PDA

View Full Version : tornadOWNED

MAS82587
04-14-2006, 05:10 AM
its 11 pm here in iowa city, and we just got off of the most serious tornado warning of my life. 3 tornados were touching down in eastern iowa, and one headed straight through downtown iowa city. a dairy queen that has been here for like 50 years got completly leveled, a church roof was torn off, and many trees and traffic lights were uprooted. it went about a mile from my house, and about 400 yards from the church my parents were in. i dont think there were any serious injuries though, thank god. ive heard stuff about tornados before in our county but nothing ever IN iowa city. werid.

Stayin Dizzy
04-14-2006, 05:10 AM
totally crazy man

RSL
04-14-2006, 05:20 AM
Huh, glad you're okay!

Here in northern Iowa we didn't even have any storms. The last time my town had a serious tornado was 3 days before I was born.

eestlinc
04-14-2006, 05:26 AM
we had some bad tornados here in Atlanta last weekend. They can be pretty scary. I remember a couple really bad ones from when I lived in Ohio like the one that wiped out the town of Xenia. I actually saw that one while I was driving on the highway and i had been about 10 miles from its path a couple hours before it touched down.

Madame Adequate
04-14-2006, 05:26 AM
In England we have one tornado per epoch, so it's big news.

When I was in Missourah I was in a tornado warning once but nothing came of it.

Tornadowned is an amazing phrase. I hereby claim it in the name of Queen and Country.

radyk05
04-14-2006, 05:27 AM
3 days before I was born
3 days too early :P

glad you're ok.

Dignified Pauper
04-14-2006, 06:03 AM
This isn't even funny. I know a friend of a friend of a friend whose cousin's brother's, twice removed, fiance's friend of a friend's uncle's wife's mother lost her life in a tornado.

I demand this be closed.

-N-
04-14-2006, 06:12 AM
I thought Old Manus came up with the thread title.
I've been through some crazy tornadoes when I lived near Atlanta.

Pheesh
04-14-2006, 06:46 AM
The last time my town had a serious tornado was 3 days before I was born.

wow, the poor stork.

Well I live in australia and I don't think we get tornado's here, only tropical cyclones and they're mainly in Queensland so i've never been around one. Good that you're not hurt though.

Stay Essential
EE

Rye
04-14-2006, 12:24 PM
Here in Noo Yoik, we don't get tornados. Or any natural disasters, really, just bad thunderstorms that make the power go out for a long time. Like last night, except my power didn't go out. Only my friend's. xD We also get bad tropical storms, which are remenants of the bad hurricanes down south.

Elite Lord Sigma
04-14-2006, 01:26 PM
The only thing I see up in New York are thunderstorms, nothing too severe, though. Tornadoes only happen about once an eon around here.

Momiji
04-14-2006, 01:58 PM
Ha. Here in Northern Indiana we have tornado warnings almost weekly in the summer, and many of them touch down, just not where I'm at. Although there was this one time it came really close. I used to panic at the sight of 'Tornado Watch' on TV, but as time went by, when I see 'Tornado Warning' on TV I'm just thinking 'Heeeere we go again. :rolleyes2'.

MAS82587
04-14-2006, 02:22 PM
wow its much more serious than we thought, check out the picture and article in this link----->http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12309797/

theundeadhero
04-14-2006, 02:51 PM
Back home in Missouri we get several tornados at this time of year. I can't even count how many times we had to sit in the school basement because of a severe warning while growing up.

Jess
04-14-2006, 03:26 PM
I've never seen a tornado in my life except on movies. :jess:

Dreddz
04-14-2006, 03:58 PM
All I get is rain :)

rubah
04-14-2006, 04:05 PM
We've gotten lots of tornado warnings, and there have been some that touched down in town, but I've never even seen a funnel cloud before. I guess they don't like climbing mountains too much and would rather stay in the valley.

We can't even hear the sirens from my house either, which is weird, because all the interstate sounds down from in front of our house get carried up really well.

RSL
04-14-2006, 09:44 PM
Hey MAS82587, I saw one of your tornadoes on the news this morning. That thing was huge! And some of the guys at work were talking about it too.

SammieBabe
04-14-2006, 09:56 PM
We get water spouts (tornados over water) down in my area of Florida all the time. They rarely ever touch down though. They get alot more tornados in the panhandle and more towards the center of the state. However, we do get all kinds of other tropical weather, including hurricanes...:)