PDA

View Full Version : Japaneses hate Europeans...

Peter_20
04-13-2006, 04:11 PM
Why do we Europeans always get dissed by Japaneses? :(
For some reason, we're always ignored, especially when it comes to RPG:s, which sucks.
I've experienced this scenario MULTIPLE times now, and it starts pissing me off.
Americans at least got to enjoy a handful of those fantastic works from Japan, like Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger; we Europeans didn't even get those titles exported over here, and I'm mostly forced to rely on emulators.

Seriously, the only RPG:s I can remember really coming to Europe are these: Secret of Mana and Breath of Fire 2.
I'm serious, these are the ONLY ones!
We didn't even get Super Mario RPG!
WTF?! :eek::(:mad::confused:

Now it's not THAT bad, we did get the "required" stuff like Super Mario World, Zelda: A Link To the Past
and Street Fighter, but still...

Dreddz
04-13-2006, 04:24 PM
Ive complained about this for ages, then decided to stick up two fingers to them all and chip my PS2.

Ballistix Man
04-13-2006, 04:25 PM
Meh sucks to be European I guess.

MecaKane
04-13-2006, 04:36 PM
Blame your peers, not the Japanese.

edczxcvbnm
04-13-2006, 04:39 PM
Japan hates every other country because they feel every other country can't handle their raw excellence...or something.

Sucks to be Europian though :D

amratis
04-13-2006, 05:12 PM
Dont get me started, theres no Pal versions of Xenogears, or Suikoden. Its so sucky. You can get Xenosaga II for Pal, and I've seen Suikoden IV over here, but nothing in the series before that. And thats just the tip of the iceberg. :mad2:

Peter_20
04-13-2006, 05:36 PM
Dont get me started, theres no Pal versions of Xenogears, or Suikoden. Its so sucky. You can get Xenosaga II for Pal, and I've seen Suikoden IV over here, but nothing in the series before that. And thats just the tip of the iceberg. :mad2:Allow me to introduce the tip of the iceberg; THIS is, like, 5% of what we Europeans never saw:

Final Fantasy 4 (aka 2)
Final Fantasy 6 (aka 3)
Chrono Trigger
Star Ocean 1, 2
Breath of Fire 1, 3, 4, 5...
Seiken Densetsu 1, 3, 4, 5...
Super Mario RPG
Xenogears

IT SUCKS!!! :mad2::(:mad:

Dreddz
04-13-2006, 05:55 PM
Dont get me started, theres no Pal versions of Xenogears, or Suikoden. Its so sucky. You can get Xenosaga II for Pal, and I've seen Suikoden IV over here, but nothing in the series before that. And thats just the tip of the iceberg. :mad2:
Actually, All the Suikodens were released in Europe, except the third. The first two are very rare though. The fifth is coming out here, but expect there to be a long long wait.
Thats another thing, even if we get games, we have to wait for soooooo long to get them. DQVIII has just come out, after around 5 months of waiting. But thats nothing compared to the wait we had for FFVIII, we had to wait nearly a Year after it came out everywhere else. And im not joking on that one.

Shiny
04-13-2006, 06:14 PM
Probably the only reason Europeans don't recieve some games is because Europeans use PAL and Japan uses NTSC which is the same thing that U.S. uses as well. So I guess it's easier for them to export games in the same format. That's why they don't bother making some games for PAL. Too much work? *shrug(we need a shrug smilie)*

Zeldy
04-13-2006, 06:40 PM
Its just something we've got to put up with. Yes, it is unfair, but theres nothing you can do about it unless you decide to move to America or Japan.

Behold the Void
04-13-2006, 07:01 PM
Japan releases games that are profitable to them. They're not going to make games that will work for the European system if there isn't enough European market to justify the conversion expense.

TheAbominatrix
04-13-2006, 07:04 PM
I dont know much about European games since obviously I've never had to deal with them, but don't the games have multiple languages encoded? That'd certainly add to the time it takes to import them, along with conversion efforts and all that.

Plus BtV is right as usual.

Also, one more thing. Japanese. No s needed. Please.

Shlup
04-13-2006, 07:15 PM
It's not the Japanese that hate Europeans. It's everyone.

Erdrick Holmes
04-13-2006, 07:45 PM
Don't complain, at least Europe got a PS2 version of GGX2 #Reload and SNK Vs Capcom.

Mirage
04-13-2006, 07:51 PM
The work needed to make a game run on PAL systems is insignificant compared with the time needed to translate the game to english. To make it even easier, they could just leave it running at 60 hz, and only change the signal type to PAL. Most TVs made the last 10 years can run at 60hz anyway. I know they did this with Wind Waker.

Ofcourse, the best thing would be to get rid of regional codings alltogether, and just set the video format on the fly, like PC games have done the last 20 years.

