PDA

View Full Version : Do you sleep with a fan on?

TasteyPies
04-13-2006, 04:50 AM
While readin the sock thread I came opon a topic that interested me. Do you sleep with a fan on? I do, so does my oldest siter and, aparently, so do other people. I thought this was something odd, to only be able to sleep with a fan on..even if its cold. Does anyone else share this oddity?

Shoeberto
04-13-2006, 04:51 AM
I don't see what's weird about it.

I sleep with a fan on if it's hot.

theundeadhero
04-13-2006, 04:55 AM
Never. It makes it harder for me to fall aleep.

Xaven
04-13-2006, 04:57 AM
The ceiling fan in my bedroom is on pretty much 24/7 during all of the summer. The breeze is a little irritating to the eyes, but it's worth it. During the late fall, winter, and early spring it's too cold to have it going.

Shlup
04-13-2006, 04:59 AM
Topic stealer!

Hells yes I sleep with the fan on. Every night. I'm too freaking cute to sleep with stale air.

Avarice-ness
04-13-2006, 05:00 AM
My dad sleeps with a small fan beside his bed, and I used to do that too when I was little, then I stopped.
But then I started having the ceiling fan on, and now I can't sleep with out it on. I'm almost scared of silence, so I need the noise to get me to sleep since I've always had some kind of noise, be it a fishtank, the Tv, music, a fan..
I used to sleep to music.. but now I just fall asleep to it and wake up about an hour later and turn it off.
So if the fan was off.. I'd never sleep. :p

Kirobaito
04-13-2006, 05:00 AM
If I happen to be hot, I will, but not usually.

rubah
04-13-2006, 05:06 AM
I will, unless it's cold. It's been not-cold a couple of times this year so far.

I like the noise.

Ryth
04-13-2006, 05:13 AM
I only sleep with a fan on when it's hot. The noise bothers me at first, but I get used to it quickly.

Del Murder
04-13-2006, 05:26 AM
Not recently, it's been freaking cold!

Miriel
04-13-2006, 05:31 AM
When I was in middle school, my Mom told me about a college kid who slept with all the doors and windows closed and with the fan on. She said the person suffocated to death.

It wasn't until years and years later that I found out that death by fan (http://www.fandeath.net/index.htm) was a myth that is widely accepted by people in Korea. Isn't that just the strangest thing? My Mom refuses to believe that actually dying by leaving a fan on is almost impossible. She goes on about friends of friends who died that way and blah blah blah.

But still, the idea has been ingrained in my head since I was young. So to get to the point, no I don't sleep with the fan on.

Shlup
04-13-2006, 05:42 AM
...How could you possibly suffocate to death with a fan in the room? That's just bizzare. Freaking Koreans! Because of this story I have decided that all of Korea is crazy and fanatical!

When it's cold I just point the fan away from me, btw. I MUST HAVE MY WHITE NOISE.

TasteyPies
04-13-2006, 06:08 AM
I have slept for the past year or so in a sealed room with a fan running and as you can see I'm alive. Its BS.

Shlup I feel the same way, unless I hear the hum of a fan or I just can't fall asleep.

Samuraid
04-13-2006, 06:14 AM
Yes, I do probably about 60% of the time. Soft background noise helps me sleep.

Yuffie514
04-13-2006, 06:16 AM
i don't like to use the fan, unless i come home extremely hot or something. then i'll just sit right in front of the fan and let the wind blow into my face, xD. i'm like a desert person. a little cold draft and i'll get a small jacket...

yingyang
04-13-2006, 06:19 AM
Me too... it's the White Noise that helps me.

I started when my parents started. My dad had sleeping trouble due to depression so they started sleeping with the fan. At the same time, I was having horrible nightmares. So I eventually got used to it. So they got me a fan for my room too.

I also sleep with about five comforters ( they just get in there, I have no idea how, but they just stay there cause I'm too lazy :/ ) so I'm usually pretty hot. And I don't feel right sleeping without a blanket or something over my atleast stomach.

I think I have odd sleeping habits.. hmm.. oh well.

Zeromus_X
04-13-2006, 06:19 AM
In addition to living across the street from the wall of a highway, and having the fan on when I sleep, I'd say I enjoy background noise when I sleep, since it helps me sleep. I also like the cold, probably because of my location. :cat: So yeah, I must have it! :choc2:

Yamaneko
04-13-2006, 06:41 AM
Only in the summer. The noise doesn't bother me.

VorpalCyberWolf
04-13-2006, 06:56 AM
When Im at my folk's house I have my fan on almost all the time. As for my Dorm, my Air Conditioner Unit is right next to my bed and almost always on as well.

Miriel
04-13-2006, 07:02 AM
I have slept for the past year or so in a sealed room with a fan running and as you can see I'm alive. Its BS.

Of course it's BS. Just like it's BS that having sex underwater will prevent pregnancy. People still believe it though.

Yamaneko
04-13-2006, 07:09 AM
Unless you happen to sleep in a vacuum. Then again, a fan wouldn't work in a vacuum.

Jess
04-13-2006, 12:42 PM
No, the noise would keep me awake. If it's hot I just open the window.

