for those of us that beat FF4 without looking on the internet, what crazy things did you do to try to defeat Cecil Dark Knight?

I remember I turned Cecil into a pig, thinking that I'd be facing a pig making the fight a whole lot easier. There was also the time where I thought if I deequipped Cecil's Black Sword he wouldn't be able to attack me with it.

Tavrobel
04-12-2006, 12:51 AM
So for those of us that beat FF4 without looking on the internet, what crazy things did you do to try to defeat Cecil Dark Knight?

I remember I turned Cecil into a pig, thinking that I'd be facing a pig making the fight a whole lot easier. There was also the time where I thought if I deequipped Cecil's Black Sword he wouldn't be able to attack me with it.

The first time I fought Dark Cecil, I just attacked, and used Cure potions whenever my HP got below 90. I also equipped the Paladin Shield I was able to buy from Mysidia, so I took half damage. I kept attacking, and it stopped after 9 hits.

Now I know just to Defend.

D-Cecil has static stats anyways, and Darkness isn't affected by his sword damage (well, at least not in the American version).

Moon Rabbits
04-12-2006, 03:19 AM
i just attacked over and over, thinking I really had to beat him...but yeah, eventually i got the hint.

Zeromus_X
04-12-2006, 03:21 AM
I distincly remembere killing him on the American SNES version, I just kept attacking and healing when neccessary. :cat:

Now I know alot better. :cry:

Leucant
04-12-2006, 03:46 AM
I got really lucky and actually read the text the first time i fought him and i picked up on it. However, the first time i fought Kain in Fabul i tried so hard to beat him and i got really pissed when he handed my ass to me. I actually heard you can beat him though.... i wonder if you get crazy exp for it.

Evastio
04-12-2006, 03:49 AM
So none of you did something crazy thinking it would make the battle with Dark Knight Cecil easier? :confused:

Leucant
04-12-2006, 03:51 AM
Honestly my thoughts at the time were that i had just fought two boss battles in a row and i wasnt really prepared for it at all. i didnt even go back and save before i went in and i dont know why so i wasnt prepared and like i said i never ever died fighting him so i guess i got really lucky....

boys from the dwarf
04-12-2006, 10:27 AM
id already heard about that fight so i just waited and healed until i won. i would of eventually figured it out anyway. i think its not possible to kill him in the anthologies version.

Zyrthofar
04-12-2006, 03:21 PM
Leucant: When you fight Kain, he has 65,000 hp. This is not a fight you're supposed to win ;). He gives 0 gp, 0 xp, and never gives an item.

Flying Mullet
04-12-2006, 05:53 PM
I distincly remembere killing him on the American SNES version, I just kept attacking and healing when neccessary. :cat:
Same here. Of course, the first dozem or so times I got to that point there was no internet so I couldn't cheat.

Crossblades
04-12-2006, 10:20 PM

Now I know alot better. :cry:

Same here

Vincentsinnerdemon
04-19-2006, 09:08 PM
I started to cure him and attack myself on one try. That doesnt work too well...:erm:

starseeker
04-19-2006, 09:28 PM
I took the hint and pressed Defend, nearly died though.

DJZen
04-23-2006, 09:51 PM
I tried healing him on my first try, I also tried running away, using potions on him, stuff like that...

Laguna
04-24-2006, 05:19 PM
hmm, I wish I'd read this earlier. I just bought the GBA version and got to this point. First attempt I tried to fight, but it went on for ages. Attack, attack, potion, potion. Repeat until the battery died.

Second attempt: "A true paladin will sheath his sword? Ok, lets try defending and not fighting back" Four minutes later: "Im dead, maybe its one of those battles you have to lo.... game over? Great"

Third attempt: "Ohhhhh, maybe the hint is literal, maybe I can remove my weapon!" Items> Sword of Legend..... "Ok....that didnt...oh, im dead"

Fourth attempt (aka, I need potions.... lots of potions)
"Right- 99 potions: check. Saved game: check. In the front row : check. Plugged my gba into the mains: check. Patience: check (just as well -.-) 68 potions later and I am the winner! Hurray.

Why couldnt I get the defend strategy to work?

KoShiatar
04-24-2006, 05:57 PM
But what happens if you actually beat him?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-24-2006, 06:03 PM
Cecil fails the trial and the Giant of Babel summarily nukes humanity.

Captain Maxx Power
04-24-2006, 08:54 PM
Am I the only one who managed to figure out what the text meant by "Do not attack the blegger"?

FallenAngel411
05-01-2006, 06:47 AM
This game sounds trippy.

Acid Raine
05-04-2006, 12:40 AM
This game sounds trippy.
It was trippier before censorship hacked away at it

ROSA: Do you want me to come by your bed again tonight?
hehehehe. Cecil is such a pimp

And Golbez calls Rosa a whore somewhere.

Monster Hunt
05-04-2006, 07:14 AM
I acctually didn't look on the internet. I figured it out by getting sick of the paladin Cecil being so weak so I just left him to die... before I know it i'm out of the battle!