Dreddz
04-13-2006, 07:59 PM
Probably the only reason Europeans don't recieve some games is because Europeans use PAL and Japan uses NTSC which is the same thing that U.S. uses as well. So I guess it's easier for them to export games in the same format. That's why they don't bother making some games for PAL. Too much work? *shrug(we need a shrug smilie)*
Actually, Japan use NTSC-J, while in the US they use NTSC. Japanese games wont work on US consoles.
Some good news for you though, the PS3 will be Region Free. So you dont have to worry anymore if the EU dont get any games.

TheAbominatrix
04-14-2006, 12:58 AM
I dont think the difference betwen NTSC-J and NTSC are as numerous as the differences between NTSC-J and PAL.

MecaKane
04-14-2006, 02:00 AM
I don't thnik there is a difference. It's just like putting region codes on DVDs. Works fine if it they player has the right code.

TheAbominatrix
04-14-2006, 02:10 AM
But if there wasnt a difference, wouldnt PAL just be NTSC-E or something like that? PAL has to be at least a little different. I really have no clue, though.

Madame Adequate
04-14-2006, 02:31 AM
Allow me to introduce the tip of the iceberg; THIS is, like, 5% of what we Europeans never saw:

Final Fantasy 4 (aka 2)
Final Fantasy 6 (aka 3)
Chrono Trigger
Star Ocean 1, 2
Breath of Fire 1, 3, 4, 5...
Seiken Densetsu 1, 3, 4, 5...
Super Mario RPG
Xenogears

In England we got Suikoden I, II, and IV, Star Ocean 2, Breath of Fire III and IV, and re-releases of the pre-VI FF games.

I do think the situation is a joke, just pointing out a couple of errors in your statement.

Hopefully, if they follow through their promises to make the PS3 region-free, we'll be in far better shape here to get games released in Japan and America.

MecaKane
04-14-2006, 02:47 AM
But if there wasnt a difference, wouldnt PAL just be NTSC-E or something like that? PAL has to be at least a little different. I really have no clue, though.
Oh, PAL's very different yah.
I meant NSTC-J and NSTC. They just add the region codes in there so they won't play on systems in other countries.

Erdrick Holmes
04-14-2006, 06:39 AM
Did you guys get the Phantasy Star games? I heard that Europe got PSIV before the US did.

Dreddz
04-14-2006, 09:46 AM
No, we got PSIV nearly 2 years after everwhere else :rolleyes2

Markus. D
04-14-2006, 12:58 PM
which is a real shame.

Dreddz
04-14-2006, 01:53 PM
One reason why i think I was ignorant was because I acted like EU was the worst off, Australia is usually a worse off than the EU. Although sometimes they do get it better than us.

Madame Adequate
04-14-2006, 01:57 PM
One reason why i think I was ignorant was because I acted like EU was the worst off, Australia is usually a worse off than the EU. Although sometimes they do get it better than us.

That's true, Australia often gets shafted as well. What's importing from the US into Aus like though? For some reason I have the idea that it's pretty easy to do *Shrug*

nik0tine
04-14-2006, 03:26 PM
I'm fairly certain there are adaptors that will let you play NTSC games, so you could just get one of those.

Dreddz
04-14-2006, 03:50 PM
You usually chip your console to play Imports, or get a boot disc.
Whats this about adapters ?

Mirage
04-14-2006, 03:57 PM
Yes, those would be known as modchips, and a good one costs about as much as a new game. And then you have to install it, which often involves soldering, and therefore you're risking fucking up your console. You could ofcourse get some knowledgeable guy to do it for you, but those guys rarely give you a refund if they accidentially mess up. Boot disks are cheaper, but far less convenient to use. You also need a different boot disk to play PS1 games, and you can't make your DVD region-free at the same time.
All the chips do is to bypass the region (and copy) protection and alter the output for foreign games. That only proves how easy it would be for the manufacturers to let us play whatever games we wanted. However, they wish to control themselves when we are allowed to play this and that, just like the movie companies want to do with DVD regions.

Rostum
04-15-2006, 12:27 AM
I'm fairly certain there are adaptors that will let you play NTSC games, so you could just get one of those.

Now I'm curious...

fantasyjunkie
04-15-2006, 12:37 AM
What is "PAL" and "NTSC"? I've never heard these terms before.

Mirage
04-15-2006, 12:57 AM
Video signal formats. Japan and America both use a version of NTSC, while Europe uses the newer and better (but still outdated) format PAL.

DeathKnight
04-15-2006, 01:04 AM
Why? one simple fact, you're all in different countries, with different policies, with different languages, and different customs.

It's hard for them to make a game which won't offend or violate each of Europe's countries' customs and laws and views and LANGUAGES.

The U.S. is one country with one MAIN language so it's kinda easier.