DynasticJam
04-13-2006, 12:46 PM
Only when its hot, the only problem is the fan produces noise and so I sometimes find it hard to get to sleep. :D

Shauna
04-13-2006, 12:48 PM
I don't own a fan, but if I did, I wouldn't. My room is cold enough, so if my feet get too warm under my blankets, I just stick them out into the coldness! :D

Zeldy
04-13-2006, 12:55 PM
Never at home, I just throw the duvet on the floor If Im hot ^__^ If I go on holiday to somewhere really hot then I have a fan otherwise you stick to the sheets, which is so gross xD

Spiffing Cheese
04-13-2006, 01:02 PM
No, but I sleep with the window open. It's funny; I can't sleep with no noise, but with my window open all I hear is drunken people wandering up and down the street from the pubs, and I can sleep through that. :D

crono_logical
04-13-2006, 01:08 PM
The first thing I thought this thread would be about when I read the title was that it would be entirely devoted to the bashing of the korean belief of fan death :p

Old Manus
04-13-2006, 01:12 PM
No, but I cannot sleep without the radio on o_O

Rye
04-13-2006, 02:25 PM
I don't have a fan (well, I do, but it sucks), but in the summer, I complain until my parents turn on the Central AC on really cold because I get insomnia in the summer because I just can't sleep when it's hot. I can't do it. I usually end up getting to sleep at 11:00 PM and waking up at 3:00 AM. But I can sleep if the AC is on. :)

I'm a bit picky because I need an extremely light lamp and a TV on when and a good temperature before I can go to bed. It's hard for me tosleep otherwise.

Resha
04-13-2006, 02:33 PM
Yes indeed. I love the hum of the fan -- I sleep with both fan and air con on. I like my room cold.

Shaun
04-13-2006, 02:35 PM
What the hell's with all these sleeping topics lately? No, I don't. A fan's disturbing, and with the unbelievable coldness of my house, I'm usually cool enough anyway. I have to hug the covers for ages because it's so cold! XD

SammieBabe
04-13-2006, 05:21 PM
Yeah, every night. My husband puts of more body heat than any other human. The heat combined with the heat from the weather would damn near choke me..

Rocket Edge
04-14-2006, 01:32 AM
no need for fans where i live

RSL
04-14-2006, 02:08 AM
Yes, in the summer I sure do. I have it on high and blasting right on me. I want to be as cold as possible so I can wrap myself in blankets. I can only sleep if wrapped in blankets and when it's hot out, that would be miserable.

I also need some kind of background noise as otherwise my upstairs neighbors would keep my up all night. For some reason, I can sleep right through the drone of the fan (in fact, almost need it to sleep.) But hearing what those guys are fighting about or watching on TV would keep me up all night long.

You may be wondering (if you've even read this far) how I sleep in the winter then. It is too cold to have a fan on. I use a really noisey space heater as my apartment gets really cold in the winter (which I like, to a point. Sometimes it is too cold.) It keeps it warm enough so I can sleep comfortably (but still wrapped in blankets, mind you) and the rattle drowns out the morons upstairs and I can sleep the night away.

Ki Ki
04-14-2006, 02:17 AM
I always do. I love wind and since I live on the first floor, I don't get much of it. That's when Roger comes into the picture! <3 :D

Ouch!
04-14-2006, 03:40 AM
I can't sleep unless my room is frigid. I have the fan going in the middle of winter.

XxSephirothxX
04-14-2006, 03:44 AM
I don't sleep with a fan on. The noise would bother me a little, but I could sleep through it. I've got AC in my room, though, which is much better than a fan, even if it is a little loud. I probably use it 4 or 5 months out of the year.

BahamutGurl
04-16-2006, 12:20 AM
I have to have my fan on, even if it's cold. I can fall asleep easier that way. It's weird. My mom and brother do it too

Dreddz
04-16-2006, 12:24 AM
I enjoy sleeping with no covers and a heater on. If I had a fan, I might try sleep with it on. But it dosent intrest me so much.

BahamutGurl
04-16-2006, 12:28 AM
I love being buried in covers:)

Acid Raine
04-16-2006, 12:42 AM
lol wut? gtfo! no way!

kikimm
04-16-2006, 01:42 AM
Definitely not. I'm already freezing enough as it is, I don't need a fan to make it worse. Plus, I've slept with a fan on before, and the sound really irritated me; I have to hear when some psycho murderer/rapist tries to come into my house! :D

Acid Raine
04-16-2006, 02:44 AM
I have to hear when some psycho murderer/rapist tries to come into my house! :D
Quit flattering yourself :p

-N-
04-16-2006, 02:54 AM
http://www.dodgybarnet.com/images/fan.gif

BahamutGurl
04-16-2006, 04:32 AM
lol wut? gtfo! no way!
Way:D

rubah
04-16-2006, 04:58 AM
I don't sleep with a fan on. The noise would bother me a little, but I could sleep through it. I've got AC in my room, though, which is much better than a fan, even if it is a little loud. I probably use it 4 or 5 months out of the year.
You have ac in your room? Is that to mean that it's not central air and more like a window unit?

So saith the ac geek.

Jebus
04-16-2006, 05:13 AM
Two standing fans, plus the celing fan. Even when the central air is on.

I need to keep my room between 40 and 50 degrees. Although I have tropical birds, so I compromise at around 54, cause they're fine so long as there's no breeze, and I keep my fans in the bedroom away from them.

Rase
04-16-2006, 05:49 AM
Not unless it's unbearably hot. I hate the sound fans make.

Reles
04-16-2006, 07:59 AM
I sleep in the basement, where it's quite cold down here, even in 100 degree weather. Though I do like having the heater on.

Yuna-Lenne
04-16-2006, 10:00 AM
We don't even have fans in our house but sometimes it gets VERY hot in the summer which makes it almost impossible to sleep with ANY covers, so I imagine it would be easier to sleep with some background noise. I am also one of those people who has to be wrapped in bed covers to get to sleep. :p

Erdrick Holmes
04-16-2006, 10:18 AM
I can't sleep WITHOUT at least two fans running reguardless of what time of the year it is. I'm 1/3 Polar Bear, I can't survive long in temperatures of 60 degrees or higher.