PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever restart, on grounds such as "incomplete playing"?

Peter_20
04-13-2006, 11:14 AM
I simply can't play a game I'm familiar with, if I know that this file is a much worse version of a previous one.
I restarted FF8 a few days ago, and I really was eager to get into the really fun moments as fast as possible (after all, the first five hours make you fall asleep, damn it :D:rolleyes2), and doing this, I missed lots of stuff that I usually get.
For example, I learnt the "wrong" Abilties; I usually get Card and the X Bonus Abilities right away, but this time I was just going like "nah, ain't got the patience, I WILL PROCEED NOW!".
Suddenly, I found myself thinking "what the hell? I usually have all of those last elemental tiers and Death at this moment!"
Then I got fed up with the file and restarted the whole thing, playing much more strategically and even took full advantage of the Mid Mag-RF Ability (you know what I mean about "full advantage" :D) before even heading for Timber.

This occurs for all FF games, and usually some other games as well:
I simply can't play a game if I feel heavily "inferior" to another, earlier file; it kinda feels hopeless.

Hinky the Pickle
04-13-2006, 12:04 PM
This is one of the problems I have with Final Fantasy VI. Generally, I don't like to read walkthroughs for games, but at the same time I like to try and get a "perfect" game as often as possible, so when I miss something significant and find out there's no way to obtain it I kick myself in the ass. Final Fantasy VI has many moments when stuff like this occurs and it makes me frustrated to no end, 'cause for me it basically means I'm going to have to start over from the beginning.

Peter_20
04-13-2006, 03:50 PM
This is one of the problems I have with Final Fantasy VI. Generally, I don't like to read walkthroughs for games, but at the same time I like to try and get a "perfect" game as often as possible, so when I miss something significant and find out there's no way to obtain it I kick myself in the ass. Final Fantasy VI has many moments when stuff like this occurs and it makes me frustrated to no end, 'cause for me it basically means I'm going to have to start over from the beginning.Yeah, it's pretty frustrating, always having to keep track on all of those damn items.

"What the hell? Didn't I just miss that Charm Bangle?

...crap."

Cruise Control
04-13-2006, 03:53 PM
ff1, I'll get bored with my party, and restart. So I'm using monks to plow through before this happens again.

Peter_20
04-13-2006, 04:01 PM
ff1, I'll get bored with my party, and restart. So I'm using monks to plow through before this happens again.I always used the Fighter/Thief/White Mage/Black Mage party.
FF1 doesn't contain any miss-able items, though.

Cruise Control
04-13-2006, 04:06 PM
Yeah, so. LUA.

ljkkjlcm9
04-13-2006, 07:28 PM
I hate finding out I missed something in a game, and that's the point at which I typically start over, when I find I missed something, but if I'm too far into the game, I get really annoyed and never play the game again for a very very long time.

THE JACKEL

lady yunalesca
04-13-2006, 11:59 PM
i keep lots and lots of files, so if i miss something i go back a file, i have the bug too!! if i dont have EVERYTHING then i just done feel that i have played the game!!! :)

BG-57
04-26-2006, 11:10 PM
I've restarted games to get everything in FFVII, FFVIII, and Tactics.

I found FFVII especially frustrating because:

a) I'm not good at shooters so I passed up Parasol and Flayer at Speed Square.

b) I didn't know about the Pandora's Box problem, so I was climbing the walls in frustration trying to get those lousy Dragon Zombies to cast it.

c) I didn't know about the W-Item glitch either, so I found it frustrating to fill my inventory with rare drops. Especially Earth Mallets.

FFVIII was more fun, especially Triple Triad. Getting a full set of cards was often frustrating but very addictive.

Tactics had me bothered because I didn't get the rare versions of Javelin and Escutcheon. Also I missed a rare Treasure in the Propositions. My latest save not only has both, but eventually I want all my units to learn Zodiac and master every job.

For its faults, FFX-2 is a godsend for those who miss stuff the first time around with the New Game+ feature. I really wish Square Enix would adopt it in the main FF series.

rubah
04-27-2006, 12:02 AM
I restarted ff4 because it ttly bored me the first time. and ff6 because I got lost in narshe xD That was the start of a long and bitter haetin'.

Angel Heart
04-27-2006, 01:04 PM
All the time. I'm a perfectionist, i hate it when i forget something or am not doing as good as i could be.

It's worse with Final Fantasy though.:rolleyes2

Twilight Edge
04-27-2006, 01:51 PM
I restarted so many times(especially VII about 5/6 times) I LTD.

Shin Gouken
04-27-2006, 01:52 PM
I restarted ff4 because it ttly bored me the first time. and ff6 because I got lost in narshe xD That was the start of a long and bitter haetin'.

ive restarted ffiv three times in total and have still never finished it

Ryth
04-27-2006, 03:48 PM
I had restarted FFX and knowing 100% what to do, I just kinda zoomed through a good deal of the game, my characters were underpowered and all with little skills so I deleted the file. I haven't made a new one yet.

fire_of_avalon
04-27-2006, 05:13 PM
Yes. I do this all the time. It is a disease, or so says my boyfriend. He takes the games away from me sometimes. :(

InuYashaON
04-27-2006, 10:20 PM
Yes, in FFVII, but only because I didn't level up enough, most of my characters still had 4500HP with the HP Boost (forgot the materia's exact name) when they fought Bizzaro Sephiroth, I figured a loonnnng battle with him is not worth it.