:tonberry:

Dreddz
04-15-2006, 01:42 AM
PAL is not better, it uses 50fps while NTSC uses 60fps. Meaning we get fat black borders above and below our screen. Not cool :eep:
Theres options to get NTSC signals in games, but some dont. Which is lame.

MecaKane
04-15-2006, 03:01 AM
That's 29fps, and 24. And the borders I think are from the difference in resolution.

NM
04-15-2006, 11:16 AM
The fps of PAL has nothing to do with the big fat borders on the screen.

The borders come from the fact PAL has more output lines to make up the picture than NTSC. So to fill in the space you get those black borders, which is what causes the squashed image.

The fps' affect on the game is that an NTSC game will run faster than a PAL game by something like 17% I think.

Mirage
04-15-2006, 11:32 AM
You can run PAL at 60 Hz too, it's just not the standard. That's what fighting games with a 60Hz mode do, as well as Wind Waker. I find it annoying when a game does not have a 60Hz option, or is not re-optimized for 50Hz. Just look at Tidus, it looks like he's walking on the moon.

So yeah, PAL is better, games are just not optimized for it, becuase the game companies don't care, because the games sell anyway.

Peter_20
04-15-2006, 07:53 PM

That's no excuse, because almost all of the European countries use the English versions, including Sweden.
I never played a single video game in Swedish; all of my games are in English, and this concerns practically all of the other European countries as well. :choc2:

Nåja, det gör inget, för engelska äger ändå! :D
"Oh well, it's alright, cuz English rules anyway!" :D

å = 'a' in "war"
ä = 'ai' in "chair"
ö = 'i' in "bird"

:choc2:

Shiny
04-15-2006, 08:12 PM
Why? one simple fact, you're all in different countries, with different policies, with different languages, and different customs.

It's hard for them to make a game which won't offend or violate each of Europe's countries' customs and laws and views and LANGUAGES.

U.S. has two main languages, English and Spanish. But I agree that it's somewhat a difference of cultures. Although I don't think Square seems to care about offending people based on some of the things they put in Final Fantasy (FF7 and FF X-2 especially).

Dreddz
04-15-2006, 08:43 PM
So yeah, PAL is better, games are just not optimized for it, becuase the game companies don't care, because the games sell anyway.
How though, we dont get better picture quality or nothing. It just seems like more hassle.

Shiny
04-15-2006, 08:50 PM
PAL is better because altough you may not realize it the quality is much better than NTSC. Which means less lines across the screen and clearer all together.

Mikeneko Rocker -- Tim
04-15-2006, 11:40 PM
Game-wise, yes... beside the aforementioned evidences, need I remind everyone that DDR is called Dancing Stage in Europe! WTF?

Otherwise, I've been hearing about the Japanese being Europhiles...

DeathKnight
04-16-2006, 12:06 AM
That's no excuse, because almost all of the European countries use the English versions, including Sweden.
I never played a single video game in Swedish; all of my games are in English, and this concerns practically all of the other European countries as well. :choc2:

Nåja, det gör inget, för engelska äger ändå! :D
"Oh well, it's alright, cuz English rules anyway!" :D

å = 'a' in "war"
ä = 'ai' in "chair"
ö = 'i' in "bird"

:choc2:

NO you're wrong, more than half of the world speaks Spanish so no English doesn't rule.

Anyway if I"m right some games are translated in Italian, Spanish, French, and Portuguese.

Mirage
04-16-2006, 12:09 AM
I think FFX had subtitles in other languages than english in certain countries. Most European countries just settle with the English version though. In my opinion, they should just screw other languages and keep it to english-only.
And this is coming from someone whose first language isn't English.

Dreddz
04-16-2006, 12:26 AM
That really isnt fair though, is it.

Mirage
04-16-2006, 01:02 AM
Why isn't it? Most Europeans know english. Releasing a game in English-only would enable 95% of the gamers to play it, contra 0% if they chose not to release it because it was too much work translating it to 5 languages. Everybody wins.

DeathKnight
04-16-2006, 01:07 AM
Why isn't it? Most Europeans know english. Releasing a game in English-only would enable 95% of the gamers to play it, contra 0% if they chose not to release it because it was too much work translating it to 5 languages. Everybody wins.

So you're telling me Spaniards, Italians, and Portugueses speak english? give me a break, they don't even attempt it.

fantasyjunkie
04-16-2006, 03:36 AM
Video signal formats. Japan and America both use a version of NTSC, while Europe uses the newer and better (but still outdated) format PAL.
Thanks for the info :)

Mirage
04-16-2006, 03:48 AM
I know several portugese persons who know English. I don't know any italian or spanish persons who do, but that's because I've never seen one of them online. And if they don't want to learn perhaps the most useful language on this planet, well, suck to be them.

Dreddz
04-16-2006, 11:08 AM
You say most speak english, meaning you accept the fact that some dont. Thus, my point stands. Its unfair.

