PDA

View Full Version : Monks :O!

Markus. D
04-14-2006, 04:47 AM
what subs well for a Monk solo class?

>_<?

Rostum
04-14-2006, 05:58 AM
Later on MNK/NIN and MNK/WHM is good. But /WAR only for parties.

Markus. D
04-14-2006, 09:57 AM
thank you :D

can I have an ability list on whats learned from the cestus?

thanks again in advance :)

chionos
04-17-2006, 04:56 PM
i've pt's w/ some /thf in pts before for fun, really isn't bad. mnks are not really a soloable class, they have potential for incredible fast bursts of damage, and are freakin awesome btw in cop bcnms. But they are not soloable like Nin or Thf or Rdm, bc they don't have long-run durability which is really what soloing is all about.
subs
mnk/whm for chiblasting HNM's like Kirin

mnk/nin for some mission bcnms, and ksnm(thinking ODS) and also for mid-level soloing

mnk/war standard xp pt sub, actually the standard sub for most instances.

mnk/thf just for having fun, mnks don't sataws as well as jobs like sam or drk, but it's still viable enough to not turn ppl off, and it's something that can be done when someone's bored to tears of mnk/war

oh and someone mentioned this in another thread: i don't understand why you would delete/remake characters like you do. People that do that, in my experience, are ppl who like making characters but have no inspiration to do anything with the game or don't have the determination or skill to go further, and are generally wasting their time, though if that's what you want to do, go for it. just seems like such a waste to me. changing from one job to another is fine, but makes so much more sense to lvl the other job on the same character. If you just like building characters there are better games than ffxi for that. ffxi is only a mediocre game for the first 65 or so levels. after that it's the best, but before it's just monotonous lvling up in boring areas and doing stupid uninspired missions. to each his own though i guess

Beyond
04-17-2006, 06:02 PM
Playing as a Galka instead of a Taru is almost the same as playing WAR instead of THF.

Or maybe people just don't like the player name "Sephirosxx".

Both are perfectly legitimate reasons to delete/remake a character.

Markus. D
04-18-2006, 09:57 AM
i've pt's w/ some /thf in pts before for fun, really isn't bad. mnks are not really a soloable class, they have potential for incredible fast bursts of damage, and are freakin awesome btw in cop bcnms. But they are not soloable like Nin or Thf or Rdm, bc they don't have long-run durability which is really what soloing is all about.
subs
mnk/whm for chiblasting HNM's like Kirin

mnk/nin for some mission bcnms, and ksnm(thinking ODS) and also for mid-level soloing

mnk/war standard xp pt sub, actually the standard sub for most instances.

mnk/thf just for having fun, mnks don't sataws as well as jobs like sam or drk, but it's still viable enough to not turn ppl off, and it's something that can be done when someone's bored to tears of mnk/war

oh and someone mentioned this in another thread: i don't understand why you would delete/remake characters like you do. People that do that, in my experience, are ppl who like making characters but have no inspiration to do anything with the game or don't have the determination or skill to go further, and are generally wasting their time, though if that's what you want to do, go for it. just seems like such a waste to me. changing from one job to another is fine, but makes so much more sense to lvl the other job on the same character. If you just like building characters there are better games than ffxi for that. ffxi is only a mediocre game for the first 65 or so levels. after that it's the best, but before it's just monotonous lvling up in boring areas and doing stupid uninspired missions. to each his own though i guess

thank you :D, this really helps, so far I am level 4.

I am not playing it like THAT, I am just experimenting, so far, Monk is my faveorite <3, I liked the game as soon as I hit level... !2! with my very first character.

I like its scenery and battle system and what I have witnessed of the story ;)

I intend to play up to at least being able to get through the Promathia Expansion :)

which will be awhile ._.

so yeah, happy happy happy :D

eternalshiva
04-18-2006, 12:59 PM
D: starting a new character after playing for 2 years would throw me into a depression! ZM & CoP finished with most of the missions done, 2 lvl 75 jobs and all the others between 37-50 D: I dunno how people can level more then one character XD one's time consuming enough rofl.