Sjorn
05-06-2006, 08:07 PM
The first time I fought him; I attacked thinking that he'd die soon.

... I was wrong.

I actually had to look on the internet and find a walkthrough... I was so confused. XD

eestlinc
05-13-2006, 03:16 AM
Same here. Of course, the first dozem or so times I got to that point there was no internet so I couldn't cheat.
Yea, I had to call the Nintendo Power help hotline!

Acid Raine
05-13-2006, 03:24 AM
...why did I never have trouble with him?

sub zero
05-13-2006, 04:48 AM
i had alread read a walkthough as i couldent work out how to beat the 2 previus bosses. i still attakced im though and used stuff like phinix till i rembered how it said you could win lol. died first time.

Floppie
05-15-2006, 04:00 AM
On the SNES version I always just beat him down...couldn't do it in Anthologies though, and tried defending repeatedly (did it twice) but that didn't work. I didn't think to try three times. Ended up just looking at a walkthrough then kicked myself for not trying it a third time.

I remember the very first time I tried it though, I just figured it was a fight you weren't supposed to win...so I just attacked him repeatedly without healing. Mistake~

-N-
05-15-2006, 05:34 AM
Yea, I had to call the Nintendo Power help hotline!I asked my friend who had beaten it, which was cheaper. ^_^

Peter_20
05-16-2006, 03:24 PM
I just use Cure Potions forever. :cool:

Shadow Ice
05-25-2006, 09:26 PM
I kept on attacking, and using potions for awhile...then I checked a walkthrough >.>

Tempest
05-25-2006, 09:48 PM
Hey, I just remembered what I used to do. I didn't attack DK Cecil I'd have Cecil attack himself. I thought that was what you had to do to win. Luckily he never killed himself.

Azulmagia
05-28-2006, 03:33 PM
Attack and cure yourself with Hipotions

bongun4
06-16-2006, 03:58 AM
hmm.. all i did was stand there and received the blows... he never killed me.. and he stopped b4 a quarter of my hp is gone.. ^^;;

(CECIL120X
06-19-2006, 05:20 PM
its been almost a month since the last reply but still.....i couldnt beat that part for almost a week because i kept attacking the knight if this thread was here earlier you guys would of save me time.

Darkwing Bahamut
06-20-2006, 06:16 AM
All I did was Attack normally and used Potions when needed. It's easier that way.

Eiko Guy
06-20-2006, 07:33 PM
well dont try to parry unless you have great timing and dont fight him unless you overlvl i once piggyd cecil so it would be easy

abrojtm
06-21-2006, 06:27 AM
I always kill him so that I can be Dark Paladin Cecil and dual-wield the Excalibur and the Hades Blade.

gsmagi86
07-21-2006, 05:33 PM
In the SNES version he has very few HP (like 1000), probably because they thought beginners could never think of not attacking. In the anthologies version he has insane HP. I don't even think you can kill him but I can't say for certain ... I never tried XD

To win the first time throught, I just bought some Cure2 Potions which were enough to keep me alive.

Paul
07-23-2006, 03:17 AM
i'm playing the GBA version (never played Snes version)... i got up to this bit and died a few times, first attacking as normal... then later trying to defend, i also died.

then when it says "a true paladin would sheath his sword", i went into items mid-fight, unequipped my sword and the battle ended.

Jessweeee♪
09-04-2006, 05:33 AM
I just kept attacking and got my ass kicked :P

I figured it out after 5 tries XDDDD

oddler
10-03-2006, 04:38 AM
I always kill him so that I can be Dark Paladin Cecil and dual-wield the Excalibur and the Hades Blade.

Novaris
10-03-2006, 12:46 PM
don't kick his arse. I'm being serious, one thought of asskicking and you got paladin Cecil on a bacon pan. Well what do you think that smell was? Paint?

Fatal Impurity
10-03-2006, 02:20 PM
first time i faught him i just thought it was an evil "trial by combat" boss....but after getting owned twice i had an ephipany and de-equipped my sword hence beating that little bugger.....*phew* :D

XandrewX
10-03-2006, 08:45 PM
It's easy...I got owend once...you just need to focus more on healing and wall yourself...don't make all out attacks...it won't work...good

Fireblade13
10-04-2006, 08:48 PM
I saw the "Ahhh the power of cheese" guide and so i defended and maybe potioned. He just looked at me and said "Dang u! Since you have done nothing i will now kill myself and let you go save the world!" Not even the pirates of FF1 were dumber

My_car_is_faster_than_you
10-04-2006, 09:24 PM
I would try and heal the D-Cecil, cause I thought that is what a true knight would do. But then I realized I just had to sit there and do nothing.

Fatal Impurity
10-06-2006, 01:52 PM
I would try and heal the D-Cecil, cause I thought that is what a true knight would do. But then I realized I just had to sit there and do nothing.

it just proves that us FF fans shouldnt try to be too clever and should just take a more literal approach lol

Desert Merchant
10-06-2006, 05:43 PM
why do I not remember having to fight him? how exactly does this battle come about, is it optional? I'm sorry its been a long while since I have played but for some reason I dont remember a battle that was this hard.