DeathKnight
04-16-2006, 03:59 PM
I know several portugese persons who know English. I don't know any italian or spanish persons who do, but that's because I've never seen one of them online. And if they don't want to learn perhaps the most useful language on this planet, well, suck to be them.

Wow this makes me sick:barf:

Crysis
04-17-2006, 02:28 PM
So you're telling me Spaniards, Italians, and Portugueses speak english? give me a break, they don't even attempt it.
thats not true. Im from Portugal and we here learn english at school, its part of our education here. I dont care much if they translate a game to portuguese or not, because i try to stick with the original version, thought it would be better to have more translated games for the kids.

Another thing, you said that all the european countries have a different video format? Thats not true, i think Western and Central Europe have the Pal system and only Russia and some other ex-sovietic countries (Bielorussia,Ucrain..) have a different system.

Anyways i dont think this video format will be a problem in the future, since i saw somewhere that, at least the PS3 games (dont know about the xbox), will be compatible with all formats.

~SapphireStar~
04-17-2006, 06:25 PM
Its just something we've got to put up with. Yes, it is unfair

DeathKnight
04-17-2006, 08:04 PM
thats not true. Im from Portugal and we here learn english at school, its part of our education here. I dont care much if they translate a game to portuguese or not, because i try to stick with the original version, thought it would be better to have more translated games for the kids.

Another thing, you said that all the european countries have a different video format? Thats not true, i think Western and Central Europe have the Pal system and only Russia and some other ex-sovietic countries (Bielorussia,Ucrain..) have a different system.

Anyways i dont think this video format will be a problem in the future, since i saw somewhere that, at least the PS3 games (dont know about the xbox), will be compatible with all formats.

So every school in Portugal teaches english? Now that's weird. If it were my country I would ban english from being thought in schools.

English speaking people would rather laugh to death before attempting to learn to speak other languages (not all but most)

BatChao
04-18-2006, 08:08 AM
Maybe the market for Japanese RPGs isn't that big in Europe?

Madame Adequate
04-18-2006, 12:31 PM
So every school in Portugal teaches english? Now that's weird. If it were my country I would ban english from being thought in schools.

English speaking people would rather laugh to death before attempting to learn to speak other languages (not all but most)

Which is why in much of America and Britain it's compulsory to take a foreign language in school, I presume. :rolleyes2 (Honestly, I might be wrong on the America part, but most people I've spoken to have to take it for at least a couple of years.) You can get out of it in Britain, but only if you go very intensely down the art and design route.

Mirage
04-19-2006, 03:30 PM
You say most speak english, meaning you accept the fact that some dont. Thus, my point stands. Its unfair.

They don't translate it to Swedish, Danish, Icelandic, Bosnian, Egyptian, Moroccian, Arabic, Mongolian or Norwegian either. I'm sure you can find a few people who don't know English in these countries too. OMG UNFAIR.
And yes, I'm aware that some of these languages are spoken in several countries, such as Arabic.

DeathKnight
04-19-2006, 03:46 PM
Which is why in much of America and Britain it's compulsory to take a foreign language in school, I presume. :rolleyes2 (Honestly, I might be wrong on the America part, but most people I've spoken to have to take it for at least a couple of years.) You can get out of it in Britain, but only if you go very intensely down the art and design route.

Yes yes, we take different languages here in the U.S. But c'mon it's not like we really learn it well :rolleyes2

Now, if they focused 2 school hours from K-12 grades with 1 or 2 languages in mind then you'd be saying something. But if I'm right, here in the U.S. we don't start taking foreign language classes 'till Junior High (middle school) and if we do it's only 1 school hour or less which really doesn't allow us to learn it. :irked:

Crysis
04-22-2006, 06:33 PM

yes and french too on the later years... its better to know some languages than just to know 1 language, allows you to go work on any country you want and be more competitive...

you dont care to learn other languages because US is the biggest market nowadays and because of that the english is the main language...

But maybe you will have to learn Chinese in 20 years or so since they'll be the biggest economy by then... xD

PAL is not better, it uses 50fps while NTSC uses 60fps. Meaning we get fat black borders above and below our screen. Not cool :eep:
Theres options to get NTSC signals in games, but some dont. Which is lame.

its not 50fps... its 50Hz. Fps are frames per second and Hz is the frequency the tv or monitor refreshes the screen. Fps cant vary like you said... since the system is the same...

Necron
04-24-2006, 05:51 PM
Allow me to introduce the tip of the iceberg; THIS is, like, 5% of what we Europeans never saw:

Final Fantasy 4 (aka 2)
Final Fantasy 6 (aka 3)

So wait, what Final Fantasy 6 do we have then?

starseeker
04-24-2006, 06:46 PM
He means we didn't get it first time round.

Old Manus
04-24-2006, 07:33 PM
The reason is nobody is going to buy the games