PDA

View Full Version : What Music Is Good

London Bus Chaser
04-12-2006, 12:56 AM
I've always been unsure of what good music is ... my playlist has all sorts of music from gaming music to Classical, Rock 'n' Roll to R+B ... but recently I've been wondering what music is good music?

Jebus
04-12-2006, 01:29 AM
Good music is all a matter of opinion.

MY opinion.

Therefore, most classical music, as well as more modern artists such as Pink Floyd, Queen, Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, etc are good music.

Ballistix Man
04-12-2006, 01:31 AM
Rap and R'n'B is all thats worth listening to these days.

Dreddz
04-12-2006, 01:33 AM
Everything is Good
Everything Is Bad

All Opinion, anyone being big headed and stating another Genre of music is bad are just being twats.

DeathKnight
04-12-2006, 01:38 AM
What :meditate:I:meditate: like:

-Metal:
-MetallicA, MegadetH, King Diamond, Judas Priest, Motorhead, PanterA, Overkill, KoRn, Godsmack, Dio, Ozzy, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden.
-Rock:
AC/DC
-Ballads:
Enrique Iglesias

Venom
04-12-2006, 02:05 AM
It all depends on what you like hearing I guess.

Hawkeye
04-12-2006, 02:07 AM
Are you asking what kind of music is our culture into right now?

Well, I guess punk really, with greenday and all. But I could be wrong. I don't really care, because I listen to whatever I listen to because I can.

SnoopyG
04-12-2006, 02:12 AM
I'm into the hiphop/r&b thing right now.
But I'm really into trance/techno.
Depends on personal taste

lord shishio
04-12-2006, 02:16 AM

eew, you just lost 10 friendship points, that brings you to the negatives. Rocks the only way to go. :exdee:

Dreddz
04-12-2006, 02:28 AM
<!--^^^ As I said, Twat.-->*snip*

R&B and Rap are pulling out some good tunes at the moment though, if your into that stuff, I recommend downloading some.

Momiji
04-12-2006, 02:32 AM
I personally prefer emo/screamo/punk style rock music such as The Used, My Chemical Romance, Senses Fail, Hawthorne Heights, Matchbook Romance, Fall Out Boy, Silverstein, AFI, and Armor For Sleep. I also like some of the classic stuff, but only a small area of it (Van Halen, Guns n' Roses, Queen...)

Markus. D
04-12-2006, 03:17 AM
whenever the music has an immersive sound in music (MCR - Helena is an example) or random lyrics (Minimoni - Strawberry Pie, listen to it...), I like songs like that :)

Shiny
04-12-2006, 03:31 AM
Good music=real music i.e. "musicians" like Nelly Vanelly and Vanilla Ice don't cut it.

Ramza Beoulve
04-12-2006, 04:18 AM
Well, I like Metal music (MEGADEEEETH!!!!!!!!!!!!) and Classic (Bach), actually, my likes are a little mixed (metal + classic = heaven), but what really matters is what do you like, what moves you, what makes you feel alive, what makes you feel real...

Then, just hear your own music, what makes you be better, and like it n.n

XxSephirothxX
04-12-2006, 04:21 AM
Everybody likes Kung Fu Fighting.

Rice Cake
04-12-2006, 04:30 AM
I know I do.....I like all kinds because I listen to "Weird" Al Yankovic, and he makes fun of everybody :)

Kyros
04-12-2006, 04:32 AM
Here are some of my favorite bands ^_^

Nightwish (miss ya Tarja T_T), Lacuna Coil, Sinergy, Dragonforce, Rhapsody, Vienna Teng, Tool, HIM, Ozzy, Queen, Within Temptation, Theatre of Tragedy, Arch Enemy, Otep, Opeth, and there's prolly some more here and there XD

Anyway, I guess one could say I like random types of metal o.o I also strongly think that pop and rap (currently) really suck and I never want to hear any of it -_-;

Avathar
04-12-2006, 10:50 AM
I love every style of music, except to poppy crap, recent rap and r&b, and dance/trance-kinda stuff.

