PDA

View Full Version : Right Analog - Camera vs. Menu select

GhandiOwnsYou
04-13-2006, 07:05 PM
Ok, i know, a lot of people had gripes about the camera in KH 1.

So i'm hear to get a lil' reaction from whoever has an opinion. I always thought in the original, the control system was far more intuitive, as far as the menu was concerned, than in KH II. it all boils down the the right analog stick. With the right analog stick mapped to menu selections, you could resonably navigate the menu and still manage to dodge attacks by whatever nasty is trying to kill you. in KH II, giving sole control to the D pad, you were largely left to hammer attack, or by some miracle, work your way into a corner away from the boss for long enough to choose a spell or summon. at the very lest they could have given an R2 L2 option to scroll up and down the menu. also, there was that especiall agravating side by side menu that they've become so fond of as of late. it had a nasty habit of choosing to switch menus whenever i'd try to select a drive form (which ended up being the only reason i would move the cursor from Attack), and i'd end up with a limit instead of a drive.

Anywho, i love the game, this is really my sole gripe. just seeing if i'm insane or if anyone else agrees with me.

SeeDRankLou
04-13-2006, 07:51 PM
Tsk, tsk....you should always read the instruction manual :tongue:
You can hold L2 and the right analog navigates the menu. Otherwise, it control the camera, an improvement to say the least.

Tavrobel
04-13-2006, 08:04 PM
I like the right analog stick selecting the camera movement. It's defintiely better than KHI, where you had to wait until after the battle, unless you liked dying while trying to set it up so it's easy.

Holding L2 makes it so that the Right Analog stick does menus, also. Having doubles menus was definitely more convenient, and I found it more useful than not, especially Change. Of course the MAIN problem with KHII, is that it was much more button mashing than KHI.

I liked having 4 shortcuts, but I only used three anyways, as I'm too scared to use the O button, for fear it will close my shortcut screen (even though it doesn't and is only open while holding L1). I did develop a painful hatred for the new R1 style, instead of holding R1 to lock on, you simply pressed it, so if I let go and pressed it again, it would de-lock, and I'd wind up attacking something else, which often made me die... many... many times...

Mercen-X
04-13-2006, 11:54 PM
Tsk, tsk....you should always read the instruction manual :tongue:
You can hold L2 and the right analog navigates the menu. Otherwise, it control the camera, an improvement to say the least.
I've never read the manual either. Sad as it might be pretty interesting. Good info. :up:

I did develop a painful hatred for the new R1 style, instead of holding R1 to lock on, you simply pressed it, so if I let go and pressed it again, it would de-lock, and I'd wind up attacking something else, which often made me die... many... many times...
I hate that R2 and L2 can't be used to change targets anymore. I use target lock while near the enemy I want attack, then another enemy gets closer and I end up locked on that cracker. Then I have to de-lock and chase after my initial target again.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
04-14-2006, 01:08 AM
I've never read the manual either. Sad as it might be pretty interesting. Good info. :up:

I hate that R2 and L2 can't be used to change targets anymore. I use target lock while near the enemy I want attack, then another enemy gets closer and I end up locked on that cracker. Then I have to de-lock and chase after my initial target again.
yea i hate it too

ehsteve
04-14-2006, 05:42 AM
If you really wanted to, you can go to the configuration section of the menu and make it so the right analog stick controls the HUD, and only moves the camera if R2 is held down. However, I didn't bother, as I rotated the camera much more than I navigated my mini-menu. However, I would definitely recommend that you reverse the horizontal camera controls and see if it works better for you (It worked MUCH beter for me).

Neo Blackheart
04-14-2006, 02:35 PM
Eh I haven't played it yet much

Tifa's Real Lover(really
04-14-2006, 03:07 PM
the new system is better ne wayz

OathKeeper
04-19-2006, 05:59 AM
to be honost with you people I really didnt care for the camera in KH1 when I heard complaints I didnt even realize it

GhandiOwnsYou
04-19-2006, 10:43 AM
hmm.. didn't know that shortcut. I stopped reading manuals after they started putting all the control information in idiot proof format for the first three hours of gaming. It always felt pointless, seeing as how you knew some know it all teacher or elder was going to be like "did you know selecting attack and pressing the X button will allow you to attack your enemies? here, show me by finishing these three enemies!" for the first few hours anyway. guess they forgot to idiot proof that lil' shortcut.