Markus. D
04-18-2006, 01:06 PM
*goes to search a monk list of skills*

Gustafson
04-18-2006, 04:30 PM
Playing through the Promathia expansion will most likely take you a good deal of time, but is well worth it. Here are some skills off the top of my head.

Hundred Fists: 2 hour ability (it owns)

Dodge: Increases evasion

Boost: Increase amount of damage for the next attack (boost stacks and is used to improve chi results)

Chi Blast: 3 min ability that allows you to "shoot" to cause damage or claim a mob fast. MND gear is used to boost the damage.

Chakra: Used to return some HP every 5 min. VIT gear is used to increase the amount of HP given back.

There is all the abilities I can think of. Sorry if I missed one (MNK isnt my main).

Lionx
04-19-2006, 02:17 AM
A better way to experiment is to just change jobs saving time.

Yeargdribble
04-19-2006, 02:42 AM
After all of the experimenting and research you have done you should really pick a character you like and just go with it. Don't tell me that when you are done with all of the basic jobs you'll go level XXX job to 30.. try RNG... level it and delete it. Level XXX job to 30... try NIN... level it... delete it.

You really need to pick a character and stick with it. If you wanna play a ton of jobs that's great. Race is so unimportant so if that's what you are afraid of then just go with Hume and be balance. Then play ALL the jobs you want on ONE character.

I don't wanna be mean but you CANNOT play the way you do and make it anywhere in this game. There's just too much to do. I've logged well over 200 days of play time on ONE character and haven't begun to scratch the surface of the game. There are simply things you will never be able to do the way you play.

You enjoy what you know of the story? What do you know of the story? Isn't 30ish the highest you've gotten? You can't have touched the CoP or Zilart Mission where the real meat of the stories are at. You probably didn't get up to Rank 5. Pre-Rank5 most of the nation storylines are just exposition and no real story.

I'm glad you enjoy the game but you'll enjoy it a lot more if you actually do something.

Markus. D
04-19-2006, 03:30 AM
After all of the experimenting and research you have done you should really pick a character you like and just go with it. Don't tell me that when you are done with all of the basic jobs you'll go level XXX job to 30.. try RNG... level it and delete it. Level XXX job to 30... try NIN... level it... delete it.

You really need to pick a character and stick with it. If you wanna play a ton of jobs that's great. Race is so unimportant so if that's what you are afraid of then just go with Hume and be balance. Then play ALL the jobs you want on ONE character.

I don't wanna be mean but you CANNOT play the way you do and make it anywhere in this game. There's just too much to do. I've logged well over 200 days of play time on ONE character and haven't begun to scratch the surface of the game. There are simply things you will never be able to do the way you play.

You enjoy what you know of the story? What do you know of the story? Isn't 30ish the highest you've gotten? You can't have touched the CoP or Zilart Mission where the real meat of the stories are at. You probably didn't get up to Rank 5. Pre-Rank5 most of the nation storylines are just exposition and no real story.

I'm glad you enjoy the game but you'll enjoy it a lot more if you actually do something.

:)... .... yes, I made sure this one was a hume. AND BY the way, I have only had three, my BLM Taru, and my WHM Taru... I think I also had an Elvaan in there somewhere, and I CAN play it how I want to (unless in an exp party -_-) because thats what MMORPGs are meant to be about, the goal being up to whoever is playing.

we're cool now yeah? *shakes hands with Yeargdribble and become friends*

ps: I got the skill list (gamefaqs.com), and I was wanting to have some tips for recruiting my own parties (Since apparently I wont be impromptu-ishly invited into one until level 60+).

chionos
04-19-2006, 05:35 PM
Mnk is very weak in pts until about 25. Mnk pre-25 imo is a mediocre DD w/ some defensive abilities so /war and help your tank out when pt gets into trouble. Since you won't be pumping out damage like you will at higher levels, make sure you get some good DD in your pts. Blms and Rngs are the standard DD you want. If you do have to go w/ weaker DD's, try to get good support jobs like brd and rdm.
Honestly though 90% of the time though, you're going to just take whatever you can get, bc after 5 hours of seeking or trying to start a pt, you don't care what job they are and you don't care how gimpy they are. So just try to be versatile as a player and know your job so no matter what situation you're in you can contribute to the pt and make it run well.