:kaocheer:http://ckjcwf.ytmnd.com/ <<This music rox my sox:D

The Void
04-12-2006, 11:10 AM
Listen to Joy Division if you want to listen to good music. You won't regret it. :D

MadHero
04-12-2006, 11:43 AM
Good music is all a matter of opinion.

MY opinion.

Therefore, most classical music, as well as more modern artists such as Pink Floyd, Queen, Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, etc are good music.
I agree with this man.

Come again?

Mythra
04-12-2006, 01:02 PM
I\'ll pretty much listen to anything that has a sound that I like. Mainly this is rock, but on occasion I\'ll listen to some gaming music, a little rap, some japanese stuff. So yeah, I have a huge range of music that I like.

Chris
04-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Grace Jones is good music. THE ONLY GOOD MUSIC! I absolutely adore her. If I ever got the chance to meet her, I would kidnap her and keep her for myself. Amazing, we would live forever together as friends, but also as occasional lovers, whilst dancing to her "Slave to the Rhythm" song over and over again. That would be my wildest dream come true! But it'll probably never happen. Thanks for bringing me down with this thread, excuse me while I go slit my wrists.

:(

Avathar
04-12-2006, 02:02 PM
:kaocheer: I love everything! From Apocalyptica to Frank Zappa, and from Marilyn Manson to Bob Marley:love:

Zeldy
04-12-2006, 04:35 PM
Its all opinions. Most of you think The Rasmus should slit their own throats but I would probably kiss it better.

You just gotta find your style/genre of Music and ignore your friends when they say that they are crap, aslong as its good in your ears who cares?
Ive found mine, 3/4 of my Music is by finnish bands.

lady yunalesca
04-12-2006, 11:26 PM
rock and roll baby!!! (70s 80s 90s)

a nirvana fan
04-12-2006, 11:29 PM
Whether music is good or bad is all a matter of opinions.

DMKA
04-12-2006, 11:42 PM
No matter what music you listen to, people are going to bash you for it and say the music is crap and that you're a faggity fag for listening to it.

You can't win.

GooeyToast
04-12-2006, 11:57 PM
No matter what music you listen to, people are going to bash you for it and say the music is crap and that you're a faggity fag for listening to it.

You can't win.

Yeah pretty much

xtreme112
04-13-2006, 12:08 AM
good music is all your opinion, there are lots of different great genres and musicians

but on the other hand each genre has its crappy songs too, some (like rap) have crappy songs overweighing their good songs

DMKA
04-13-2006, 12:10 AM
but on the other hand each genre has its crappy songs too, some (like rap) have crappy songs overweighing their good songs
And like you just said, that's nothing more than your opinion.

Venom
04-13-2006, 12:12 AM
Slayer has some cool songs, Like Hell Awaits.^_^

lady yunalesca
04-13-2006, 11:43 PM
lets not get bogged down in opinion and genre bashing!!! yes, we all know its a matter of opinion but i believe the point of this thread is to share your point of view!! :) get happy people!!!!

Timber Maniac
04-14-2006, 01:45 AM
http://www.last.fm/user/Sylvester/

lady yunalesca
04-16-2006, 02:40 PM
hey venom! :)

noticed you had a wasp sig!! nice choice!! i saw them live once in Nottingham Rock city!! they were awesome! :)

blackmage_nuke
04-16-2006, 02:46 PM
I like listening to any and all genre's of music as long as the song took some skill and effort to compose and/or perform. Even if a song sucks i can appreciate the effort of an artist.

Crushed Hope
04-16-2006, 02:51 PM
I hate when people say that good music is purely subjective, because lets face it, it isn't.

It is a fact that Pain of Salvation are a better band than say, Linkin Park. They are better at playing their instruments and at song writing than Linkin Park will ever be. You can judge good music purely objectively.

jrgen
04-16-2006, 02:56 PM
Music isn't about showing off technical skills with an instrument. What "good song writing" is, is entirely subjective as the intent with the song writing differs. If your intent is to get rich, then Linkin Park have genious song writing skills and if the intent is to make what the author in question considers good music, he himself would be the only one who could judge his music in a fair manner. If music could be judged objectively, it would also completely remove all appreciation of innovation.

Venom
04-16-2006, 03:21 PM
hey venom! :)

noticed you had a wasp sig!! nice choice!! i saw them live once in Nottingham Rock city!! they were awesome! :)

I saw em a while back too with L.A. Guns.:D

Blackie owns

Alive-Cat
04-16-2006, 03:29 PM
I like a lot of different music, but at the moment my favourite band is Nirvana. But if you half that, it turns into -6.

Crushed Hope
04-16-2006, 03:46 PM
Music isn't about showing off technical skills with an instrument. What "good song writing" is, is entirely subjective as the intent with the song writing differs. If your intent is to get rich, then Linkin Park have genious song writing skills and if the intent is to make what the author in question considers good music, he himself would be the only one who could judge his music in a fair manner. If music could be judged objectively, it would also completely remove all appreciation of innovation.

No, there is objectively good song writing. Take a look at Opeth, they are very talented musicians but have a major song writing flaw. They can not properly do transitions. They switch from section to section without a lead in or anything, it is a major error in their way of writing.

There is an objective way to judge just about everything.

jrgen
04-16-2006, 03:59 PM
No, there is objectively good song writing. Take a look at Opeth, they are very talented musicians but have a major song writing flaw. They can not properly do transitions. They switch from section to section without a lead in or anything, it is a major error in their way of writing.
What if that's the way they want it to sound? Everyone experiences a song differently. Some think it's enjoyable to hear a song built up by sections with very sudden transitions, while some enjoy hearing a piece of music where one part of the song smoothly flows into the next. If everyone would follow set rules of what is acceptable in music and what is not, a band like Pain of Salvation could never be.

purplepenguin
04-16-2006, 04:05 PM
Rap and cheesy pop music makes my head hurt.
I like metal like Rammstein, Apocalyptica, Nightwish, Megaherz.
And lots of various gothic rock/metal

purplepenguin
04-16-2006, 04:12 PM
Personly I hate these people that stand with only a mic singing a song that's not their song, they didn't write it. someone wrote it for them and some people are playing the music but the only one that gets the credit is the singer who has the easy bit
So even when I hate rap I know most rap artists write their own music

jrgen
04-16-2006, 08:06 PM
Megaherz
Hmm, that's interesting. It's fun to see they're gaining popularity.

Crushed Hope
04-16-2006, 11:49 PM
Even if they intended to do that, it is still a flaw in their song writing.

Dreddz
04-17-2006, 12:34 AM
Crushed Hope, you cant judge whether a song or band are good or bad simpley by judging whether are good at an instrument. You just cant, its whether the sound they are producing is good. If its pleasing to the ears, then its good music.

Crushed Hope
04-17-2006, 01:37 AM
Crushed Hope, you cant judge whether a song or band are good or bad simpley by judging whether are good at an instrument. You just cant, its whether the sound they are producing is good. If its pleasing to the ears, then its good music.

Actually, objectively instrumental and/or writing proficiany are all that matter when judging a band.

VorpalCyberWolf
04-17-2006, 06:32 AM
Well good could be determined by talent (talent by means of music theorists) or ear candy (What you like listening to)

Personally I have pretty much every kind of music one could think of in my library of 15000+ songs. I actually have an External HDD just for my music.

Rostum
04-17-2006, 07:15 AM
Jeff Buckley. <3

Leeza
04-17-2006, 07:27 AM
The thread starter is banned so I'm closing this before it turns into another way off-topic war of opinions.

purplepenguin: Do not post more than once in a row. Use the edit/delete button if you wish to add to your post.

Dreddz: Do not use offensive language.